BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics BMW M3 (G80), M4 (G82), CSL and 3.0 CSL General Forum

02-29-2024, 01:54 AM   #353
Custom Install
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G82 M4 Comp X-Drive Individual

Garage List
2022 G82 XC   [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Staszek View Post
I feel like you are speaking for an entire country as well, the way you make it sound its like your entire country is driving around on summer tires all the time and are just rockstar drivers.

The interesting thing is the most sold tires in Scotland are all seasons, and a simple search pulls up 100's of threads about which winter tires to use in the northern part of the country.

So back to the original point, put on some winter tires or at least all season. Summer tires are just irresponsible in freezing temps.

Glad the OP is ok, but even happier he didnt take out anyone with his lack of judgement.
By all season you mean non performance tyres, so I’ll take that to also translate to normal tyres as we call them.
The OP was on performance tyres.
BMW supplies all performance cars to this country with performance tyres, and everyone I’ve asked who is in this configuration never changes to winters.
So my statement is correct, almost everyone drives (not like rockstars) their cars with the delivery set-up.
Performance tyres on the car in question.

Also, in my reply to this guy who’s already called me a moron, I’m a million miles away from caring how I come across in my wording.
If you actually read all my replies I agree that winter (all season) tyres are not a bad idea.
Your input is appreciated, however don’t cast judgment on me based on a reply to someone who’s obviously upset with my existence.

Thanks.
G82 M4 Comp X-Drive Individual FDG
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2024, 07:15 AM   #354
hooked
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M240i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crester View Post
Ha... funny enough I just started watching that video now.

As of right now the Michelin Pilot Alpin PA5 is the latest tire of this series. (oops... now that I finished the video I see these were the tires he was talking about)

The PA5 is supposed to be one of the best performance winter tires (if not the best) but they are not available in a lot of sizes yet. Guessing that will change as the PA4 is eventually phased out but about twice as many sizes in the PA4 compared to the PA5.
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2024, 09:25 AM   #355
Habber
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 2024 Brooklyn Grey SOLD

Garage List
  [9.83]
Glad you’re ok.

Always remember boys and girls that the summer rubber compound drastically changes when temps hit in the 30’s range let alone in the 20’s.

For those that don’t put on winters, it’s not about snow or not snow as much as how the tire feels like it goes from rubber to plastic.

Be safe everyone.
Appreciate 4
M2siast5949.00
hooked190.00
BMWbiker412.00
      02-29-2024, 10:27 AM   #356
Crester
Rep
Drives: ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooked View Post
The PA5 is supposed to be one of the best performance winter tires (if not the best) but they are not available in a lot of sizes yet. Guessing that will change as the PA4 is eventually phased out but about twice as many sizes in the PA4 compared to the PA5.
PA4's are good tires too.
Appreciate 2
hooked190.00
Seanhfx217.00
      02-29-2024, 10:32 AM   #357
Crester
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Custom Install View Post
By all season you mean non performance tyres, so I’ll take that to also translate to normal tyres as we call them.
The OP was on performance tyres.
BMW supplies all performance cars to this country with performance tyres, and everyone I’ve asked who is in this configuration never changes to winters.
So my statement is correct, almost everyone drives (not like rockstars) their cars with the delivery set-up.
Performance tyres on the car in question.

Also, in my reply to this guy who’s already called me a moron, I’m a million miles away from caring how I come across in my wording.
If you actually read all my replies I agree that winter (all season) tyres are not a bad idea.
Your input is appreciated, however don’t cast judgment on me based on a reply to someone who’s obviously upset with my existence.

Thanks.
A lot of people also text and drive... that's also just as stupid. Doesn't make it right.
Appreciate 5
M2siast5949.00
hooked190.00
BMWbiker412.00
      02-29-2024, 11:32 AM   #358
JJacksonIII
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW X7 M60i

Quote:
Originally Posted by casualDIYer View Post
Actually most accidents probably are due to a tire issue. On a track, you get an idea of how well lateral and longitudinal grip work as you go from lap to lap. On the road, unless you drove in a circle, the situation changes. That last off-ramp's traction isn't going to be the same as the next off-ramp. Pavement materials change, angle and elevation changes, weather can change, you can have debris. The road isn't a universal long stretch of constant, never changing grip. Want to push the car? Take it to a track. Fewer variables to deal with.
Really? We're blaming tires if someone wipes out on an exit ramp? And then you say that if you want to push the car take it to a track... I think we agree on that? Like, don't push your car on exit ramps to a degree that you lose control, no matter what tires you have on your car. Can we agree with that statement?
Appreciate 3
kgelfen3602265.00
G30 B581555.00
      03-01-2024, 07:34 AM   #359
bri1042
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2021 IOMG M3 6MT

Short conversation with a younger guy in my neighborhood that bought a used 2022 RWD M4C (text not necessarily 100% accurate, but correct in context). He was curious why I got the manual:

Him: "A friend of mine tried the manual and said he didn't think it had enough power down low, so I bought the Competition"

Me: "Cool, I really like the color. Beautiful car. What did you have before this one?"

Him: "This is my second car. My last one was a 2010 Corolla LE that my dad gave me."

Great that he got a nice car, but he and I have had a couple other chats over the last few months and he has zero experience with fast cars, never took an actual driver's Ed course, and knows almost nothing about cars. And when we talked about summer tires in winter, his response was that he thought about it but it was too much money to buy a second set of wheels and too much trouble to drive down to Discount Tire twice a year. I have done my best to encourage him to find a way next year, but an old guy driving a slow manual M3 isn't going to convince him of anything. It took everything I had not to directly say that he shouldn't have the car if $1200 worth of tires was too much money.

That's all it takes to end up with a smashed car and possibly damaged humans.
Appreciate 9
M2siast5949.00
BMWbiker412.00
Crester109.50
3some!24.00
msej449513.50
smithf802811.00
SheBMW232.00
      03-01-2024, 08:45 AM   #360
hooked
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M240i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by bri1042 View Post
Short conversation with a younger guy in my neighborhood that bought a used 2022 RWD M4C (text not necessarily 100% accurate, but correct in context). He was curious why I got the manual:

Him: "A friend of mine tried the manual and said he didn't think it had enough power down low, so I bought the Competition"

Me: "Cool, I really like the color. Beautiful car. What did you have before this one?"

Him: "This is my second car. My last one was a 2010 Corolla LE that my dad gave me."
That's concerning! Made me think of this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PtbcqXYfaoY
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2024, 09:26 AM   #361
bri1042
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:

Indeed. I have the same thought today as when I first saw that video, considering that the driver was 17..."Reckless Parenting" should be a thing.
Appreciate 1
hooked190.00
      03-01-2024, 09:37 AM   #362
BMWbiker
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 328i xdrive wagon

Quote:

That’s quite the BMW gathering: one either pulled over or receiving assistance; one reckless driving crash; one coincidentally just routinely driving past the crash as it happens.
      03-01-2024, 09:46 AM   #363
kgelfen360
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by bri1042 View Post
Indeed. I have the same thought today as when I first saw that video, considering that the driver was 17..."Reckless Parenting" should be a thing.
There is a kid in my neighborhood who just got g82 and he just finished high school. I was impressed. I considered buying g80 for myself was reward for like 12+ years of work.
Appreciate 3
      03-01-2024, 10:20 AM   #364
bri1042
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgelfen360 View Post
There is a kid in my neighborhood who just got g82 and he just finished high school. I was impressed. I considered buying g80 for myself was reward for like 12+ years of work.
Heh, mine was my reward for a lot more than 12 years of work. We all start somewhere, and since I started out with a rusted out 1973 Malibu in 1987, the journey has been an interesting one.
Appreciate 3
      03-01-2024, 11:05 AM   #365
casualDIYer
Major
Rep
Drives: 340i xDrive M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJacksonIII View Post
Really? We're blaming tires if someone wipes out on an exit ramp? And then you say that if you want to push the car take it to a track... I think we agree on that? Like, don't push your car on exit ramps to a degree that you lose control, no matter what tires you have on your car. Can we agree with that statement?
Blame doesn’t really capture what I’m trying to say here. The tires of a car ultimately determine the level of grip a vehicle will have. On a track one drives over the same pavement over and over giving the driver a good feel for what level of grip can be attained. Of course, if you took the same roadway over and over it would be the same. You’d have ‘grip experience’. But sometimes one drives on roads where the experience level is low to nonexistent. On unfamiliar roads the safe assumption is grip will be average or less. In winter, assume grip will always be sub optimal. If one wishes to be considered a good driver, fast reflexes help. If one wants to achieve the status of awesome driver, prediction will be just as important as reaction.
Appreciate 5
Crester109.50
BMWbiker412.00
3some!24.00
hooked190.00
      03-01-2024, 02:04 PM   #366
G MONEY
Major
Rep
Drives: 2017 458/ YAS m4

Quote:
I’m sure for the parents it’s not even a blip on the financial radar!! Damn that kid is lucky 🍀
Appreciate 1
kgelfen3602265.00
      03-01-2024, 02:37 PM   #367
BMWbiker
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 328i xdrive wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJacksonIII View Post
If the tires are contraindicated for the weather, road, and traffic conditions, yes.

That is what this whole thread is about: the misuse of summer tires in winter temperatures and road conditions.
      03-02-2024, 01:31 AM   #368
RPM33
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by G82Anxious View Post
So before these graphic images. I want everyone to know I am fairly ok. Mentally I am distraught that my baby is gone. Basically what happen is I am driving on my way to work and it's about 25-28 degrees outside and well...in the blink of an eye...black ice caused me to spin out and the rest is history...Please be careful out there.

Heartbreaking and terrible.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2024, 03:20 PM   #369
nalnass
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 G82 6MT

Quote:
You know you can install winter tires on a new car for delivery eh?
I didn’t know winter tires protect from black ice. Thanks for the tip, genius! Got any others I should try out?

No one said anything about driving on snow. I have snow tires on my x5. They still don’t help with black ice though, in case you were being serious and are that ignorant
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2024, 03:26 PM   #370
nalnass
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 G82 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWbiker View Post
Maybe.

Or put snow tires on it.

Or trailered it.

Or arranged to have it delivered to you.
I’d love to hear how any of those ideas would mitigate the risk of black ice! If you think snow tires will help, then I’ve got news for you buddy.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2024, 04:04 PM   #371
kjx
///M ♥ Recycled Dinosaurs
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M4, BMW X5 45e

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by nalnass View Post
My car came with summer tires. I had to drive it home 2 hours in January in Colorado. Should I have just left it at the dealer til May? I can’t roll my eyes any harder
Quote:
I didn’t know winter tires protect from black ice. Thanks for the tip, genius! Got any others I should try out?

No one said anything about driving on snow. I have snow tires on my x5. They still don’t help with black ice though, in case you were being serious and are that ignorant
Quote:
I’d love to hear how any of those ideas would mitigate the risk of black ice! If you think snow tires will help, then I’ve got news for you buddy.
Yes, you're right. Because even winter tires only go so far against protecting against black ice (but provably more than summer tires), your solution was to drive your new car on high-performance summer tires in cold winter conditions.

What a big-brain move. Awe inspiring.

You shouldn't call others ignorant, and then 'genius' sarcastically though. Not everyone's as smart as you.
      03-03-2024, 06:00 PM   #372
Crester
Rep

Quote:

Hey smartypants... WINTER tires help with WINTER CONDITIONS in general... hence the name. That doesn't just mean snow... it means they work better in colder temperatures. And even on ice... yes winter tires will give you a better chance of survival vs. high performance summer tires.
Appreciate 2
kjx3212.50
BMWbiker412.00
      03-03-2024, 06:16 PM   #373
kgelfen360
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Hey smartypants... WINTER tires help with WINTER CONDITIONS in general... hence the name. That doesn't just mean snow... it means they work better in colder temperatures. And even on ice... yes winter tires will give you a better chance of survival vs. high performance summer tires.
U can spin out very easily on winter tires in ice. I don’t think that’s a debate. Yes they are better then summer. But ice is ice. And rubber on ice is rubber on ice.
Studded winter tires are different story. That’s for ice.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2024, 07:57 PM   #374
kjx
///M ♥ Recycled Dinosaurs
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M4, BMW X5 45e

Garage List
Quote:
U can spin out very easily on winter tires in ice. I don’t think that’s a debate. Yes they are better then summer. But ice is ice. And rubber on ice is rubber on ice.
Studded winter tires are different story. That’s for ice.
Studded winter tires are even better for ice.

But winter tires are better on ice than all-seasons, let alone high-performance summer tires. And studded winter tires are better than performance winter tires for ice (but they won't perform as well as perf winter tires in non-icy but cold conditions either).

Your post seems to imply there is no difference by omission of stating that, so clarifying this to ensure that people who don't know any better don't take away the wrong thing.

See this video by TireRack and Bridgestone, if OP's post wasn't enough:
Crester109.50
BMWbiker412.00