BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

01-19-2010, 04:23 AM   #1
dubai135
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: 2010 135i vert msport

Question 2010 135i vert: Std Equip Stereo

My new 135i vert arrived last week.

I was not sure which config to expect for the standard equipment stereo in 2010.

I thought maybe the 6-speaker (sometimes called Base sometimes called Professional) or maybe the 10-speaker HiFi (std in 2009) -- in any event did not expect the 10-speaker DSP (Top HiFi or Logic7).

Without removing trim, I found [guesses in brackets]:
+ Professional HU
+ 2 Door Mids
+ 2 Door tweats in mirror pods
+ 2 Rear Mids [look like single cone through the grill]
+ 2 Under seat bass [grills are there and presume the cheaper mid bass are there too]
- No amps in the trunk or visible wiring
- [presume no amp behind driver side rear passenger trim but need to check]
- [presume its all driven by four channel amp in the HU]

So, that seems like 8 speakers to me (unless the rears are actually co-axial).

This does not fit the 10 speaker HiFi or the 6 speaker Base configurations that are well reported here.

I was hoping someone could save me the pain of pulling out the trim by either correcting my observations above or explaining if this is some less well reported variant for the vert of one of the systems (eg. just the base six with tweater pods thrown in parallel).

My goal is to consider some upgrading. Before I ask for some opinions on that, I want to re-read the tons of threads on upgrading. I can't make sense of those upgrading threads, however, until I am sure of what is already there.

Cheers,
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2010, 05:02 AM   #2
Blader
Lotus Exige ClubRacer
Australia
Rep
Drives: MY15 Lotus Exige CR

Garage List
2010 E88 125i  [0.00]
In Australia the standard fitment is 6 speakers on both 1 and 3 series.

2 mids front and 2 mids rear with 2 woofers under the front seats.

The Hi-Fi speaker upgrade is now 8 upgraded speakers and an additional amp instead of the 10 speakers as you no longer get the rear tweeters. This changed late last year.

2 tweeters in the front and 2 mids in the front and 2 mids in the rear with 2 woofers under the front seats.

The Hi-Fi Professional is 10 further upgraded speakers and a more powerful DSP amp.

2 tweeters and 2 mids in the front and 2 tweeters and 2 mids in the rear with 2 woofers under the front seats. In the coupe the 2 rear tweeters are co-located with the 2 rear mids.

The easiest was to confirm that you only have the mid range 8 speaker Hi-Fi is go to the HU settings by pressing the musical note symbol on the bottom right hand side of the HU and then press the soft key under the right arrow symbol to go to page 2. If you don't have any EQ setting options or a music or cinema option then you don't have Hi-Fi Professional just the Hi-Fi speaker and amp upgrade.
      01-19-2010, 12:15 PM   #3
dubai135
United Arab Emirates
Rep

Blader,

For the 8 speaker HiFi upgrade you mention, do you know where the 'additional amp' is located?

I have no amp in the trunk well but am now encouraged to remove the trim in the rear passenger driver side panel to check if there is an amp there.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2010, 03:39 PM   #4
Blader
Lotus Exige ClubRacer
Australia
Rep
Drives: MY15 Lotus Exige CR

Garage List
2010 E88 125i  [0.00]
Sorry I can't help with that as I have only seen the setup in a car on the showroom floor and I usually get frowned at when I start pulling panels off in the showroom
      01-20-2010, 03:45 PM   #5
mshahidz
Major
Rep
Drives: M4, 991 GT3

check for your amp, its under the trunk lining behind the battery area...if you have the amp them you have the hifi
      01-20-2010, 11:32 PM   #6
dubai135
United Arab Emirates
Rep

mohammadz,

No amps in the trunk or under the trunk lining. That cavity next to the battery is empty and no visible wiring either.

I read a post about one variant having an amp behind the trim on in the rear passenger compartment on the drivers side. Going to check there when I have some time to take it apart hopefully this weekend.

Will report back here if I figure this one out -- in case it helps someone in the future.

Cheers
Appreciate 0