BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BMW 7-Series Forums > (G70) 7-series and BMW i7 General Discussions

04-02-2023, 03:28 PM   #1
DoubleEspresso
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 40M, X5 50M, 760i

Bowers & Wilkins Diamond Surround Sound System Sound Distortion

Has anyone else a problem with the Bowers & Wilkins Diamond Surround Sound System.

I get random sound distortion 6 times out of 10. Only short term remedy is to reset idrive or do a full reset to factory settings.

Also my idrive screen randomly turns dark while driving and most major functions of the car can't be controlled anymore.

BMW is very unresponsive and dealership does nothing because they look 30 seconds at it and say everything works .

I feel like my 760i is not ready for the mass market or a complete lemon in terms of electronics and software.

Appreciate 0
      04-02-2023, 05:04 PM   #2
AlteBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 760ix; '23 X3; '23 MB wgn

Garage List
Seems like you are having a lot of problems. The idrive rebooting is certainly not normal. I don't know about the BW as I've had no experience with it. Have you tried moving this from a service advisor to someone else at the dealership? (you don't say where you are) or to BMWNA? When I say "moving" I mean quietly saying you need a better response than shrugged shoulders. My experience is quietly expressed dissatisfaction can be more effective than angry frustation, even if you are justified in being angrily frustrated. You can always also try a different dealer -- some are more customer-oriented than others.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2023, 10:11 PM   #3
patrikr
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 760i, 2020 Model X LR

I have something similar but I think it’s related to my Wi-Fi/data connection chip/software on the car. For example, if I use the built-in Spotify app, more often than not when I come back and start the car again I get some weird static/distortion every 5–10 seconds. Sometimes it happens when using CarPlay as well. The fix is to change audio source and change back and the static is gone.
Appreciate 1
AlteBMW729.00
      04-03-2023, 09:18 AM   #4
AlteBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrikr View Post
I have something similar but I think it’s related to my Wi-Fi/data connection chip/software on the car. For example, if I use the built-in Spotify app, more often than not when I come back and start the car again I get some weird static/distortion every 5–10 seconds. Sometimes it happens when using CarPlay as well. The fix is to change audio source and change back and the static is gone.
This is actually good to hear as it seems it can be solved with a software update.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2023, 08:07 PM   #5
DoubleEspresso
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 40M, X5 50M, 760i

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrikr View Post
Interesting, unfortunately this does not work for me. Only temporary fix is an idrive reset.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2023, 12:01 PM   #6
GuynamedGuy
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 7 series

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleEspresso View Post
Has anyone else a problem with the Bowers & Wilkins Diamond Surround Sound System.

I get random sound distortion 6 times out of 10. Only short term remedy is to reset idrive or do a full reset to factory settings.

Also my idrive screen randomly turns dark while driving and most major functions of the car can't be controlled anymore.

BMW is very unresponsive and dealership does nothing because they look 30 seconds at it and say everything works .

I feel like my 760i is not ready for the mass market or a complete lemon in terms of electronics and software.

https://youtu.be/lprfKYHCct4

https://youtu.be/eVSYUk3do-I
I also had the exact same problem. I don’t have the upgraded b&w sound system. I took it in for service and they claimed they fixed the issue.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2023, 12:24 PM   #7
AlteBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleEspresso View Post

It may be your dealer is not ready or willing. There are dealers who are lemons too.
Appreciate 1
Mr.blue223.00