BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series GT (Gran Turismo) Forums > BMW 6-Series GT (Gran Turismo) Talk

12-14-2022, 12:06 PM   #1
Corkie
Registered
Rep
Drives: 640d M Sport

Instrument cluster blank on startup

Well this happened the other night (2018 630d GT) - no instrument cluster at all after starting the car. Called BMW Assist (still in warranty) who came the next morning when it had reset and said “modern software, it happens sometimes”. Also said that if it happens again, letting the car sleep (20-30 minutes) will solve it! Nice.

Anyone else had the instrument cluster fail on startup?

Phil
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-16-2022, 10:25 PM   #2
Gilgorm
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 640i Xdrive GT

No, but my entire iDrive was replaced under warranty. As months of waiting and as bizarre as it sounds the sunroof was screwed up by BMW during re-initialization of the entire car. As a result, I got a complete new sunroof replacement as well.
You have no idea how many things need the iDrive including the radio, windows etc. If it needs coding but the iDrive is gone the car is a pain to drive.

Electrical gremlins are busy in every modern car. It sounds like you're lucky? and can get it replaced. Keep notes if and when it happens again. They'll come in handy if you need to escalate at the dealer or with BMW.

BTW, I keep my fob in a steel cookie tin to ensure the car does sleep every night. Its also a super easy way to prevent thieves from cloning your key from outside your house.
I tried RFID envelopes that didn't work. The tin completely prevents any signal from getting to the car--even from two feet away.
Good luck.
2018 640ix GT; Alpine White, Blk Nappa, Piano; M-sport, Premium (Ceramic, SIRIUS, Soft-close, Vent/Massage Comfort seats, Surround, Sunshades, Parking Ass't), Advanced Driver Ass't (Lane keep, Steering/Lane control, Cross traffic, ACC with Stop/Go), Smartphone, Tint.
Retired: 78 300D, 81 300SD, 87 190E, 88 Porsche 924, 89 260E, 93 300E, 97 Volvo 850, 98 E320, 03 BMW 325iT, 02 C230 Sport Coupe, 08 BMW 535i, 12 BMW 535i X-drive
Appreciate 0