BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-07-2017, 01:08 PM   #1
Jorgensen54
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2008 AW/AG 135i 6MT

USB Retrofit

I've recently finished a permanent tablet install and would like to complete it with a Viseeo Tune2Air for Bluetooth audio.. however, I lack a USB port.
I haven't had an opportunity to poke around in the center console to see if there are existing pin-outs for it, but does anyone know off of the top of their heads whether it'll be a simple plug and play or will I have other problems? <--this is given I buy the OEM BMW plug to replace aux with aux+USB.

Ideally, I'd like to leave the cigarette lighter port unused. I don't care much for steering wheel functions(volume will work regardless since it's just an extension for aux.) and Pandora will be the primary stream.

I have too many other projects to get too deep into this right now(wrapping the car, building custom headlights, building a custom pistol, piecing together a tattoo kit) but I wouldn't mind having this completed just for my commutes.

Also, maybe anyone that can shed light on this might have some information on efficient ways to charge a tablet simultaneous to OTG use... or maybe I'm just getting forum-greedy

Bottom line because it's Friday and my typing has become redundant:
Can I simply swap my existing aux for aux+USB?
What splitters/y-cable works for simultaneous charge+OTG?
      04-09-2017, 04:38 PM   #2
reisf
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: LBB M2

No unfortunately its not that straight forward. You will need to upgrade your MULF to an MULF2HIGH and run additional wiring for tune2air to work.

If you don't care about steering wheel controls, buy a simple bluetooth/aux adapter (probably cheaper) and the oem usb/aux socket. Then take a parallel off the cigarette lighter and wire it to the usb socket. You will probably need resistors to drop the voltage to 5V though.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2017, 09:42 AM   #3
Duesentrieb
Enlisted Member
Germany
Rep
Drives: E81 116i, F31 LCI 320d

I don't understand your setup. I know you wanted to install a tablet into the dashboard. What happened to your radio? Have you installed the tablet in addition to the radio? What can you control through the tablet?

As @reisf already written: The USB isn’t plug & play. What kind of radio you have installed?
And please don't use a resistor for voltage drop down.

Greetings

Daniel
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2017, 12:25 PM   #4
Jorgensen54
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

I have a tablet + OEM Professional. The tablet is 4G, so it's functions are essentially limitless(MHD, Pandora, GPS, etc..)

I don't mind hardwiring a parallel USB socket with a cheaper adapter. I was hoping I'd get lucky with OEM parts though.
      04-10-2017, 12:55 PM   #5
Duesentrieb
Enlisted Member
Germany
Rep
Drives: E81 116i, F31 LCI 320d

Ok, so in your case the audio output is controlled by the radio.

The OEM solution isn't cheap. You need a radio professional with USB connector. So you need to swap the HU. After this, it would be plug and play: a cable and the USB socket.

The Aux-IN adapter would be cheaper but you can't control music via the steering wheel or radio and the audio quality isn't as good as through USB.

Greetings

Daniel
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2017, 01:36 PM   #6
Jorgensen54
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Thanks for the info guys.

Found the actual kit and I'm not interested in doing this at the moment:

http://www.zen104526.zen.co.uk/320d/...trofit%201.pdf