Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Wheels | Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

08-21-2016, 07:17 PM   #1
BimmerFix
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 24' M3 Competition RWD

Need better tires after tune

Long story short, car has intakes and hex tune. I definitely need stickier and/or wider tires. Traction control keeps kicking in, and I don't want to drive with TC off completely on public roads all the time. But besides that I need the car to hook up & put the power down much better. This shit just ain't cutting it. I'm currently on stock ZCP 20's & Michellin Pilot Super Sports. 265/30 F and 285/30 R . And yeah I know my tires choices are limited aren't they. So I can't change my rims period. And this will mainly be for street use, and maybe a future track day ( never tracked before ) Should I just get the Cup 2's in 265/35 Front and 295/30 Rears and call it a day. But I'm kinda worried about how they perform in the wet or rain to be exact. I live in SoCal so, should I really be worried about it that much. And lastly, this is a longshot but, I seen on tire rack that they make the Bridestone RE-71s in 20's @ 285/35R20 , would they work for Rear tires on my ZCP rims, and just run a different brand or set upfront. I highly doubt it, because it would compromise handling I'm guessing, but just not absolutely sure. Any insight on what my options are here, or am I pretty much SOL
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2016, 11:12 PM   #2
m4rawrr
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BSM M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerFix View Post
Long story short, car has intakes and hex tune. I definitely need stickier and/or wider tires. Traction control keeps kicking in, and I don't want to drive with TC off completely on public roads all the time. But besides that I need the car to hook up & put the power down much better. This shit just ain't cutting it. I'm currently on stock ZCP 20's & Michellin Pilot Super Sports. 265/30 F and 285/30 R . And yeah I know my tires choices are limited aren't they. So I can't change my rims period. And this will mainly be for street use, and maybe a future track day ( never tracked before ) Should I just get the Cup 2's in 265/35 Front and 295/30 Rears and call it a day. But I'm kinda worried about how they perform in the wet or rain to be exact. I live in SoCal so, should I really be worried about it that much. And lastly, this is a longshot but, I seen on tire rack that they make the Bridestone RE-71s in 20's @ 285/35R20 , would they work for Rear tires on my ZCP rims, and just run a different brand or set upfront. I highly doubt it, because it would compromise handling I'm guessing, but just not absolutely sure. Any insight on what my options are here, or am I pretty much SOL
Get the Cup 2's! I went canyon driving today and with 265/305 re71r tires I hooked every single time I floored it.. Jb4 + dp + e85.. It felt amazing how it grips and just launches you.. When the tires were around 120F I was able to roll off 1st gear with just a little bit of traction loss/chirping and it took off..
I can't imagine what the cup2's would be like once warmed up!

Also even when I had my continental tires I drove in the city with traction control off 100% of the time and I'm not an expert driver at all..
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2016, 02:31 PM   #3
TRZ06
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16' M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by m4rawrr
Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerFix View Post
Get the Cup 2's! I went canyon driving today and with 265/305 re71r tires I hooked every single time I floored it.. Jb4 + dp + e85.. It felt amazing how it grips and just launches you.. When the tires were around 120F I was able to roll off 1st gear with just a little bit of traction loss/chirping and it took off..
I can't imagine what the cup2's would be like once warmed up!

Also even when I had my continental tires I drove in the city with traction control off 100% of the time and I'm not an expert driver at all..
I have no first hand knowledge of this, but I have heard that the traction level between RE71r and Sport Cup 2 tires are not that different.

I've been debating moving from RE71r to Sport Cup 2, but I have been told multiple times, that it won't give me much more traction.
13' Audi TTRS (APR stage 1, MSS springs)
09' C6 Z06
08' M3 Interlagos Blue: 6sp, Tech.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2016, 04:05 PM   #4
m4rawrr
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BSM M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRZ06 View Post
I have no first hand knowledge of this, but I have heard that the traction level between RE71r and Sport Cup 2 tires are not that different.

I've been debating moving from RE71r to Sport Cup 2, but I have been told multiple times, that it won't give me much more traction.
If you're just looking to go fast on the streets or canyon driving then yea there might not be a huge difference like there is coming from the stock tires.. But if you're tracking I would think the PSC2 > RE71R...
I'll probalby try the PSC2 for shits and giggles once I'm done with these re71r's that I just got but so far I LOVE these tires..
Appreciate 1
BimmerFix1408.50