BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics BMW M3 (G80), M4 (G82), CSL and 3.0 CSL General Forum

12-17-2021, 11:11 PM   #1
cashsmoney
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Tundra

Frozen paint longevity?

Hello,
Well the frozen paint looks amazing when it's new off the showroom, what's everyone's though on the longevity of frozen paint? With not having the option to really do any paint correction, buffing, or anything like that what will it look like say 10-12 years down the line? Sure a polished clear coat gets and shows swirl marks light scratches easier they can be corrected unlike a matte paint.

I plan on ordering an M3 and really like the frozen color but I plan on keeping the car for a long time and want to keep it looking good. I know PPF with a ceramic is a option but it can only do so much.

I was thinking possibly ordering a metallic color then getting it wrapped in something with a matte finish, then possibly removing the wrap after 5-7 years and then have a fresh paint and new color just to change things up. I guess the other option is to get the matte now then if down the line it starts showing it's age get it wrapped then. What's everyone's thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2021, 11:56 PM   #2
kjx
///M ♥ Recycled Dinosaurs
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M4, BMW X5 45e

Garage List
If you have full body PPF, the paint is fully protected against regular wear and tear including rock chips, swirl marks, scratches, etc.

Frozen paint is best for people who won't keep their car very long and don't want to pay for a full body PPF (leasers for example). Most other people are better served getting whatever color they want and getting a matte PPF on top.

Whether that results in as authentic an outcome as frozen paint itself is something I can't speak to though. But it'd be easily the option I'd go with if I wanted frozen.

Matte PPF over frozen is a total waste of frozen paint in my opinion. I've not seen anything conclusive saying matte over matte is better than matte over metallic.
      12-17-2021, 11:59 PM   #3
AndroidRobot
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Porsche Boxster GTS

Garage List
  [0.00]
2022 Porsche Boxste ...  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjx View Post
If you have full body PPF, the paint is fully protected against regular wear and tear including rock chips, swirl marks, scratches, etc.

Frozen paint is best for people who won't keep their car very long and don't want to pay for a full body PPF (leasers for example). Most other people are better served getting whatever color they want and getting a matte PPF on top.

Whether that results in as authentic an outcome as frozen paint itself is something I can't speak to though. But it'd be easily the option I'd go with if I wanted frozen.

Matte PPF over frozen is a total waste of frozen paint in my opinion. I've not seen anything conclusive saying matte over matte is better than matte over metallic.
You get PPF over frozen for rock chips and debris since you can't touch up the panel, it'll have to be entirely repainted. If I had a frozen paint I'd wrap the whole car for this reason.
2018 BMW M2 Mineral Grey(SOLD)
2019 BMW X5 50i Carbon Black/Tartufo (SOLD)
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2021, 01:25 PM   #4
retroviol3t
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 Jahre - Techno Violet

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'Cane View Post
A friend of mine just got his M5 CS delivered (frozen deep green) and they had to respray the rear bumper at the VDC and it does not match. So yeah, get the PPF done.
Isn't matte PPF like $10k? Why not just get the car re-sprayed entirely.. should be similar price?

Maybe I'm wrong :
      12-18-2021, 01:55 PM   #5
Forzanerazzurri
Banned
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 Coupe/G80 M3CX

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by frozenrobot View Post
Isn't matte PPF like $10k? Why not just get the car re-sprayed entirely.. should be similar price?

Maybe I'm wrong :
Matte ppf is about half that and a proper respray is like double that.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2021, 01:57 PM   #6
retroviol3t
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 Jahre - Techno Violet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forzanerazzurri View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by frozenrobot View Post

Maybe I'm wrong :
Matte ppf is about half that and a proper respray is like double that.
My problem is I plan on probably trading in after 4-5 years and getting a new one lol

Not sure it's worth the investment to me IDK
      12-18-2021, 02:21 PM   #7
FISH22
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 Competition

Garage List
2021 BMW M3C  [10.00]
2011 BMW M3  [10.00]
Lots of people get spooked with frozen. Most of the opinions are from people that do not own one.

I’ve had my frozen white G80 for 7 months now, 6500 miles. It’s a daily driver. Sees all types of weather, and sits outside 99% of the time. Within the first week of owning it, I invested in quality matte paint products from Dr Beasley’s. I also applied their matte ceramic coating. Pricey kit, but worth it for its “solids” and ease of use.

The key to keep frozen looking good, is all in the washing process. Lots of foam, quality microfibers and wash mitts. Ive learned a lot from Dr Beasley’s; they instruct quite a bit on how you never want to rub the paint too much, but if there are stains or heavily soiled spots, chemical removal is the only safe way. I try to wash every 2 weeks.

My car is not PPF’d, as it takes away from the frozen experience. Plenty of cars are getting satin PPF over gloss finishes. Looks cool, but does not look anywhere near as stunning as frozen. It’s a pretty unique and beautiful finish.

Damaged paint can get tricky with matching, but that’s the same for any tri-coat color.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2021, 05:13 PM   #8
kjx
///M ♥ Recycled Dinosaurs
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M4, BMW X5 45e

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndroidRobot View Post
You get PPF over frozen for rock chips and debris since you can't touch up the panel, it'll have to be entirely repainted. If I had a frozen paint I'd wrap the whole car for this reason.
Which is my point -- if you're going to get PPF (like I have with my whole car), why would you pay for frozen paint in the first place? It's not that frozen is giving you some base color you can't get anyway in metallic or uni. Once you've got matte PPF on top, no one would be able to tell the difference. A regular Portimao blue car with matte PPF would look practically exactly like one that came with frozen paint and got matte PPF on top.
      12-18-2021, 05:45 PM   #9
jeffrc3m3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: G80

Quote:
Originally Posted by FISH22 View Post
Lots of people get spooked with frozen. Most of the opinions are from people that do not own one.

I’ve had my frozen white G80 for 7 months now, 6500 miles. It’s a daily driver. Sees all types of weather, and sits outside 99% of the time. Within the first week of owning it, I invested in quality matte paint products from Dr Beasley’s. I also applied their matte ceramic coating. Pricey kit, but worth it for its “solids” and ease of use.

The key to keep frozen looking good, is all in the washing process. Lots of foam, quality microfibers and wash mitts. Ive learned a lot from Dr Beasley’s; they instruct quite a bit on how you never want to rub the paint too much, but if there are stains or heavily soiled spots, chemical removal is the only safe way. I try to wash every 2 weeks.

My car is not PPF’d, as it takes away from the frozen experience. Plenty of cars are getting satin PPF over gloss finishes. Looks cool, but does not look anywhere near as stunning as frozen. It’s a pretty unique and beautiful finish.

Damaged paint can get tricky with matching, but that’s the same for any tri-coat color.
Agree completely. As a frozen owner it's not been a big deal. Sure there is a risk, but that's with every paint to a certain extent. No one plans on getting their paint beat up for whatever reason. I did get ppf on front bumper because I know that will get beat up. Rest of the car has high quality ceramic coating. I've had salt on my car for a week, came right off with no residue or staining.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2021, 05:46 PM   #10
psylovibe
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: m3

Quote:
Which is my point -- if you're going to get PPF (like I have with my whole car), why would you pay for frozen paint in the first place? It's not that frozen is giving you some base color you can't get anyway in metallic or uni. Once you've got matte PPF on top, no one would be able to tell the difference. A regular Portimao blue car with matte PPF would look practically exactly like one that came with frozen paint and got matte PPF on top.
That's not true. If I recall a forum member was planning to do exactly that. The PPF looked nothing alike, and decided against the matte ppf and went clear. If you are not trying to match the frozen look then I totally agree going down this path.
Appreciate 1
Seedster2279.00
      12-18-2021, 06:03 PM   #11
AndroidRobot
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Porsche Boxster GTS

Garage List
  [0.00]
2022 Porsche Boxste ...  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndroidRobot View Post
Matte PPF over normal paint looks different than matte PPF over frozen so that's why plus you don't need to wrap the whole frozen car if you don't want to
2018 BMW M2 Mineral Grey(SOLD)
2019 BMW X5 50i Carbon Black/Tartufo (SOLD)
Appreciate 1
psylovibe1030.00
      12-18-2021, 09:40 PM   #12
Alpine300zhp
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 24 M4 Comp RWD

FWIW, think the idea of spending thousands of dollars to protect paint is insane. If I was worried about longevity anything car related, the obvious solution, to me, is to do a lease.
jwt2440180.00
Seedster2279.00
maelfyn156.50
      12-18-2021, 10:20 PM   #13
Forzanerazzurri
Banned
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine300zhp View Post
FWIW, think the idea of spending thousands of dollars to protect paint is insane. If I was worried about longevity anything car related, the obvious solution, to me, is to do a lease.
I think the idea of blowing thousands of dollars on a lease is insane.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2021, 12:15 AM   #14
jwt2440
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M4 - 6MT Triple Black

Quote:
Quote:
Leasing gives a full tax write off for business owners for the entire amount of your lease payments. These cars are under 5000 pounds so if you purchase you can only depreciate a fixed dollar amount which takes a lot longer for the tax savings. Then you have to recapture when you sell and it's a pain in the behind, at least for me.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2021, 01:44 AM   #15
cashsmoney
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Tundra

Quote:

I was actually thinking of getting a color vinyl wrap over some polished paint color.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2021, 06:26 AM   #16
TrevorM3
Banned
Rep
Drives: 6.3 AMG

Quote:

becasue you dont understand it.
Appreciate 4
Limegrntaln13477.50
Gfit2716.00
jwt2440180.00
      12-19-2021, 06:29 AM   #17
TrevorM3
Banned
Rep
Drives: 6.3 AMG

Quote:
Originally Posted by FISH22 View Post

thank you for the useful info.

Fyi, frozen paint is not tri-stage. It's your color coat, then clearcoat. Frozen paint goes on just like regular clearcoat, then dries to a matte finish.

An actual "tri-coat" finish would be BMW mineral white. Which is white, then followed by the pearl coat, then clear, hence the term "tri-coat"
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2021, 06:32 AM   #18
Waterbelly
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3M Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwt2440 View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Leasing gives a full tax write off for business owners for the entire amount of your lease payments. These cars are under 5000 pounds so if you purchase you can only depreciate a fixed dollar amount which takes a lot longer for the tax savings. Then you have to recapture when you sell and it's a pain in the behind, at least for me.
I think the idea of my paying (via taxes) for your lease of a frozen color M3 for "business" is insane.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2021, 06:45 AM   #19
Alpine300zhp
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 24 M4 Comp RWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterbelly View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwt2440 View Post
Quote:
Quote:
I think the idea of my paying (via taxes) for your lease of a frozen color M3 for "business" is insane.
With that logic, I'd like to see what you think about the deductible corporate expenses of many businesses. It would likely blow your mind.
jwt2440180.00
      12-19-2021, 07:21 AM   #20
Custom Install
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G82 M4 Comp X-Drive Individual

Garage List
2022 G82 XC   [10.00]
Back to frozen paint please ……..
G82 M4 Comp X-Drive Individual FDG
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2021, 07:32 AM   #21
FISH22
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 Competition

Garage List
2021 BMW M3C  [10.00]
2011 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrevorM3 View Post
thank you for the useful info.

Fyi, frozen paint is not tri-stage. It's your color coat, then clearcoat. Frozen paint goes on just like regular clearcoat, then dries to a matte finish.

An actual "tri-coat" finish would be BMW mineral white. Which is white, then followed by the pearl coat, then clear, hence the term "tri-coat"
Clarification; I was referencing frozen brilliant white. That is indeed a tri-coat color.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2021, 12:02 PM   #22
Forzanerazzurri
Banned
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrevorM3 View Post
becasue you dont understand it.
Yes, I am a stupid man with no finance education at all. Please help me, please explain the ways of the lease to me Trevor.
Appreciate 0