BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics BMW M3 (G80), M4 (G82), CSL and 3.0 CSL General Forum

11-11-2023, 08:57 PM   #1
MadBimmeRad
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M235i, 420i, and now the M2 CS

Garage List
Greetings folks

I have a perplexing issue with my new frozen Brooklyn Grey which I haven't been able to correct and it's bugging me.

The car arrived a few days ago and had watermarks on it even though it was supposedly transported with an enclosed carrier. It had left the dealership in perfect condition.

Worse yet, what I through was water condensation in the paint, turned out to be an oily substance sprayed on the car on two seperate areas.

No treatment has been able to remove it - I hope someone can help with some ideas - for context, I can't get Dr Beasley's for another few weeks (living in Australia).

In one of the images, you can see my finger mark wiping what I thought at the time to be water condensation.

In another image, if you zoom it, you'll see the spray spots seemingly "etched" into the paintwork.
Attached Images

11-11-2023, 09:38 PM   #2
Needsdecaf
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2024 G80 Comp xDrive

Oh man, that sucks. I hope you took pics / videos before it got in the carrier. I wonder if it got sprayed with something like hydraulic fluid or grease from the truck?

Hoping for a quick resolution.
Appreciate 2
      11-11-2023, 10:09 PM   #3
MadBimmeRad
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Needsdecaf View Post
Oh man, that sucks. I hope you took pics / videos before it got in the carrier. I wonder if it got sprayed with something like hydraulic fluid or grease from the truck?

Hoping for a quick resolution.
Yeah, we have photos of the car prior to being loaded; it's something new altogether.

Makes me furious because I went to extreme measures trying to ensure nothing like this would happen; yet, here we are!!
      11-11-2023, 11:11 PM   #4
chicagofan00
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 M60i

Garage List
2024 BMW X5 M60i  [10.00]
You could try a clay bar on the CF roof and rear glass. If that doesn’t work, likely needs a bit of polishing compound.

As for the paint, I’ve never worked with frozen/matte paint before so I don’t have any ideas there unfortunately.

A good detail shop should be able to get everything looking like new…I would hope.

Current - 2024 G05 X5 ///M60i in Java Green
Past - 2005 E53 X5 3.0i in Titanium Silver; 2008 E92 335i in Montego Blue; 2019 G01 X3 M40i in Glacier Silver; 2022 G80 M3 Competition in Twilight Purple
Appreciate 1
      11-12-2023, 10:10 AM   #5
CMW33
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 G80 Comp

I agree with Needsdecaf that it looks like some kind of chemical got on the car during transit.

Have you been in touch with the dealer to let them know what happened? Did they suggest anything? It looks like you documented everything thoroughly. Make sure you document what steps you are taking to fix the damage, because I am worried this may require more than a thorough paint correction/detail...
Appreciate 1
      11-12-2023, 01:40 PM   #6
kjx
///M ♥ Recycled Dinosaurs
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M4, BMW X5 45e

Garage List
If it was clean when it was loaded, and showed up like this at the destination, it's obviously on the transporter to make it right.

But the presupposition there is that you pointed it out to them and had it documented when you took custody of the car from them.

There are compounds that can help clear that up from glass. And for paint, polishing can usually get rid of such issues - but this really only applies to glossy clears. You may have to get the dealer do their best to correct this, but it's entirely likely that you'll need to respray the matte clear coat.

This is unfortunately the problem with frozen paints and why many people but glossy versions and then apply frozen PPF on top. You may be able to look at polishing the matte clear coat and applying matte PPF on top to return this to a form that works for you - if it turns out the transporter washes their hands off this and you're SoL.

This really sucks.
      11-12-2023, 02:12 PM   #7
GregM4
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: VERDE ERMES G82 M4 Xdrive

Firstly I presume the transport included full insurance. You have documented proof it was not the upon loading.

Secondly, I knew someone had a similar issue. The truck carried cars on two levels. His car got damaged by fluid leaking from a car above. Not sure what the fluid was but it was an oily substance.

Good luck with the fix and I am sure the transport should fix it. Being. Matt paint I would take it to a detailer to rectify. Good luck.
SOLD - E93 Burgundy
Appreciate 2
      11-12-2023, 02:40 PM   #8
Emtoo
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M2C Buyer

You need to think through whose responsibility the car was when this presumably occured and have them involved in agreeing and funding the work involved to getting it back to great condition

Anything tht you independantly do could make your situation worse and more complicated
Appreciate 1
      11-12-2023, 05:22 PM   #9
CJ421
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Garage List
I'm sorry to see this.
I would get a professional opinion from a detail shop that is familiar with matte paint and can tell you if there's a remedy. If they can fix it, I'd take them up on it.

Beyond that, there is no correcting matte paint. The only thing I can suggest is BMW's chemical decontamination kit (part no 83-12-5-A16-474). If it doesn't remove what you're seeing, then I think you're looking at a respray.

Charles
      11-12-2023, 06:58 PM   #10
Frosty_M4
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW M4 G82 Comp X-Drive

Garage List
2015 Audi S5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadBimmeRad View Post
Greetings folks

I have a perplexing issue with my new frozen Brooklyn Grey which I haven't been able to correct and it's bugging me.

The car arrived a few days ago and had watermarks on it even though it was supposedly transported with an enclosed carrier. It had left the dealership in perfect condition.

Worse yet, what I through was water condensation in the paint, turned out to be an oily substance sprayed on the car on two seperate areas.

No treatment has been able to remove it - I hope someone can help with some ideas - for context, I can't get Dr Beasley's for another few weeks (living in Australia).

In one of the images, you can see my finger mark wiping what I thought at the time to be water condensation.

In another image, if you zoom it, you'll see the spray spots seemingly "etched" into the paintwork.

Omg, i’m sorry you have to deal with this.. I have a frozen brilliant white M4 coming from factory to FL in a couple weeks. I will update you on the condition of my paint upon delivery. I know the car gets shipped with a big white sticker on the rear windshield saying something like, “Do not wash, frozen paint”..
Dr Beasleys is what everyone here swears by and I hope the decontamination product works on it. The gloss parts like the roof and trim will be able to get corrected with a polisher. And fingers crossed the Beasleys works on the paint water spots/imperfections.
Let us know what you do to fix it brother, try not to stress to much and enjoy the car. (I would be pissed too)
Appreciate 2
BimmerFix1390.50
      11-12-2023, 09:07 PM   #11
mikecsa
Private
Rep
Drives: S54 Z3M

I use this stuff on my Frozen BW M4:
3D Eraser Gel Hard Water Spot Remover

Here is what guided my decision:
Appreciate 3
Needsdecaf6606.00
holmar888289.00
      11-13-2023, 09:24 AM   #12
Evinrude1975
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 CS '24

Mine is frozen white. It’s not a paint.. it’s a pain. Super delicate and not easy to maintain. That’s why last week I ended up wrapping the car with XPEL. There is a great video by Ammo that can help you to try to fix the problem.
Appreciate 2
      11-13-2023, 09:30 AM   #13
MadBimmeRad
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evinrude1975 View Post
Mine is frozen white. It’s not a paint.. it’s a pain. Super delicate and not easy to maintain. That’s why last week I ended up wrapping the car with XPEL. There is a great video by Ammo that can help you to try to fix the problem.
Thank you for this

I actually finished watching this moments ago.

My problem is that the oil has stained the paint and left marring on two spots on my CSL.

Do you think the PPF will help hide them?
      11-13-2023, 09:43 AM   #14
Evinrude1975
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 CS '24

Quote:
Thank you for this

I actually finished watching this moments ago.

My problem is that the oil has stained the paint and left marring on two spots on my CSL.

Do you think the PPF will help hide them?
I’m not an expert, but I have been educating myself since a couple of years. Again, I’m not a professional detailer. As a personal suggestion Before to install any PPF, I believe you should fix the problems. IMO, you could try to use some chemical products, testing them on some hidden spot. If you are not sure how to do it, I’d suggest to visit a professional car detail shop in your area
Appreciate 1
      11-13-2023, 09:45 AM   #15
MadBimmeRad
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evinrude1975 View Post
I’m not an expert, but I have been educating myself since a couple of years. Again, I’m not a professional detailer. As a personal suggestion Before to install any PPF, I believe you should fix the problems. IMO, you could try to use some chemical products, testing them on some hidden spot. If you are not sure how to do it, I’d suggest to visit a professional car detail shop in your area
Thank you very much
      11-15-2023, 09:02 PM   #16
5ilver-5amurai
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

Dawn dish soap with warm water only until you get a ph neutral shampoo. Don't do anything that would excessively rub the paint since the matte effect lives in the clear coat layer.

*edit* Use only need to use a small amount of dish soap not a ton of it.

Had magno paint for 4 years and it was incredible once I got used to it. Enjoy!
Appreciate 1
      11-15-2023, 10:55 PM   #17
lovesm3s
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M cars

dang this sucks! I know you waited so long for this. I think you can try to correct and then just apply matte ppf over and it should look fairly uniform. Sounds like the transporter is responsible
      11-16-2023, 01:23 AM   #18
MadBimmeRad
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5ilver-5amurai View Post
Dawn dish soap with warm water only until you get a ph neutral shampoo. Don't do anything that would excessively rub the paint since the matte effect lives in the clear coat layer.

*edit* Use only need to use a small amount of dish soap not a ton of it.

Had magno paint for 4 years and it was incredible once I got used to it. Enjoy!
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesm3s View Post
dang this sucks! I know you waited so long for this. I think you can try to correct and then just apply matte ppf over and it should look fairly uniform. Sounds like the transporter is responsible
I just got a mind numbing quote for paint correction and PPF

$8K for paint correction and $14k for PPF - because, and I quote, "no matter how good we are, and no matter how many times we try, you will never get all the marks off".

Guess how I'm feeling
      11-16-2023, 01:30 AM   #19
lovesm3s
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M cars

Quote:

$8K for paint correction and $14k for PPF - because, and I quote, "no matter how good we are, and no matter how many times we try, you will never get all the marks off".

Guess how I'm feeling
Wow 😮. That’s insane how expensive it is. Is it just rough? Did the paint bubble?
      11-16-2023, 03:13 AM   #20
Forzanerazzurri
Banned
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 Coupe/G80 M3CX

Garage List
Quote:

Guess how I'm feeling
That quote tells me they want nothing to do with your car. This is shit for you but it's why frozen paint is such a bad idea.
Appreciate 1
      11-16-2023, 03:44 AM   #21
HudsonHornett
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 CSL, BMW X3MC

Quote:

Guess how I'm feeling
OMG - what a ridiculous situation! Buddy, I would get in touch with the transporting firm and get them to sort it out. That paint was perfect and should have been delivered in perfect condition. Make them pay the bill to sort it out. In your shoes I’d be asking them to pay for a full re-spray.
      11-16-2023, 06:05 AM   #22
MadBimmeRad
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesm3s View Post
Wow 😮. That’s insane how expensive it is. Is it just rough? Did the paint bubble?
No bubbles - it's in Australian dollars which is roughly 67¢ in US dollars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forzanerazzurri View Post
That quote tells me they want nothing to do with your car. This is shit for you but it's why frozen paint is such a bad idea.
I figured as much - he was actually petrified of the fact that there are only 24 of them in the country so, I guess, he quoted me a price that's inclusive of his insurance premium just in case he screws things up

Quote:
Originally Posted by HudsonHornett View Post
OMG - what a ridiculous situation! Buddy, I would get in touch with the transporting firm and get them to sort it out. That paint was perfect and should have been delivered in perfect condition. Make them pay the bill to sort it out. In your shoes I’d be asking them to pay for a full re-spray.
To strip everything off and respray it as if in the factory, it will cost over $50k - they would never accept that