BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics BMW M3 (G80), M4 (G82), CSL and 3.0 CSL General Forum

10-12-2021, 09:09 AM   #23
JDUNITNOW
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335I, 750li, X5 G80

Just me guessing here but isn't this a track focused car? I would assume if you are tracking you would want to be able to adjust your steering angle on the fly and manual one can be adjusted a lock quicker. This car is marked as a dual purpose car and once you start adding more luxury amenities it takes away what the car is truly built for.
04 BMW X5
11 BMW 335i convertible (sold, sellers market
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2021, 09:18 AM   #24
nearwater4me
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '22 G82 Base

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patton250 View Post
As someone pointed out it’s just not something BMW puts and it’s 3 series. I like having the steering wheel down close to my lap. That’s why it’s convenient when it moves to the up position when you get out. Plus if I have a knife in my pocket I have a tendency to damage the lower part of the steering wheel getting in and out if it doesn’t go up. It’s just an option that’s nice and usually comes in luxury vehicles. So far I’ve never heard of anyone not liking it except for the one gentleman on this thread. Either people like it and use it or they don’t care and don’t use it.
I agree. It was a nice feature that I enjoyed in the GS350.
M3/M4 is not a track car, it's a Grand Tourer especially with the direction BMW is headed lately.
I like the cool power trunk, the HUD even more and that's why I chose the Exec pkg.

Nothing wrong with wanting more features/options on this type of vehicle IMO.
Appreciate 2
Patton2502939.50
      10-12-2021, 09:23 AM   #25
AndroidRobot
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Porsche Boxster GTS

Garage List
  [0.00]
2022 Porsche Boxste ...  [0.00]
I manually move mine in/up all of the way to get in/out. I do this because I have the CF buckets and it makes life easier overall. If mine was power it would be a tedious process or at least a slow one. I have my seat down lower due to it being the bucket and how the dirivng position feels best. For this resosn my steering wheel is also basically at the lowest setting. I have no problem moving it everytime I get in/out. To me it's routine.
2018 BMW M2 Mineral Grey(SOLD)
2019 BMW X5 50i Carbon Black/Tartufo (SOLD)
Appreciate 1
      10-12-2021, 05:53 PM   #26
MadBimmeRad
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M235i, 420i, and now the M2 CS

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndroidRobot View Post
I manually move mine in/up all of the way to get in/out. I do this because I have the CF buckets and it makes life easier overall. If mine was power it would be a tedious process or at least a slow one. I have my seat down lower due to it being the bucket and how the dirivng position feels best. For this resosn my steering wheel is also basically at the lowest setting. I have no problem moving it everytime I get in/out. To me it's routine.
In my car, I've programmed my seating position in option 1. I've programmed option 2 to move the seat all the way down and back; no need to move the steering wheel when getting in or out - of course, if you're 6' 5" then this may not work for you
      10-12-2021, 07:07 PM   #27
AndroidRobot
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Porsche Boxster GTS

Garage List
  [0.00]
2022 Porsche Boxste ...  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadBimmeRad View Post
Quote:
In my car, I've programmed my seating position in option 1. I've programmed option 2 to move the seat all the way down and back; no need to move the steering wheel when getting in or out - of course, if you're 6' 5" then this may not work for you
I do the same thing but still move the steering wheel. Mind you I'm not even a big person but it makes it easier for me.
2018 BMW M2 Mineral Grey(SOLD)
2019 BMW X5 50i Carbon Black/Tartufo (SOLD)
Appreciate 1
      10-12-2021, 07:33 PM   #28
MadBimmeRad
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadBimmeRad View Post
Quote:
I do the same thing but still move the steering wheel. Mind you I'm not even a big person but it makes it easier for me.
I hear you, sometimes I have to move the steering wheel also but not often as I usually forget
      10-13-2021, 04:31 PM   #29
Zim_Zimma
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

Sorry guys, yes I was complaining and it’s just to vent about it. I figured people who could relate most would be other M3/4 owners. It’s a first world complaint for sure, boohoo my $90k+ car doesn’t have power steering adjustment (even though my wife’s Tahoe does lol!), I just felt any luxury car should at least have same features as a fully loaded “standard vehicle”. It’s not that serious to go back and fourth about. I would of bought the car regardless. Apparently some get butt hurt about negative comments regarding the oh so precious M3/4. So I’ll be more careful about future posts.
Appreciate 1
      10-13-2021, 07:02 PM   #30
MadBimmeRad
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zim_Zimma View Post
Apparently some get butt hurt about negative comments regarding the oh so precious M3/4. So I'll be more careful about future posts.
I got the same feeling my friend.

Firstly, I agree with you regarding the steering - when a Lexus IS200 has it, so should the M3/4

Secondly, "I Disapprove of What You Say, But I Will Defend to the Death Your Right to Say It"

Voltaire

and thirdly,
      10-13-2021, 07:23 PM   #31
M0J0
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: XM3C '22 JKUR '13

I adjusted my steering on my car three years ago when I bought it. Though, I think my Audi is electric. lol
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2021, 01:54 PM   #32
BeamerBoomer
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 M4C xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDUNITNOW View Post
Just me guessing here but isn't this a track focused car? I would assume if you are tracking you would want to be able to adjust your steering angle on the fly and manual one can be adjusted a lock quicker. This car is marked as a dual purpose car and once you start adding more luxury amenities it takes away what the car is truly built for.
seriously? You may adjust the wheel during driving if it is an electric one, not a manual. An unlocked manual steering wheel is a safety hazard as it does not stay in place anymore. I also enjoyed the electric option in my F10, especially as it was linked to my memory settings. But it is (or not) what it is.
      10-14-2021, 03:42 PM   #33
JDUNITNOW
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335I, 750li, X5 G80

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeamerBoomer View Post
Quote:
seriously? You may adjust the wheel during driving if it is an electric one, not a manual. An unlocked manual steering wheel is a safety hazard as it does not stay in place anymore. I also enjoyed the electric option in my F10, especially as it was linked to my memory settings. But it is (or not) what it is.
Like I said, it's just a guess and I am not a professional driver. it was more of a question than a fact. Thanks for clearing it up.
04 BMW X5
11 BMW 335i convertible (sold, sellers market
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2021, 07:55 PM   #34
BMWRacer523
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 Competition xDrive

I was getting in and out of M3/M4 (with both bucket and M Sport seats) all day today and never needed to adjust my steering wheel to aid egress. I adjusted it the first time i got into each vehicle for my preferred driving position only.

Also, the buckets aren't really hard to get in and out of and they do hold very well on track. Kind of regretting not getting them now but oh well.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2021, 10:16 PM   #35
kjx
///M ♥ Recycled Dinosaurs
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M4, BMW X5 45e

Garage List
Quote:
If you think you have a complaint here, think of the poor Bugatti Chiron Supersport owners:

(At 6:10)

Last edited by kjx; 10-16-2021 at 11:07 PM..
Appreciate 3
JDUNITNOW3559.50
      10-19-2021, 09:01 AM   #36
EvenKeel
Captain
Rep
Drives: Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forzanerazzurri View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingmonkeyjr View Post
This car is still just a 3 series. Almost bottom of the totem pole lol. Expectation of 7 series quality is laughable to me. Especially when people get bent over like this
Yeah 100k is nothing these days. I mean, I'm not even putting collision insurance on this pos.
LOL. That was hilarious!
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2021, 10:06 AM   #37
edofloat
Captain
Rep
Drives: Outback or 992

The power-adjustable wheel in my G05 started to make some noise when moving like it's going to get stuck. I know several people had them replace the part, can't recall but I'm thinking it was a part of the steering column so it wasn't an easy fix.

I know @Androidrobot had a G05 maybe his wheel started acting up too?

I won't miss that, I'll set the wheel manually and leave it.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2021, 10:09 AM   #38
NightWriter
Colonel
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 Pure

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjx View Post
If you think you have a complaint here, think of the poor Bugatti Chiron Supersport owners:
(At 6:10)
Bugatti's holding out on the power adjustable steering for the Chiron Super Steering Sport, to be released in limited volumes next year at $20m per copy. Oh, and it will require a $10k recalibration by factory-trained mechanics every 5k miles.