Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i 6MT

Garage List
2003.5 BMW M3  [0.00]
2011 335i Coupe  [8.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silber View Post
I mean, why buy a CS in the first place then? In my mind these cars are in no way comparable in terms of use case.
This is very true. Everyone is different, I think it's the price coming into play because the M4 just feels like such a quality item where the CS feels a bit outdated. But they are totally different, and it's probably not a good comparison. I reworded my initial post to be more representative. Thanks!
2007 E60 M5 6MT (Interlagos/Silverstone Full) | 2013 F10 M5 6MT (Imola Red/Black Full) | 2022 BMW M5 CS (Brands Hatch Grey) | 2006 E46 M3 Comp 6MT (Silver Grey/Black, CSL clone) | 2011.5 E92 M3 (Fire Orange/Black Recaros, 4.6L Stroker, GTS Clone) | 2011 1M (Valencia Orange/Black)
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2021, 10:13 AM   #24
tizzyd
Captain
Rep

Garage List
2003.5 BMW M3  [0.00]
2011 335i Coupe  [8.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habber View Post
Good video. Lots of critics like to complain about low priority issues when in reality, the majority of us are just happy to see a video that does a nice walk around with quality images.

Well done OP.
Much appreciated! Still in the early stages so it's only up from here.
2007 E60 M5 6MT (Interlagos/Silverstone Full) | 2013 F10 M5 6MT (Imola Red/Black Full) | 2022 BMW M5 CS (Brands Hatch Grey) | 2006 E46 M3 Comp 6MT (Silver Grey/Black, CSL clone) | 2011.5 E92 M3 (Fire Orange/Black Recaros, 4.6L Stroker, GTS Clone) | 2011 1M (Valencia Orange/Black)
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2021, 10:18 AM   #25
Bahamut
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by tizzyd View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bahamut View Post
Alright just finished watching the video and quick impressions:

1) definitely can see your genuine excitement regarding BMWs new offering! I'd suggest maybe working on your chemistry a little more so you two don't interrupt each other so much during the driving impressions

2) probably just my OCD acting up, but the constant "um" got irritating after a few minutes

3) overall though, you provided a great general review! The key point that stuck to me was the linear power delivery and planted stability. Looking forward to more content!
Thanks so much for the feedback. I totally agree with the above - we are just starting out so still getting comfortable on camera. Truly appreciate it and hopefully you'll watch some future stuff.
All good and thanks for taking the constructive criticism and not confusing it as a complaint! It's all about growth and learning and in the end, use it to develop your own unique style
Appreciate 2
      03-04-2021, 10:19 AM   #26
gemini.m3
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 xDrive comp

Quote:
This was a knee-jerk reaction haha - the CS is far far more special but I was genuinely shocked by how much I loved the G82. It feels like a special product.
Different use cases for sure. I’d see the new m3/m4 as a garage queen that was only driven on the weekends as a total waste.! This car seems like it’s an excellent daily driver. But for a weekend toy, m2 cs for me- good review.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2021, 10:19 AM   #27
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

The detractors want so badly for reviews to be negative to confirm their own biases........so badly that they become a tad agitated by positive remarks about the car (...and they want to pick at video titles and other minutia). They want this car to fail, but it won't.

As people get over the initial shock, more and more G8X's hit the road, and people start modifying these cars, eventually people will have to accept that the car is very good.....or maybe even great; time will tell. It wasn't like the F8X hit the scene and it was an immediate love affair. It wasn't like the F8X hit the scene and was considered light in weight by any means. In the last 20 years, the love affair with M3's has been progressive. The E46 was lambasted critically all of the time, only later to be considered the "last real M3." Fast forward to now, people have given the title to the F8X (...after also having given it to the E9X when the F8X debuted), but it wasn't that long ago that BMW was in the hot seat over that car as well.

If the reviews of the car are largely positive, people will find something else to nitpick and will parse words to accomplish that. That said, I do agree with some criticisms. While I'm not a grille hater, I don't care for the black rocker panels/rear valance/etc. (...I wish there was a body color option, and I'm convinced some people will paint those items to improve the look) and I'm not a fan of the Lexus-like quad exhaust set-up on the M-Performance car. I'm not much a fan of the digital cluster either, but it has grown on me since my first experience with it in the G20.
Appreciate 10
solstice5456.50
Bahamut709.50
Scorp!on1511.50
W///7489.50
chris7197334.00
AndrewC198910931.00
ks74.50
02M3ForMe4261.50
      03-04-2021, 10:32 AM   #28
tizzyd
Captain
Rep

Garage List
2003.5 BMW M3  [0.00]
2011 335i Coupe  [8.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
The detractors want so badly for reviews to be negative to confirm their own biases........so badly that they become a tad agitated by positive remarks about the car (...and they want to pick at video titles and other minutia). They want this car to fail, but it won't.

As people get over the initial shock, more and more G8X's hit the road, and people start modifying these cars, eventually people will have to accept that the car is very good.....or maybe even great; time will tell. It wasn't like the F8X hit the scene and it was an immediate love affair. It wasn't like the F8X hit the scene and was considered light in weight by any means. In the last 20 years, the love affair with M3's has been progressive. The E46 was lambasted critically all of the time, only later to be considered the "last real M3." Fast forward to now, people have given the title to the F8X (...after also giving it to the E9X when the F8X debuted), but it wasn't that long ago that BMW was in the hot seat over that car as well.
Perfectly said. What is initially heavy, unresponsive, unpredictable, numb, etc will look different over time. Plus BMW's uncanny ability to improve a car over the lifespan. Driving an LCI comp F80 vs a first year model is a world of difference. The F80 is an awesome car in its own right and I think is going to be remembered fondly down the road. Values on them are strong right now but I think they are going to be a STEAL in coming years.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2021, 10:42 AM   #29
Silber
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '20 M2CS, '19 i8 , '10 135i

Quote:
This is very true. Everyone is different, I think it's the price coming into play because the M4 just feels like such a quality item where the CS feels a bit outdated. But they are totally different, and it's probably not a good comparison. I reworded my initial post to be more representative. Thanks!
Only point I was trying to make was that if you saw a G82 as the next logical step for you and as a replacement for the 2CS, maybe your expectations for the 2 were out of alignment with what the car is.

This assumption is backed up by your comment on the M2 feeling outdated - it's supposed to be the closest thing to an analog BMW you can buy in the 2020s, before all the G cars and their digital architecture take over. It's not going to have all of the tech and luxury of a G car (heck, it doesn't even have all the tech and luxury the F82 offered), because it doesn't need them to be brilliant at what it's built for.

With all that said, I think the G8X is a brilliant car and absolutely a worthy replacement for the F8X, which already was skewing towards the GT / luxury daily driver role.

[On Order] 2023 i4 M50 - Frozen Pure Grey | Fiona Red Merino
2020 M2 CS 6MT - Hockenheim | Black 763M
2019 Vorsteiner i8 - Sophisto | Tera Dalbergia Brown Int. | 3M Satin White Aluminum Wrap
2010 135i 6MT - Black Sapphire | Black Int. | VMR V710 | 1M Bumper | Rieger Diffuser
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2021, 10:46 AM   #30
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Quote:

As people get over the initial shock, more and more G8X's hit the road, and people start modifying these cars, eventually people will have to accept that the car is very good.....or maybe even great; time will tell. It wasn't like the F8X hit the scene and it was an immediate love affair. It wasn't like the F8X hit the scene and was considered light in weight by any means. In the last 20 years, the love affair with M3's has been progressive. The E46 was lambasted critically all of the time, only later to be considered the "last real M3." Fast forward to now, people have given the title to the F8X (...after also giving it to the E9X when the F8X debuted), but it wasn't that long ago that BMW was in the hot seat over that car as well.
Perfectly said. What is initially heavy, unresponsive, unpredictable, numb, etc will look different over time. Plus BMW's uncanny ability to improve a car over the lifespan. Driving an LCI comp F80 vs a first year model is a world of difference. The F80 is an awesome car in its own right and I think is going to be remembered fondly down the road. Values on them are strong right now but I think they are going to be a STEAL in coming years.
+1

You know, I've never hated the steering in any M car, but something interesting happened to me recently. I drive my non-comp Individual F8X very little these days (...maybe twice a month; after nearly 5 years it has 16,000 miles on it). I purchased a 2021 Corolla SE with an MT right before New Year's and retired my other commuter car, a 2003 C-Class with 377,000 miles on the odometer, in favor of the Corolla. After driving the Corolla all of January and early Feb, I hopped into my M4 and took her for a spin. The steering felt heavy, communicative, responsive.....and I immediately wanted to romp on the car. It made me wonder what all the fuss was about in the first place regarding the steering. Driving the Corolla for so long, with its super light steering and no real road communication (..which isn't a real criticism; it's an excellent commuter car whose MT makes it more engaging despite having little power), and with no seat time in the M, put things back into perspective as soon as I drove the car again.
Appreciate 3
      03-04-2021, 10:47 AM   #31
Bahamut
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 6MT

Quote:

If the reviews of the car are largely positive, people will find something else to nitpick and will parse words to accomplish that. That said, I do agree with some criticisms. While I'm not a grille hater, I don't care for the black rocker panels/rear valance/etc. (...I wish there was a body color option, and I'm convinced some people will paint those items to improve the look) and I'm not a fan of the Lexus-like quad exhaust set-up on the M-Performance car. I'm not much a fan of the digital cluster either, but it has grown on me since my first experience with it in the G20.
I agree man. It's a destructive way of thinking when someone starts off with a negative thought of this car and looks for multiple sources to confirm that negativity (looks, power performance, acceleration figures, etc). It's ultimately limits one's scope of thinking
Appreciate 2
Sedan_Clan25086.50
      03-04-2021, 11:08 AM   #32
flanast
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 M3

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by flanast View Post
Finally, thanks for the driving review. But you left out how the weight of the car felt on the twisties. This is a very heavy car. You called it athletic. Does that mean you are not feeling the weight on the sharp turn or you just weren't able to drive it hard enough because of rpm limitations?

Absolutely! It doesn't feel heavy at all. It feels more planted and willing to change direction than the F80 to me. The steering is much more reactive and immediate, especially off center. As these cars get heavier, the manufacturers seem to get better at masking the weight. Also, I think the damping is much better than the F80 and it really soaks up the bumps and is less crashy than the older car.
Thanks, I love my M5 Competition. Love the handling in sports plus but you can really feel the weight when driven hard in the turns. Was expecting the same from this
Appreciate 1
      03-04-2021, 11:32 AM   #33
Frosty
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M240i - 2021 - 6MT -

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlozano View Post
Appreciate these posts coming in as early as possible. You guys talk about the rev matching in this car but that is the same setup in my 17 F80 M3. The above comment about livable platform compared to the previous brutal platform is a great point. I like that there are more options for BMW owners between the outgoing F80 and the G80 plus the added all wheel drive.

Great talking points and can't wait to hear from top journalists next week.
Rev matching is something you can turn off correct?
Prelude (5MT) (1995)
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2021, 11:34 AM   #34
Frosty
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M240i - 2021 - 6MT -

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankiebones View Post
You're 17 F80 doesn't have the ability to turn rev matching on/off in all 3 throttle maps. Big difference for me personally. I had to drive my car in Sport+ exclusively to rev match....not great for gas mileage.
Thanks for the thought... thus the G8x allows disengaging auto rev matching in all modes now?
Prelude (5MT) (1995)
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2021, 11:42 AM   #35
Transfer
Major General
Rep
Drives: Bronco Wildtrak, Tesla MYP

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShockArrival View Post
I'm a little bit surprised by passenger "Steve" saying it feels like an E46...

I enjoyed the review, and the exhaust note surprisingly! Thank you!

I think he refers to the power delivery although he could have clarified that. S58 is fairly linear with not much down low but a lot up high. Contrast that with S55 which was arguably too much down low and slight taper off up high. Otherwise there is virtually nothing comparable with E46 M3.

I wouldn't say it's perfectly linear power but more like if the S65 had more power with VTEC (yo!) that kicks in at 3k RPMs and carries to redline.
Appreciate 1
      03-04-2021, 11:51 AM   #36
frankiebones
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Fire Orange G80 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by flanast View Post
Thanks, I love my M5 Competition. Love the handling in sports plus but you can really feel the weight when driven hard in the turns. Was expecting the same from this
This is a manual that weighs in around 3,700 pounds. M5C has 650 pounds on this bad boy.
Appreciate 1
flanast148.50
      03-04-2021, 11:53 AM   #37
frankiebones
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Fire Orange G80 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frosty View Post
Thanks for the thought... thus the G8x allows disengaging auto rev matching in all modes now?
Yes. It's in this video.

https://g80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1802700
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2021, 12:09 PM   #38
tizzyd
Captain
Rep

Garage List
2003.5 BMW M3  [0.00]
2011 335i Coupe  [8.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frosty View Post
If you skip to 12:45 in my video as well, I explain what you can configure. Auto rev matching is individually configurable, which is great!
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2021, 12:10 PM   #39
tizzyd
Captain
Rep

Garage List
2003.5 BMW M3  [0.00]
2011 335i Coupe  [8.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Transfer View Post
I think he refers to the power delivery although he could have clarified that. S58 is fairly linear with not much down low but a lot up high. Contrast that with S55 which was arguably too much down low and slight taper off up high. Otherwise there is virtually nothing comparable with E46 M3.

I wouldn't say it's perfectly linear power but more like if the S65 had more power with VTEC (yo!) that kicks in at 3k RPMs and carries to redline.
Pretty good description, honestly.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2021, 12:12 PM   #40
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alfa Romeo Giulia, Rosso

Right up there with the M2CS? That's extremely high praise.

Another forum member said this is nowhere near the M2 when it comes to the fun to drive factor. Specifically stating how the G8X feels much much heavier.

I'll just have to find out for myself.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2021, 12:19 PM   #41
solstice
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3 6MT

Quote:
I think is going to be remembered fondly down the road.
Agreed for 6/10s and above driving where the blunt and clumsy character of both handling and engine character transform into linear, agile, strong and predictable behavior. Overall as mainly a daily it is bit of a boring uninspiring dud though. The excellent MT has made it acceptable for me but I can’t wait to hand her over to the dealer and I won’t stop and look back when I leave
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2021, 12:47 PM   #42
gemini.m3
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 xDrive comp

Quote:
Hey all - I recorded a video for my youtube channel/project with an M4. Hope you all enjoy!! Car is absolutely incredible. Feels very special, right up there with my M2 CS (granted I've only put 180mi on it since it's been snowing here).

How does the manual gearbox compare to the one on the m2 cs? Is yours manual or dct
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2021, 12:56 PM   #43
KaptainKloss
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340 xDrive

Very promising, the fact that they are hitting up and matching the dynamics of a 911 as opposed to a Merc means a lot, especially for the price point. I feel like this is an M340 2.0, especially given the fact that it works as a daily. The grille looks better in person on the M3 / M4 as opposed to the M440.
Appreciate 1
EXE462100.00
      03-04-2021, 12:56 PM   #44
EXE46
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i RWD Aka New E39 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankiebones View Post
You're 17 F80 doesn't have the ability to turn rev matching on/off in all 3 throttle maps. Big difference for me personally. I had to drive my car in Sport+ exclusively to rev match....not great for gas mileage.
Thanks for this lol, didn't know this was an option.