BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
Technical Sections Coding, Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics

06-25-2022, 07:03 AM   #23
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptSL0W View Post
Wondering how everyone feels about the iDrive 8 screens in the MY2023 cars. I really don't like the look of the 2 connected screens together and the fact that the physical buttons have been removed. I'm glad the iDrive knob is still present, but this just seems like a step backwards for an M car that should be more driver focused than tech focused. Can anyone talk me off the ledge here, I'm interested in ordering a MY 2023 and would like to get a base/manual. I just don't think it goes well with the large screens.
Rebuttal: Witness this 2021 Ferrari Roma with all capacitive touch controls, i.e. no physical buttons, even for the climate control (sounds familiar).

I'm not really sure about this but I believe Ferrari is known to make a high performance, 'driver focus' vehicle or two.. 😗

Attached Images

Appreciate 3
wtwo317971.00
'Cane8514.50
      06-25-2022, 07:22 AM   #24
The_Transporter
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post
Quote:
Wondering how everyone feels about the iDrive 8 screens in the MY2023 cars. I really don't like the look of the 2 connected screens together and the fact that the physical buttons have been removed. I'm glad the iDrive knob is still present, but this just seems like a step backwards for an M car that should be more driver focused than tech focused. Can anyone talk me off the ledge here, I'm interested in ordering a MY 2023 and would like to get a base/manual. I just don't think it goes well with the large screens.
Rebuttal: Witness this 2021 Ferrari Roma with all capacitive touch controls, i.e. no physical buttons, even for the climate control (sounds familiar).

I'm not really sure about this but I believe Ferrari is known to make a high performance, 'driver focus' vehicle or two.. 😗

Wow… that start "button" just NO…
Ferrari is of course one of the best if not the best and most quintessential sports car manufacturers hands down, but even the best get things wrong occasionally.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2022, 07:46 AM   #25
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Transporter View Post
Quote:
Quote:

Ferrari is of course one of the best if not the best and most quintessential sports car manufacturers hands down, but even the best get things wrong occasionally.
Mercedes (including the Maybach), Audi, and Cadillac have the same setup (majority touch-based controls) in their newer model vehicles also..

Give it another three years or so, you'll run out of vehicle models to fault. For better or worst, this is new normal in automotive user interface.

Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-25-2022, 08:05 AM   #26
FoxberryJam
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '23 M4 CompX; '98 m Roadster

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by vj123 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightWriter View Post
I'm glad someone finally started a thread about this
Maybe the "N+1"th thread.

Looks like the Captain is really slow!
Quote:
Originally Posted by vj123 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightWriter View Post
I'm glad someone finally started a thread about this
Maybe the "N+1"th thread!
Well, this is a Mission Critical topic….
vj1233790.00
      06-25-2022, 08:07 AM   #27
The_Transporter
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Mercedes (including the Maybach), Audi, and Cadillac have the same setup (majority touch-based controls) in their newer model vehicles also..

Give it another three years, you'll run out of car models to fault. For better or worst, this is new normal in automotive user interface.

I don't actually mind a majority of the controls being touch based but my start engine button that one I want to keep as an actual physical button or switch lol.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2022, 08:15 AM   #28
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Give it another three years, you'll run out of car models to fault. For better or worst, this is new normal in automotive user interface.

I don't actually mind a majority of the controls being touch based but my start engine button that one I want to keep as an actual physical button or switch lol.
Well then, sorry to be the bearer of bad news but Volvo and Tesla are already removing the "Engine Start" button from some of their vehicles.

You just hop in and look for the green "Ready" indicator and then hit the accelerator pedal to go. I'm sure BMW is not far behind that bright idea.. 😕
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2022, 09:04 AM   #29
vj123
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3c - sold

Quote:

Give it another three years or so, you'll run out of vehicle models to fault. For better or worst, this is new normal in automotive user interface.
This is from BMW's Interior design head.

Head of BMW i Interior Design Matthias Junghanns had plenty to say on the matter. "Is it the big screen that counts? I'm personally convinced that these black glass surfaces in the car interiors are... we will leave that behind, sooner or later," said Junghanns.

https://www.thedrive.com/news/bmw-po...on-the-way-out
Appreciate 1
      06-25-2022, 09:22 AM   #30
The_Transporter
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Well then, sorry to be the bearer of bad news but Volvo and Tesla are already removing the "Engine Start" button from some of their vehicles.

You just hop in and look for the green "Ready" indicator and then hit the accelerator pedal to go. I'm sure BMW is not far behind that bright idea.. 😕
Haha yeah I hear ya. That said both of those brands are drastically different and mostly cater to a very different demographic than performance brands such as BMW, Mercedes and Audi. There is some cross comparison with Tesla as lots of people see the allure of fast EV's but that in itself does not make them a performance brand (yet). Also when was the last time you heard of someone cross shopping a M or an AMG and a S60 or S90? Most cars that people use for A to B transport most likely will transition to this and the people buying Hondas, Volvos, and Toyotas will be more than happy to have their cars turn on when they get close to them and do some to most of the driving for them, but again I hope performance brands don't try to mute the driving experience to quite that extent.
Appreciate 1
Poochie9104.50
      06-25-2022, 11:52 AM   #31
Forzanerazzurri
Banned
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 Coupe/G80 M3CX

Garage List
Quote:

Ya and it's universally hated and the worst feature about modern Ferraris.
Appreciate 3
Poochie9104.50
s58544.00
Scorp!on1511.50
      06-25-2022, 12:56 PM   #32
Boomer 2019
Track Rat
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M4 Comp

All 2023 models of the 3 Series including the M3 will be getting iDrive 8 with the hideous desktop monitor mounted on scaffolding. In the 2023 4 Series all ICE models including the M4 will be staying with the current screens and iDrive 7. The 2 electric models i4 and i4 M50 will get iDrive 8 with the screens. The change to iDrive 8 for the ICE cars will probably occur next year with the LCI. I just ordered a 2023 M4 Comp, but would not have done so if it was equipped with the monitor. I don't care about iD7 vs iD8, but I am that repulsed by the screen.
      06-25-2022, 02:50 PM   #33
Jacob54322
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW m3

Visited my local Bmw dealership a few days ago and sat in the I4. The Salesman showed me a little bit about the idrive 8 and tbh… there is just so many pointless apps on it and can be overwhelming. Not that I’m hating on I drive 8… I just think for M cars .. it should be focused on the driver experience and not on some huge screen distracting you From the drive. But On the suv models the I drive 8 would not be a bad thing. And it annoying trying to change the car setting on I drive 8. You could be sitting there a whole ass hour configuring it. But at the end of the day it all just comes down to what you would like more.
Appreciate 3
s58544.00
Scorp!on1511.50
      06-25-2022, 04:09 PM   #34
The_Transporter
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob54322 View Post
Visited my local Bmw dealership a few days ago and sat in the I4. The Salesman showed me a little bit about the idrive 8 and tbh… there is just so many pointless apps on it and can be overwhelming. Not that I’m hating on I drive 8… I just think for M cars .. it should be focused on the driver experience and not on some huge screen distracting you From the drive. But On the suv models the I drive 8 would not be a bad thing. And it annoying trying to change the car setting on I drive 8. You could be sitting there a whole ass hour configuring it. But at the end of the day it all just comes down to what you would like more.
Exactly, for an A to B or get the kids to soccer practice I think the added tech is awesome! I don't want to get to the point where I get into a Ferrari and it has the same feel as a Honda…
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2022, 07:03 AM   #35
kjx
///M ♥ Recycled Dinosaurs
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M4, BMW X5 45e

Garage List
Something very important for people who want to code anti-dazzle (like in Europe). And any other coding shenanigans on their cars like disabling the startup warning message.

iDrive 8 is apparently locked down to prevent coding. Source (X5 forums): https://www.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...php?p=29049611

Someone may eventually crack it but… buyer beware until then.
Poochie9104.50
      06-26-2022, 07:41 AM   #36
MassComp
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche Macan GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjx View Post
Someone may eventually crack it but… buyer beware until then.
Thanks for the heads up, but what's my choice here really....not buy the car?

I'm hoping by next next year BMW sends an over-the-air unlock for the no-dazzle high-beam assistance on my Lasers since the Federal law in this country was changed a year back.

https://www.motortrend.com/news/us-h...dard%20108.%22
3/19/22: Deposit placed on MY2023 Skyscraper Grey M3 Comp xDrive / 6/08/22: Dealer order placed - Status 047 / 6/25/22: Added Full Leather / 8/05/22: Received Allocation & Added Personal eSIM 5G / 09/18/22: Asked Dealership to Add M Drive Professional to My Build and They Canceled My Order
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2022, 01:25 PM   #37
KillerExcessive
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E92 6MT F80 6MT F87 6MT G82CX

Sat in an i4 M50. Don't like how the screen wasn't integrated into the dash design. So glad I was able to get a '22.

Without a choice available, I'll live with it no problem, but if given a choice I'd skip this generation of id8- there's still work undone with this iteration. Feels unfinished.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2022, 02:06 PM   #38
G30M
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW M550i; Kia EV6 GT

when iD8 came out i ordered a Tesla

why go with copycats when you can get the real thing
Appreciate 1
      06-26-2022, 05:21 PM   #39
G80indy
Save the Manuals
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z3, E46, G80

I like how it's "lower" on ID8….. more view of hood and road
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2022, 06:53 PM   #40
Poochie
United_States
Rep

For i8 user demo video:

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CfOtZ...d=MDJmNzVkMjY=
Appreciate 1
      06-26-2022, 06:59 PM   #41
Forzanerazzurri
Banned
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Are we supposed to be driving or ordering a big Mac at McDonald's
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2022, 07:05 PM   #42
Higgs Boson
In the Details
Rep
Drives: Yes

Garage List
2020 AMG GTR  [0.00]
2022 R8 Quattro Spyder  [0.00]
2023 X5M50  [0.00]
2023 718 Spyder  [0.00]
2024 Silverado  [0.00]
2024 Civic Type R  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forzanerazzurri View Post
The nice thing about infotainment on cars is you don't have to use it, you can indeed just drive the car. You can even drive it to McDonalds.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2022, 07:19 PM   #43
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forzanerazzurri View Post
Quote:
Both
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2022, 07:24 PM   #44
Forzanerazzurri
Banned
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Higgs Boson View Post
The nice thing about infotainment on cars is you don't have to use it, you can indeed just drive the car. You can even drive it to McDonalds.
I live in the Arctic. What if i want my defroster on and i am wearing gloves.
Appreciate 0