BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics BMW M3 (G80), M4 (G82), CSL and 3.0 CSL General Forum

04-02-2024, 11:14 PM   #1
Muslenutz
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Bmw 540 2018

Frozen - Raw, no PPF

Who has frozen paint with no PPF? What’s been your experience, advice, and any regrets? What experience have you had vs a normal gloss paint and what part of states are you in? Any insight you want to share is appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2024, 11:18 PM   #2
kjx
///M ♥ Recycled Dinosaurs
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M4, BMW X5 45e

Garage List
I know an M5 CS owner with that frozen green color they launched it with. It's a nightmare and a half. There was some defect in the paint on the trunk lid - I think a shop repainted it 2 times and never got it matched with the rest of the car. They were going to try a third time last I heard.

My advice would be very simple - buy the gloss equivalent color and PPF it matte if you really want. Unless you're only keeping the car 3 years - in which case do whatever. Don't bother with PPF if you rotate through cars.

If you already have the car with you in matte (or on the way) and you plan to keep it longer than 3 years, PPF the whole car matte.
MJBO2629.50
      04-03-2024, 12:01 AM   #3
Muslenutz
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Bmw 540 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjx View Post
I know an M5 CS owner with that frozen green color they launched it with. It's a nightmare and a half. There was some defect in the paint on the trunk lid - I think a shop repainted it 2 times and never got it matched with the rest of the car. They were going to try a third time last I heard.

My advice would be very simple - buy the gloss equivalent color and PPF it matte if you really want. Unless you're only keeping the car 3 years - in which case do whatever. Don't bother with PPF if you rotate through cars.

If you already have the car with you in matte (or on the way) and you plan to keep it longer than 3 years, PPF the whole car matte.
Thanks for your feedback 🫡. Appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2024, 11:10 AM   #4
CJ421
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Garage List
Muslenutz
I would abstract what you're asking a bit ...your question seems to be is frozen paint going to look any worse over time than normal paint without PPF. I say no because any car can get scratches and paint chips. Look at your current car; where are the paint chips and scratches? Chances are any new car you'd get will end up the same way.

I had a frozen Z4 for 2.5 years with no PPF. 99% of the car was perfect, and there were a handful of paint chips on the front bumper. But it otherwise looked like it came from the factory. Granted, I don't drive on the highway a lot (where most paint chips occur). I also wash my car frequently and keep it in a garage. The car's condition really had nothing to do with the paint type.

I decided to do PPF on my M3 on high impact areas (full front, side skirts, lower part of the doors, lower rear bumper, and a strip under the trunk; see https://g80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...&postcount=245) because I really don't like paint chips, not specifically because I got frozen paint.

PPF wasn't cheap but the peace of mind I have now is invaluable since the car will basically look new indefinitely. Again, I'd have gone the PPF route regardless of the paint type.

Charles