BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics BMW M3 (G80), M4 (G82), CSL and 3.0 CSL General Forum

12-08-2021, 04:41 PM   #67
BGM-M3COMP
The Ben Shapiro of this place. I never lose! LOL
Rep
Drives: 12 plaids on order

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SickGTR View Post
Just like every other M series. It will tank in 3-4 years. I've had 3 so far and none have held great value. Not that I give a shit. Never bought a car worrying about the resale. I beat the shit out of it and smile the whole time doing it:-) Vroom Vroom
Same with me. I don't even have a garage. All my cars are stored in the back of my house, some with car covers, some without. The M3 doesn't have a car cover and was getting shitted on during that windy rainy day we had 2 nights ago. I didn't give a shit lol.

I'm going to beat the fuck out of this car for the remainder of the lease (although when spring rolls through because i'm on summer tires lol) and get it nice and broken in for the 2nd owner of this car LOL.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2021, 05:06 PM   #68
MTM3
mt4life
Rep
Drives: G80 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGM-M3COMP View Post
Same with me. I don't even have a garage. All my cars are stored in the back of my house, some with car covers, some without. The M3 doesn't have a car cover and was getting shitted on during that windy rainy day we had 2 nights ago. I didn't give a shit lol.

I'm going to beat the fuck out of this car for the remainder of the lease (although when spring rolls through because i'm on summer tires lol) and get it nice and broken in for the 2nd owner of this car LOL.
And that’s why you don’t buy used BMWs
Testimonials like that should be featured in BMW CPO program brochures 😂😂😂
Appreciate 3
SintAFM208.00
      12-08-2021, 05:24 PM   #69
BGM-M3COMP
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTM3 View Post
And that’s why you don’t buy used BMWs
Testimonials like that should be featured in BMW CPO program brochures 😂😂😂
Hey...i think of it as me putting the car through my own torture test

If it can't handle that abuse from a novice owner, it's not good lol
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2021, 09:41 PM   #70
kjx
///M ♥ Recycled Dinosaurs
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M4, BMW X5 45e

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murse85 View Post
This will be my first M car as well the most expensive. It’ll be something I’ll have to keep for at least 6-7 years.. However, with all this news about ice becoming banned by 2030-2035 it is slightly concerning due to uncertainty. Will gas prices sky rocket? Will resale value of ice cars be 0? I’ll eventually sell my M3 for an ev if things start shifting in that direction but whose going to buy it if it is obsolete.
Is it a good idea to spend almost 100k on a car thats going extinct in the next 5-10 year? Do any of you guys have similar thoughts? Or am I overthinking. I can afford this car but at the same time I’m not rich enough to where I can just buy however many cars I like. Maybe I’m just a worrier lol!!
You're just a worrier. It's probably helped you get to where you're in a position to buy such a car, and you've got a solid head on your shoulders.

But live a little. No one knows what tomorrow will hold.

Do you want to look back at these years as the ones you spent worrying about a ICE extinction? Or years where you enjoyed driving one of the best ICE cars of our time?
      12-11-2021, 09:35 PM   #71
nathanm4
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Aston Martin Vantage

Unless EVs can charge to 100% in 5-10 minutes, I don't see a benefit of owning an EV. EVs are generally more expensive than ICE cars.

Disadvantages of EVs:
1. 40 minutes - 10 hours to charge 90% of battery.
2. Battery drains much faster if you use A/C during hot summer and cold winter.
3. 200 miles per 100% battery with moderate-aggressive driving.
4. Sometimes using a supercharging station is as expensive as regular gasoline.

No need to worry for now.
      12-11-2021, 10:34 PM   #72
jimbethesda
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3 (F80)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanm4 View Post
Unless EVs can charge to 100% in 5-10 minutes, I don't see a benefit of owning an EV. EVs are generally more expensive than ICE cars.

Disadvantages of EVs:

How often do you drive more than 200 miles in a day? For me it's maybe once per year. So, 364 days of the year, an EV is more convenient. I just plug it in when I get home. No oil changes, no transmission issues, overall lower maintenance.

1 day a year, I'll have to take 20-30 mins to charge. Charging speeds are improving too. Everyone over emphasizes the charging speed issue while forgetting day to day convenience.

I don't own an EV yet, mostly because I'd like more options than a Tesla. I'm looking forward to what a fully electric M3/4 will look like.
2015 M3 (sold)
2022 G83
Appreciate 1
BGM-M3COMP2328.00
      12-12-2021, 01:52 AM   #73
Forzanerazzurri
Banned
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 Coupe/G80 M3CX

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbethesda View Post
How often do you drive more than 200 miles in a day? For me it's maybe once per year. So, 364 days of the year, an EV is more convenient. I just plug it in when I get home. No oil changes, no transmission issues, overall lower maintenance.

1 day a year, I'll have to take 20-30 mins to charge. Charging speeds are improving too. Everyone over emphasizes the charging speed issue while forgetting day to day convenience.

I don't own an EV yet, mostly because I'd like more options than a Tesla. I'm looking forward to what a fully electric M3/4 will look like.
Oil changes are a once a year ordeal now and transmissions are largely maintenance free for the periods people keep new cars. I'd say one oil change per year is more convenient than having to wait for a dead car to charge at some charging station.
Appreciate 2
nathanm4683.00
DavidXJ664.50
      12-12-2021, 04:42 AM   #74
Ruyseart
Second Lieutenant
Spain
Rep
Drives: M4 G82 xDrive

I can understand both points of view, as I always had ICE cars, now I own an X5 45e and have a G82 on production right now.
This X5 is the greatest car I've ever driven, on my commutes to work, about 18km a day, I spend like 1 euro in electricity, and if I go on a road trip, which is not very usual, I have the ICE. Mention that I live in a house where I can overnight charge my car everyday.
At least in Spain, we're not ready to go FULLY EV. We have ridiculous charging infrastructure even in big cities, not to mention rural areas. Like 85% of population here lives in apartments, with little to 0 capacity to install charging points.
On the other hand as someone mentioned before, bans to ICE are being the norm, and as you said, is not only a ban to NEW cars, but a ban to existent cars, even mild-hybrid ones in the center of most populated cities. They are so far respecting those cars of people that LIVE in those restricted areas but by 2025 even those people will have to get rid of their ICE cars if they want to go to their own garage. And 2025 is here.
Conclusion for me is, ICE cars will be on the general roads A LOT of years more, as people dont have the money to change them, but here people are REALLY brainwashed with the ecological transition, feeling so clean driving their Hyundai Kona full EV with electricity produced by burning coal in Morocco and Algeria, while the grandma with his Golf 1.5 used 3 times a week to go to the grocery store is provoking the climatic change.
PLF693767.50
      12-12-2021, 05:35 AM   #75
V-Eight
Captain
Rep
Drives: MY22 M3 G80 Comp.Xdrive

we must pay attention at the fact that the ban for iCE is just for a new car. this doesn't means that ICE will estinct. you will be able to use them until 2050 i guess.

BMW G80 M3 Comp.xDrive 2022 + Jaguar F-Pace SVR v8 2022 + BMW F20 M140i RWD 2017
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2021, 06:42 AM   #76
BGM-M3COMP
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanm4 View Post

Disadvantages of EVs:

How often do you drain your fuel tank from full to empty in a single day? Maybe once or twice a year for a road trip?

As battery technology improves, so will charging technology. The advancements we have seen in the past 3 years have accelerated faster than what we saw 10 years prior to that in terms of EV technology. It's only going to improve EVEN FASTER from here.

Most people who own EV's charge their car from home. There is no need to venture out and search for a charge port or a supercharging station. I know not many people will have access to that at home but again, that's a small hiccup that will soon be corrected in the near future.

As time goes on, more and more "gas stations" will be converted to charging stations. This is the inevitable as much as i don't really agree with it. But it's here, and it's arriving very quickly.

I like new technology so i can't wait for what's to come. I'll still own an ICE for as long as i can but i'm embracing EV because i think it's a great thing. Instant torque all day long? Sign me up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-Eight View Post
we must pay attention at the fact that the ban for iCE is just for a new car. this doesn't means that ICE will estinct. you will be able to use them until 2050 i guess.

No one is saying we're forbidden to drive ICE when that magic 2035 year comes around. And no one is going to go to everyone's house and say, "give me the keys to your ICE car! You can't own that anymore!!!"

But what they will do is limit the places where you can fill up (like i said above about gas stations being converted to charging stations) and when they jack the price of gas to 10-15 dollars or more, people will soon realize the benefit of owning an ICE has now been stomped on by the benefits of owning an EV, and will likely make the switch by choice, rather than force.

EV will have so many benefits that the only reason to own an ICE car 20 years from now will be for pure sound.

EV performance are already knocking on the door of even the most high performance ICE cars. Look at the plaid. The lucid air.

That's just the beginning.
Appreciate 1
      12-12-2021, 08:34 AM   #77
Patton250
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW X3,M5,Turbo S

Quote:
How often do you drain your fuel tank from full to empty in a single day? Maybe once or twice a year for a road trip?

As battery technology improves, so will charging technology. The advancements we have seen in the past 3 years have accelerated faster than what we saw 10 years prior to that in terms of EV technology. It's only going to improve EVEN FASTER from here.

Most people who own EV's charge their car from home. There is no need to venture out and search for a charge port or a supercharging station. I know not many people will have access to that at home but again, that's a small hiccup that will soon be corrected in the near future.

As time goes on, more and more "gas stations" will be converted to charging stations. This is the inevitable as much as i don't really agree with it. But it's here, and it's arriving very quickly.

I like new technology so i can't wait for what's to come. I'll still own an ICE for as long as i can but i'm embracing EV because i think it's a great thing. Instant torque all day long? Sign me up!
Brother I really do like most your comments on this forum but you did not address one thing he said. Not with anything that has substance anyway. Everything he said is true and will probably be true for the foreseeable future. Let me say though I truly hope your speculation comes true because if it doesn’t we are going to be in a world of hurt as government(s) shoves this fake green technology down our throat‘s.
Appreciate 1
nathanm4683.00
      12-12-2021, 09:26 AM   #78
Professor///M
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3, 2022 X5 40i;

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTM3 View Post
Hence why I bought the last ICE M3 6MT - the last of the Mohicans.
The next one, if not full EV, will be some ghey 4 cylinder hybrid fru fru with a plastic vase and a daisy in it. Yeah blah blah it'll be 0-60 in 1.1 seconds but you will be in trunk sleeping while it's doing that.

I'm starting to think Demolition Man was not a movie but a prophecy. Pretty soon we will stop driving normal cars, use genderless bathrooms and wipe our asses with shells. Sex will be done via VR in combination with genital vibrator. And you'll get a ticket if you say shit and fuck out loud.

I'm sure it depends on the area of the world and country but where I am there's a distinct divide between us and them regarding ICE and electrical toaster ovens. Let's just say I can't see anyone who drives EV's I would want to be friends with and the feeling is mutual I'm sure

Point of clarification... the movie did not specify that you were supposed to wipe your ass with the shells.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2021, 10:16 AM   #79
BGM-M3COMP
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patton250 View Post
Brother I really do like most your comments on this forum but you did not address one thing he said. Not with anything that has substance anyway. Everything he said is true and will probably be true for the foreseeable future. Let me say though I truly hope your speculation comes true because if it doesn’t we are going to be in a world of hurt as government(s) shoves this fake green technology down our throat‘s.
I already did. I said it’s only going to improve at an even faster rate than what we have saw in recent years.

He’s coaching what he knows of TODAY. Who said ICE is banned today?

No such thing as fake green technology. It’s happening. It’s here. We’re witnessing car makers switching over.

I’m a gearhead as much as anyone here. I love my v8’s so you think im happy they’re going to be done soon? Yeah and no.

Yeah because I said I like new tech. No because there’s still a used market.

No one can predict what the future lies for used ICE but rest assure the government knows people are complaining about 4 dollars a gallon now. Wait until they gradually increase that to 10 or more. All of us will have no choice but to switch. At that time it’ll be 100x better than it is today so that way no one will have excuses.

Btw I have a couple friends with Tesla’s. Not one of them ever had an issue with charging lol

We’re all adults. You plan according to your lifestyle. Always needing to find a gas station because you forgot the night before from parting sounds like 19 year old problems lmao

Last edited by BGM-M3COMP; 12-12-2021 at 10:24 AM.. Reason: spelling errors
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2021, 10:31 AM   #80
Chicane_
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 CS + other stuff

I see several members are looking forward to BMW EV's. Presumably the people on this board are driving enthusiasts so what is that excites you about EVs? Instant torque? From a driving point of view, that the only 'benefit' I can possibly think of. I type that word in quotes because the sensation of such instant torque isn't really all that sporty. Impressive, yes but there's no change in character or crescendo as speed builds. Just extra wind noise.
Appreciate 2
Ruyseart155.50
DavidXJ664.50
      12-12-2021, 10:39 AM   #81
BGM-M3COMP
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicane_ View Post
I see several members are looking forward to BMW EV's. Presumably the people on this board are driving enthusiasts so what is that excites you about EVs? Instant torque? From a driving point of view, that the only 'benefit' I can possibly think of. I type that word in quotes because the sensation of such instant torque isn't really all that sporty. Impressive, yes but there's no change in character or crescendo as speed builds. Just extra wind noise.
Just remember, most people see cars as appliances. With ZERO emotional attachment to them. Same with buying a phone. You buy a new phone, use it, it gets old, you sell or trade and get a new phone. This is how usual people buy cars.

Car makers are in the business to make money, to manufacture what they can sell. If the trend and business model is EV, that's where they'll go. And of course they'll make some "performance EV's" for the small percentage (because yes we fall under a small percentage) that will want a fast car regardless of what's powering it.

I've driven in fast tesla's. 2 of my friends have model 3 performances. Even though there's a lack of top end, the straight line performance from 0-100mph is almost unmatched.

Look up videos of people riding in fast EV's for the first time. They can't wipe the grin off their face. Most people i know already lost interest in ICE cars. All i ever hear now is, "i can't wait to buy an electric car because they're all so fast".

I want to argue with them because maybe right now that statement is flawed but if i argue with them, i would be proven wrong in a couple of years.
Appreciate 1
      12-12-2021, 10:43 AM   #82
Chicane_
Lieutenant
Rep

Be careful what you and your friends wish for. The novelty of acceleration will grow old and you'll be left with a soulless mobility device.

As they say, you sometimes don't know what you have until it's gone.
Appreciate 1
DavidXJ664.50
      12-12-2021, 10:44 AM   #83
Chicane_
Lieutenant
Rep

I realize I'm an extreme case in that I have absolutely zero interest in an EV for anything other that a comfortable daily driver. Basically my tool car.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2021, 10:52 AM   #84
BGM-M3COMP
Rep

Garage List
All i'm saying is whether we like it or not, EV is coming.

So however you want to dissect it for self reassurance so you can sleep better at night is all up to you.

It's better to embrace it knowing it's coming, and enjoy what you have now while you can than to deny deny deny. Then when that day comes, you'll rage and wonder why.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2021, 11:04 AM   #85
Chicane_
Lieutenant
Rep

I'm not denying it's coming but no one is forcing us to buy them. There are so many great ICE driver's cars in circulation and still on sale that if well maintained, will satisfy enthusiast's needs for decades to come.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2021, 12:57 PM   #86
BGM-M3COMP
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I'm not denying it's coming but no one is forcing us to buy them. There are so many great ICE driver's cars in circulation and still on sale that if well maintained, will satisfy enthusiast's needs for decades to come.
No one can force you in a literal sense. I even said it that the average life of a car on the road is like 12 years. So if they ended ICE sales TODAY, by the year 2034-2035 comes around, you'll still have 50% of ICE cars on the road.

I'm predicting they can take away your privileges in keeping your wants and needs. Extreme high gas prices, higher insurance to keep an ICE car, maybe mileage restrictions, reinforced and more strict emission regulations and testing. They can literally do whatever they want. We're not a communist country, yet. But i believe this indirect way of forcing an ICE ban in 2030 or 2035 is pretty much a push in that direction.

The whole 2035 ICE ban is just the start. Hell even exotic car makers are going EV now.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2021, 01:15 PM   #87
bmwdrive
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5

The arguments I have seen:

1. You should not buy an ICE car because it will be obsolete and extinct. It will be worthless in a few years.
2. You should not buy an EV because, with technology moving so fast, the EV you buy today will be obsolete and worthless in a few years.

Since any car you buy today will be obsolete and worthless in a few years, you might as well buy a car that you will enjoy.
Appreciate 3
Chicane_1050.00
DavidXJ664.50
      12-12-2021, 01:35 PM   #88
jimbethesda
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3 (F80)

Quote:
Quote:
No one can force you in a literal sense. I even said it that the average life of a car on the road is like 12 years. So if they ended ICE sales TODAY, by the year 2034-2035 comes around, you'll still have 50% of ICE cars on the road.

I'm predicting they can take away your privileges in keeping your wants and needs. Extreme high gas prices, higher insurance to keep an ICE car, maybe mileage restrictions, reinforced and more strict emission regulations and testing. They can literally do whatever they want. We're not a communist country, yet. But i believe this indirect way of forcing an ICE ban in 2030 or 2035 is pretty much a push in that direction.

The whole 2035 ICE ban is just the start. Hell even exotic car makers are going EV now.
communist country, LOL.

Look up externalities, it's a weakness of the free market system that can be rectified by forcing the external costs/benefits to be internalized. The best way to do that on this topic is with a carbon tax instead of mandates. You can cut taxes on income to balance the net take. But Tax is a bad word. Even if you cut income taxes so that the net take by the government is the same. Everyone would just hear "blah, blah, blah, more expensive gas".

What did we do instead? Poorly written mpg standards that helped to create the minivan and then the big SUV. Subsidies for Teslas. Both were awful policy decisions.

If you don't internalize negative or positive externalities, you will over consume some things, and under consume others. This is consistent with capitalism. More than consistent, it's required if you want to maximize the potential of capitalism.

While this is a simple concept, it escapes most people. So politicians feed off of that and create sub optimal policies. In this case, future bans on ICE.

I personally don't like bans or mandates. Better outcomes can be achieved through economic penalties and incentives. The likelihood of that in the US is remote, so bans are the only choice.
2015 M3 (sold)
2022 G83
Appreciate 0