BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics BMW M3 (G80), M4 (G82), CSL and 3.0 CSL General Forum

12-13-2021, 11:00 AM   #1
beachBmmr
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 F90 M5 SG/AB

TIL two new things about my G82

1. Reverse has a 19 mph limit...experienced this backing down a long country road that ended in dirt unexpectedly.

2. If you are in manual shifting mode, and you pull and hold the + Paddle. You will revert back to auto shift mode...

Every day is a new discovery!
Salespunk1745.00
      12-13-2021, 11:07 AM   #2
kingmatt92
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 Xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachBmmr View Post
1. Reverse has a 19 mph limit...experienced this backing down a long country road that ended in dirt unexpectedly.

2. If you are in manual shifting mode, and you pull and hold the + Paddle. You will revert back to auto shift mode...

In manual mode will the car automatically shift at redline?
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2021, 11:30 AM   #3
beachBmmr
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingmatt92 View Post
Nope
      12-13-2021, 01:44 PM   #4
kjx
///M ♥ Recycled Dinosaurs
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M4, BMW X5 45e

Garage List
Quote:

Tapping + and - together should also switch you back to fully automatic. I've not tried on my M4 but it should carry over.
      12-13-2021, 01:57 PM   #5
AndroidRobot
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Porsche Boxster GTS

Garage List
  [0.00]
2022 Porsche Boxste ...  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingmatt92 View Post
No, it will not

To get back to 'auto mode' after using the paddles, either hold the "+" or hit + then - quickly and it goes back. Same with all BMW's.

Now, if you move the gear lever to S and it doesn't show the "D" next to the current gear, the paddle trick doesn't work
2018 BMW M2 Mineral Grey(SOLD)
2019 BMW X5 50i Carbon Black/Tartufo (SOLD)
Appreciate 1
      12-13-2021, 02:07 PM   #6
NightWriter
Colonel
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 Pure

God bless you for hitting the reverse speed limiter. Don't think I've ever been brave enough on any car.
      12-13-2021, 03:10 PM   #7
M3anLantern
(Incoming) G80 M3Cx
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G80 M3C xDrive

Quote:

Might be old news but on the basis that you just discovered no. 2, holding the - paddle should also drop you to the lowest available gear. Most BMW ZF boxes allow that as far as i am aware.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2021, 03:15 PM   #8
Ex_Stig
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '24 X7 M60i

Garage List
2024 BMW X7 M60  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dk1894 View Post
Might be old news but on the basis that you just discovered no. 2, holding the - paddle should also drop you to the lowest available gear. Most BMW ZF boxes allow that as far as i am aware.
This only works if you are also pressing the "kickdown button" under the throttle. So, you need to have your foot all the way on the gas for this to happen.

'25 M5 Touring (on the list, first slot)
'24 X7 M60i
'22 M5 CS - (sold)
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2021, 03:17 PM   #9
M3anLantern
(Incoming) G80 M3Cx
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G80 M3C xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex Stig View Post
Quote:
This only works if you are also pressing the "kickdown button" under the throttle. So, you need to have your foot all the way on the gas for this to happen.
This was not my experience at all- the kickdown switch under the accelerator does that anyway. What I'm referring to is if you're just sat in a higher gear in manual, you can hold the left paddle to shift to the lowest gear available (with no input required on the accelerator).
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2021, 03:28 PM   #10
Ex_Stig
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2024 BMW X7 M60  [10.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
This was not my experience at all- the kickdown switch under the accelerator does that anyway. What I'm referring to is if you're just sat in a higher gear in manual, you can hold the left paddle to shift to the lowest gear available (with no input required on the accelerator).
I'll give it a try on my way home from the office, but in my limited experience it didn't work that way.

To be fair though, I've only tried it 1 or 2 times ever.

Also, the kick down button only drops to a lower gear if in auto mode.

'24 X7 M60i
'22 M5 CS - (sold)
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2021, 04:30 PM   #11
Ex_Stig
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2024 BMW X7 M60  [10.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
In the car now. In manual mode, holding the "-" paddle does no additional downshifts beyond the first one.

It seems strange that this would vary from model to model.

'24 X7 M60i
'22 M5 CS - (sold)
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2021, 04:43 PM   #12
beachBmmr
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
In the car now. In manual mode, holding the "-" paddle does no additional downshifts beyond the first one.

It only does it in auto shift, and you do not need to be on kickdown
      12-13-2021, 06:27 PM   #13
Ex_Stig
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2024 BMW X7 M60  [10.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Well, that explains it. I honestly don't ever drive in Auto mode. Also, seems redundant to then use a paddle while in auto mode. But, to each there own.

'24 X7 M60i
'22 M5 CS - (sold)
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2021, 06:52 PM   #14
beachBmmr
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Well, that explains it. I honestly don't ever drive in Auto mode. Also, seems redundant to then use a paddle while in auto mode. But, to each there own.
The utility is that with this zf you can go to the lowest gear in one shift. I.e 6-3 to overtake on the highway or brake into a corner on track
      12-13-2021, 07:10 PM   #15
jimbethesda
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3 (F80)

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

The utility is that with this zf you can go to the lowest gear in one shift. I.e 6-3 to overtake on the highway or brake into a corner on track
He just doesn't get doing this when in auto mode, and I agree. I'm also usually in manual mode and skip gears on downshift all the time.
2015 M3 (sold)
2022 G83
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2021, 07:15 PM   #16
Ex_Stig
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2024 BMW X7 M60  [10.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Using Auto mode… on the track? Surely you jest. Lol

'24 X7 M60i
'22 M5 CS - (sold)
Appreciate 1
      12-13-2021, 07:37 PM   #17
beachBmmr
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Ok Ill bite..

Well sure. When you're working on other things not having to think about shifting is useful. Especially when learning a new track, working on brake points or turn in spots.

If you're always driving in manual mode why you not have a 6mt.

Im man enough to say that Ive used auto shifting for a while while doing the above but it does have its problems, it likes to upshift rather than hold close to redline and it shift a tad early. There are times when engine braking is usefulness trying to get the maximum speed through a corner.

Not everyone is the same skill driver
      12-13-2021, 07:53 PM   #18
jimbethesda
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3 (F80)

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Ok Ill bite..

Well sure. When you're working on other things not having to think about shifting is useful. Especially when learning a new track, working on brake points or turn in spots.

Im man enough to say that Ive used auto shifting for a while while doing the above but it does have its problems, it likes to upshift rather than hold close to redline and it shift a tad early. There are times when engine braking is usefulness trying to get the maximum speed through a corner.

Because it wasn't available on the G83
2015 M3 (sold)
2022 G83
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2021, 08:08 PM   #19
M_Adaptive
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, 2022 G82 M4 AWD

Quote:
Ok Ill bite..

Last time I was at the BMW performance center I asked why the shift lights on the steering wheel keep lighting up before the redline. I thought the steering wheel lights were not working properly and was explained by a BMW driving instructor that shifting at the redline does not equate to max power. The car is probably shifting at the most optimal power range when upshifting itself. Especially if you have the transmission set to the highest setting.
2022 G82 M4C Xdrive
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2021, 08:12 PM   #20
beachBmmr
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Adaptive View Post
Quote:
Ok Ill bite..

Last time I was at the BMW performance center I asked why the shift lights on the steering wheel keep lighting up before the redline. I thought the steering wheel lights were not working properly and was explained by a BMW driving instructor that shifting at the redline does not equate to max power. The car is probably shifting at the most optimal power range when upshifting itself. Especially if you have the transmission set to the highest setting.
Yeah likely. I found at times when I wanted to stay in 3rd right before braking for corner, the auto kept putting me in 4th. Especially when not under wot. Like coming through an S curve with maintenance throttle up high in the rev range it wanted to grab another gear and I wanted to wind it out
      12-13-2021, 08:33 PM   #21
luckylingy
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: X3M

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightWriter View Post
God bless you for hitting the reverse speed limiter. Don't think I've ever been brave enough on any car.
Must be a new limiter. Years ago I ran a gymkhana in my E90 M3 -- in reverse -- and far exceeded 20 mph through the slalom portion of the course. What a blast!!!
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2021, 11:09 AM   #22
_E90S65_
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i

Only 19mph?

Damn, I was hoping to brush up on my J-turn skills when I get my G80.
2011.5 E90 M3 Silverstone / Black (gone)

Last edited by _E90S65_; 12-14-2021 at 11:24 AM..
Appreciate 0