BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Cosmetic Care & Detailing (PPF/Wash/Wax/Detailing/Restoration/Repairs)

08-25-2022, 08:32 PM   #1
bmw noob
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 G80 Comp x-drive

Garage List
How much damage before ppf replacement

Hey all…I ended up getting full ppf on my San Marino g80. I finished a drive to savannah from Miami and thought there was a large piece of debris on the hood, right around the middle about 1/3 up from front.

Turns out, it's a hole in the ppf where something must have hit it on the drive up.

First, thank goodness for the ppf acting as a sacrificial layer, as I do not see any paint damage, though admittedly it may be marked right at the edge of the impact. Car only has 1500 miles, this is the only imperfection in the ppf.

Should I go Immediately to get the hood redone? Or should I wait a bit? Never had ppf before, so not sure the "usual" course of action here. Seems a little silly to replace the whole hood after a month or so for such a small mark…but then again if the nick remains visible after a wash it will bother me. Hahaha
2022 G80 comp X-drive:San Marino Blue/ Silverstone, 826 bicolor, cf roof; exec pkg; shadow lasers; carbon pack; MSS HAS; spacers (15/12); Burger intakes; Unit17 front lip/CS Style spoiler; TLG flappies; full xpel ppf + 15% tint; AWE switchpath exhaust w/mid-pipes; csl strut brace; Eventuri cf engine cover
Gone: 2020 M340i; 2017 F30 340i; 2008 e92 335
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2022, 12:10 AM   #2
kjx
///M ♥ Recycled Dinosaurs
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M4, BMW X5 45e

Garage List
You can (a) trim out any PPF sticking up clearly using an exacto knife or similar - very slowly and carefully. (b) apply individual touch up paint as needed including on any PPF that's not 'concealed' anymore.

That's usually all that's needed. You'll be replacing your PPF over and over if you get into that mode of 'it has to be perfect'. The odds of something hitting in the exact same spot where something hit your PPF already is close to none.
bmw noob1442.50
      08-26-2022, 10:23 AM   #3
PHXATC
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '22 911 '20 430i '20 Explorer

Up to you, really. If you're crazy OCD about it and it bothers you enough to pay some $$ to replace the hood PPF, then go get it done. If it is small enough to not notice, leave it be.

I would do as suggested above and try and repair/replace the missing portion. Maybe take it to your installer as well and get his/her advice.

If you can't repair/replace it, then run it awhile until you can't stand it or it gets more similar dings in it and then replace it.
Appreciate 1
bmw noob1442.50
      08-27-2022, 03:56 AM   #4
Wo-Wo
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 Comp Coupe

^this

I’d say it’s down to you. We had a similar issue on my wife’s LCI X3 and we’ve agreed to get the winter out of the way and we’ll replace the bonnet piece.
bmw noob1442.50