BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics Pricing, Ordering, Leasing / Purchasing, Delivery

10-20-2021, 06:29 PM   #661
jailonacs99
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 M4 xDrive Competition

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightedBMW View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Likeanowl View Post
Not to stir the pot but I called genius just a bit ago regarding my car and decided to ask some questions just to see what I could find and got the following info:

-She said according to her “bulletin” as well as a recent meeting they had the main bearing shell affects LESS than 600 vehicles total. She said it is only the m3/4 x3/4m. I said “I heard it was in the thousands” to which she replied “no I’m reading it directly. Total affected vehicles: less than 600.”

-She said she heard nothing of the sort regarding bmw halting/pausing production of unbuilt cars with the s58 engine. She said at most the estimated delay because of this is a week or two at most specifically pertaining to shifting of parts to fix those 600 cars.

-other delays affecting production on top of that are still the Harmon kardon sound system and the laser lights. She said those are still listed as “restricted” options on our cars. She said that does not mean it will be built without them it will just cause more delay. She said if Bmw absolutely cannot source the parts they will remove it from your build and notify you. She said because the HK is standard she doubts that will happen but she said if laser lights for some reason can’t be sourced then because it’s an added option they can remove it if needed. Unless you are specifically notified of something being removed just assume you’ll still get it, just delayed.

-She said she does not have details on the specific “fix” for the main bearing shell but said it was brought up in their meeting but no details we’re given yet.

-She said regarding build week, unfortunately it’s all up in the air. She said she’s seen cars go week 41-44-48-47 and back to 41 again. Others just repeatedly delayed so just cross your fingers because there’s no real way to know until it actually hits production.

I hope some of this helps.

Edit: also I asked about the carbon bucket seats and she said she’s heard nothing about those being short or causing delay. Which I find strange because anyone that’s post week 42-43ish and have carbon buckets seem to all be delayed. But who knows.
How is it possible that of all the members here who have called into genius daily over the past few months and gotten next to no info, this genius happens to have more info than any other genius ever? Interesting.
There are radically different quality of Geniuses depending on who you connect to. I saw the same thing when I was checking the status of my production and all of the different stop sales at the time. Also seen the same thing with questions and trying to resolve issues. I don't know if some play dumb just to get me off the phone, or truly don't know, but when you get a good one they are clearly much better informed and know what resources to access much better than others.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2021, 06:38 PM   #662
eMMit
M Enthusiast
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2022 G80 M3Comp xDrive FDG

Quote:
Originally Posted by g80 Portimaoblue View Post
So is it going to be a bearing replacement or engine replacement?
I honestly don't think they know yet.

Obviously the situation is evolving daily - it appears the number of cars affected is also moving around as they further identify and isolate cars that received the defective batch(es) of bearings during manufacture.

Some clarity via an official statement from BMW is long overdue for us affected owners.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2021, 06:54 PM   #663
modat
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 IOMG M3 Xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightedBMW View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Likeanowl View Post
Not to stir the pot but I called genius just a bit ago regarding my car and decided to ask some questions just to see what I could find and got the following info:

-She said according to her “bulletin” as well as a recent meeting they had the main bearing shell affects LESS than 600 vehicles total. She said it is only the m3/4 x3/4m. I said “I heard it was in the thousands” to which she replied “no I’m reading it directly. Total affected vehicles: less than 600.”

-She said she heard nothing of the sort regarding bmw halting/pausing production of unbuilt cars with the s58 engine. She said at most the estimated delay because of this is a week or two at most specifically pertaining to shifting of parts to fix those 600 cars.

-other delays affecting production on top of that are still the Harmon kardon sound system and the laser lights. She said those are still listed as “restricted” options on our cars. She said that does not mean it will be built without them it will just cause more delay. She said if Bmw absolutely cannot source the parts they will remove it from your build and notify you. She said because the HK is standard she doubts that will happen but she said if laser lights for some reason can’t be sourced then because it’s an added option they can remove it if needed. Unless you are specifically notified of something being removed just assume you’ll still get it, just delayed.

-She said she does not have details on the specific “fix” for the main bearing shell but said it was brought up in their meeting but no details we’re given yet.

-She said regarding build week, unfortunately it’s all up in the air. She said she’s seen cars go week 41-44-48-47 and back to 41 again. Others just repeatedly delayed so just cross your fingers because there’s no real way to know until it actually hits production.

I hope some of this helps.

Edit: also I asked about the carbon bucket seats and she said she’s heard nothing about those being short or causing delay. Which I find strange because anyone that’s post week 42-43ish and have carbon buckets seem to all be delayed. But who knows.
How is it possible that of all the members here who have called into genius daily over the past few months and gotten next to no info, this genius happens to have more info than any other genius ever? Interesting.
She clearly said she just got out of a meeting about it
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2021, 07:45 PM   #664
KnightedBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3C

Quote:
Originally Posted by modat View Post
She clearly said she just got out of a meeting about it
I read what he said. I’m just going to continue taking everything with a grain of salt until I see something official. Lots of unofficial chatter swirling.
Appreciate 2
eMMit226.50
      10-20-2021, 09:12 PM   #665
BMWRacer523
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 Competition xDrive

600 # maybe just US cars.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2021, 09:53 PM   #666
Merda10
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Apparently an official email has gone out today around lunch time to all BMW dealerships (inc shipping companies) that there is an issue and that BMW is working on it.

They will provide regular updates.

So if you contact your dealership they should be aware now and communicate back to you.
Appreciate 2
Ilyam5888.50
      10-21-2021, 12:06 PM   #667
Alarmin
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 Comp xDrive

Garage List
Quick q: will this delay production on cars that are scheduled for production but haven't gone into production yet?
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2021, 12:14 PM   #668
kjx
///M ♥ Recycled Dinosaurs
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M4, BMW X5 45e

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alarmin View Post
Quick q: will this delay production on cars that are scheduled for production but haven't gone into production yet?
Someone earlier in the thread said a 1-2 week delay is expected as parts get prioritized for cars already built. Could be anything or nothing.
      10-21-2021, 12:15 PM   #669
Murse85
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Portimao Blue g80

For all of who are worrying about getting deposit back. I spoke with my sales director and as long as it is before they fix anything, deposit will be returned. Of course got to take into account every dealer is different.
Appreciate 1
NSG33238.50
      10-21-2021, 05:15 PM   #670
Merda10
Rep

Has anyone got any info on timeframe?

According to the DP where I got the car - he said car is ready to be fixed but we got no info what parts, when we will receive, etc.

It's crazy that it's been over a week and they still have no real info for the customers.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2021, 05:58 PM   #671
Tdubb88
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Future M4C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merda10 View Post

According to the DP where I got the car - he said car is ready to be fixed but we got no info what parts, when we will receive, etc.

It's crazy that it's been over a week and they still have no real info for the customers.
I'm not sure I really understand this. Has there even been a remedy from BMW regarding this issue?
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2021, 06:51 PM   #672
Sottozero
Private
Rep
Drives: X3MC 2022

Quote:

Just yesterday, I talked to BMW NA for 20 mins and two dealers. All of them said there is an issue, but no remedy has been communicated yet.

These dealers were in different states as well.

There is zero - I mean, ZERO - chance I will take my $85K X3MC to a dealer for a “fix” without knowing precisely what they will be doing, how, and for how long.

IMO (and I could be wrong), the DP is misinformed or is misunderstanding the issue overall. If he claims he knows what parts are being replaced, and the process of replacing them, well, I’d want a full and very detailed explanation.

I’m a little skeptical of what your DP is saying, but hey, weirder things have happened.
Appreciate 2
MannyS352.50
Tdubb88187.00
      10-21-2021, 07:37 PM   #673
Merda10
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sottozero View Post
Quote:

Just yesterday, I talked to BMW NA for 20 mins and two dealers. All of them said there is an issue, but no remedy has been communicated yet.

There is zero - I mean, ZERO - chance I will take my $85K X3MC to a dealer for a "fix" without knowing precisely what they will be doing, how, and for how long.

IMO (and I could be wrong), the DP is misinformed or is misunderstanding the issue overall. If he claims he knows what parts are being replaced, and the process of replacing them, well, I'd want a full and very detailed explanation.

I'm a little skeptical of what your DP is saying, but hey, weirder things have happened.
He actually said the same - car is ready, as in at the depot but no movement until they get confirmation from BMW.

He said I have no idea what they actually need to fix, how they will fix it and when.

My argument was - well I need to know by the end of the week as I will need to go out and buy a different car. Some clarification and compensation must be provided.
Appreciate 1
Tdubb88187.00
      10-21-2021, 08:20 PM   #674
Brendan///M
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 X4M Competition

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

There is zero - I mean, ZERO - chance I will take my $85K X3MC to a dealer for a "fix" without knowing precisely what they will be doing, how, and for how long.

IMO (and I could be wrong), the DP is misinformed or is misunderstanding the issue overall. If he claims he knows what parts are being replaced, and the process of replacing them, well, I'd want a full and very detailed explanation.

I'm a little skeptical of what your DP is saying, but hey, weirder things have happened.
He actually said the same - car is ready, as in at the depot but no movement until they get confirmation from BMW.

He said I have no idea what they actually need to fix, how they will fix it and when.

My argument was - well I need to know by the end of the week as I will need to go out and buy a different car. Some clarification and compensation must be provided.
You guys are funny. Nothing will be provided. They owe us nothing. They are not contractually obligated to sell us cars. Yes they will refund the deposit, no questions asked, for all those freaking out. No they will not provide discounts on another car, lol. They have people lined up for these cars at $10-20K markup. We are at their mercy. See my previous posts in this thread with my discussions with BMWNA. Hopefully everyone here, except me, has another car to drive in the meantime while this is sorted out, it could be a while.
Appreciate 1
      10-21-2021, 08:24 PM   #675
Merda10
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendan///M View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

You guys are funny. Nothing will be provided. They owe us nothing. They are not contractually obligated to sell us cars. Yes they will refund the deposit, no questions asked, for all those freaking out. No they will not provide discounts on another car, lol. They have people lined up for these cars at $10-20K markup. We are at their mercy. See my previous posts in this thread with my discussions with BMWNA. Hopefully everyone here, except me, has another car to drive in the meantime while this is sorted out, it could be a while.
Don't think so - I like to flip these cars yearly. So you don't look after me and I will go else where and spend the 150-200 we do on these cars.

Now if your dealership is how you say and can just sell to someone else great - I doubt he will see you back there.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2021, 08:28 PM   #676
Brendan///M
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Don't think so - I like to flip these cars yearly. So you don't look after me and I will go else where and spend the 150-200 we do on these cars.

Now if your dealership is how you say and can just sell to someone else great - I doubt he will see you back there.
Yes, in the past, that would have worked. Now they have thousands of people fighting over one allocation. If you think they will sell you the car at invoice to earn your repeat business, while plenty of people are willing to pay 10-20K over, I have a bridge to sell you. My local dealerships all have empty lots and no cars coming in for the next 4-6 months. I honestly don't blame them for marking up.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2021, 08:31 PM   #677
Merda10
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Yes, in the past, that would have worked. Now they have thousands of people fighting over one allocation. If you think they will sell you the car at invoice to earn your repeat business, while plenty of people are willing to pay 10-20K over, I have a bridge to sell you.
Well they've put me in a M3 manual until mine is sorted. So I guess it worked.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2021, 08:34 PM   #678
Brendan///M
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Yes, in the past, that would have worked. Now they have thousands of people fighting over one allocation. If you think they will sell you the car at invoice to earn your repeat business, while plenty of people are willing to pay 10-20K over, I have a bridge to sell you.
Exactly my point. It's not like they are ordering you a new X3/4MC that will be there next month at $5K off, as some here are expecting.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2021, 08:58 PM   #679
MavRick
Captain
Rep
Drives: My Wife's M

Quote:
a G80? they gave you a G80 loaner...for an unspecified amount of time....when folks are waiting in line for em??? i'd call shenanigans if i were the shenanigan-calling sort...
Appreciate 2
Tdubb88187.00
      10-21-2021, 09:26 PM   #680
Merda10
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MavRick View Post
Quote:
a G80? they gave you a G80 loaner...for an unspecified amount of time....when folks are waiting in line for em??? i'd call shenanigans if i were the shenanigan-calling sort...
Until they get an answer. Limited to 250km.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2021, 09:45 PM   #681
Mjanisse
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M3 CS

Driving my G80 everyday and loving it. Yes my car is on the list and I don't expect anything more than the proper fix with the least amount of inconvenience and no damage to my vehicle during repair. Am I thrilled?? Of course not. I have had time to think about this and realized I ordered my car in July and took delivery 1st week in October and paid MSRP. So, a lot of other forum members have gone through a lot more to even land their G80 so I'm having a hard time continuing to whine about the situation. It was killing the whole experience for me. I've come to terms with the fix either being a teardown or engine swap. No way around it (that I'm aware of) and I'll try to prolong it as long as I can. I definitely don't want to be the first one in line for a dealer fix.. in the interim I'm not letting it ruin my happiness while I'm driving this beast everyday. I'm coming out of a CS and the G80 is really settling in with me each passing day. Its a lot of car for the money. I've tuned a number of M cars and prayed things held together but if they didn't well I'd be in the same boat. At least this fix is on BMW dime. I'm not giving the car back or selling it. I keep hearing this $85k or $100k price as some sort of threshold whereby perfection is expected. It makes me laugh as pick-up trucks cost that much now...sorry I just think that's funny. I agree with the posts whereby it's recommended that we control our expectations. Here in Southern Cal I'm seeing 6-9mos wait and $10k-$20k over sticker just like the C8's. Some people are content with 200hp-300hp to get around town. I like 500+ so I'm learning to expect some issues. However, I can't wait to see some real solutions and solid answers. The one thing I consistently agree with is that it's taking BMW too long to provide us with this info. Most M car owners are pretty passionate about their cars. My perspective over this ordeal has changed over the last couple of weeks. Can't wait for the real BMW Genius to step up already.
Appreciate 2
Tdubb88187.00
sleepdoc256.50
      10-21-2021, 10:34 PM   #682
Tdubb88
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Future M4C

This was interesting. Seems like it would've been more relevant to post it here

https://www.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...php?p=28169732
Appreciate 1