BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics Pricing, Ordering, Leasing / Purchasing, Delivery

10-14-2021, 04:29 PM   #507
///LeFrenchie
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3C

Some old engine design had the possibility to change main bearing shells from the bottom without removing the engine. Pretty fast too. I don't know on 3.0 twin turbo but I'm crossing my fingers. Personally I will prefer that against a full engine replacement with problems that may occur (gearbox attachment, leaks...).

Last edited by ///LeFrenchie; 10-14-2021 at 04:50 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2021, 04:43 PM   #508
Brendan///M
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 X4M Competition

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by x3mghost View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilyam5 View Post
Quote:
My GM at the store I purchased from called yesterday regarding my X4M. He's good friends with me so this is what was discussed.

BMW states these cars are drivable for those affected. If you haven't taken delivery of the vehicle by a dealerships perspective (RDR = reporting a vehicle), and have the deal funded via BMWFS or whomever, then your vehicle can not be sold.

I was offered a concession via BMW for 4 months to be paid for the car. However, I feel for that given tHe situation it's hard to "enjoy" the car inevitably knowing that it will have to eventually go back to get the main bearings replaced, or the engine. If they offered a supplementary warranty maybe I could warm up to the idea. However, 13 miles on the clock — doesn't sit right.

So my dealership will let me know if we switch gears to maybe ordering an x6m instead.

Kinda bummed as there was product installed on the car and I order an exhaust and parts only for literally a day after the bulletin to appear. Crappy timing.

I'm also bummed because I ordered a couple of parts from a vendor on here and now will be charged $1000+ for a 20% restocking fee on parts that are still in the box.

So it's been "fun" rollercoaster this go around
WOW

they offered you 5 thousand dollars>? Interesting. Are they anticipating it taking 4 months to fix with current parts shortage?
Or a value degrade by 5K

Take the money. Drive the car for 4 months for free - in the meantime order another car. Trade this one in at the end of 4 months.
$2500
Not a bad concession. Was this from the dealership or BMWNA? I have had calls into BMWNA since middle of last week but have yet to get a call back from my case manager. Was told the phones went down company wide for a week. I am just hoping they will offer to pay for a loaner while a new car is ordered.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2021, 04:46 PM   #509
m3ct
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 Competition xDrive Bro

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightedBMW View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by m3ct View Post
I just sold it for 6k over msrp, walked away just about even. I've been through this before and it's not worth it.
Glad you're happy. If this turns out to be a nothing burger are you going to be happy that you moved on before having any info whatsoever? Onto the next for you I guess.
Yes, tbh I liked the f80 more and wish I kept that. G80 was a bit of a disappointment for me. This was the inflection point for me.

Also, what if is serious? By then it's too late.
Appreciate 2
NickyC17481.00
      10-14-2021, 04:51 PM   #510
Audicy
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2022 M4 Comp xDrive

Quote:
Coming from a sales manager, you can't be pissed.

YOU TOOK THE CAR HOME. I don't know why in your right mind you would take the car knowing there is a stop sale.

To answer your question, this is a stop sale, not a stop drive.
Clearly you didn't read or understand my comments.

I said "the stop delivery was issued the day before, but nobody at the dealership read it yet and delivered the car".

They realized later that day and still didn't tell me, no email, no phone call nothing. I went to the dealership 4 days later to ask about an unrelated thing and then they told me about it and said I can't take it home.

So... maybe read, comprehend or ask questions before being arrogant and confrontational 👍🏼.
Appreciate 1
      10-14-2021, 05:52 PM   #511
eMMit
M Enthusiast
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2022 G80 M3Comp xDrive FDG

Appreciate 0
      10-14-2021, 06:05 PM   #512
kennejp
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

I’ve read through all of this and seems like no one has any actual information other then the tsb. I’m in the same boat was supposed to get my car Monday and they have stopped the sale. I can’t get any actual information on this just keep getting referred to the main recall/tsb anyone have actual info other then speculation?
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2021, 06:13 PM   #513
KnightedBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3C

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennejp View Post
I’ve read through all of this and seems like no one has any actual information other then the tsb. I’m in the same boat was supposed to get my car Monday and they have stopped the sale. I can’t get any actual information on this just keep getting referred to the main recall/tsb anyone have actual info other then speculation?
Nope.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2021, 06:21 PM   #514
eMMit
M Enthusiast
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2022 G80 M3Comp xDrive FDG

As soon as I hear anything back from BMW it will be posted here. As I'm sure everyone else affected will do too.
Appreciate 2
NSG33238.50
Limegrntaln13461.50
      10-14-2021, 07:07 PM   #515
kennejp
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

Thanks guys. I assumed that was the case.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2021, 07:18 PM   #516
M4Ghost
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendan///M View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilyam5 View Post
Quote:
My GM at the store I purchased from called yesterday regarding my X4M. He's good friends with me so this is what was discussed.

BMW states these cars are drivable for those affected. If you haven't taken delivery of the vehicle by a dealerships perspective (RDR = reporting a vehicle), and have the deal funded via BMWFS or whomever, then your vehicle can not be sold.

I was offered a concession via BMW for 4 months to be paid for the car. However, I feel for that given tHe situation it's hard to "enjoy" the car inevitably knowing that it will have to eventually go back to get the main bearings replaced, or the engine. If they offered a supplementary warranty maybe I could warm up to the idea. However, 13 miles on the clock — doesn't sit right.

So my dealership will let me know if we switch gears to maybe ordering an x6m instead.

Kinda bummed as there was product installed on the car and I order an exhaust and parts only for literally a day after the bulletin to appear. Crappy timing.

I'm also bummed because I ordered a couple of parts from a vendor on here and now will be charged $1000+ for a 20% restocking fee on parts that are still in the box.

So it's been "fun" rollercoaster this go around
WOW

they offered you 5 thousand dollars>? Interesting. Are they anticipating it taking 4 months to fix with current parts shortage?
Or a value degrade by 5K

Take the money. Drive the car for 4 months for free - in the meantime order another car. Trade this one in at the end of 4 months.
$2500
Not a bad concession. Was this from the dealership or BMWNA? I have had calls into BMWNA since middle of last week but have yet to get a call back from my case manager. Was told the phones went down company wide for a week. I am just hoping they will offer to pay for a loaner while a new car is ordered.
To answer everyone's question this is bmw na and dealership participation.

They are aware that this will be an issue. However I'm leaning more towards getting the x6m and saving more money.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2021, 07:19 PM   #517
M4Ghost
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audicy View Post
Quote:

YOU TOOK THE CAR HOME. I don't know why in your right mind you would take the car knowing there is a stop sale.

I said "the stop delivery was issued the day before, but nobody at the dealership read it yet and delivered the car".

They realized later that day and still didn't tell me, no email, no phone call nothing. I went to the dealership 4 days later to ask about an unrelated thing and then they told me about it and said I can't take it home.

So... maybe read, comprehend or ask questions before being arrogant and confrontational 👍🏼.
I read your post three or four times. Clearly you should learn to write if you want help. If you can explain what exactly happened as I still do not understand I would be happy to provide you suppOrtD
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2021, 07:23 PM   #518
kjx
///M ♥ Recycled Dinosaurs
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M4, BMW X5 45e

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I read your post three or four times. Clearly you should learn to write if you want help. If you can explain what exactly happened as I still do not understand I would be happy to provide you suppOrtD
I don't know.. it seems like everyone else understood what he was saying. :
      10-14-2021, 08:16 PM   #519
jailonacs99
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 M4 xDrive Competition

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjx View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I don't know.. it seems like everyone else understood what he was saying. :
I think he means the second time around, when he went back to the dealership and then left with it, not the first time.

That is a reasonable inflection point to walk away with no monetary repercussions as the buyer.

Whatever the case, I feel for everybody. I haven't had serious issues since my E46, but as much as I loved that car, it needed the subframe replacement and DIYed the aftermarket VANOS seals. I am financing my G82, and by some miracle not only did I get my car in late August (March deposit), but no stop sales. I see from the API I did have a electronics issue get resolved at some point after production, but it never delayed my car any longer than the wait for the EPA cert like all 2022s at VPC in August.

My .02; one thing to keep in mind for all of us is every single owner here, loan or lease, has YEARS before our warranties are up. That is a lot of time to sell the car, have issues, get an extended warranty, etc. After the debacles with my out of warranty E46 16 years ago, I have dropped 5 figures on extended warranties for my bimmers that I have made exactly one claim against: Driver's side door actuator replacement. I.e., the little lock thingy stopped going uppy when I pressed the button. The horror.

Not only do we not know the true extent of the issue, but we are at the absolute beginning of years of paid-for mechanical resolutions, which leaves us lots of time to move on if we want. I would be more worried if I had just bought an Audi R8 and watched the 3rd or 4th video on YouTube in as many weeks of the engine exploding into flames. Right now folks are panicking over a line of text online. I know the supply chain delays are exacerbating the frustrations, but that's a boat the entire world is on right now for the foreseeable future. You won't make your situation any better by jumping into the water just to wait 6 months for the next boat to come along.
Appreciate 2
eMMit226.50
kjx3197.00
      10-14-2021, 08:49 PM   #520
M4Ghost
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
So, I picked up my 2022 M4 Comp on October 9th around noon. I went in yesterday to thank my sales guy and ask a simple question to which he said... :There is a stop sale/delivery on your car so you cant leave here with it".

After he told me what it was for, I said, But you delivered it like 4 days ago. I'm not leaving it until I hear from BMW.

Manager agreed and said they would contact me once they had more information. The dealership actually got the Stop Delivery the day before on the 8th, but nobody read it so BMW wont release the funds to them and complete the sale.

So now it is sitting in my driveway and me not knowing if I should be driving it or not, should I demand to return it or not or if Im even affected or not. The car does fall into the build date frame for the issue.

This sure out a serious damper on my excitement for a car I waited 10 months for.
Now this makes sense.

If you want the car, I would keep it. If you're like me I would talk to them about the possibility of concessions such a warranty, x amount of payments or getting out of the lease all together. They have no cashable contract.

Let me know if you need anything else. Sorry for the gruff response:
Appreciate 1
      10-14-2021, 08:56 PM   #521
eclipsenf
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3ct View Post
I just sold it for 6k over msrp, walked away just about even. I've been through this before and it's not worth it.
You don't play around lol. Congratulations or commiserations
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2021, 09:25 PM   #522
MocoLoco
Private
Rep
Drives: Ordered 2022 G82 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///LeFrenchie View Post
Some old engine design had the possibility to change main bearing shells from the bottom without removing the engine. Pretty fast too. I don't know on 3.0 twin turbo but I'm crossing my fingers. Personally I will prefer that against a full engine replacement with problems that may occur (gearbox attachment, leaks...).
The E60 M5 bearing issue was no simple task man. That was changed from the bottom and recommended at 60k miles. If ya'll google "e60 rod bearing" you'll see what's up. I have a g82 on order, but I'm seriously considering letting it go because of this. If you're looking to keep this car long term you'll have a bad time.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2021, 09:56 PM   #523
Circa77
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2022 G80 M3 6MT

Quote:
I understood him just fine, and I'm a tremendous idiot!
Appreciate 1
      10-14-2021, 10:16 PM   #524
Audicy
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Now this makes sense.

If you want the car, I would keep it. If you're like me I would talk to them about the possibility of concessions such a warranty, x amount of payments or getting out of the lease all together. They have no cashable contract.

No worries, cheers.

I try to keep my posts somewhat short, could have had more details.
Appreciate 1
      10-14-2021, 10:18 PM   #525
Audicy
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Circa77 View Post
I understood him just fine, and I'm a tremendous idiot!
Naw, idiots usually think they're smart lol. Smart people usually think they're idiots.

😜
Appreciate 2
bmwdrive464.00
kjx3197.00
      10-14-2021, 10:23 PM   #526
Indo Rider
Captain
Rep
Drives: 135

Quote:
Naw, idiots usually think they're smart lol. Smart people usually think they're idiots.

😜
So true.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2021, 10:35 PM   #527
MocoLoco
Private
Rep
Drives: Ordered 2022 G82 6MT

This guy has a pretty informative video on the e60 engine bearing issue. Even if you don't take my word just know that this engine bearing issues isn't just an anomaly with one specific engine.

Appreciate 0
      10-14-2021, 10:35 PM   #528
M4Ghost
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Now this makes sense.

No worries, cheers.

I try to keep my posts somewhat short, could have had more details.
Also if you're not familiar with a collateral swap, any bank can do it much easier for them to do that than to lose a deal
Appreciate 0