07-28-2021, 03:34 PM   #1
bimmermann88
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW g05

Toronto red and paint chips

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
I am looking at ordering my M3 next week and I am still stuck on a exterior color between black and red! One of my concerns is paint chips of course. do you think I'll get as many visible paint chips with red because I definitely know I will with black! Im definitely want to do the ceramic coating but if I go red I might not need the PPF! What does everyone think?!
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2021, 04:37 PM   #2
Scorp!on
Captain
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 G80 MT BSM

Uhm I guess you see it on basically every colour except a light grey maybe.

If you're really worried about it I would PPF no matter what color.

TR for sure is a damn underrated beautiful color !
Appreciate 1
psylovibe1030.00
      07-28-2021, 04:49 PM   #3
bimmermann88
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorp!on View Post
Uhm I guess you see it on basically every colour except a light grey maybe.

If you're really worried about it I would PPF no matter what color.

TR for sure is a damn underrated beautiful color !
TR looks hot a hell I think with the DRLs and the black accents! I just think people don't like the grille!! I think that's the whole reason of getting it other than the speed is the grille. I want it to be a head turner and black kinda it's an every day car color and mixes in with the grille!
Appreciate 1
      07-28-2021, 04:56 PM   #4
kjx
///M ♥ Recycled Dinosaurs
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M4, BMW X5 45e

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmermann88 View Post
I am looking at ordering my M3 next week and I am still stuck on a exterior color between black and red! One of my concerns is paint chips of course. do you think I'll get as many visible paint chips with red because I definitely know I will with black! Im definitely want to do the ceramic coating but if I go red I might not need the PPF! What does everyone think?!
Ceramic coating provides no protection against rock chips. Only PPF does. If you're going for an individual color, definitely do not cheap out on PPF.
      07-28-2021, 04:58 PM   #5
AKTexas
Rep
Drives: Mazda 3

https://www.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...php?p=27855926

I actually just posted a question on the general forum about precisely this issue. I was thinking Oxide Grey might work, got some suggestions that BG might be better. I also chatted with a BMW rep over the phone, and he said that pretty much every color will show paint chips regardless of how Grey or metallic it is. So, I'd say go with TR if you love it and just deal with chips as they occur. Still, if anyone has any more thoughts on the issue, I'd love to hear about it for my own purposes as well.
Appreciate 1
      07-28-2021, 07:12 PM   #6
Yas_sir
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G80

Just ppf the front bumper and hood if you are worried about rock chips. Doesn’t cost a ton and you can get whatever color you want.
heavyD^23688.50
V-Eight791.50
02M3ForMe4261.50
      07-28-2021, 08:39 PM   #7
jonahk
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 G80 M3

Garage List
2021 BMW M3  [0.00]
2018 Porsche Macan  [0.00]
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yas_sir View Post
Just ppf the front bumper and hood if you are worried about rock chips. Doesn’t cost a ton and you can get whatever color you want.
Can confirm that PPFing your bumper hood and front fenders will go a long way towards protecting against paint damage from rock chips. Worth the investment.
Appreciate 1
      07-28-2021, 09:10 PM   #8
bimmermann88
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonahk View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yas_sir View Post
Just ppf the front bumper and hood if you are worried about rock chips. Doesn't cost a ton and you can get whatever color you want.
Can confirm that PPFing your bumper hood and front fenders will go a long way towards protecting against paint damage from rock chips. Worth the investment.
Definitely doing ppf! I've know a lot of research today and if I'm doing ppf I might as well do the Ceramic Coat as well!
Appreciate 1
V-Eight791.50
      07-29-2021, 02:54 AM   #9
supralex
Private First Class
Luxembourg
Rep
Drives: Yes

I have my car ppf at 80% of the total surface and I have 2 paint chips on the doors so I would also recommend to ppf the ENTIRE doors
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2021, 08:14 AM   #10
AKTexas
Rep
Drives: Mazda 3

I've never had a car PPFed, so I was wondering — does it make a difference what color it is? Like, will it change the shine of some paints; will the frozen colors look weird with it? Also, I know that all BMW dealerships wax and treat the paint in their perhaps annoyingly priced and usually required "customer care package." If you drive it straight to the detailer with that package on there, will that cause problems for the PPF process (or ceramic coating, for that matter, though I realize that ceramic coating is for something else, not protection from flying rocks)?
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2021, 12:03 PM   #11
BigHunk
///M
Canada
Rep
Drives: X5M , iX , S1000XR

Best-only protection is PPF from rock chips.
PPF will also preserve your color, because it has UV protection.
Doors and arches also get rock chips, tires are very wide and sticky for rocks, if you have mild OCD 100% of car is the way to go.
      07-30-2021, 12:45 PM   #12
frankiebones
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Fire Orange G80 6MT

I have never PPF'd. I have never ceramic coated. I've never had visible chips even after a couple seasons of track driving. Sure, some minor chips here and there but nothing to justify the amount of mental anguish some of you seem to suffer.
Appreciate 5
TrevorM33321.50
frank70629.00
BMWM4CX281.50
      07-30-2021, 01:11 PM   #13
jonahk
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 G80 M3

Garage List
2021 BMW M3  [0.00]
2018 Porsche Macan  [0.00]
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankiebones View Post
I have never PPF'd. I have never ceramic coated. I've never had visible chips even after a couple seasons of track driving. Sure, some minor chips here and there but nothing to justify the amount of mental anguish some of you seem to suffer.
I wish I had a picture of my F87 before it was traded in. The front end PPF was WRECKED (scratched, pitted, etc) but the paint underneath was still pristine. In addition track days, I winter drove this car in MN, sat in a lot of traffic during road construction season, and did almost 10K miles in rallies as a media car. It's not mental anguish, its protecting the investment and not having to worry. I can't imagine ever owning a car without PPF any more.

HOWEVER, what PPF does not protect you from, is not properly securing the nozzle on your pressure washer and blasting it directly into your hood. That will go right through the PPF, dent the hood, pit the windshield, and yeet itself 30 feet up my driveway...
Appreciate 2
      07-30-2021, 01:26 PM   #14
Gfit
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2023 X3M, 2024 X5M. Sold 2022

Quote:
Agreed but those damn pebbles never miss my windshield
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2021, 01:51 PM   #15
frankiebones
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Fire Orange G80 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonahk View Post
I wish I had a picture of my F87 before it was traded in. The front end PPF was WRECKED (scratched, pitted, etc) but the paint underneath was still pristine. In addition track days, I winter drove this car in MN, sat in a lot of traffic during road construction season, and did almost 10K miles in rallies as a media car. It's not mental anguish, its protecting the investment and not having to worry. I can't imagine ever owning a car without PPF any more.

HOWEVER, what PPF does not protect you from, is not properly securing the nozzle on your pressure washer and blasting it directly into your hood. That will go right through the PPF, dent the hood, pit the windshield, and yeet itself 30 feet up my driveway...
I have never owned a car and never will lol.

I would buy a GT3 after my G80 to have a 6MT forever. That would be the one exception.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2021, 03:10 PM   #16
Pantagathus
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 M3 BGM

Quote:
Originally Posted by supralex View Post
I have my car ppf at 80% of the total surface and I have 2 paint chips on the doors so I would also recommend to ppf the ENTIRE doors
I also have a chip on my door. Pisses me off so much - I got the full front PPF'd thinking the door would be fine, now I've got a chip that goes right to the metal.

I'm still struggling to find somewhere to get the paint as well, I have BGM and no one (not even BMW directly) seems to have the paint available yet to touch up
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2021, 07:35 PM   #17
chris719
Major General
Rep
Drives: '08 M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmermann88 View Post
I'd not worry about chips when picking a color.
Appreciate 1
      08-03-2021, 10:34 PM   #18
TrevorM3
Banned
Rep
Drives: 6.3 AMG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantagathus View Post
I also have a chip on my door. Pisses me off so much - I got the full front PPF'd thinking the door would be fine, now I've got a chip that goes right to the metal.

I'm still struggling to find somewhere to get the paint as well, I have BGM and no one (not even BMW directly) seems to have the paint available yet to touch up

Brooklyn Grey? is that the color you are referring to?

Just go to a bodyshop, and have them mix some for you using your color code.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2021, 10:35 PM   #19
TrevorM3
Banned
Rep
Drives: 6.3 AMG

Quote:

Tell me about it. It seems everyone is overly obessesed with ppf and ceramic these days... it's a car.. it can handle a chip or two.. lol. The only paint i would consider PPF is a frozen color, because that is a pita to repaint.
Appreciate 3
frank70629.00
      08-06-2021, 10:37 AM   #20
unfoundnemo
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 i4 M50

Garage List
2022 BMW i4 M50  [0.00]
2022 BMW X7  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrevorM3 View Post
Tell me about it. It seems everyone is overly obessesed with ppf and ceramic these days... it's a car.. it can handle a chip or two.. lol. The only paint i would consider PPF is a frozen color, because that is a pita to repaint.
Same here. I'm fairly obsessive with detailing my car and don't bother with PPF or ceramic. Frozen or a weekend toy that I plan to keep long term might be the only times I might give it a thought. Otherwise, a good touch-up paint/process and a good wax and I'm good to go.
      08-06-2021, 10:39 AM   #21
Gfit
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2023 X3M, 2024 X5M. Sold 2022

Quote:
Originally Posted by unfoundnemo View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrevorM3 View Post
Same here. I'm fairly obsessive with detailing my car and don't bother with PPF or ceramic. Frozen or a weekend toy that I plan to keep long term might be the only times I might give it a thought. Otherwise, a good touch-up paint/process and a good wax and I'm good to go.
Never did it. Never will. Thousands to protect from a few chips. Not for me.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2021, 11:02 AM   #22
heavyD^2
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: X3M Competition

It's highly dependent on where you life. The water based paints chip much easier than solvent based paints of the past. In a northern climate where roads are sanded and gravelled, non-protected water based paint will get chipped and sand blasted. I have seen some late model Porsche SUV's up here peppered pretty good on the front end without PPF and maybe it's me but I don't find little primer colored dots on your front end and hood overly attractive. It's a personal decision and a matter of how long you plan on keeping the car. If you are leasing and change cars a lot probably not as big a deal to leave it unprotected. If you are one of those people that holds on to their cars and cares about resale value it's not a bad investment IMO.
Appreciate 0