03-25-2021, 12:02 AM   #111
GhostyM
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: plenty

Quote:
Originally Posted by dialogical View Post
Not sure how you can read all the points I made and miss the message: the F8x isn't for sale anymore. You cannot buy it new. The Alfa, the RS5, and the C63 are the cars the G8x competes against. Unless your point is that the whole segment is worthless, in which case why even bother coming in here?

Facts are facts: the G8x is faster than the C63 from a dig, and faster than both the C63 and the RS5 from a roll. If the Giulia isn't broken then it may put up a fight, but I seriously doubt it.
Did you not read what I wrote below the quote?

It's not about comparing it to the Alfa, AMG or RS models since even the previous gen F8x did it better than the CURRENT models that AMG/RS has to offer. The previous F8x was lighter than current competition, felt much sportier and light on its feet, had a special transmission, was pretty fast, was reliable and LOOKED good to boot.

This car does the same, except it lost the special transmission, is not good looking, more expensive and gained hundreds of pounds and all you gained is a better on track, slightly faster ///M car. Just wait until AWD G8x weight numbers come out at over 4,000+ lbs.
Appreciate 1
irunalot1518.00
      03-25-2021, 12:09 AM   #112
Nkr15
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostyM View Post
Quote:
Not sure how you can read all the points I made and miss the message: the F8x isn't for sale anymore. You cannot buy it new. The Alfa, the RS5, and the C63 are the cars the G8x competes against. Unless your point is that the whole segment is worthless, in which case why even bother coming in here?

Facts are facts: the G8x is faster than the C63 from a dig, and faster than both the C63 and the RS5 from a roll. If the Giulia isn't broken then it may put up a fight, but I seriously doubt it.
Did you not read what I wrote below the quote?

It's not about comparing it to the Alfa, AMG or RS models since even the previous gen F8x did it better than the CURRENT models that AMG/RS has to offer. The previous F8x was lighter than current competition, felt much sportier and light on its feet, had a special transmission, was pretty fast, was reliable and LOOKED good to boot.

This car does the same, except it lost the special transmission, is not good looking, more expensive and gained hundreds of pounds and all you gained is a better on track, slightly faster ///M car. Just wait until AWD G8x weight numbers come out at over 4,000+ lbs.
The only proper way to drive it is with three pedals anyway something nobody else offers right now. It can be fatter and uglier and cost $20,000 more, it's still 4 doors 3 pedals which in 2021 is good enough for me. Times change you can't compare it to a car from the 90s be happy the car is offered new, soon all you'll get is a model 3 where you flick up and down on a screen to select drive or reverse.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2021, 12:13 AM   #113
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G82 M4C X-Drive

Garage List
2022 G82 M4C X-Drive  [9.85]
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.87]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrae26 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmg View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkap27 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by WWM3 View Post
Exactly. The answer to his "why" is that the looks are controversial.
controversial to a bmw enthusiast who is well versed in brand identity and expected a refreshed F80 look imo. Polls here are not at all representative of what the general public will think. I think a large majority of people will see this car on the street and be absolutely blown away. But someone like a 911 owner will scoff at this more aggressive take when compared to their 'elegant, timeless German design' lol
The people I've come across asking me if I'm going to replace my CS with the G80 all agreed with me that it's an ugly car. I have a feeling had I said I liked the G80 they would find something positive to say about it rather than criticize it's looks. We are all pretty polite to each other's faces.

I know if I met a new G80 owner in person, I'm not going to call the car ugly despite my true opinion. That's just rude. I'll compliment the interior and how fast it is etc.

I think new owners have to come to the realization that the grill is polarizing, and there are people out there who think it's ugly. It shouldn't bother them, but at the same time, that's what people think. Embrace it. I have with my i3... people think it's ugly and that's fine. I'm not going to tell people they are wrong though, that would be delusional.
Are you keeping the CS?
No. Two F80's in a row and it's time to move on. The G80 is too big so I'm planning to go sportier. Sportier doesn't mean faster, just sportier.

2022 G82///M4 Competition X-Drive - KW-HAS, EBC Bluestuff, Millway Race Camber Plates, Cup2 Connect*, PSI High Flow Midpipe, Lightweight Front Lip, M Perf Flow Through Wing
Previous • 2018 F80 ///M3 CS • 2016 F80 ///M3
IG: Raging_G82
Appreciate 4
CanAutM321130.50
JTO245276.00
stein_325i25134.50
irunalot1518.00
      03-25-2021, 12:22 AM   #114
GhostyM
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nkr15 View Post
The only proper way to drive it is with three pedals anyway something nobody else offers right now. It can be fatter and uglier and cost $20,000 more, it's still 4 doors 3 pedals which in 2021 is good enough for me. Times change you can't compare it to a car from the 90s be happy the car is offered new, soon all you'll get is a model 3 where you flick up and down on a screen to select drive or reverse.
I'm not saying that isn't special, but that's why I'm getting a 992 GT3 to scratch that itch and more.

All I'm saying is that the F8x did it better and offered 6 speed. This G8x I'll be honest, if it just LOOKED better, I'd even consider it for a daily (as would a large amount of people more), but as it is, it's forgotten what ///M actually meant not too long ago. Porsche didn't waver. AMG is in fact EMBRACING more hardcore AMG models as years go on even (GTR Pro, Black series cars) (ignoring 4 cylinder C63 rumor obviously)

Go ahead and round me up a list of what the G8x does better than F8x for a normal run of the week consumer? I'm sure you'll come up with a HUGE list. Because it does tick those boxes. It's more comfy, it rides better, pretty fast, and is less "on-the-edge" comparatively.

But what about enthusiasts? Almost nothing other than has a Stage 1 tune from delivery day. Track driving be damned.

All I'm saying is that this is unfortunate and am sad about what they did with the M3 and M4. It's blasphemy really.
Appreciate 2
irunalot1518.00
TargaM22495.50
      03-25-2021, 12:33 AM   #115
RugbyBro
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transfer View Post
They should be comparing it to RS5, C63, Giulia, and Model 3P...not prior M3s.
While I understand what you're saying, cars will never escape comparisons to their namesake no matter what car is being discussed. Specifically with M3s, BMW built a significant portion of their M branding off the back of the M3 - hence why so many feel so strongly about it. With regard to G8X, it will likely never escape comparison with F8X simply because it is mechanically extremely similar. It is an evolution and not a revolution like E46 to E9X and E9X to F8X. As much as F8X & G8X owners want nothing to do with each other at times, we are now tied together forever... for better or for worse.

While I still don't quite fully buy into the logic that the new M2 = M3, I understand it a bit better given the G8X's perceived repositioning. Still, the M2 will likely get hand-me-down parts from the M3 (detuned engine, drivetrain, suspension, etc.) so to me, that's just a version of the M3. I personally don't see BMW going back to an angry, raw driving machine with the M2 (nothing about their latest cars suggests doing so). I think it's more likely going to be shorter wheelbase G8X; just like M2C is a shorter wheelbase F80/2.
stein_325i25134.50
      03-25-2021, 12:35 AM   #116
Nkr15
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M3

Quote:
I'm not saying that isn't special, but that's why I'm getting a 992 GT3 to scratch that itch and more.

All I'm saying is that the F8x did it better and offered 6 speed. This G8x I'll be honest, if it just LOOKED better, I'd even consider it for a daily (as would a large amount of people more), but as it is, it's forgotten what ///M actually meant not too long ago. Porsche didn't waver. AMG is in fact EMBRACING more hardcore AMG models as years go on even (GTR Pro, Black series cars) (ignoring 4 cylinder C63 rumor obviously)

Go ahead and round me up a list of what the G8x does better than F8x for a normal run of the week consumer? I'm sure you'll come up with a HUGE list. Because it does tick those boxes. It's more comfy, it rides better, pretty fast, and is less "on-the-edge" comparatively.

But what about enthusiasts? Almost nothing other than has a Stage 1 tune from delivery day. Track driving be damned.

All I'm saying is that this is unfortunate and am sad about what they did with the M3 and M4. It's blasphemy really.
It's always the same pattern, the M3/M4 are ruined! I am now going to get a 2 seater GT3 that costs 2x more and is impossible to get a brand new allocation for at MSRP without being laughed at (unless you're a vip, then just buy both cars since its chump change).It's like saying the WRX STI is a bad car compared to an M3, why doesn't subaru care about enthusiasts like ///M?
Appreciate 3
Jmpascual687.50
JTO245276.00
heavyD^23688.50
      03-25-2021, 12:43 AM   #117
M6-Coupe
Major General
Rep
Drives: F92 M8

No matter what people says this is new M3 with lots of new technologies and more power better handling , better grip and nicer sound. The E and F series are already dated and people has to accept this is new generation of M3/M4. Now if you guys are track lovers and spend most of your life in track, then go for M2 comp or cs or F80/F82 comp with smaller body otherwise you can enjoy new buddy...
I recently sold my F80 M3 and if didnt have option to get M8 ( to remind me M6 days) , G82 was my new ride right now!!!

P.s: If you think car is ugly because of grill, go for black exterior then grill looks much better...
Gone : 2013 F13 Sakhir Orange M6 -7DCT
Gone: 2013 F13 Alpine White 650i -ZF8
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2021, 12:51 AM   #118
scoale
Captain
Rep
Drives: M3 /M2C/540

Garage List
2018 BMW M3  [0.00]
2021 BMW M2  [10.00]
2018 BMW 540  [0.00]
2013 Porsche Boxster S  [0.00]
2013 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SickGTR View Post
Does anyone else get a Mustang vibe from that side view? Or am I nuts?
No, I see resemblance too. Probably more interesting to me is that I would not recognize it for a BMW if you removed the badge. I don't think anyone would have previously recognized this for a BMW....and I don't say that to knock it.

There is a good article in this months R&T about the design risks BMW is currently taking and why.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2021, 01:08 AM   #119
GhostyM
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
It's always the same pattern, the M3/M4 are ruined! I am now going to get a 2 seater GT3 that costs 2x more and is impossible to get a brand new allocation for at MSRP without being laughed at (unless you're a vip, then just buy both cars since its chump change).It's like saying the WRX STI is a bad car compared to an M3, why doesn't subaru care about enthusiasts like ///M?
Well, I won't get both cars because I don't LIKE the G8x M3/M4.
It's not the same pattern, this is definitely the most polarizing M to ever come out of BMW M and it's not a good kind of polarizing. They still make Caymans/911's in manual. For a manual car 4 door daily driver, you are stuck with the G8x (for now anyway). It's just unfortunate it has to look the way it does.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2021, 01:22 AM   #120
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.87]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
It's not the same pattern, this is definitely the most polarizing M to ever come out of BMW M and it's not a good kind of polarizing. They still make Caymans/911's in manual. For a manual car 4 door daily driver, you are stuck with the G8x (for now anyway). It's just unfortunate it has to look the way it does.
Agreed. It's not the same pattern. This is the first generation of M3 that I don't immediately desire. Every generation was a departure, yes, they got bigger, yes. I'd say even the F8X was too big for me. It's saving grace that it was lighter than the E90 with much more power than torque throughout the rev range. I can only say one of those things is true comparing the G80 to the F80.

2022 G82///M4 Competition X-Drive - KW-HAS, EBC Bluestuff, Millway Race Camber Plates, Cup2 Connect*, PSI High Flow Midpipe, Lightweight Front Lip, M Perf Flow Through Wing
Appreciate 3
JustChris17550.50
CanAutM321130.50
irunalot1518.00
      03-25-2021, 01:44 AM   #121
FSHNGRY
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: INDIVIDUAL F90 M5C LCI

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankiebones View Post
Why is it that my friend who owns one has been mobbed every time he goes out with the car by people who love it? He gets thumbs up, he gets horn honks and then thumbs up, he gets compliments at gas stations, etc. and these are New Yorkers who don't say anything nice to anyone.

Confirmation bias. That's why.
Because it is the new M3/4. Guys love this car. We know this
GONE: '05 E46 ZHP | LOADED | DINAN STG3 PKG |

IG: @FSHNGRY
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2021, 01:47 AM   #122
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.87]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Not a very favorable review for the G84 but they're looking at it through an E92 and F82 lens. This is not those cars! People need to let go that the M3 is dead, long live the new M3. Wait for G87 M2 if a smaller car is desired. They also butcher the price specs at the end. Not sure if those option prices were given to them by BMW or what but multiple misquoted prices and options and that is a fully overloaded $100k car with all the junk included.
They don't necessarily like the new M3. That's the point.
That's because they want an E46 with all the modern cool shit and moar powah. This isn't that car. I mean good grief they complained about having more elbow room! Seriously?

They should be comparing it to RS5, C63, Giulia, and Model 3P...not prior M3s. This is basically a new model compared to the historic M3 badge and the M2 is the new M3. Grumpsters will grump about this and that compared to history but the context has shifted.
If it has the same badge, it's going to be compared. That's just how it is. If the M3 suddenly became an SUV don't you think a polarized reaction is valid? Can you still say "it's a new model"? You can, but it's doesn't really mean anything. Everything new is going to be compared to what came before it.

Comparing it to an RS5, C63, Guilia etc is like saying the car doesn't have to be better, it just has to be better than the others. The reality is that the RS5 and C63 are street cars and the M3 is traditionally a trackable street car. Hence you don't see as many of the others vs the M3 on the track for various reasons, one of them largely being that they are heavy compared to the F80. The Guilia is too busy being repaired to make it to high performance driving events. (Lol)

In the past the M3's competitors in the market had either more power, AWD, bigger engines and the faster 0-60 times to match. Go to the track today where these cars are truly driven at the limit and you don't see the older B5/B6/B7 S4/RS4, early C class AMG's, or whatever other cars in the M3's class still on the track. I still regularly see E36, E46, E9X, M3's despite having slower 0-60 times or less power than those "others". Why? Because the standards that the M3 traditionally tries to meet are not limited by the "others".

Merely competing with lesser vehicles is a goal for underachievers.

You say the G80 shouldn't be compared to it's predecessors, yet it's the legacy of its predecessors that makes the M badge mean anything at all. You want to compare it to the RS5 and the C63? Does anyone look back fondly on the older RS5 models? Does the C63 have as passionate a following as the E90 or even F80? They come and go and they catch everyone's attention for a moment, but then they become obsolete because Audi and Mercedes want to impress with shiny new features, tech, and glitzy interiors. Those are fleeting forgettable disposable cars. Not much of a benchmark for the G80, but maybe that's just what the next generation of car "enthusiasts" want.

Appreciate 13
Mavus2038.50
CanAutM321130.50
trey1001125.00
AndrewC198910942.50
stein_325i25134.50
MDuckie96.00
M-Pilot4861.50
WWM3986.00
irunalot1518.00
RowanBuds1708.00
      03-25-2021, 03:11 AM   #123
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

As they say 'Ewwwww you live once'

03-25-2021, 03:15 AM   #124
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Agreed. It's not the same pattern. This is the first generation of M3 that I don't immediately desire. Every generation was a departure, yes, they got bigger, yes. I'd say even the F8X was too big for me. It's saving grace that it was lighter than the E90 with much more power than torque throughout the rev range. I can only say one of those things is true comparing the G80 to the F80.
Bingo same.

- First M3 I've not been excited for
- First M3 I've not stayed up for the launch reviews.
- First M3 I've not been to see at the dealers 7miles from my house.

Preview owner of F82, F87 and F80 'last gen.'

I appreciate I'm a dinosaur and BMW no longer wants my coin fair play. Good luck to everyone with the new car, it's a performance monster and enjoy in good health. Have fun with your own choices everyone.
CanAutM321130.50
Jimjamz4599.50
stein_325i25134.50
irunalot1518.00
TargaM22495.50
      03-25-2021, 04:58 AM   #125
naywa01
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 DCT Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by myfirstm View Post
My friend has a regular black 4 series and says the same thing about people checking the car out all the time. People are naturally adverse to change and BMW went all out with the changing the grill. Most are just not used to it yet.
I agree, remember all the fuss with the E60 5 series, now its considered a classic. Granted we'll never get back to E39 or E46 classical design, but those days are gone for all manufacturers.

I finally got to see my first 4-er at my local dealer a few weeks back (things seem to be really slow here in the UK unless you have a YT channel!), I thought it actually looked pretty good and liked it.

Like all new models, as much as I like my F82, its been instantly made to look a bit dated by the arrival of the G82.

As they always say, beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but similar to other comments above I'm also getting a bit fed up with reviews TELLLING me that it looks bad - as though its a non-negotiable fact...
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2021, 05:32 AM   #126
edwinm3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82

Quote:
Originally Posted by SickGTR View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIMMERTOWN View Post
The Smoking Tire youtube channel absolutely trashed the G82 aesthetics for its ugly nose. As a previous F80 and and F90 owner, I must admit the grill takes some getting use to. Is this car an ugly duckling or a diamond in the rough? Curious what the forum thinks?!?!

Does anyone else get a Mustang vibe from that side view? Or am I nuts?
Shelby is a nice looking car

Grigio Telesto M4, 6MT.
Coyote 5.0 F-150
991 GT3
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2021, 05:34 AM   #127
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
Quote:
It's not misinformation. That car isn't available yet.

Remember the Giulia QV that was supposed to have a manual?

I will count the blackwing when it's commercially available, and until then my statement is 100% accurate.
BMW was without a manual high performance sedan offering in its lineup for the last 2.5 years. It is only a question of timing.

The Giulia Q is available with a manual in Europe. Its funny why they do not offer it in the US where manuals are the most popular.

Previous cars: M4cs 2019 F82 Limerock Grey / M4 2015 F82 Silverstone / M3 2008 E92 Silverstone / M3 2002 E46 Carbon Black
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2021, 05:35 AM   #128
soniczoom5
S65 FTW!!!
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 BMW M3 Silverstone

Garage List
2014 Mercedes  [0.00]
2020 X5 M50i  [0.00]
cant stand the lawnmower noise..........
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2021, 05:44 AM   #129
Hulk Smash
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Power16 View Post
Now this is purely my subjective opinion but the sedan looks better than the coupe with the exception of the E36 and E92. Better lines, more pronounced fenders, wider stance, more practicality, better proportions, same performance. I've seen both G's in person and the gap has widened for me. If I'm going that big, I might as well get an 8 series otherwise I want 4 doors.
I had the same thought. I actually really like the M8's styling and every time I see one on the road I admire its presence. If in the future I get tried of my M2CS and want to move to a big GT car, I'd go M8 coupe.
Appreciate 1
JTO245276.00
      03-25-2021, 06:15 AM   #130
trey100
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 Competition

M4 seems too big for white. Maybe in person it would be nicer but being a larger car and having a more extensive color palette this time around, get a color!
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2021, 07:57 AM   #131
thaalrasha
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G81

Reading this forum is see that people disappointed wanted a new M3. People that likes it wanted a good car but also admit that it's no longer an M3 in spirit. XD

Seems to me then that the G80/82 are a great new M cars but no longer really fit as an M3 in soul and more like a baby M5 (less personality, but more capable)
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2021, 08:10 AM   #132
heavyD^2
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: X3M Competition

Chris Harris: Why are people beating up on the BMW M3?

Man you all have short memories. It's hilarious how many people seem to forget that the F8x received poorer initial reviews than the G8x. Chris Harris even had to come to its defense;

https://www.goodwood.com/grr/road/th...on-the-bmw-m3/

Quote:
But the M3 appears to be stuck in something of a rose-tinted-rut, and the F80 version is now being quite heavily panned in the UK specialist press (I think it’s a brilliant package), so we’d best start from the beginning and try to de-bunk some of the myths.
As with the F8x in time we will grow to appreciate the G8x as it's already off to a better start than the F80 as far as initial reviews go.
Appreciate 4
EXE462101.50
Sjokosaus199.50
chicagofan0019275.00
Nkr151124.50