BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics BMW M3 (G80), M4 (G82), CSL and 3.0 CSL General Forum

04-26-2022, 10:58 AM   #89
androidtopp
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 Focus ST, 2022 M3Cx

Garage List
2013 Ford Focus  [0.00]
2022 BMW M3  [0.00]
Question is, do the initial releases of it (for me at least) show it as standard? Mine was a very early 22 xDrive build, so I would think the 6/24 revision noted on page 2 would have applied my car? Maybe?
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2022, 10:19 PM   #90
r32e90
Private
Rep
Drives: E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by androidtopp View Post
Question is, do the initial releases of it (for me at least) show it as standard? Mine was a very early 22 xDrive build, so I would think the 6/24 revision noted on page 2 would have applied my car? Maybe?
Thanks for posting the most current ordering guide. Not sure what to make of it it does show Change notes but all that is stated is re-release With the one exception being the 50 years emblem change.
So basically does the support the theory that the active safety should be a standard feature and always has been on the M3?

Talked to the dealer today. The only recourse they would offer is to order a new one. And as everybody in this forum knows it would be approximately one year away. And I guess my ultimate question is how do I know what features will be missing on the re-ordered car? What are the current parts shortages?
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2022, 10:37 PM   #91
m.dreamin
///M
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M4 Competition xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Limegrntaln View Post
22 xDrive M4 Comp. Built 24 August 21. Standard seats. My car does this. Back out of the driveway, put it in drive, roll 10-20 feet forward, seatbelt pulls you back in the seat, fairly aggressively. Enough for passengers to ask me, "what the hell was that?"
Am I crazy for liking this feature? It's like an anthropomorphic hug. The car is like "hey, I got you". My wife as well doesn't mind it, so that's good. I took a neighbor for a drive and when he felt it, he remarked "Oh, ok, the car is telling me to sit back and experience this!"
      04-26-2022, 11:05 PM   #92
lemetier
Plenipotentiary
Rep
Drives: Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjx View Post
Since cars in the same generation and even the same model year have/had the feature, they could retrofit it if they wanted to.
Federal Law prohibits Manufacturers, their distributors, dealers, and authorized agents from modifying or altering Passenger Vehicle Airbags and SRS components after delivery (initial registration).
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2022, 11:21 PM   #93
kjx
///M ♥ Recycled Dinosaurs
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M4, BMW X5 45e

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemetier View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjx View Post
Since cars in the same generation and even the same model year have/had the feature, they could retrofit it if they wanted to.
Federal Law prohibits Manufacturers, their distributors, dealers, and authorized agents from modifying or altering Passenger Vehicle Airbags and SRS components after delivery (initial registration).
I don't think that is what the law says based on this excerpt from the NHTSA:

"After the first retail purchase of a vehicle, a provision in Federal law that affects a vehicle's continuing compliance with an applicable safety standard is the "render inoperative" provision of the Safety Act which provides that:

No manufacturer, distributor, dealer, or motor vehicle repair business shall knowingly render inoperative, in whole or in part, any device or element of design installed on or in a motor vehicle ... in compliance with an applicable Federal motor vehicle safety standard.

In the case of a vehicle equipped with air bags pursuant to Standard No. 208, this section would prohibit any manufacturer, distributor, dealer, or repair business from removing, disabling, or otherwise "rendering inoperative" the air bags."

Retrofitting what is being discussed here should not affect anything either in the spirit or the letter of the law. Granted I've not read much further than what I've quoted, so there could be a better, more relevant excerpt supporting what you stated.

Also based on what you've stated, if there weren't exceptions written into the law (which would also be interesting to read), fixing things like defective airbags (Takata) or faulty seatbelt mechanisms could be illegal in one interpretation.
      04-27-2022, 03:49 PM   #94
TJR_///M3
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3C 2021 X3M40i

My 2022 G80 M3Comp had a production date of 7/26/2021.

S5AL is not listed in the VIN decode, but S5AV - Active Guard is and appears from a Google search to be effectively the same thing (can anyone confirm?)

From the Owner's Manual:
Active Protection
Function
When the safety belt is fastened, the driver's and front passenger's belt straps are automatically tightened once after driving away

I've been driving my wife's 2021 X3 M40i and it definitely 'hugs'. I think my G80 does too, but am not trusting my own memory! I will update this post if it doesn't when I drive it next week.
      04-27-2022, 04:21 PM   #95
LukeM15
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3 G80 Comp Xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJR_M3 View Post

S5AL is not listed in the VIN decode, but S5AV - Active Guard is and appears from a Google search to be effectively the same thing (can anyone confirm?)

From the Owner's Manual:
Active Protection
Function
When the safety belt is fastened, the driver's and front passenger's belt straps are automatically tightened once after driving away

I've been driving my wife's 2021 X3 M40i and it definitely 'hugs'. I think my G80 does too, but am not trusting my own memory! I will update this post if it doesn't when I drive it next week.
Same with mines. I have the same S5AV-Active Guard. 22’ M3 I have it.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2022, 05:05 PM   #96
lemetier
Plenipotentiary
Rep

[QUOTE=kjx;28841576]
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemetier View Post
I don't think that is what the law says based on this excerpt from the NHTSA:

"After the first retail purchase of a vehicle, a provision in Federal law that affects a vehicle's continuing compliance with an applicable safety standard is the "render inoperative" provision of the Safety Act which provides that:

No manufacturer, distributor, dealer, or motor vehicle repair business shall knowingly render inoperative, in whole or in part, any device or element of design installed on or in a motor vehicle ... in compliance with an applicable Federal motor vehicle safety standard.

In the case of a vehicle equipped with air bags pursuant to Standard No. 208, this section would prohibit any manufacturer, distributor, dealer, or repair business from removing, disabling, or otherwise "rendering inoperative" the air bags."

Retrofitting what is being discussed here should not affect anything either in the spirit or the letter of the law. Granted I've not read much further than what I've quoted, so there could be a better, more relevant excerpt supporting what you stated.

Also based on what you've stated, if there weren't exceptions written into the law (which would also be interesting to read), fixing things like defective airbags (Takata) or faulty seatbelt mechanisms could be illegal in one interpretation.
Yes there is more not only from FMVSS 208, but also other relevant standards under which 208 addresses.
That excerpt does have the most important phrase included however; "vehicle's continuing compliance". Maintenance, repair, replacement, and even recalls are specifically addressed. One key point is that for a replacement component it must be like for like (fitness of purpose), and the assembly, fittings, attachment, and positioning cannot deviate from the type it replaces. The standard belt and the REMA belt do not share the same assembly and the attachment is different (image attached). The inverse is also true. It would be prohibited to replace a REMA Belt with a Standard belt.

It would be no different as switching an installed dual-stage airbag with a single stage. As you said, spirit of the law. This is not exclusive to the US either and applies to every jurisdiction that is a party to the 1998 UN GTR agreement.

I am intimately aware of several cases where 5AL - Active Protection was missing, not discovered until after delivery, and retrofit was sought as a solution; this includes 2 instances where it was an additional charge and not adjusted. The response was and will be it cannot be accommodated.

With that said, a DIY retrofit is theoretically possible as far as legality is concerned if the owner holds title freely and no technical assistance from BMW is required.

Quote:

From the Owner's Manual:
Active Protection
Function

Active Guard is different (Forward Collision warning with Daytime Pedestrian Detection and AEB).
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-28-2022, 08:39 AM   #97
TJR_///M3
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I've tracked my vehicle spec back to order placement (see pic) and it never showed 5AL, although curiously it didn't show 5AV either, but that is in the VIN decode and is on the window sticker.

Other than the seat belt 'hug', do we know what else is in 5AL?
Reading the manual, it defines the following (including the 'hug') and note the blue highlight:

General information
Depending on the equipment and national-market version, Active Protection consists of various PreCrash functions.
The system is used to detect certain critical driving situations that might lead to an accident. This includes the following critical driving situations:
▷ Emergency stop.
▷ Severe understeering.
▷ Severe oversteering.

Function
When the safety belt is fastened, the driver's and front passenger's belt straps are automatically tightened once after driving away.
In accident-critical situations, the following individual functions become active as needed:
▷ Automatic pretensioning of the front safety belts.
▷ Automatic window closing up to a narrow gap.
▷ Automatic closing of the glass sunroof, in‐ cluding sun protection.
▷ For vehicles equipped with comfort seats in the front: automatic positioning of the back‐ rest for the front passenger seat.

Hopefully I never find out if it has pre-tensioning in an accident situation but based on the previous post from 'lemetier' showing the 'standard' configuration I assume it does (and as the air bag performance would have been certified with it, I can't imagine the car could be built without it).

Not certain, but reading through the thread, it would seem the 'hug' was deleted from G80 (or at least some build configurations of it) for 22MY
Attached Images

04-28-2022, 09:00 AM   #98
modat
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 IOMG M3 Xdrive

My 21 g80 had it. My 22 g80 does not
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2022, 03:37 PM   #99
BIGW0RM
You got my money?
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Ice Cream Truck

Garage List
2022 BMW M3  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by modat View Post
My 21 g80 had it. My 22 g80 does not
Same.
      04-28-2022, 07:11 PM   #100
lemetier
Plenipotentiary
Rep

Quote:
I've tracked my vehicle spec back to order placement (see pic) and it never showed 5AL, although curiously it didn't show 5AV either, but that is in the VIN decode and is on the window sticker.

Other than the seat belt 'hug', do we know what else is in 5AL?
Reading the manual, it defines the following (including the 'hug') and note the blue highlight:

General information
[COLOR="Blue"]Depending on the equipment and national-market version[/COLOR], Active Protection consists of various PreCrash functions.
The system is used to detect certain critical driving situations that might lead to an accident. This includes the following critical driving situations:
▷ Emergency stop.
▷ Severe understeering.
▷ Severe oversteering.

Function
When the safety belt is fastened, the driver's and front passenger's belt straps are automatically tightened once after driving away.
In accident-critical situations, the following individual functions become active as needed:
▷ Automatic pretensioning of the front safety belts.
▷ Automatic window closing up to a narrow gap.
▷ Automatic closing of the glass sunroof, in‐ cluding sun protection.
▷ For vehicles equipped with comfort seats in the front: automatic positioning of the back‐ rest for the front passenger seat.

Hopefully I never find out if it has pre-tensioning in an accident situation but based on the previous post from 'lemetier' showing the 'standard' configuration I assume it does (and as the air bag performance would have been certified with it, I can't imagine the car could be built without it).

Not certain, but reading through the thread, it would seem the 'hug' was deleted from G80 (or at least some build configurations of it) for 22MY
The standard belt does have have a Pretensioner (squib) with Linear Mechanical Belt Force Limiter. The REMA (Reversible Electro-Motor Actuator) Belt has what's sometimes called a Pre-Pretensioner and Adaptive Belt Force Limiter. The Pre-Pretensioner activates before a "potential crash" to remove any belt slack and pull the occupant snug into the seat and releases if no crash occurs.

Some of the other functions outlined in the various descriptions of Active Protection should still be active. Oddly enough, a popular "coding change" for previous Gen M Cars actually disables some of these functions.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2022, 07:44 PM   #101
BLKSAPPE92
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 22 G80 Sao Paulo Yellow

Garage List
2022 BMW M3  [0.00]
2022 BMW M3  [0.00]
2022 BMW M3  [0.00]
2022 BMW M3  [0.00]
I do not notice this either on my 22 g80 I have the carbon buckets. So my sitting position seems to be more upright without a lot of leaning forward to reach anything.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2022, 10:21 PM   #102
r32e90
Private
Rep
Drives: E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLKSAPPE92 View Post
I do not notice this either on my 22 g80 I have the carbon buckets. So my sitting position seems to be more upright without a lot of leaning forward to reach anything.
Just a quick update. I took the car in on Saturday and had the shop foreman looked at it. He was able to verify that the feature was not installed. The hardware is missing and it seems as though BMW just left out the standard feature on the M3.
I also have a call into BMW customer relations my case has been escalated twice and I hope to hear back from them Monday.
Appreciate 4
BMWM4CX281.50
kjx3212.50
Poochie9107.50
      07-09-2022, 07:41 AM   #103
AventurinG26
Rep
Drives: BMW M440i Gran Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by r32e90 View Post
Just a quick update. I took the car in on Saturday and had the shop foreman looked at it. He was able to verify that the feature was not installed. The hardware is missing and it seems as though BMW just left out the standard feature on the M3.
I also have a call into BMW customer relations my case has been escalated twice and I hope to hear back from them Monday.
Did you ever get anywhere with this? My G26 M440i is also missing 5AL. It was built 1/22. Really weird because other 3/4/i4 I’ve driven built around same time have had the seatbelt tug.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2022, 09:53 AM   #104
MassComp
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche Macan GTS

"5AL Active Protection, N/C" is listed on my 2023 M3 Comp xDrive build sheet with the standard M Sport seats....

Name:  IMG_0205.jpg
Views: 171
Size:  378.2 KB
3/19/22: Deposit placed on MY2023 Skyscraper Grey M3 Comp xDrive / 6/08/22: Dealer order placed - Status 047 / 6/25/22: Added Full Leather / 8/05/22: Received Allocation & Added Personal eSIM 5G / 09/18/22: Asked Dealership to Add M Drive Professional to My Build and They Canceled My Order

Last edited by MassComp; 07-09-2022 at 10:05 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2022, 09:54 AM   #105
madpistol
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M440i GC

My '21 M340i had "the hug", while my '22 M440i GC does not.

Last edited by madpistol; 07-09-2022 at 10:52 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2022, 10:51 AM   #106
TJR_///M3
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I realized I never did update my earlier post. My 22MY G80 M3 Comp with carbon buckets does not 'hug'.