BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics BMW M3 (G80), M4 (G82), CSL and 3.0 CSL General Forum

01-26-2022, 03:08 PM   #111
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndroidRobot View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorp!on View Post
I totally get what you mean....I drove the xdrive M3 of a friend of mine, the ZF is a let down (in my opinion). not close comparable to DCT, altough I like that it's pretty smooth the ZF.

What I want to say:
Alfa also is capable of giving some drama to the ZF, why is BMW not capable ?
Of course it's never going to be a DCT, but still...give me some goddamn drama i want to feel i'm sitting in an M car.

That's why I have plenty of fun with the MT, altough the power difference is immense and you feel it but it still gives fun and engagement.
I agree, Alfa knows how to create drama from the ZF8, BMW certainly could do the same if they wanted to. The G8X doesn't have the same ///M car feel of years prior in that sense. I still love mine but I feel very let down by the transmission. I held off commenting on this issue for a while to be sure it was an issue and to give the car a chance to get get some miles on it.

The deal with my GTS fell through, they pulled back their offer to $100K on my M3. I said that's fine, there are more cars out there and I have plenty of time to find another one. I will keep everyone updated as to how things progress and if BMW NA decides to ever address this issue while I have the car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by superbrew View Post
There does seem to be some latency in the paddle click to the actual shift. The first 4-5 shift seems slow as well, the others seem quick enough. I think the issue here is that latency, not the actual transmission shift time.
I have both an X3M40 and an M3x, and the M3x is noticeably more snappy than the X3. Not DCT snappy, but seems to be better than what you posted.

Good luck getting this sorted.
It could be my car, but it's hard to say. The issue occurs only when using the gear lever or paddles in "Sequential mode" (S3) ie when it won't upshift for you. There's a chance the engine and transmission are culprits but the only want to know is by doing a deep dive into their software which is not my expertise.
If you can test drive another g8x m to compare to yours. At the moment it's really hard to say if you just don't like the tuning of the platform or your car has an issue.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2022, 04:36 PM   #112
Patton250
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW X3,M5,Turbo S

Quote:
Originally Posted by DK__LA View Post
Sometimes it's not about speed and many people don't get that.

Most of us are looking to the ///M division to create a car with soul , passion & "drama" which translates into an euphoric driving experience.

My 22' model S is a rocket and I take off into space every time I launch it , but it's still a soulless POS lol

Just a great safe family car with all the tech you could want , and that's exactly why I bought it.

I ordered an M3 for obviously all the different reasons.
I think you misunderstood my point. The 0 to 60 time was just one pro of owning this AWD car. I want all the other things you talked about also and this car provides those at least for me it does.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2022, 06:04 PM   #113
kjx
///M ♥ Recycled Dinosaurs
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M4, BMW X5 45e

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndroidRobot View Post
It's a bit hard to see in these, but below the buttons it bulges outward, same goes for under the center spoke
I had my break-in service today. As you know I also had the center spoke issue. They found it to be badly routed cabling for the steering wheel heater and steering wheel vibration functions. They fixed what they did incorrectly at the factory, and didn't move towards replacing the wheel.
      01-26-2022, 06:08 PM   #114
GGG333
m
United_States
Rep
Drives: M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patton250 View Post
Quote:
Sometimes it's not about speed and many people don't get that.

Most of us are looking to the ///M division to create a car with soul , passion & "drama" which translates into an euphoric driving experience.

My 22' model S is a rocket and I take off into space every time I launch it , but it's still a soulless POS lol

Just a great safe family car with all the tech you could want , and that's exactly why I bought it.

I ordered an M3 for obviously all the different reasons.
I think you misunderstood my point. The 0 to 60 time was just one pro of owning this AWD car. I want all the other things you talked about also and this car provides those at least for me it does.
I hope you were right in the earlier posts and I'll be pleasantly surprised once I take delivery

I am hopeful BM3 will release something juicy for the transmission , because i'd be a liar if I said I loved the DCT out of the box , which I didn't up until I programmed the DCT to GTS software and only then I was finally happy with it.
Appreciate 1
Patton2502939.50
      01-26-2022, 06:17 PM   #115
moproblems
Beware of cheap bait!
Rep
Drives: 2021 M4 Isle of Man Green

That looks like all paddle delay to me, not anything to do with the transmission. Have you had paddle shifted tc autos before? Most I have driven are like that.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2022, 06:52 PM   #116
Patton250
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW X3,M5,Turbo S

Quote:
I hope you were right in the earlier posts and I'll be pleasantly surprised once I take delivery

I am hopeful BM3 will release something juicy for the transmission , because i'd be a liar if I said I loved the DCT out of the box , which I didn't up until I programmed the DCT to GTS software and only then I was finally happy with it.
There’s no way you won’t be happy with this car. Unless of course you hate going fast. Then you will definitely dislike this car. I said it before and I’ll say it again I like DCT but only for about 15 minutes on a joyride. After that it’s harsh and gets old. Why anyone would want that full time besides with a race car is beyond me but to each his own.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2022, 12:39 PM   #117
kjx
///M ♥ Recycled Dinosaurs
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M4, BMW X5 45e

Garage List
So I've now noticed this for sure in Comfort/Efficient mode at lower speeds. It's tap paddle, wait.. wait.., Shift. I'm pretty sure it takes nearly a full second from the tap to the end of the shift. Most of the delay seems to be before it decides to start the shift. Which is very weird because it seems like an artificial delay in software. I almost never drive in Comfort except during early warm up and end of drive cool down.

It's not noticeable in Sport or Sport Plus as much.

I do however habitually get into the right gear at the right rpm when I anticipate an space opening up to push ahead of traffic, so I'm never bothered there. The low rpm torque is a bit meh. I think this is where the first hybrid M cars will shine (again going from real world experience in an X5 45e).
      01-28-2022, 12:48 PM   #118
moproblems
Beware of cheap bait!
Rep
Drives: 2021 M4 Isle of Man Green

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjx View Post
So I've now noticed this for sure in Comfort/Efficient mode at lower speeds. It's tap paddle, wait.. wait.., Shift. I'm pretty sure it takes nearly a full second from the tap to the end of the shift. Most of the delay seems to be before it decides to start the shift. Which is very weird because it seems like an artificial delay in software. I almost never drive in Comfort except during early warm up and end of drive cool down.

It's not noticeable in Sport or Sport Plus as much.

I do however habitually get into the right gear at the right rpm when I anticipate an space opening up to push ahead of traffic, so I'm never bothered there. The low rpm torque is a bit meh. I think this is where the first hybrid M cars will shine (again going from real world experience in an X5 45e).
A lot of cars have paddle delay coded into shift aggression settings. Makes you think that the trans programming changes from normal to sport are actually doing something.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2022, 04:45 PM   #119
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
Originally Posted by moproblems View Post
That looks like all paddle delay to me, not anything to do with the transmission. Have you had paddle shifted tc autos before? Most I have driven are like that.
To the user is the same issue though. Time delay between user input and result. If it's the transmission shift speed or the computer that communicates with the transmission the result is delayed response to user input. A transmission that shifts in 1ms but with 5 second delay between the paddle press and the trans doing anything still feels awful and slow.
Appreciate 1
Spiffx448.00
      05-17-2022, 12:29 PM   #120
mthreesixty3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 911 Carrera (991.2)

Did OP ever figure out what was wrong!?

I noticed this in the M3 I test drove as well!
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2022, 02:00 PM   #121
Trojan4evr
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2021 G80 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mthreesixty3 View Post

I think he sold it and got a GT4.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2022, 02:43 PM   #122
AndroidRobot
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Porsche Boxster GTS

Garage List
  [0.00]
2022 Porsche Boxste ...  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mthreesixty3 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan4evr View Post
I think he sold it and got a GT4.
I traded it in for a 2022 Boxster GTS. BMW never admitted to there being an issue. When I met their engineer he did say it was slow but that was "as designed". I firmly believe the M3/4 CS and M4 CSL will use the same transmission but it'll be more responsive. Only time will tell of course.

I haven't looked back since I bought my GTS, love the car, it's a riot. I have a 2023 Spyder on order for European Delivery next year, I'm really excited for that one too! Hard to go back once you have such an agile, quick shifting go kart.
2018 BMW M2 Mineral Grey(SOLD)
2019 BMW X5 50i Carbon Black/Tartufo (SOLD)
Appreciate 5
kayt69569.50
Spiffx448.00
PLF693766.00
somer962.50
      11-23-2023, 10:33 AM   #123
Matenza
Enlisted Member
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 Comp xDrive (g80)

I bought an m3 about 2 months ago. Have done 600 miles. The car has about 10000 miles. I’ve been hearing some drivetrain noises when shifting from P to R or D. Is anybody else experiencing this too? Is it a “feature” or a “bug”?

Thanks for the advice.

The Video with the noise:
https://youtu.be/nydjPmsLFd0
Appreciate 0