BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics BMW M3 (G80), M4 (G82), CSL and 3.0 CSL General Forum

01-03-2024, 08:05 PM   #1
turbojg
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 G82 M4 Comp. X-Drive

M Drivers Package

Has anyone here purchased the M Drivers Package and if so what was your experience.

I purchased that package and took delivery of my M4 just over 3 months ago. Over the New Years holiday I decided to dive into starting to make arrangements to attend the SC Performance Center this spring (I live in PA) and to schedule flights for myself and my wife.

My first surprise came when I started to look for openings in their online calendar. I expected classes would be held 5 days a week (and maybe Saturdays) in both SC and CA. Not so! It looked like each location had one or maybe two classes a month. I did find a date in the late spring that had openings and would work but it would have to be in CA (across the country from me) as SC was all booked up to where the scheduling ended in mid summer.

I decided to call the performance center and verify the availability of the date and was told that they couldn't help me until I gave them my "voucher number". So I progressed to check all of my emails from the dealership and BMW. As I suspected no voucher number to be found. They then directed me to the dealer. Upon calling them I was told that they knew nothing about it and that I needed to call BMW USA. Called them and got the same response from them. They knew nothing abouta a "voucher number" and said I needed to call the dealership and talk to the sales manager.

Got to talk with the sales manager and the same story again, he said he would have to try to get in touch with someone who is in the know about such things. That was yesterday and still heard nothing.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2024, 08:08 PM   #2
nordmanmg
M Town
Rep
Drives: 2021 M5c, 2024 M3cs

You should be able to retrieve your spot by using your vin number
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2024, 09:38 PM   #3
turbojg
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I told the lady at the performance center that I had the VIN number and she said she needed the voucher number. Apparently that is the only way she has access to any information and that it is needed to make the reservation.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2024, 09:42 PM   #4
Ckone2030
Rep
Drives: BMW M3, Acura Integra Type S

I just took delivery of a 2024 M3 Competition with the Driver Package as well. I asked the sales person in the dealership about the process and he said that a package will be sent within 1 - 2 months that will provide the information on how to reserve a spot at the Performance Center. Of course I have not received the package yet but did you receive any package from BMW USA?
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2024, 12:02 AM   #5
kjx
///M ♥ Recycled Dinosaurs
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M4, BMW X5 45e

Garage List
Most people skip this package, but reading posts like this from people who did get it makes it even less appealing unless the extra top speed strongly fits into the projected use case for the owner.
wavyyyy1045.50
      01-04-2024, 05:42 AM   #6
turbojg
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ckone2030 View Post
I just took delivery of a 2024 M3 Competition with the Driver Package as well. I asked the sales person in the dealership about the process and he said that a package will be sent within 1 - 2 months that will provide the information on how to reserve a spot at the Performance Center. Of course I have not received the package yet but did you receive any package from BMW USA?
I am really disappointed in BMW in this regard and plan on letting them know in the satisfaction survey I received. (glad I held off on filling it out). What in the world takes 1-2 months to process? The girl from the performance center said I should have seen the email with the info package and voucher in 1 - 2 months but they have had quite a few days off so maybe it was delayed.

I save all emails that have anything to do with the car and looked through all of them and I did not receive it despite numerous other emails from the dealer and BMW USA. I certainly got the satisfaction survey without a problem.

If I have to wait till next fall to get to take the class I won't want/need it by then. The idea was to understand the capabilities of the car on a track and not on the road where I could end up against a tree or guard rail. I bought the car to drive it agressively and waiting the break-in period was hard enough I don't want to loose the whole summer. It's crazy that everyone, including BMW USA is so oblivious to anything to do with this package.

In addition... is there that little interest in these driving classes that they are only held once a month?

Last edited by turbojg; 01-04-2024 at 06:15 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2024, 05:51 AM   #7
turbojg
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjx View Post
...it makes it even less appealing unless the extra top speed strongly fits into the projected use case for the owner.
That's funny because I never thought I would ever have the nerve to take the car to 155 MPH let alone 180 MPH I bought the package primarily for the driving school to get to understand better how the car handles in a safer environment and secondly in case I sold the car outright as a selling feature, However while on an open stretch of highway one day I got on the gas a little and when I looked down at the speedometer I was doing 120 MPH. It felt like I was doing 60 MPH the car handles that well. So I could easily see myself doing 180 MPH.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2024, 07:59 AM   #8
harperium
Major
Rep
Drives: G80 M3cx

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbojg View Post
That's funny because I never thought I would ever have the nerve to take the car to 155 MPH let alone 180 MPH I bought the package primarily for the driving school to get to understand better how the car handles in a safer environment and secondly in case I sold the car outright as a selling feature, However while on an open stretch of highway one day I got on the gas a little and when I looked down at the speedometer I was doing 120 MPH. It felt like I was doing 60 MPH the car handles that well. So I could easily see myself doing 180 MPH.
I got this package too (my G80 arrives in Feb). My SA doesn't know that much about scheduling of the classes, so I'll have to figure it out all too.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2024, 08:13 AM   #9
calbears
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 CS,2017 F87 LBB M2

Garage List
2011 M3  [10.00]
2017 M2  [10.00]
2018 M3 CS  [10.00]
when you finally get the voucher thing settled, don't take the class associated with the package. You can use the voucher as a gift card, good towards any other class. Take the 2 Day M School (or 2 Day Advanced M if you qualify)
Past: E90 328i, F10 535i, F80 M3 (murdered)
Appreciate 3
'Cane8514.50
      01-04-2024, 09:13 AM   #10
SkyNinja83
Rep
Drives: 2024 M3 Comp XDrive

Quote:
I told the lady at the performance center that I had the VIN number and she said she needed the voucher number. Apparently that is the only way she has access to any information and that it is needed to make the reservation.
Tell her you have the voucher number and provide your VIN .

Seriously though, that is BS.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2024, 09:29 AM   #11
Berzerker
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2024 M4 Convertible

Garage List
I got the package specifically because of the top speed increase but also it was a box to check. I don't really value the day at the PCD a whole lot.

Plus apparently it does add quite a bit of market value to the car compared to other packages (though I did learn this after the fact lol)

Appreciate 1
      01-04-2024, 09:54 AM   #12
turbojg
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by calbears View Post
when you finally get the voucher thing settled, don't take the class associated with the package. You can use the voucher as a gift card, good towards any other class. Take the 2 Day M School (or 2 Day Advanced M if you qualify)
I just got a call from the performance center and they got everything straightened out. I was a little apprehensive about the M Driver's package class myself and had my eye on the 2 day class. They do have prerequisites for the advanced class but even if they didn't I wouldn't take it as my driving skills are rusty (interrupted by raising a family). I used to spend lots of time in my younger days racing at the drag strip. Racing high performance normally aspirated and turbocharged cars and turbocharged boats on the water. But that was 20 years ago. Although I always drive on the street like I am on a race track. Just ask my wife.

There were some complications though as the earlier date in March that I was looking at in CA was with 2 persons in a vehicle taking turns driving where as in SC I would be by myself in the vehicles. Therefore I opted for the 2 day classes in SC at the beginning of June (was only one spot left)

Last edited by turbojg; 01-04-2024 at 10:13 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2024, 10:09 AM   #13
turbojg
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Berzerker - My first reason for getting the M Driver's package was that most of my high speed driving in the past was in a straight line at drag strips and on water and at that was 20 years ago. All of my drifting was in parking lots on snow and ice. Therefore, I wasn't interested in destroying my new M4cx while learning it's limits on the street. My 2nd reason had to do with resale. Although I didn't think it would have so much impact on resale value price wise I thought if I decided to sell the car outright not having it might cost me a sale.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2024, 11:20 AM   #14
StephenWyker
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F90, G80

Garage List
FYI, the voucher shows up in the mybmw app as a message within 60 days of adding your vehicle with the package as well. includes all the relevant info.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2024, 11:27 AM   #15
xxyion
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 M4 Competition xDrive

Quote:
In addition... is there that little interest in these driving classes that they are only held once a month?
The answer to this is unfortunately yes.

I think a lot of factors come into play here. BMW doesnt outright advertise this. In fact i didnt even know these sort of things existed for BMW until i bought my M4. I had an M2C in the past brand new and was never told about these classes. On the other hand Porsche, actively advertises their driving experience. I see ads all the time for that.

And also while BMW is considered a luxury brand, it doesnt really hold the same sort of prestige or lust that a Porsche has. While many of us are enjoying our M cars, the reality is they dont hold that dream car status that a Porsche GT car holds.

Sucks to hear about your experience with BMW about getting your driving experience setup. Hope you do manage to get a time slot that is worth your time.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2024, 12:46 PM   #16
turbojg
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephenWyker View Post
FYI, the voucher shows up in the mybmw app as a message within 60 days of adding your vehicle with the package as well. includes all the relevant info.
AH! Never thought to look there. Yes, it did come through a month ago and had the voucher number in it. Thanks for the tip. I'll have to pay more attention to the messages in the app. from now on.
Appreciate 1
      01-04-2024, 12:46 PM   #17
TJR_///M3
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3C 2021 X3M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxyion View Post
The answer to this is unfortunately yes.

I think a lot of factors come into play here. BMW doesnt outright advertise this. In fact i didnt even know these sort of things existed for BMW until i bought my M4. I had an M2C in the past brand new and was never told about these classes. On the other hand Porsche, actively advertises their driving experience. I see ads all the time for that.

And also while BMW is considered a luxury brand, it doesnt really hold the same sort of prestige or lust that a Porsche has. While many of us are enjoying our M cars, the reality is they dont hold that dream car status that a Porsche GT car holds.

Sucks to hear about your experience with BMW about getting your driving experience setup. Hope you do manage to get a time slot that is worth your time.
Although I basically agree with your points, the Porsche ‘experiences’ aren’t that frequent either…
Also, facility availability is a factor. The Spartanburg Performance Center is used for many promotional and other events for all the BMW products - non-M cars, SAVs, and bikes, plus Performance Center Deliveries.
Anyone who has tried to book a private session with the M folks will tell you that the limiting factor is usually when they can get access to the tracks as they are booked months in advance.
      01-04-2024, 12:49 PM   #18
turbojg
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

xxyion - Yes, that is unfortunate. The girl from the performance center said they had other things going on during the month and that scheduled days could range between 1 and 3 per month. I wonder what else they do there.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2024, 12:52 PM   #19
turbojg
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJR_///M3 View Post
Anyone who has tried to book a private session with the M folks will tell you that the limiting factor is usually when they can get access to the tracks as they are booked months in advance.
I guess the limited number of classes per month makes sense then.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2024, 12:53 PM   #20
calbears
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 CS,2017 F87 LBB M2

Garage List
2011 M3  [10.00]
2017 M2  [10.00]
2018 M3 CS  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJR_///M3 View Post
was able to arrange this with about 2 weeks notice for private instruction in South Carolina, depends on what you want to do as well
Past: E90 328i, F10 535i, F80 M3 (murdered)
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2024, 01:01 PM   #21
xxyion
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 M4 Competition xDrive

I think thats also a limiting factor that they are essentially borrowing another track to do their stuff on. Porsche has their own facility.

I do know Porsche runs driving experiences every day though. When i was there for my delivery (even though mine took all day) i saw multiple groups of people in and out for their driving experience. I think any difficulty in trying to book with them is just more they are so popular rather than them just not offering it that often.

On the flip side, i do wish more companies offered something like this. I'm happy Toyota offers one free track day with NASA with the purchase of any GR car and even Hyundai offered a N performance class when i bought my Veloster N. Did not get to attend as their only location was somewhere in the midwest and i wasnt going to road trip out in my car for that.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2024, 01:09 PM   #22
turbojg
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjx View Post
Most people skip this package, but reading posts like this from people who did get it makes it even less appealing unless the extra top speed strongly fits into the projected use case for the owner.
I can understand that. However the cost of the package minus the cost of the driver's school is about $1000.00. That seems a lot for just a change in the code to change the top end speed.

I have to wonder if there are any other changes to the car/engine/drivetrain for the speed increase. Gearing maybe??? Anyone ever notice their RPM at 155MPH. If so was it close to the engine redline?
Appreciate 0