BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics BMW M3 (G80), M4 (G82), CSL and 3.0 CSL General Forum

04-07-2024, 12:41 PM   #45
kjx
///M ♥ Recycled Dinosaurs
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M4, BMW X5 45e

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinGS View Post
Yes, I have the windshield PPF. Not sure if it's worth it, but I do like the fact that I can replace it without replacing the windshield itself.

But it scratches, especially if you drive in the rain a lot. The wipers leave marks over time. I understand that there's some special wiper blades to minimize this, but I haven't tried them.

I do like the fact that when a rock hits my windshield, I don't cringe as much as I did without it...it does protect pretty well.
You need to treat the film with this on a regular basis (monthly or even with every wash):
https://parkscarcare.net/products/st...rcare-solution

It's both preventative and very slightly curative. Always keep your windshield clean and wiper blades clean to avoid marring over time, and be judicious in using the wipers - don't run it dry or when it's barely got a few drops on.
      04-07-2024, 06:20 PM   #46
KevinGS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Past 2015 M4, Current 2013 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjx View Post
You need to treat the film with this on a regular basis (monthly or even with every wash):

It's both preventative and very slightly curative. Always keep your windshield clean and wiper blades clean to avoid marring over time, and be judicious in using the wipers - don't run it dry or when it's barely got a few drops on.
Thanks. And does it really work? Does it really fix some light scratches? That would be magic. LOL
13mm spacers all around, painted the rear udder, front LEDs added
Revaton Front Lip, Burger Motorsports air intake, OLED tails
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2024, 07:18 PM   #47
Endless619
DHS
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M4, 2020 Land Rover

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBBF87 View Post
I am not sure if I am on my own here, but I have gone through three windshields in 8 months of owning my M3.

My first windshield cracked after 100 miles on the car.

I am tired of shelling out $500 or $1500 on windshields and am looking for ideas on how to keep these stupid things from cracking. Has anyone tried anything or can vouch for any method?
Uhh number 1 what country do you live in? In the United States and in Arizona I just had mine replaced after a rock chip. OEM glass ranges from $280-$580 and it’s free with USAA auto insurance. Mine was $0. If it breaks 3 more times it would be 3X $0. Maybe get a better insurance for starters. I would never pay they much. Foreign countries are really killing you folks with their prices.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2024, 07:32 PM   #48
drexplode
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: G26 i4x

Full glass coverage in Michigan with AAA. Just had front windshield replaced with safelite. <30 mins after leaving PCD some a-hole in a Yoda POS passed a semi on i40 to kick up a nasty rock directly into drivers view. Completely satisfied with the removal, install of OEM (pilkington) and calibration. Total process duration was just under 3h at their physical location. Cost was >$1000, to me it was $0.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2024, 08:44 PM   #49
Skyscraper
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M4 Competition

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forzanerazzurri View Post
Reminds me of "free" healthcare.
It’s only free if you don’t work.
The rest of us have the Afordable Care Act…
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2024, 10:23 PM   #50
kjx
///M ♥ Recycled Dinosaurs
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M4, BMW X5 45e

Garage List
Quote:
Thanks. And does it really work? Does it really fix some light scratches? That would be magic. LOL
It’ll primarily protect against wear from wipers. Light scratches will disappear if applied exactly as directed. Some scratches may still be visible in some sunlight angles. Completely clear in anything but non-direct sunlight. YMMV with how badly scratched up it is.

If your detailer (installing detailer) is any good, they can lightly polish the film too. My detailer offered to remove it - I said no no no. Some imperfection from wiper wear is way less bothersome than micropitted glass.

The few scratches I had came from a… sigh.. highly rated mobile detailer trying to get the wiper blades to stand up. I had nothing at all in over a year of washing myself. BMW has the dumbest procedure for wipers and it can be hit or miss for knowledgeable owners. Why can’t they just also provide an iDrive option for that.

I’d replace the film but Stek took it out of just the US market as it came off some woman’s car while driving and I’m guessing they don’t want the liability exposure in the US. The film dislodging from a windshield while driving is a lot more dangerous than the vastly more profitable and less liability-prone PPF business.
KevinGS3360.50
      04-09-2024, 06:45 AM   #51
KevinGS
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
It’ll primarily protect against wear from wipers. Light scratches will disappear if applied exactly as directed. Some scratches may still be visible in some sunlight angles. Completely clear in anything but non-direct sunlight. YMMV with how badly scratched up it is.

If your detailer (installing detailer) is any good, they can lightly polish the film too. My detailer offered to remove it - I said no no no. Some imperfection from wiper wear is way less bothersome than micropitted glass.

The few scratches I had came from a… sigh.. highly rated mobile detailer trying to get the wiper blades to stand up. I had nothing at all in over a year of washing myself. BMW has the dumbest procedure for wipers and it can be hit or miss for knowledgeable owners. Why can’t they just also provide an iDrive option for that.

I’d replace the film but Stek took it out of just the US market as it came off some woman’s car while driving and I’m guessing they don’t want the liability exposure in the US. The film dislodging from a windshield while driving is a lot more dangerous than the vastly more profitable and less liability-prone PPF business.
Thanks, I will order some this week.
13mm spacers all around, painted the rear udder, front LEDs added
Revaton Front Lip, Burger Motorsports air intake, OLED tails
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2024, 08:02 AM   #52
ipilcher
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 M3 Compensation

Quote:

Interesting. The detailer that put on my film didn't mention anything like this (although that might be because they put "ceramic" coating over the film).

I notice that the instructions say that it's supposed to be sprayed directly onto the windshield. How is one supposed to avoid over overspraying onto the adjacent panels?
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2024, 08:00 PM   #53
exmowner
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 22 M3X / 14 GTR

Quote:
Yes, I have the windshield PPF. Not sure if it's worth it, but I do like the fact that I can replace it without replacing the windshield itself.

But it scratches, especially if you drive in the rain a lot. The wipers leave marks over time. I understand that there's some special wiper blades to minimize this, but I haven't tried them.

I do like the fact that when a rock hits my windshield, I don't cringe as much as I did without it...it does protect pretty well.
I’m getting exosheild installed now, what wipers are you referring to? Also can we ceramic coat the ppf?
2021-G82 BASE (SOLD)
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2024, 12:57 PM   #54
KevinGS
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by exmowner View Post
I’m getting exosheild installed now, what wipers are you referring to? Also can we ceramic coat the ppf?
Regular wipers will scratch the windshield PPF over time, it's inevitable.

Probably a waste to ceramic coat the PPF, instead you can try using this

I haven't used it yet, but it's the most apropos product.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2024, 11:26 PM   #55
M3PC
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW M3 2017 Shelby GT350

I just had Bray Windshield Skin installed for $500. It's only been a few months and it has been good so far.
Appreciate 0