BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics BMW M3 (G80), M4 (G82), CSL and 3.0 CSL General Forum

12-26-2021, 12:17 AM   #23
brava09
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M4C xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by WraithM5 View Post
I'm getting a weird one where sometimes I'm hitting the Rev limiter....in automatic. In one case full throttle and it was like the car went into neutral for a second.
I hear you , it's the nature of the ZF automatic.
Very annoying, I get the same in my M5, a split second delay at redline 1st to second gear, sometimes at 2nd to third gear too
11 Audi RS5 Misano Red--sold
08 E92 M3 Jerez Black 6MT--sold
08 E92 335i 6MT traded in for M3
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2021, 12:31 PM   #24
kjx
///M ♥ Recycled Dinosaurs
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M4, BMW X5 45e

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by brava09 View Post
Quote:
I'm getting a weird one where sometimes I'm hitting the Rev limiter....in automatic. In one case full throttle and it was like the car went into neutral for a second.
Very annoying, I get the same in my M5, a split second delay at redline 1st to second gear, sometimes at 2nd to third gear too
It'll get worse as the transmission ages (and it'll happen faster, the harder you push it day to day). My 435i didn't do it for 50K miles but you could feel the gaps in shifts getting a bit larger and lazier over time. Eventually in Sport+ and with the gear lever to the left, it started with this behavior where the shift became slow enough that it would bounce once on the rev limiter at full throttle. It'll probably happen a lot faster in a G8x.
      12-26-2021, 12:39 PM   #25
AndroidRobot
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Porsche Boxster GTS

Garage List
  [0.00]
2022 Porsche Boxste ...  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjx View Post
Quote:
Quote:
It'll get worse as the transmission ages (and it'll happen faster, the harder you push it day to day). My 435i didn't do it for 50K miles but you could feel the gaps in shifts getting a bit larger and lazier over time. Eventually in Sport+ and with the gear lever to the left, it started with this behavior where the shift became slow enough that it would bounce once on the rev limiter at full throttle. It'll probably happen a lot faster in a G8x.
I never had that issue in my X5 after 33K miles and in auto my G80 doesn't hit the rev limiter, only in sequential mode will it bounce off the limiter if you aren't fast enough
2018 BMW M2 Mineral Grey(SOLD)
2019 BMW X5 50i Carbon Black/Tartufo (SOLD)
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2021, 12:58 PM   #26
kjx
///M ♥ Recycled Dinosaurs
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M4, BMW X5 45e

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndroidRobot View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I never had that issue in my X5 after 33K miles and in auto my G80 doesn't hit the rev limiter, only in sequential mode will it bounce off the limiter if you aren't fast enough
It's just a function of how much wear there is. If you shift hard before the engine and transmission are fully warmed up, you'll see this sooner than later due to accelerated wear. If you drive hard all the time, you'll see this sooner. If you drive gently most of the time, you may never see it before you sell the car.
      12-26-2021, 01:38 PM   #27
AndroidRobot
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Porsche Boxster GTS

Garage List
  [0.00]
2022 Porsche Boxste ...  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndroidRobot View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
It's just a function of how much wear there is. If you shift hard before the engine and transmission are fully warmed up, you'll see this sooner than later due to accelerated wear. If you drive hard all the time, you'll see this sooner. If you drive gently most of the time, you may never see it before you sell the car.
I leased mine for a reason, I've launched it maybe 8x so far but I generally drive the car hard because why have a sports sedan if you drive it like a granny.

I ran a couple of 1/4 miles to see how it would do with the higher DA we have right now due to the heat/humidity. Best I could do was 11.28s for the 1/4 mile and 0-60 3.29s (3.08s with rollout as is the standard)

When I ran it with a lower DA I shaved the 1/4 mile time down to 11.2s so I think it's able to go faster with the right conditions. My car definitely fought for traction in both 4WD sport and 4WD modes (I did it in each) and I could feel it sliding a bit. I'm on Michelin Pilot Sport 4S tires as well.
Attached Images

2018 BMW M2 Mineral Grey(SOLD)
2019 BMW X5 50i Carbon Black/Tartufo (SOLD)
Appreciate 0