BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics BMW M3 (G80), M4 (G82), CSL and 3.0 CSL General Forum

01-03-2023, 09:30 PM   #23
Shaneartistry
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

I tried this on my ‘23 X5 and it sort of does the same thing.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2023, 05:58 PM   #24
jesse550
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Update: received no other update since I dropped the car off Monday (3 days ago) and this morning I get a text from the dealership saying the car is ready to be picked up. I replied "thanks, is the issue fixed?" and of course, no reply.

Order of events:
-----------------------------
Dropped off the car monday, service advisor said they'll look at it and if they need to add more toe or camber they will. I sat there waiting an hour and 15 minutes them she came back and said they need more time and they have to call BMW NA. They offered me a rental from hertz however I just left without it.

Service advisor texted me for the video of the issue tuesday. I sent the video and I asked if they can at least consider doing an alignment and if I have to pay for it if they could at least add more camber and toe in. - NO REPLY.

Wednesday: no update, no contact at all

Thursday at 9am: got the text that its ready for pickup.

I get to the dealer around 12, service advisor is at lunch and they politely guide me to another desk to receive my car. I asked if it was fix, they told me they did not find an issue. I look at the paperwork I received back and it says they test drove a "comparable" car and that they noticed the same behavior with that other car so they deemed the operation normal.

Guess I will try to find another shop or dealer that is willing to look a bit further into it and at least try an alignment with a bit more camber and toe in and update you guys on that.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2023, 11:54 AM   #25
twistedmorphine
Rep
Drives: M3 Competition

Thanks for the update! I have booked an appointment for the 31st of January for my break-in service together with this as an issue. I suspect they'll tell me something similar. I will circle back afterwards.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2023, 01:21 PM   #26
TJR_///M3
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3C 2021 X3M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesse550 View Post
Update: received no other update since I dropped the car off Monday (3 days ago) and this morning I get a text from the dealership saying the car is ready to be picked up. I replied "thanks, is the issue fixed?" and of course, no reply.

Order of events:
——————————————-
Dropped off the car monday, service advisor said they'll look at it and if they need to add more toe or camber they will. I sat there waiting an hour and 15 minutes them she came back and said they need more time and they have to call BMW NA. They offered me a rental from hertz however I just left without it.

Service advisor texted me for the video of the issue tuesday. I sent the video and I asked if they can at least consider doing an alignment and if I have to pay for it if they could at least add more camber and toe in. - NO REPLY.

Wednesday: no update, no contact at all

Thursday at 9am: got the text that its ready for pickup.

I get to the dealer around 12, service advisor is at lunch and they politely guide me to another desk to receive my car. I asked if it was fix, they told me they did not find an issue. I look at the paperwork I received back and it says they test drove a "comparable" car and that they noticed the same behavior with that other car so they deemed the operation normal.

Guess I will try to find another shop or dealer that is willing to look a bit further into it and at least try an alignment with a bit more camber and toe in and update you guys on that.
I have commented several times on this issue both on this and on other similar threads. This was the only disappointing aspect of my G80 when I picked it up. However, after 17,000 miles it has definitely improved although it is still not what I would call perfect but frankly I have just got used to it and it no longer bothers me.
Related I was driving my wife’s X3M40i this morning and noticed that it too had a similar issue…
      01-06-2023, 04:57 PM   #27
svgM3
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 21 X3 M40i (sold), 23 M3 CompX

Interesting. I definitely don’t notice having to correct back and forth on the m3. It doesn’t snap back to center when you give slight input but when I put it back to center it does stay there.

The behavior of having to correct back and forth was noticed on my past x3 m40i. It was only at high way speeds though, so I chocked it up to the car being less aerodynamic and getting blown around by the wind
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2023, 11:59 PM   #28
kjx
///M ♥ Recycled Dinosaurs
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M4, BMW X5 45e

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by svgM3 View Post
Interesting. I definitely don’t notice having to correct back and forth on the m3. It doesn’t snap back to center when you give slight input but when I put it back to center it does stay there.

The behavior of having to correct back and forth was noticed on my past x3 m40i. It was only at high way speeds though, so I chocked it up to the car being less aerodynamic and getting blown around by the wind
Same story at my end. It doesn't snap back to center when it's just a little bit off. But it is very precise, and I don't have to make any continual corrections.

If people requiring continual corrections are all stock (suspension, no spacers, wheels, tires), it's very likely to be an alignment issue.

I've never driven a car that's been completely immune to wind - even the M4 can get hit by sudden sideways gusts. But I know it's less than others because others slow down and I'm still flying down the road like nothing's happening.
      01-07-2023, 10:06 AM   #29
Nate.G82
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: TBII G82 6MT

Garage List
2021 BMW M4  [0.00]
When I first got my M4, it did the same thing. If you did a small input, then it would just keep it until you bring it back to center. Otherwise, u-turn or any other turn that turns the wheel more than a couple degrees will bring it back to center naturally. I've noticed this in this car, an x3m, x7, and the m8. Unfortunately, sounds like a BMW thing. I haven't experienced that kind of "stick" in any other car I've driven.

However, after 7k miles, I believe I've either gotten used to it or it smoothed itself out. With slight adjustments, I noticed it would come back to center regardless of speed.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2023, 02:28 AM   #30
Tony_M3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 G80 6MT

Agree with some of the posts that this is just a BMW thing. I had a pre-LCI F80 and it had pretty much the same issue (wouldn't return to center when the steering is just a bit off). Initially drove me crazy at first but I got used to it and honestly forgot about it until I saw this thread. I haven't explicitly noticed it on my G80 but maybe that's because I've built up a tolerance haha.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2023, 03:35 PM   #31
thecakeisalie
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: ‘23 G80x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate.G82 View Post
When I first got my M4, it did the same thing. If you did a small input, then it would just keep it until you bring it back to center. Otherwise, u-turn or any other turn that turns the wheel more than a couple degrees will bring it back to center naturally. I've noticed this in this car, an x3m, x7, and the m8. Unfortunately, sounds like a BMW thing. I haven't experienced that kind of "stick" in any other car I've driven.

However, after 7k miles, I believe I've either gotten used to it or it smoothed itself out. With slight adjustments, I noticed it would come back to center regardless of speed.
I noticed this on mine as well. This post gives me hope to wait it out for some time before asking for something more invasive at the dealership. Rather strange feel and behavior in that first few degrees off-center that is not replicated when making larger steering inputs.
Appreciate 2
Nate.G82521.00
      10-25-2023, 10:58 PM   #32
andyho123
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 Yas Marina Blue M4

reviving the thread. this issue is driving me crazy! got my steering rack replaced but it is doing the same thing still. a slight input would drag the car over to that direction, but it is easier for it to drag right than left
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2023, 02:19 AM   #33
davidmct-M3
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 440i with MPSSK

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjx View Post
Same story at my end. It doesn't snap back to center when it's just a little bit off. But it is very precise, and I don't have to make any continual corrections.

If people requiring continual corrections are all stock (suspension, no spacers, wheels, tires), it's very likely to be an alignment issue.

I've never driven a car that's been completely immune to wind - even the M4 can get hit by sudden sideways gusts. But I know it's less than others because others slow down and I'm still flying down the road like nothing's happening.
I’ve noticed this as well. Much less affected by side winds though higher tendency to aquaplane at speed due to tyre width.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2023, 08:25 AM   #34
andyho123
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 Yas Marina Blue M4

do you notice if the slight into to the right is more reactive than to the left? when I twitch it to the right, steering stuck and it drags car over to the right. When twitching to the left, it does the same thing but not as drastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmct-M3 View Post
I’ve noticed this as well. Much less affected by side winds though higher tendency to aquaplane at speed due to tyre width.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2023, 09:21 AM   #35
Needsdecaf
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2024 G80 Comp xDrive

Is there no way to simply add a bit more caster to the alignment? That's what keeps the car going straight and returns your wheels to center when turned.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2023, 09:45 AM   #36
Diesel power
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 24 Q8 E-Tron 24 M3 CX

BMW's used to run a ton of caster, good for steering feel and self-centering, bad for tire wear and steering effort. They have pulled a lot of the caster out over the years to make the car easier to drive for all the soccer mom's out there. I think what people are sensing is a combination of that (Whether exacerbated by bad alignment is hard to say) and the EPS being tuned to be a little less responsive at small inputs to reduce "nervousness"
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2023, 02:06 PM   #37
vasillalov
Mad Linux Guru On The Loose
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i Sedan, 2023 M3

Garage List
2023 BMW M3  [0.00]
2008 335i E90  [8.00]
There was a steering rack issue with G8x cars. Mine doesn't do anything like what people are describing. I can let go of the steering wheel and the car will track straight. Inputs to yhe steering wheel feel natural and predictable regardless if it is in comfort or sport. I don't have to figjt with the car to constantly keep it in the right direction.

This definitely sounds like a mechanical problem to me.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2023, 05:09 PM   #38
kjx
///M ♥ Recycled Dinosaurs
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M4, BMW X5 45e

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmct-M3 View Post
Aquaplaning is 100% the summer high performance tires and not just because of the width.

I switched to my winter Continental DWS as soon as roads started getting bits of standing water - slices through all of it like it’s butter even though widths are the same as summer.

Right tread, right tread depth (>5 mm), right tire composition and M xDrive makes this car very potent in wet and cold weather.

Anyone who’s running the summer high-perf in wet weather can unexpectedly find themselves losing a whole lot more than the savings on not having a separate set of tires (unless they drive like a granny). And driving like a granny is a disservice to the whole concept of a pure-blood ///M.