BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Cosmetic Care & Detailing (PPF/Wash/Wax/Detailing/Restoration/Repairs)

12-30-2022, 06:02 PM   #1
MichaelB1969
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 G80 Base SSG/Fiona

To what areas are people applying PPF?

Seeing lots of threads for recommended installers in various areas of the country but couldn't find much on what areas of the car people were covering with PPF.

I have a G80 base with extended shadowline trim on order and plan to do the front, hood, rockers, roof and mirrors. Am I missing anything? I'd rather not do the entire car.

Thanks in advance for any guidance!
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2022, 07:14 PM   #2
kjx
///M ♥ Recycled Dinosaurs
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M4, BMW X5 45e

Garage List
I did the entire car. There was a post here recently by a guy who did parts of the car and the dealer took it through their car wash despite instructions not to and it left swirl marks all over the non-PPFed ceramic coated portions. He regretted not PPFing the entire car, and may address it now.

Anyway, if you're not doing the entire car, you should still do the entire rear bumper because of how dirty it can get. You can also hit the portion on the tailgate that is below the taillight line and behind the license plate.

Cover all the carbon fiber and any piano black trim pieces. The clear coat on those are very swirl/micro-scratch-prone and swirls show up by your first wash. They may even get delivered to you with swirls and scratches that will need to get polished off before protection.

Door edges are a good one as all it takes is one strong unexpected gust of wind to bang the edge against a concrete wall.
      12-30-2022, 07:43 PM   #3
Forzanerazzurri
Banned
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 Coupe/G80 M3CX

Garage List
Full
Appreciate 1
      12-30-2022, 07:51 PM   #4
astroricardo
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3Cx TR/Tartufo

I did what you're suggesting, plus the rear bumper under the trunk area. Oh my installer also does 'door cups' as part of their front PPF. It's the area behind the door handles that get finger nail scratches.
Appreciate 1
      12-30-2022, 07:52 PM   #5
Reson7
Private
Rep
Drives: 2022 M4 Competition xDrive

I critically recommend full body. There's just no way, in my opinion, to go any other way.

The only areas that were not done on mine, are the roof antenna, tail lights, door handles, and the window trim.

Windshield protection film has already saved my windshield from 3 rock chips.

PPF has saved my door after someone swung their door open on mine, the PPF took the whole hit, of course the PPF had to be replaced on the door since it tore, but most importantly the paint was entirely protected and did not need any repaint.

Don't regret it after, get it done right from delivery
      12-30-2022, 08:03 PM   #6
BMWRacer523
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 Competition xDrive

At a minimum: front clip including a pillars, lights, grill, lip etc. I would also recommend doing the side skirts. Having said that I now wish I had done full also since I got a rock chip on a door (easy fix but annoying). I installed the Tommy L Garage flaps and haven't had any since.
Appreciate 2
JDUNITNOW3513.00
      12-30-2022, 08:33 PM   #7
Hit_Apex
Riding the knock sensor
Rep
Drives: 21 X5MC | 23 M4CSL

Garage List
2021 BMW X5MC  [0.00]
Spacers dramatically increase pitting on side panels and rockers. Front flaps/guards help but PPF on sides is almost mandatory. Might as well go full if you run spacers.
      12-30-2022, 09:22 PM   #8
MichaelB1969
Captain
Rep

Not planning to add spacers. Will likely keep it bone stock until I’m driven mad cleaning the 826 wheels, at which point I might look for a more open design.

On my prior 991.2 I did the entire front, mirrors, rockers and area behind rear wheels.

Would it be good to do the whole car? Sure, but would rather not.

I forgot the A-pillars. Should add those. I like the idea of doing under the handles too. My 991.2 was white and showed any dirt around the edges. Should be less of an issue with Skyscraper.

Good advice from all!
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2022, 09:49 PM   #9
anakratis
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '24 X3M Comp

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reson7 View Post
I critically recommend full body. There's just no way, in my opinion, to go any other way.

The only areas that were not done on mine, are the roof antenna, tail lights, door handles, and the window trim.

PPF has saved my door after someone swung their door open on mine, the PPF took the whole hit, of course the PPF had to be replaced on the door since it tore, but most importantly the paint was entirely protected and did not need any repaint.

Man, I wish my eyes could handle windshield protection film. I'm just so sensitive to the distortions in the film that it makes me nauseous. Tried with three different PPF installers, all had some degree of distortion and ended up removing them all.
Appreciate 2
M4Tejas788.00
      12-30-2022, 10:29 PM   #10
Forzanerazzurri
Banned
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reson7 View Post

Agree. First car I've ever done it on and the peace of mind is worth every penny. It's my most expensive car but it's also the car i worry least about.
Appreciate 1
      01-01-2023, 02:31 PM   #11
LuckyBrand
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 F15, G05 X5, G80 M3 6sp

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB1969 View Post
Seeing lots of threads for recommended installers in various areas of the country but couldn't find much on what areas of the car people were covering with PPF.

I have a G80 base with extended shadowline trim on order and plan to do the front, hood, rockers, roof and mirrors. Am I missing anything? I'd rather not do the entire car.

Thanks in advance for any guidance!
I did the full hood, bumper, rockers and rear fender area. I just couldn't justify doing the whole car even though it is probably the best way to go. Crazy money in my area to do it all.
Appreciate 1
      01-01-2023, 02:39 PM   #12
MichaelB1969
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyBrand View Post
I did the full hood, bumper, rockers and rear fender area. I just couldn't justify doing the whole car even though it is probably the best way to go. Crazy money in my area to do it all.
Gotcha, when you say rear fenders, do you mean just the area behind the rear wheels?
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2023, 02:48 PM   #13
Kinleyg
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 Competition Xdrive

I did full car and it's been completely worth it. Attached pictures are damage to my front from a big hunk of transport truck tire i hit on the highway. PPF has now been replaced and looks like nothing ever happened.

Full vehicle definitely worth it.
Attached Images

Appreciate 5
      01-01-2023, 04:05 PM   #14
LuckyBrand
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 F15, G05 X5, G80 M3 6sp

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB1969 View Post
Gotcha, when you say rear fenders, do you mean just the area behind the rear wheels?
Correct! Like a 2X2 area or so. From where the seem of bumper cover down to covering the black area back to where bumper starts to curve.

I have found one small chip on top of front fender and a small chip on passenger front door probably from turning the wheel and sticky tires throw crap. But stuff happens and bound to happen. I feel I did most of the important areas. I mean really the front of roof, fenders and mirror caps could use it as well but once again cost is a factor to me and I just couldn't justify more at the time. You just have to do what makes you feel the best.
Appreciate 1
      01-01-2023, 05:44 PM   #15
luckylingy
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: X3M

Like many others doing partial PPF, I did front clip and rocker panels (mine are gloss black). I also did mirror caps and back bumper below trunk opening, plus the gloss black portion of the front fender trim (the air breathers that don't breathe air). Don't skip the headlights ($7,000 apiece) and the adaptive cruise sensor (another $5,000); I'm in no hurry to replace those due to damage from debris.

Last edited by luckylingy; 01-01-2023 at 05:49 PM..
Appreciate 1
      01-08-2023, 01:53 PM   #16
V8MAN
Captain
Rep
Drives: '23 M3CxD IOMG

I am trying to decide if it is worth doing the entire carbon roof, it definitely adds $$ to the quotes I have gotten.
I am just thinking that having the roof ceramic coated would be enough, and in the event of some etching from bird crap or something that can be polished out?
      01-08-2023, 05:12 PM   #17
MichaelB1969
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8MAN View Post
I am trying to decide if it is worth doing the entire carbon roof, it definitely adds $$ to the quotes I have gotten.
I am just thinking that having the roof ceramic coated would be enough, and in the event of some etching from bird crap or something that can be polished out?
The roof is gorgeous. Even though it's clear coated like the paint, I'd do it so I didn't have to worry about etching, etc. If the car is kept garaged when not being driven, I'd be more likely to skip it if I was looking to save some $.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2023, 05:59 PM   #18
astroricardo
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3Cx TR/Tartufo

People get the roof wrapped for chips, not etching. Ceramic coating won't help you there.
Appreciate 1
      01-09-2023, 08:25 PM   #19
Sparky_12
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 M4 Comp xDrive Convertibl

Front clip on my G83.
Appreciate 1
      01-09-2023, 10:15 PM   #20
MichaelB1969
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by astroricardo View Post
People get the roof wrapped for chips, not etching. Ceramic coating won't help you there.
Yup, chips, especially on the leading foot or so of roofline, are the primary reason. I think not having to worry about etching is icing on the cake though.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2023, 10:32 PM   #21
Forzanerazzurri
Banned
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinleyg View Post
I did full car and it's been completely worth it. Attached pictures are damage to my front from a big hunk of transport truck tire i hit on the highway. PPF has now been replaced and looks like nothing ever happened.

Full vehicle definitely worth it.
Bro ceramic coating would have saved you too..it's ceramic!
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2023, 10:34 PM   #22
Forzanerazzurri
Banned
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8MAN View Post
Bird shit will eat through ceramic coating like nothing.
Appreciate 0