United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 M60i

Garage List
2024 BMW X5 M60i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Deep View Post
First, congrats on finally getting them

No you’re not picky…I‘ve seen 4 different sets now and all of them are how I would say, not best paint quality in terms of paint coverage. Judging from your pics, I would say yours are more or less how the most are, maybe a bit worser.

Mine are not that bad, but I also have those light patches, mainly on tight spots. As you say, not that noticeable really unless you are really looking at those spots very close. But once you know it, it’s very annoying!!

Personally so annoying to me, that I will let them repaint over winter. For the money you pay, I would expect a better job. But unfortunately, it seems to be a overall issue with those wheels after seeing some sets and all were more or less the same…
This is probably the most interesting post given that you’ve seen these same set of wheels on different occasions. This was my first time seeing them so of course in my mind, I was/am looking for perfection just like the official marketing photos from BMW.

In some ways, its good to know that they truly are consistently inconsistent with the paint job because that does help me accept them a bit more. The last thing I want to do is go through a lot of hassle and just end up with another pair that is just the same or worse. However, at the other end of it, for this kind of money it isn’t cool that they are getting done in such an inconsistent manner.

Current - 2024 G05 X5 ///M60i in Java Green
Past - 2005 E53 X5 3.0i in Titanium Silver; 2008 E92 335i in Montego Blue; 2019 G01 X3 M40i in Glacier Silver; 2022 G80 M3 Competition in Twilight Purple
Appreciate 2
Dr.Deep1827.00
Limegrntaln13476.00
      12-12-2022, 03:31 PM   #24
Dr.Deep
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M4 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagofan00 View Post
This is probably the most interesting post given that you’ve seen these same set of wheels on different occasions. This was my first time seeing them so of course in my mind, I was/am looking for perfection just like the official marketing photos from BMW.

In some ways, its good to know that they truly are consistently inconsistent with the paint job because that does help me accept them a bit more. The last thing I want to do is go through a lot of hassle and just end up with another pair that is just the same or worse. However, at the other end of it, for this kind of money it isn’t cool that they are getting done in such an inconsistent manner.
Completely agree, I also was a bit calmer after seeing other sets, but still it’s a bit disappointing for the money. On the other side, it’s really barely noticeable once they are mounted. My set is only bad where the lug nuts are and on the very tight spots where they narrowest inner spokes come together, so you really have to look at them from a few Inches away to notice.
I would definitely check with them what they can do, but I think its a general paint process issue and every set will have those issues, some probably more, some less…
Appreciate 1
chicagofan0019155.00
      12-12-2022, 03:34 PM   #25
chicagofan00
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Deep View Post
Completely agree, I also was a bit calmer after seeing other sets, but still it’s a bit disappointing for the money. On the other side, it’s really barely noticeable once they are mounted. My set is only bad where the lug nuts are and on the very tight spots where they narrowest inner spokes come together, so you really have to look at them from a few Inches away to notice.
I would definitely check with them what they can do, but I think its a general paint process issue and every set will have those issues, some probably more, some less…
Those are the two most noticeable spots on all four of mine as well with it then being somewhat noticeable on a couple of the spokes.

Well, I’ll see what GetBMWParts says next and go from there…

Past - 2005 E53 X5 3.0i in Titanium Silver; 2008 E92 335i in Montego Blue; 2019 G01 X3 M40i in Glacier Silver; 2022 G80 M3 Competition in Twilight Purple
Appreciate 3
Dr.Deep1827.00
Limegrntaln13476.00
      12-12-2022, 04:35 PM   #26
FISH22
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 Competition

Garage List
2021 BMW M3C  [10.00]
2011 BMW M3  [10.00]
Whatever you do, I'd absolutely avoid getting anyone, including BMW, to repaint or repair. I've seen threads for years where people have tried to match BMW's frozen-finished wheels, mainly the gold. No joy.

They have some super secret formulation and the wheels are painted on another planet by unicorns, who knows. If I were you, I'd hold what ya got.. you'll likely be over it soon enough. Who knows, maybe the next set is worse?
Appreciate 3
chicagofan0019155.00
Limegrntaln13476.00
      12-12-2022, 05:36 PM   #27
vbb
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 M4 manual

With the last pics that you posted, and now that I am looking on an actual laptop as opposed to my phone, I can see what you're talking about when you say it looks like overspray when you take those zoomed in pics. I can also understand that because this isn't how they look on BMW's marketing photos (which have probably been edited or touched up just like pretty much every advertisement ever made since digital editing was a thing) you feel like you're not getting your money's worth. I would remind you that while $6K is a lot of money for wheels, there are people that have $100K cars that don't come from the factory absolutely perfect. There can sometimes be subtle panel gaps, weird rattles, suspension not completely balanced... little things that don't make the car junk, but definitely can be noticed. Some people decide to live with those things, others decide to chase the repair/replacement. It's really an individual choice.

For ME, I don't expect perfection in manufactured items. That isn't to say I don't want perfection, it is just that I don't expect it. So with every car and car part I purchase, I have to decide if the things I notice are worth fixing or not, and if those things bother me to the point where I am losing enjoyment of the product. That's a personal call. My point in my earlier reply was that I would be willing to bet that if you ordered a completely new set, you'd see similar imperfections. And what is more frustrating than spending $6K and seeing what you've seen? Spending $6K, going through a 2 month long warranty replacement process and then getting something back that looks basically the same. Ain't nobody got time for that! So again, I'd either accept what I've received (and at a discount if they'll offer it), or just forget those wheels and go with something else. That's ME, because I will be surprised if you get 100% perfect wheels.

Good luck in whichever way you go!
Appreciate 3
Limegrntaln13476.00
chicagofan0019155.00
Vinnrox2503002.00
      12-12-2022, 06:05 PM   #28
kjx
///M ♥ Recycled Dinosaurs
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M4, BMW X5 45e

Garage List
I am picky but I don’t even know what I’m looking for. One of the replies had a photo that showed it prominently but I don’t know. Is it worth your time to follow up on this? If you have the ability to do so without affecting other priorities in life, sure. It feels like it’s below a threshold where I can just say “meh” if it were me.
      12-12-2022, 06:25 PM   #29
'Cane
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Aventurin/SS G82 xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjx View Post
I am picky but I don’t even know what I’m looking for. One of the replies had a photo that showed it prominently but I don’t know. Is it worth your time to follow up on this? If you have the ability to do so without affecting other priorities in life, sure. It feels like it’s below a threshold where I can just say “meh” if it were me.
You buy an iPad and there’s a tiny scratch on the screen, you say.. oh well? Or do you return it for another one? An iPad is ~$600, these wheels are $6000+
Appreciate 2
Limegrntaln13476.00
chicagofan0019155.00
      12-12-2022, 06:29 PM   #30
Tyga11
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M4 Comp

Damn those look badass!!!! Your car is going to be a huge cop magnet now

But seriously, I would ask for a discount. I think a 25% discount would be more than fair IMO. They look great and I bet you can't even notice unless you look extremely closely.
Appreciate 2
Limegrntaln13476.00
chicagofan0019155.00
      12-12-2022, 06:42 PM   #31
Limegrntaln
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 DG/BLk xDrive M4C Wk 34

Garage List
matx1982 havent seen you in a while, but do you have any input?

Appreciate 0
      12-12-2022, 06:52 PM   #32
vbb
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 M4 manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'Cane View Post
You buy an iPad and there’s a tiny scratch on the screen, you say.. oh well? Or do you return it for another one? An iPad is ~$600, these wheels are $6000+
You can return the scratched screen iPad and get a new one in about an hour though, or within a day or two if you online shop. And you can be virtually certain the new one won't have a scratched screen.

Here, the OP paid $6K for a set of wheels that looks perfect, just like they do in the pics BMW posts online. The return process could take months and there's no guarantee the new set will look any better than the set he currently has.

This isn't to say he shouldn't try... but the iPad example doesn't hold up.
Appreciate 2
kjx3203.00
chicagofan0019155.00
      12-12-2022, 06:55 PM   #33
kjx
///M ♥ Recycled Dinosaurs
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M4, BMW X5 45e

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 'Cane View Post
You can just toss the iPad at the nearest Apple Store and you’ll get a new one and be on your way.

A better analogy would be a $3500 65” flat screen that came from across a he country with a scratch that you need to stuff back into its box, and ship. And wait 2 months for a replacement. I’d just negotiate a credit.

Of course, it’s a scale. Cracked screen? Off it goes. No one’s compensating me for time spent chasing perfection, so I have to pick a my battles.
vbb1865.50
Aalfred2619.00
      12-12-2022, 06:58 PM   #34
JDUNITNOW
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335I, 750li, X5 G80

You know it's there now and you got a difference of opinions from us on this forum so it's going to always be in the back of your mind. With the options available, I would ask for a discount and move on and install them. Once you start getting pits in them and you or wife curb a wheel, that inconsistency will be the irrelevant. Install and ask for a discount. Bigger problems to deal with tomorrow....🤔
04 BMW X5
11 BMW 335i convertible (sold, sellers market
Appreciate 2
      12-12-2022, 07:06 PM   #35
MichaelB1969
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 G80 Base SSG/Fiona

I'd just just wait for the BMW rep to look at them. 2 months isn't THAT long. I would DEFINITELY not let anyone repaint them. I assume the factory paint job is baked on and quite robust compared to what a local shop might do, but not 100% sure. In any case, that wouldn't be an option I'd consider personally.

Just put them out of sight so you don't have to look at them everyday and before you know it the BMW rep will be there to look at them.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2022, 07:48 PM   #36
chicagofan00
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by vbb View Post
With the last pics that you posted, and now that I am looking on an actual laptop as opposed to my phone, I can see what you're talking about when you say it looks like overspray when you take those zoomed in pics. I can also understand that because this isn't how they look on BMW's marketing photos (which have probably been edited or touched up just like pretty much every advertisement ever made since digital editing was a thing) you feel like you're not getting your money's worth. I would remind you that while $6K is a lot of money for wheels, there are people that have $100K cars that don't come from the factory absolutely perfect. There can sometimes be subtle panel gaps, weird rattles, suspension not completely balanced... little things that don't make the car junk, but definitely can be noticed. Some people decide to live with those things, others decide to chase the repair/replacement. It's really an individual choice.

For ME, I don't expect perfection in manufactured items. That isn't to say I don't want perfection, it is just that I don't expect it. So with every car and car part I purchase, I have to decide if the things I notice are worth fixing or not, and if those things bother me to the point where I am losing enjoyment of the product. That's a personal call. My point in my earlier reply was that I would be willing to bet that if you ordered a completely new set, you'd see similar imperfections. And what is more frustrating than spending $6K and seeing what you've seen? Spending $6K, going through a 2 month long warranty replacement process [...]
I would agree to a certain extent. Can’t pursue absolute perfection but coming from BMW and being OEM M Performance wheels I would expect pretty close to perfection. However, with confirmation from Dr.Deep that he’s seem very similar to this on 4 different sets of wheels, it does lead me to believe that these are within the tolerances that BMW allows for these specific set of wheels. I would agree that even with a swap I may or may not get the satisfaction I am look for.
Quote:
The photo that showed it prominently is reflective of each of the 4 wheels each at a different spot. I haven’t spent much time with regards to pursuing an swap out at this point, however, I see what you mean and I won’t want to be expending a ton more effort on these. Especially as mentioned above that to some degree it would sound like these may (for some reason or another) be within normal tolerances that BMW sets.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyga11 View Post
Damn those look badass!!!! Your car is going to be a huge cop magnet now

But seriously, I would ask for a discount. I think a 25% discount would be more than fair IMO. They look great and I bet you can't even notice unless you look extremely closely.
Damn, and here I thought I would have gotten the classic “class action” comment from you!

But yes, from a few steps back and in direct sun light it is pretty hard to notice it. It’s now more likely a thing of “I know its there and I’ll of course always notice it when cleaning the wheels”. However after driving 5 miles it is very possible that they’ll be covered in enough brake dust to never even notice it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vbb View Post
You can return the scratched screen iPad and get a new one in about an hour though, or within a day or two if you online shop. And you can be virtually certain the new one won't have a scratched screen.

Here, the OP paid $6K for a set of wheels that looks perfect, just like they do in the pics BMW posts online. The return process could take months and there's no guarantee the new set will look any better than the set he currently has.

This isn't to say he shouldn't try... but the iPad example doesn't hold up.
I wouldn’t say exactly perfect like in the pics from BMW, but is some what close at different angles.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDUNITNOW View Post
You know it's there now and you got a difference of opinions from us on this forum so it's going to always be in the back of your mind. With the options available, I would ask for a discount and move on and install them. Once you start getting pits in them and you or wife curb a wheel, that inconsistency will be the irrelevant. Install and ask for a discount. Bigger problems to deal with tomorrow....🤔
Haha, fair point. Much bigger problems in life for sure! I am starting to agree that a bit of a discount and could move forward with how they are. I am very curious to see how Limegrntaln set turns out when his arrives in the next day or two. That will really help confirm if this is just how they are.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB1969 View Post
I'd just just wait for the BMW rep to look at them. 2 months isn't THAT long. I would DEFINITELY not let anyone repaint them. I assume the factory paint job is baked on and quite robust compared to what a local shop might do, but not 100% sure. In any case, that wouldn't be an option I'd consider personally.

Just put them out of sight so you don't have to look at them everyday and before you know it the BMW rep will be there to look at them.
2 months wouldn’t be the end of the world but as others mentioned, having to wait that long and then for them to be denied a swap and then having to deal with technically being out of the return window with the original retailer would just be salt in the wound. I do agree that I’ll definitely not be pursuing having a shop paint them.

Thanks for all the replies everyone! It’s good to have some other view points and bring a little bit of levity to it all. I didn’t get any response back from GetBMWParts.com today and I’m still open to hearing what they come back with as far as options going forward.

Appreciate 5
Limegrntaln13476.00
vbb1865.50
kjx3203.00
JDUNITNOW3531.00
Dr.Deep1827.00
      12-12-2022, 08:31 PM   #37
MichaelB1969
Captain
Rep

Quote:
However, with confirmation from Dr.Deep that he’s seem very similar to this on 4 different sets of wheels, it does lead me to believe that these are within the tolerances that BMW allows for these specific set of wheels.
Just saw this, which makes me rethink my suggestion to wait. If most seem to be like this, then the odds you'll get what you're looking for are much lower, and it might end up being a situation where you are chasing perfection, which you won't find, and it could be a painful process full of frustration.

I'd probably say that if they look good when you aren't putting them under the proverbial microscope, just go with them and also have the BMW rep look at them. And if he/she agrees they aren't within spec, you can pursue your options from there.

I've certainly been in similar quandaries before, and they've often been incredibly frustrating and time-consuming to deal with. And in most cases, it wasn't worth it.
Appreciate 2
chicagofan0019155.00
Dr.Deep1827.00
      12-12-2022, 08:54 PM   #38
fl1by
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G80, Raptor, STI and C8

I can understand the frustration of the warranty option.

1. Document the faults and contact the West Coast Rep on a joint call with your dealer.

2. If the Rep desires / demands to see them ask him where you can meet him (on their "route") and let him inspect them.

3. Drive with them to the Rep location.

4. Drive them until BMW can replace them (provided the Rep says BMW is at fault).

5. If the Rep say no... You had a great road trip and post pictures!!
Appreciate 1
chicagofan0019155.00
      12-12-2022, 09:01 PM   #39
chicagofan00
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB1969 View Post
Just saw this, which makes me rethink my suggestion to wait. If most seem to be like this, then the odds you'll get what you're looking for are much lower, and it might end up being a situation where you are chasing perfection, which you won't find, and it could be a painful process full of frustration.

I'd probably say that if they look good when you aren't putting them under the proverbial microscope, just go with them and also have the BMW rep look at them. And if he/she agrees they aren't within spec, you can pursue your options from there.

I've certainly been in similar quandaries before, and they've often been incredibly frustrating and time-consuming to deal with. And in most cases, it wasn't worth it.
The more I think about it all and the more I hear you and others say similar I do tend to agree. It could end up being a long frustrating road to only end up in the same spot I am in today.

My only concern with mounting them now and driving on them until the regional rep can see them in two months is, how much will they rely on some excuse that either me driving on them or the cleaners I’ve used to clean them will be at fault.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fl1by View Post
I can understand the frustration of the warranty option.

1. Document the faults and contact the West Coast Rep on a joint call with your dealer.

2. If the Rep desires / demands to see them ask him where you can meet him (on their "route") and let him inspect them.

3. Drive with them to the Rep location.

4. Drive them until BMW can replace them (provided the Rep says BMW is at fault).

5. If the Rep say no... You had a great road trip and post pictures!!
I am always up for a good road trip!

Appreciate 1
      12-12-2022, 09:41 PM   #40
MichaelB1969
Captain
Rep

Quote:
My only concern with mounting them now and driving on them until the regional rep can see them in two months is, how much will they rely on some excuse that either me driving on them or the cleaners I’ve used to clean them will be at fault.
Use this.
Appreciate 1
chicagofan0019155.00
      12-12-2022, 10:10 PM   #41
MarineRaider
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M3

Looking at the wheels in the original thread and now this one reminds me of our OEM wheels, there are so many spokes how many times have we washed them and swore we got everyone of them clean only when moving the car and seeing a spoke covered in brake dust.

I think when these were sprayed that is what happened.

I have the Gunmetal Motorsport M wheels and they are perfect, they have all sorts of nooks etc and it has good coverage which brings me to the other point, this color is hard to cover consistently I believe, it is a lighter color going over a silver...I think that is why the only constant is they are inconsistent.

There is no way you would be able to have these repainted or whatever and get the exact shade BMW did...otherwise they would be able to do it 100% of the time. I believe BMW has more ability and assets than the local shop.

The discount idea, not sure they will eat 25%. I certainly would ask but don't be to disappointed when they just say ship them back. BTW shipping for a dealership that does a lot of internet sales is heavily discounted, not like you and I lugging them to UPS. Probably less than 200 bucks! Versus 25% of 6,000.

Honestly, I would just keep them and see what they will give you to do so. No assurance the replacements wont have issues and then what?

one day of driving with them will make them a darker shade.
Appreciate 2
      12-12-2022, 10:49 PM   #42
chicagofan00
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarineRaider View Post
one day of driving with them will make them a darker shade.
No kidding. One day and the brake dust will probably make the all imperfections disappear.

Appreciate 2
TENPIN330.50
      12-12-2022, 11:47 PM   #43
JDUNITNOW
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335I, 750li, X5 G80

The kicker would be if you waited two months and get another set that's worse than the ones you already have.
04 BMW X5
11 BMW 335i convertible (sold, sellers market
Appreciate 1
chicagofan0019155.00
      12-13-2022, 06:25 AM   #44
BMWRacer523
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 Competition xDrive

Quote:
You can just toss the iPad at the nearest Apple Store and you’ll get a new one and be on your way.

A better analogy would be a $3500 65” flat screen that came from across a he country with a scratch that you need to stuff back into its box, and ship. And wait 2 months for a replacement. I’d just negotiate a credit.

Of course, it’s a scale. Cracked screen? Off it goes. No one’s compensating me for time spent chasing perfection, so I have to pick a my battles.
True. We got a $4000 stove that had a tiny scratch on it but which I did notice (wife did not). Returning would be a major PITA and a 3 month wait, negotiated a discount instead. Don't even remember where the scratch is anymore LOL.
Appreciate 2
kjx3203.00
chicagofan0019155.00