BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics BMW M3 (G80), M4 (G82), CSL and 3.0 CSL General Forum

01-04-2022, 04:02 PM   #155
HNSKP
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 M3 base

Garage List
2021 BMW G80 M3  [8.00]
Daily driver with buckets here. Getting in and out has been much easier since I switched up my technique. To get out, I place my left hand on the doorsill, then push up with the left hand and right leg simultaneously as the left leg swings over the sill and stand up in one motion. You can hold onto the steering wheel with the right hand for stability but I’ve done it with a drink in my hand. Getting in is the same procedure in reverse and I’ve gotten to the point where I can reach behind me for the doorsill without turning my head down.

It takes some practice and a bit of fitness but I’m glad I took a chance on the buckets. Helps it feel more like a SPORT sedan instead of a sport SEDAN.
Appreciate 5
chicagofan0019156.50
Sedan_Clan25120.00
DimM3302.00
RockinPA4854.00
      01-04-2022, 04:43 PM   #156
Mike9865
Rep
Drives: Tesla Model S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramos View Post
Makes sense, I have owned E36, E46 and E90 M3's, never had an issue with traction or putting power down. I didn't realize that has become an issue with the newer F80 and G80 models, but for me even if that was the case, I'd still want the purity and tossability of RWD over the traction of AWD.
The xdrive can be put into 2wd mode. You literally get the best of both worlds. I am incapable of understanding the argument against xdrive, especially not for the reasons you articulated. Xdrive has 4wd, 4wd sport and 2wd modes.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2022, 04:58 PM   #157
WATCHMY6
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: G82

Quote:
Originally Posted by AhsanU View Post
The whole standard seats vs. the bucket seats is, to me at least, about so much more than just comfort. Yes, the buckets will keep you in place better than the standard seats, but I wouldn't tick the bucket seat option just because of the occasional canyon run.

I haven't sat in a G8X with the buckets, and I was still slightly on the fence about the seats, but I've come to terms as to why I really want them and ordered my G80 with them. I am not a thin guy by any means, but I'm willing to sacrifice a lot for a sense of occasion, thrill, and joy whenever I get into, look at, or drive my car.

My G80 M3 will be my daily driver as well. I got the buckets because I absolutely adore the way the seats look. Every time someone posts a picture of their G8X with the buckets, I'm left in amazement as to how bloody good it looks. Not knocking on the standard seats, but the buckets add a new dimension of looks to me; it distinguishes the interior vs. a bog standard 3 series. I don't care that the general public doesn't know the difference between an M3 and a 330d, but looking at the seats and knowing that my M3 has something in it that other 3 series BMW's don't makes me feel better about my car. I want to feel special when getting into my M3, and the buckets do a lot to help achieve that. I'm willing to live with the pains of ingress and egress if it means I feel special when I'm driving it or looking at it. And passengers - that's a tricky subject to be honest. My wife asked how comfortable the seats will be and I said "absolutely uncomfortable, but it's damned sexy and I like it." She laughed, said our families will enjoy poking us through the holes in the seat like my old F80 ZCP, and understood the reason for my choice. Besides, your passengers probably aren't paying for your car, so it's great that you're considering their feelings, but you should take yours into account first and foremost. As long as my wife was okay with it, I was always going to get it.

This is, of course, my specific opinion and feelings about them. Some of us are a bit older and would like more comfort, and some of us would rather put that money towards mods, etc. but ultimately it comes down to what the car means to you, how you plan to use it, and what you're willing to sacrifice.

I got Dakar Yellow exterior with Ivory White full interior with the buckets, and seeing it on the configurator made me go "hell freakin' yes". To each his/her own, but my banana themed G80 is going to put a smile on my face as I row my own gears in uncomfortable bucket seats.
Those seats are 🔥… I'm waiting on my twilight purple with those seats.. I can't wait
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2022, 05:18 PM   #158
Dhillon63
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2022 X5 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike9865 View Post
Quote:
Makes sense, I have owned E36, E46 and E90 M3's, never had an issue with traction or putting power down. I didn't realize that has become an issue with the newer F80 and G80 models, but for me even if that was the case, I'd still want the purity and tossability of RWD over the traction of AWD.
The xdrive can be put into 2wd mode. You literally get the best of both worlds. I am incapable of understanding the argument against xdrive, especially not for the reasons you articulated. Xdrive has 4wd, 4wd sport and 2wd modes.
iTs hEaviEr 🥴
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2022, 05:21 PM   #159
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Originally Posted by HNSKP View Post
Daily driver with buckets here. Getting in and out has been much easier since I switched up my technique. To get out, I place my left hand on the doorsill, then push up with the left hand and right leg simultaneously as the left leg swings over the sill and stand up in one motion. You can hold onto the steering wheel with the right hand for stability but I've done it with a drink in my hand. Getting in is the same procedure in reverse and I've gotten to the point where I can reach behind me for the doorsill without turning my head down.

It takes some practice and a bit of fitness but I'm glad I took a chance on the buckets. Helps it feel more like a SPORT sedan instead of a sport SEDAN.
Right on!!!!!
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2022, 06:30 PM   #160
m.dreamin
///M
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M4 Competition xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhillon63 View Post
iTs hEaviEr ��
You wouldn't know the difference. Just ask all the G8x drivers who had to stare at my rear end at Laguna Seca. #humble #onlykindofkidding

But seriously folks, watch Joe Achilles video on driving xDrive. I'm personally coming from a lighter F82, and in practical terms this new g82 platform even with AWD (and my mandatory moonroof) is far more nimble than the previous generation. And if that's not good enough, this xDrive being rear-wheel biased means it still feels like RWD.

Here's one of the best parts of his review (skip to around 14:20):

Appreciate 0
      01-04-2022, 07:21 PM   #161
Ramos
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20 2020 M340

Quote:
Quote:
And a lot of unnecessary weight to boot!
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2022, 07:15 AM   #162
JCZ5
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 (G05)

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_travers View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhillon63 View Post
iTs hEaviEr ��
You wouldn't know the difference. Just ask all the G8x drivers who had to stare at my rear end at Laguna Seca. #humble #onlykindofkidding

But seriously folks, watch Joe Achilles video on driving xDrive. I'm personally coming from a lighter F82, and in practical terms this new g82 platform even with AWD (and my mandatory moonroof) is far more nimble than the previous generation. And if that's not good enough, this xDrive being rear-wheel biased means it still feels like RWD.

Here's one of the best parts of his review (skip to around 14:20):

I agree with you, most people would not notice the weight difference driving regularly or around the canyons. On track, again I'm not a good enough driver where this would make a difference. In fact, I have a whole list of other skills to develop before even considering weight savings as the next step. And if that was the case, I would sure as hell buy a lighter track car rather lying to myself the M3C is the end all be all track weapon. After all, the M3 was initially designed as a compromised car to support track fun, while being a great daily.

Honestly, it just comes down to people's ego. A racing driver will drive a base 3 series quicker on track and street than I can with a M3. But people want the M3 because it is a M, blah blah. Not faulting them because that is also me 😝
      01-05-2022, 03:36 PM   #163
Sunnystone
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G80 M3C

Quote:
I really cant see that there is an argument. More grip, more performance more flexibility. Its also rear biased and if not rear biased enough switch it to 2WD.

My own M3C is RWD and is hardly slow nor lacks grip but id definitely choose xdrive if I wasnt so impatient.

I dont need AWD as this thing is beyond being too fast already in RWD, stupidly so tbh. But no. It would be so I can say Ive got AWD and a machine that given the right weather/surface can do 0-60 in under 3secs. Not that id ever need it of course!

Last edited by Sunnystone; 01-05-2022 at 03:42 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2022, 09:51 PM   #164
m.dreamin
///M
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M4 Competition xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCZ5 View Post
I agree with you, most people would not notice the weight difference driving regularly or around the canyons. On track, again I'm not a good enough driver where this would make a difference. In fact, I have a whole list of other skills to develop before even considering weight savings as the next step. And if that was the case, I would sure as hell buy a lighter track car rather lying to myself the M3C is the end all be all track weapon. After all, the M3 was initially designed as a compromised car to support track fun, while being a great daily.

Honestly, it just comes down to people's ego. A racing driver will drive a base 3 series quicker on track and street than I can with a M3. But people want the M3 because it is a M, blah blah. Not faulting them because that is also me 😝
Agreed. With or without the moonroof, I very likely can't tell the difference. If I was chasing track lap times, I'd probably want a more track-focused car that was light as hell, including the driver going on a massive diet to iron away any "extra" weight I may have. But I suspect 98.7% of M car owners can't tell the difference of the weight gains/losses.

I mean, consider two scenarios: I'm 5' 10" @ 170 lbs, bought carbon bucket seats and carbon ceramic brakes, got the xDrive, and also opted for the moonroof.

What if a 6' 4" person @ 220 lbs gets in their non-moonroof, non-xDrive, heavy iron brakes + heavier standard seats. The weight and center of gravity differences between these two scenarios will matter only to perhaps the Stig...on a track...on a dry day...at sea level...with new tires...provided they had a good night's sleep.
Appreciate 1
JCZ51483.50
      01-05-2022, 11:13 PM   #165
chicagofan00
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 M60i

Garage List
2024 BMW X5 M60i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjx View Post
Installed the WeatherTech mat, and replaced the branding with an after-market M logo. The middle color in the logo is wrong (or rather is what the M logo started off as several decades back), but it's fine otherwise and an improvement over the WeatherTech logo. The other two colors are accurate in real life and not like how the photo turned out.

I was wary of getting a BMW trunk mat after historical experience with thick mats that reduce valuable trunk space.
Wrong thread? 🤷🏻

Current - 2024 G05 X5 ///M60i in Java Green
Past - 2005 E53 X5 3.0i in Titanium Silver; 2008 E92 335i in Montego Blue; 2019 G01 X3 M40i in Glacier Silver; 2022 G80 M3 Competition in Twilight Purple
Appreciate 1
      01-05-2022, 11:14 PM   #166
kjx
///M ♥ Recycled Dinosaurs
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M4, BMW X5 45e

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagofan00 View Post
Wrong thread? ����
This is obviously the wrong thread. I had posted this first in what I thought was the right thread, and then wondered if I had imagined posting it because it didn't show up. Not sure if it's me or the forum. Probably me. Deleted that message.
chicagofan0019156.50
      01-11-2022, 03:47 AM   #167
FoxyP
Private
Rep
Drives: Vovo V60 P*

Anyone here with small kids that have the buckets and can tell me whta their experience is? I am in the market for the M3 Touring and love the seats, always have been a „seats-guy“ and normally there wouldnt be a question. But having a 3 and a 6 year old makes me think twice…
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2022, 05:22 AM   #168
evanescent03
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '24 M3 CS; '22 GT4

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron.ricci View Post
Hey Team!

Just placed an order an m4 comp xdrive build! One thing I didn't consider was the beautiful bucket seats M has to offer.

Reason being is this as this will my one and only daily driver in busy San Diego.

"Fitting" into the seat is not my main concern but more so transitioning in and out of the car over the bolsters, traffic and longer drives, and my .01% empathy for any lady passenger me in place??

I do plan on fully experiencing the AWD thrill hauling this thing into some bends, so my one and my only concern is - are the standard seats compromised with a lack of keeping one in place? Am I over thinking this? Any advise is greatly appreciated from those in standard seats! Thank you all!
They're all a compromise until you're in a fixed racing bucket with harness strapping you down to completely immobilize yourself.

Get the regular seats and cinch your belt down (move your seat back a little from where you normally sit, pull your Buckle all the way out so it's locked and then buckle it… then slide your chair back to normal position and it'll lock you in pretty good).

Then of course don't drive too crazy on public roads … go do a track day to really see what she'll do!

Appreciate 0
      01-11-2022, 07:05 AM   #169
modat
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 IOMG M3 Xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by evanescent03 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron.ricci View Post
Hey Team!

Just placed an order an m4 comp xdrive build! One thing I didn't consider was the beautiful bucket seats M has to offer.

Reason being is this as this will my one and only daily driver in busy San Diego.

"Fitting" into the seat is not my main concern but more so transitioning in and out of the car over the bolsters, traffic and longer drives, and my .01% empathy for any lady passenger me in place??

I do plan on fully experiencing the AWD thrill hauling this thing into some bends, so my one and my only concern is - are the standard seats compromised with a lack of keeping one in place? Am I over thinking this? Any advise is greatly appreciated from those in standard seats! Thank you all!
They're all a compromise until you're in a fixed racing bucket with harness strapping you down to completely immobilize yourself.

Get the regular seats and cinch your belt down (move your seat back a little from where you normally sit, pull your Buckle all the way out so it's locked and then buckle it… then slide your chair back to normal position and it'll lock you in pretty good).

Then of course don't drive too crazy on public roads … go do a track day to really see what she'll do!
These seats are like high heels.

You may be miserable in the them but, damn do they look good
Appreciate 2
      01-11-2022, 07:25 AM   #170
ROBERT1183
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M3 DRAVIT GREY 6SPEED

Quote:
Originally Posted by modat View Post
These seats are like high heels.

You may be miserable in the them but, damn do they look good
Thats exactly what I say lol. Pain is beauty. I love my seats. Its not graceful getting in and out but once your in theyre very comfortable. They are one of, if not the hottest Oem seats. Its not like the carbon exterior pack that you could just add later down the road.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-11-2022, 07:27 AM   #171
modat
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 IOMG M3 Xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxyP View Post
Anyone here with small kids that have the buckets and can tell me whta their experience is? I am in the market for the M3 Touring and love the seats, always have been a „seats-guy“ and normally there wouldnt be a question. But having a 3 and a 6 year old makes me think twice…
I have 2 small kids- 1 and 4. I dont anticipate they will ride in the m3 that often but, I bought seat back protectors just in case.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2022, 08:33 AM   #172
chicagofan00
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxyP View Post
I daily drive my M3 with the carbon buckets and have a 4 & 7 year old. I do daily drop off and pickups at school, etc. Definitely no issues with comfort at all.

Ingress/egress is a bit awkward but really isn't that big of a deal. I guess my only complaint about it is that it is difficult to get out with anything in your hands. I help push myself up and out of the seats with one hand on the steering wheel and the other on the door sill in hopes of trying to reduce wear and tear on the side bolsters.

Past - 2005 E53 X5 3.0i in Titanium Silver; 2008 E92 335i in Montego Blue; 2019 G01 X3 M40i in Glacier Silver; 2022 G80 M3 Competition in Twilight Purple
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2022, 09:15 AM   #173
Greer
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 M5 Competition

Quote:
Ingress/egress is a bit awkward but really isn't that big of a deal. I guess my only complaint about it is that it is difficult to get out with anything in your hands
Well, this seems to be the overwhelming feedback.
2014 F10 M5 Competition
2003 E39 M5
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2022, 09:22 AM   #174
chicagofan00
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greer View Post
Quote:
Ingress/egress is a bit awkward but really isn't that big of a deal. I guess my only complaint about it is that it is difficult to get out with anything in your hands
Well, this seems to be the overwhelming feedback.
I think it gets made out to be a bigger deal than it really is.

I'd describe it more in the fact that you need to get in and out with a bit more intention and be purposeful with your movements rather than any other car that you are used to getting in and out of without ever giving it a second thought. And even then, it's really only in the very beginning and after the first couple of weeks it is second nature.

The only time it's a major pain in the ass is in very tight parking situations where you can barely open the door.

Appreciate 0
      01-11-2022, 10:01 AM   #175
amuk
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Lexus RX350

As far as driving feel, do the buckets mostly just help in seating position and hugging you in place, or do they also help you feel what the chassis is doing more (during daily driving, not on track)?
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2022, 10:13 AM   #176
ano0oj
Captain
Rep
Drives: '22 M3 AWD, '23 Macan S

Local dealer had a used M4 with carbon buckets, and finally had a chance to sit in them. Let's just say, they're definitely not for me as a daily driver. The side bolsters were hard, and overall I felt like it completely took away from the little bit of comfort an M3 provides.

If this was a weekend car for me, the bucket seats would 100% be part of the build.
Appreciate 0