BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics BMW M3 (G80), M4 (G82), CSL and 3.0 CSL General Forum

04-12-2022, 04:14 PM   #1
boss2k
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C

Test drove a G82 Comp X drive

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
Fortunate to test drive a used G83 Competition X drive convertible today at my local dealer, great car and very very fast. Observations/ questions

1. The shifts are so fast but the ZF transmission is jerky specially at very low speeds when you are trying to pull safely in a garage.

2. Suspension is nice and not very stiff even in sports mode

3. Fit and finish is excellent

4. The convertible is 500 pounds heavier than a coupe even with a soft top? But the car does not feel its weight due to the massive power

5. Do they come with front cameras? The one i drove didnt have the parking assistance package , so i only saw front sensors beeping but no camera

6. Seats are super comfortable

7. I noticed the exhaust sound changes from efficient to sports, so the valves open ? why do you need the extra button on the console which i observed does make the exhaust sound louder?

8. Too many options/ controls which can be confusing, example who would want brake feel in comfort mode vs sports mode, you want brakes to be sharp all the time.

Last edited by boss2k; 04-12-2022 at 09:24 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2022, 04:21 PM   #2
kjx
///M ♥ Recycled Dinosaurs
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M4, BMW X5 45e

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by boss2k View Post
1. The shifts are so fast but the ZF transmission is jerky specially at very low speeds when you are trying to pull safely in a garage.
You may have this in Sports or Sports+ modes. You shouldn't have it in Comfort, but a car that's been abused (driven hard without warming up engine and transmission fully) may exhibit jerkiness even in Comfort.

Quote:
5. Do they come with front cameras? The one i drove didnt have the parking assistance package , so i only saw front sensors beeping but no camera
You get it with the parking assistance package. Front and all around cameras.

Quote:
7. I noticed the exhaust sound changes from efficient to sports, so the valves open ? why do you need the extra button on the console which i observed does make the exhaust sound louder?
Comfort to Sports to Sport+, increases (real) exhaust noise in stages. It also does the same thing with the fake exhaust noise (which can be coded out).

The specific exhaust button is only really meant to quiet down the exhaust further when you don't want to wake up your neighbors at odd hours.
      04-12-2022, 04:29 PM   #3
boss2k
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjx View Post

The specific exhaust button is only really meant to quiet down the exhaust further when you don't want to wake up your neighbors at odd hours.
Can you explain more, so if the car is on sports or sports + pressing the exhaust button will not increase the exhaust sound ? Only it is meant to quieten the exhaust ? Even when i was driving in sports or sports + pressing the button made the exhaust loud. Also does it mean i can drive in Efficient mode and have the valves open by using that button?
      04-12-2022, 04:35 PM   #4
yousefnjr
salty cowboys fan
Rep
Drives: ‘06 Z4MR, ‘20 X7, ‘22 M4x

I really enjoy using that exhaust button to quiet things down while on the freeway. Stops the drone while cruising. I’m getting old I guess.

Shifts are a lot smoother in comfort mode.
      04-12-2022, 04:45 PM   #5
dJt3xtbook
Private
Rep
Drives: 2021 G82

What's a G82 convertible? I thought it was only the G83 that was convertible.
Appreciate 2
2011ninja3403.50
      04-12-2022, 04:46 PM   #6
boss2k
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dJt3xtbook View Post
What's a G82 convertible? I thought it was only the G83 that was convertible.
You are right, its my bad
      04-12-2022, 05:16 PM   #7
bri1042
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2021 IOMG M3 6MT

Which seats did it have? The base sport seats or the carbon buckets?
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2022, 05:26 PM   #8
M4CompConv/X7
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 Comp Conv & BMW X7

Quote:
Originally Posted by bri1042 View Post
Which seats did it have? The base sport seats or the carbon buckets?
He said they were comfortable, so must have been the Sports Seats.
Appreciate 3
boss2k1109.00
Pprior423.50
      04-12-2022, 06:34 PM   #9
kjx
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Can you explain more, so if the car is on sports or sports + pressing the exhaust button will not increase the exhaust sound ? Only it is meant to quieten the exhaust ? Even when i was driving in sports or sports + pressing the button made the exhaust loud. Also does it mean i can drive in Efficient mode and have the valves open by using that button?
When the light is off, it quietens the exhaust in all modes. But it's predominantly meant for usage (button off) where you want it as quiet as possible. It's a little weird if someone's driving around in Sports+ with the exhaust quietened a bit.

I think of normal usage combinations like this:
Off, Comfort [as quiet as possible; think hospitals, late at night]
On, Comfort [normal]
On, Sport
On, Sports+

You could do Off, Sport... but why?? Racing to a hospital?
boss2k1109.00
      04-12-2022, 09:22 PM   #10
boss2k
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
When the light is off, it quietens the exhaust in all modes. But it's predominantly meant for usage (button off) where you want it as quiet as possible. It's a little weird if someone's driving around in Sports+ with the exhaust quietened a bit.

I think of normal usage combinations like this:
Off, Comfort [as quiet as possible; think hospitals, late at night]
On, Comfort [normal]
On, Sport
On, Sports+

You could do Off, Sport... but why?? Racing to a hospital?
Oh thanks for the info, i thought putting the button on opens up the valves just like the mild2wild switch i have in my vette
      04-12-2022, 09:23 PM   #11
boss2k
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M4CompConv/X7 View Post
He said they were comfortable, so must have been the Sports Seats.
Yeah regular sports seats
      04-12-2022, 09:30 PM   #12
kjx
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Oh thanks for the info, i thought putting the button on opens up the valves just like the mild2wild switch i have in my vette
Button on = valves open = louder.
Button off (light off) = valves closed = softer.

But, even with the button on, the exhaust sounds (on the outside) progressively louder in each successive mode (Comfort to Sport to Sports+).

On cars that don't have the artificial interior noises coded out, it also turns on and off the artificial noises ("active sound design) in parallel with the exhaust valves. I have it coded out because it's a stupid drone that cannot be heard outside the car and sounds bad. The pure exhaust notes are good enough for me.

Switching from Sports to Sports+ changes the note on the outside of the car enough that people camping in the passing lane somewhat ahead of me move aside soon after the switch with no other input on my part (speed change or throttle input). It's happened consistently enough that I know the difference is audible 6-8 car lengths ahead at highway speeds.
boss2k1109.00
YamaLink425.00
262Hou49.00
      04-13-2022, 07:33 AM   #13
MCM4
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 GMC AT4

Quote:

But, even with the button on, the exhaust sounds (on the outside) progressively louder in each successive mode (Comfort to Sport to Sports+).

On cars that don't have the artificial interior noises coded out, it also turns on and off the artificial noises ("active sound design) in parallel with the exhaust valves. I have it coded out because it's a stupid drone that cannot be heard outside the car and sounds bad. The pure exhaust notes are good enough for me.

Switching from Sports to Sports+ changes the note on the outside of the car enough that people camping in the passing lane somewhat ahead of me move aside soon after the switch with no other input on my part (speed change or throttle input). It's happened consistently enough that I know the difference is audible 6-8 car lengths ahead at highway speeds.
Very clear reply. Thank you.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2022, 10:43 AM   #14
boss2k
Colonel
Rep

Quote:

So the button keeps the valves open but it will sound ( loudness) based on the mode you are on? Is there a way to keep the exhaust note on sports plus all the time (Loudest) when button is "ON" irrespective of the driving mode?
      04-13-2022, 10:55 AM   #15
'Cane
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Aventurin/SS G82 xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:

So the button keeps the valves open but it will sound ( loudness) based on the mode you are on? Is there a way to keep the exhaust note on sports plus all the time (Loudest) when button is "ON" irrespective of the driving mode?
From the owners manual
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-13-2022, 11:21 AM   #16
kjx
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Not that I know of. The full drama of Sport+ also includes burbles from how the car decides to use the rev range and how it modulates the abruptness of the shifts. Aside from the basic difference you can hear outside the car in idle between the different modes.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2022, 06:09 PM   #17
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G82 M4C X-Drive

Garage List
2022 G82 M4C X-Drive  [9.85]
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.87]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
Quote:
Fortunate to test drive a used G83 Competition X drive convertible today at my local dealer, great car and very very fast. Observations/ questions

Just always go fast, WOT headfirst into your garage then slam on the ABS.

jk

I program the M1 button for Level 1 shifting and sport throttle. Makes it nice and smooth. It's good for parking lots and traffic.
M2 is for when I want to go fast on the open road and beyond.

Quote:
No, you need the Parking Assist package or whatever it's called for the cameras. Sensors works fine for me. Rear camera is standard across the board thank goodness.

Quote:
It's so you can have a nice sounding exhaust even while in efficient mode without having to use one of you M buttons. So when you start your car, you can keep the efficient default mode, but still wake up the exhaust for that aural pleasure.

Quote:
8. Too many options/ controls which can be confusing, example who would want brake feel in comfort mode vs sports mode, you want brakes to be sharp all the time.
Brake modulation for some race pads are easier in comfort. It's the same way comfort in steering is actually the most popular option for track days, but some people want heavier steering on the street for some reason .

2022 G82///M4 Competition X-Drive - KW-HAS, EBC Bluestuff, Millway Race Camber Plates, Cup2 Connect*, PSI High Flow Midpipe, Lightweight Front Lip, M Perf Flow Through Wing
Previous • 2018 F80 ///M3 CS • 2016 F80 ///M3
IG: Raging_G82
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2022, 09:01 PM   #18
boss2k
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmg View Post
Just always go fast, WOT headfirst into your garage then slam on the ABS.

jk

I program the M1 button for Level 1 shifting and sport throttle. Makes it nice and smooth. It's good for parking lots and traffic.
M2 is for when I want to go fast on the open road and beyond.

It doesn't apply to me as i drive a manual and control with the clutch
bri10425971.00