BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
Technical Sections Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in | Oil & Fluids | Servicing | TSB | Recalls

12-21-2023, 05:01 PM   #1
ntran90
Private
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M3

Garage List
Engine Lugging

Sooo....anyone accidently tried lugging their engine? My dumbass today was driving conservatively merging on the highway and decided to switch to M2 settings while at 8th gear and forgot it was in manual mode. So I didn't down shift and was wondering why the fuck is the RPM not moving at all...did my ECU protect the car from my dumbassery and prevent the engine from trying to rev up? It maintain my current speed fine, just prevented any additional acceleration.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2023, 06:33 PM   #2
christianb5s4
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Built 2001 Audi S4

You're fine, the engine just can't produce enough power at that load to accelerate significantly.
Needsdecaf6599.00
stormlv932.00
      12-30-2023, 09:44 PM   #3
kjx
///M ♥ Recycled Dinosaurs
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M4, BMW X5 45e

Garage List
At least this is better than the opposite. Accelerating hard in first gear without realizing it is in manual mode, and then suddenly bouncing against the rev limiter.

The time lag between you thinking why the engine is revving higher than you expect and the limiter hitting is so small that the realization sinking in and the rev limiter bouncing happens at exactly the same time.

I cannot deny I'd done this twice in my previous car. You cannot forget the shame you feel as you sheepishly shift up.
stormlv932.00
      12-30-2023, 10:35 PM   #4
showmatic
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW M4 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjx View Post
At least this is better than the opposite. Accelerating hard in first gear without realizing it is in manual mode, and then suddenly bouncing against the rev limiter.

The time lag between you thinking why the engine is revving higher than you expect and the limiter hitting is so small that the realization sinking in and the rev limiter bouncing happens at exactly the same time.

I cannot deny I'd done this twice in my previous car. You cannot forget the shame you feel as you sheepishly shift up.
Only had my car about a month and I've already done it.....
Appreciate 1
kjx3197.00
      01-22-2024, 05:22 PM   #5
ntran90
Private
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjx View Post

Didn't even thinking about this silvering lining
Appreciate 0