BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
Technical Sections Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in | Oil & Fluids | Servicing | TSB | Recalls

02-01-2024, 09:49 AM   #1
nashtyboy
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Manually reset oil service required?

Heya, I don't put a ton of miles on my M3, I think I'm at 4500 or so, and I'm at my 1 year mark. The car is yelling at me to go in for service, but I already did the 1k oil change and I figure I'm good for a while longer, no? Is there any way to reset the oil service warnings that pop up every time I get in the car?
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2024, 10:38 AM   #2
SwankPeRFection
Captain
Rep
Drives: S4

If the car was new and you did your break-in at 1200 or 1k as you said, go ahead and go in at 5k and get it done. The second change of oil on these engines will get the rest of the initial break-in oil residue and reminisces and you can have the piece of mind that it was one. Besides, you’re gonna wanna do 5k changes anyway, unless you drive like a grandma or don’t care to keep the engine in tip top shape forever. What’s it costing you? Nothing if you’re letting the dealership do it. And that 0-30 oil isn’t all that anyway, so it’s a really good idea to change it even more often.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2024, 10:51 AM   #3
Lupeskew
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 24 BMW M4 G83 IOMG

Time is as much of a factor as mileage for oil changes. Even if you don't drive it a bunch doesn't mean you shouldn't change the oil every year at least.
Appreciate 1
ArnoPCB118.50
      02-01-2024, 03:14 PM   #4
Berzerker
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2024 M4 Convertible

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by nashtyboy View Post
Heya, I don't put a ton of miles on my M3, I think I'm at 4500 or so, and I'm at my 1 year mark. The car is yelling at me to go in for service, but I already did the 1k oil change and I figure I'm good for a while longer, no? Is there any way to reset the oil service warnings that pop up every time I get in the car?
Not a bad idea to get it changed at 5k anyway regardless of time.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2024, 03:22 PM   #5
kjx
///M ♥ Recycled Dinosaurs
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M4, BMW X5 45e

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by nashtyboy View Post
You should do it whenever the car asks to keep your warranty intact. All these messages are sent up through telemetry to BMW.

And the oil change at the one year mark is not a gimmick - oil degrades too. Not sure what the issue is given the entire thing is free.
      02-02-2024, 03:05 AM   #6
stormlv
Human
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: Yes

It's annoying that in CH the interval for change (for both my old F82 and the new G82) are 2 years / 18.5k miles.

I'm at 6.2k miles and I did a bit of track use, so I'm going to change it in a bit, that said - do you have any insight into why that's more often in the US?
2010 BMW Z4 sDrive35i DKG | 306 HP / 400Nm | Space Gray | Photo album
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2024, 08:27 AM   #7
Ximian
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
2021 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormlv View Post
It's annoying that in CH the interval for change (for both my old F82 and the new G82) are 2 years / 18.5k miles.

I'm at 6.2k miles and I did a bit of track use, so I'm going to change it in a bit, that said - do you have any insight into why that's more often in the US?
Specifically for BMW and not other manufacturers -

Northern Europe sees extremely cold temperatures that northern US does. South eastern or western Europe sees close to the extreme heat that the southern US does. The same formulation of engine oil is used on both continents. If anything, trips in Europe are shorter and at slower speeds compared to the US which contributes to decreased oil quality so shorter oil change intervals should be recommended. It has also been said that the US has shorter recommended oil change intervals so dealerships can get more business, which doesn't apply since maintenance costs are fully covered for the first three or so years. This works against European oil change intervals because it could be said that they are too high to make the cars seem cheaper to own than it should - as maintenance costs aren't covered. Those points cover the usual explanations of why we have shorter oil change intervals but doesn't entirely apply here.

I think it mostly comes down to people in the US thinking about or complaining about manufacturers intentionally trying to destroy engines with extended oil change intervals so they can sell more cars. There is a perception that more expensive vehicles should be a bit more work to maintain while cheaper vehicles should be opposite because they are "cheap and low quality."

To summarize, nobody really knows the exact reason for the difference.
      02-02-2024, 10:35 AM   #8
G80indy
Save the Manuals
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z3, E46, G80

Here you go….
reset oil
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2024, 11:50 AM   #9
forcefed
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: .

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormlv View Post
do you have any insight into why that's more often in the US?
We have shitty gas here.
Appreciate 1
stormlv932.00
      02-03-2024, 07:24 AM   #10
stormlv
Human
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ximian View Post
Specifically for BMW and not other manufacturers -

Northern Europe sees extremely cold temperatures that northern US does. South eastern or western Europe sees close to the extreme heat that the southern US does. The same formulation of engine oil is used on both continents. If anything, trips in Europe are shorter and at slower speeds compared to the US which contributes to decreased oil quality so shorter oil change intervals should be recommended. It has also been said that the US has shorter recommended oil change intervals so dealerships can get more business, which doesn't apply since maintenance costs are fully covered for the first three or so years. This works against European oil change intervals because it could be said that they are too high to make the cars seem cheaper to own than it should - as maintenance costs aren't covered. Those points cover the usual explanations of why we have shorter oil change intervals but doesn't entirely apply here.

I think it mostly comes down to people in the US thinking about or complaining about manufacturers intentionally trying to destroy engines with extended oil change intervals so they can sell more cars. There is a perception that more expensive vehicles should be a bit more work to maintain while cheaper vehicles should be opposite because they are "cheap and low quality."

To summarize, nobody really knows the exact reason for the difference.
Man, in any case, thanks for taking the time to try to explain.
Appreciate it!
2010 BMW Z4 sDrive35i DKG | 306 HP / 400Nm | Space Gray | Photo album
Appreciate 1
Ximian1919.00
      02-03-2024, 04:50 PM   #11
Ximian
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
2021 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by forcefed View Post
We have shitty gas here.
That's not true outside of poorly maintained gas stations. The quality of gas is about the same. Although parts of Europe have more octane options, that isn't the same thing as quality.