BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics BMW M3 (G80), M4 (G82), CSL and 3.0 CSL General Forum

09-18-2022, 02:28 PM   #397
kjx
///M ♥ Recycled Dinosaurs
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M4, BMW X5 45e

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by G MONEY View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by danf72 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjx View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerExcessive View Post
Can anyone who has driven both comment on the steering and frontend feel? It's pretty wet up here in PNW so I like the idea of the AWD capabilities, but this is a weekend car so I don't need all-weather assurance and I would not be willing to sacrifice driving feel in favor of traction.
There is no sacrifice in driving feel. There were only RWD cars being produced and available for test drives when I ordered one of the first 'sight unseen' AWD, and there is no difference. Just yesterday in the rain, without intending it I could feel the rear slip in a 90 degree right turn. It's a RWD car until the car detects it is losing traction and then it sends it to the front. It is insane how it accelerates - you can feel all four tires grabbing. Even AWD in the wet with heavy throttle can have not enough traction with traction control kicking in. RWD would be a bad choice for a car this powerful even in the dry.

The only reason to get RWD is if you want a manual. Or if $4k breaks the bank (but I'd argue an M car is not a great financial decision then).
This is really interesting. The AWD will clearly have more grip, especially when it's wet. But with heavy throttle in the wet with DSC and traction control on a RWD, you will just be slower. You still won't spin or get spit out into a wall because the RWD car's traction control/DSC will slow the rear to bring the tail back in. Correct? What I'm trying to confirm is that AWD is really a performance feature at the edge of grip rather than a safety feature. (Snow and ice is a different story.)
Zero zero zero to do with safety.
If the car protects you from landing in the ditch when you're extracting the most out of it, it is both a performance feature and a safety feature.

My last 435i GC (RWD) with all traction nannies on once tried to put me into the wall on curving highway on ramp due to oversteer from losing traction in the rear. Counter-steer and reverse counter steer after that saved it. But it was a seat of the pants thing. And that was just a 300 HP car with wide track handling package wheels/tires at the rear.

That I can slide the M4 with all nannies on and then have the front end kick in if the car detects it's not doing what I'm indicating with my steering and throttle inputs means I'm more protected.

Safety and performance envelopes are not unrelated things.
      09-18-2022, 02:59 PM   #398
G MONEY
Major
Rep
Drives: 2017 458/ YAS m4

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by G MONEY View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerExcessive View Post
Can anyone who has driven both comment on the steering and frontend feel? It's pretty wet up here in PNW so I like the idea of the AWD capabilities, but this is a weekend car so I don't need all-weather assurance and I would not be willing to sacrifice driving feel in favor of traction.
There is no sacrifice in driving feel. There were only RWD cars being produced and available for test drives when I ordered one of the first 'sight unseen' AWD, and there is no difference. Just yesterday in the rain, without intending it I could feel the rear slip in a 90 degree right turn. It's a RWD car until the car detects it is losing traction and then it sends it to the front. It is insane how it accelerates - you can feel all four tires grabbing. Even AWD in the wet with heavy throttle can have not enough traction with traction control kicking in. RWD would be a bad choice for a car this powerful even in the dry.

The only reason to get RWD is if you want a manual. Or if $4k breaks the bank (but I'd argue an M car is not a great financial decision then).
This is really interesting. The AWD will clearly have more grip, especially when it's wet. But with heavy throttle in the wet with DSC and traction control on a RWD, you will just be slower. You still won't spin or get spit out into a wall because the RWD car's traction control/DSC will slow the rear to bring the tail back in. Correct? What I'm trying to confirm is that AWD is really a performance feature at the edge of grip rather than a safety feature. (Snow and ice is a different story.)
Zero zero zero to do with safety.
If the car protects you from landing in the ditch when you're extracting the most out of it, it is both a performance feature and a safety feature.

My last 435i GC (RWD) with all traction nannies on once tried to put me into the wall on curving highway on ramp due to oversteer from losing traction in the rear. Counter-steer and reverse counter steer after that saved it. But it was a seat of the pants thing. And that was just a 300 HP car with wide track handling package wheels/tires at the rear.

That I can slide the M4 with all nannies on and then have the front end kick in if the car detects it's not doing what I'm indicating with my steering and throttle inputs means I'm more protected.

Safety and performance envelopes are not unrelated things.
Ok
Appreciate 1
wavyyyy1045.50
      09-18-2022, 03:25 PM   #399
Psychos1s
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M3 50 Jahre Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAutM3 View Post
From a dig, AWD will be faster, without a doubt. However, from a roll, good chances are the RWD will be faster due to the added weight and drivetrain loss/inertia of the AWD. Around a dry track, RWD will likely also have an edge due that lower weight and better weight distribution.
This is really going to depend on the track. The xDrive version is 2 seconds faster on the Nurburgring and EVO did a test rwd/awd on the same track/same conditions and once again the xDrive was faster.

On an oval track (Nascar style) or a long straight away, the RWD would be faster eventually but in my opinion AWD is the way to go. Especially since you can turn it off for playing around.

Sources:
Nurburgring times: 7:28:57 vs 7:30:79 https://fastestlaps.com/tracks/nordschleife
EVO @ 6:50min mark (very end)

2023 G80 ///M3 Competition xDrive 50 Jahre Edition • Ordered 5/4/22 • Delivered 9/23/22
Previous • 2017 F80///M3 zCP • Instagram: MRated.M3 • 2023 ///M3 50 Jahre Edition | The Journey to Ownership

Last edited by Psychos1s; 09-18-2022 at 03:30 PM..
Appreciate 3
Allerum315.50
02M3ForMe4261.50
      09-18-2022, 04:22 PM   #400
Allerum
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 23 M3C X-Drive

Quote:
Yes this is a performance feature. It's 2 seconds faster on the ring. It's also faster in Every track it was tested on. Awd is the highest performance version. This gap also gets bigger if you tune it. There should only be manual and awd versions.
Appreciate 1
bmwdrive464.00
      09-18-2022, 04:37 PM   #401
vj123
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3c - sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allerum View Post
There should only be manual and awd versions.
We should be happy that BMW is offering competition rwd trim. As a customer, i want options and dont like OEMs forcing things on me. There is still a good chunk of people who prefer the competition version and BMW would have cancelled it a while ago if isnt making business sense.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2022, 04:51 PM   #402
PLF69
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by vj123 View Post
We should be happy that BMW is offering competition rwd trim. As a customer, i want options and dont like OEMs forcing things on me. There is still a good chunk of people who prefer the competition version and BMW would have cancelled it a while ago if isnt making business sense.
They cancelled it for 2023 in Canada, I guess almost everyone wanted the AWD for our winters. And for the rest the 6MT is still available.
Daily/Family: 2021 Atlas Cross Sport 3.6
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2022, 05:01 PM   #403
vj123
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3c - sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLF69 View Post
They cancelled it for 2023 in Canada, I guess almost everyone wanted the AWD for our winters. And for the rest the 6MT is still available.
It makes sense for Canadian market.

UK wasnt fortunate enough to get manual as an option since this platform was launched.
Appreciate 1
PLF693767.50
      09-18-2022, 05:26 PM   #404
M4CompConv/X7
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 Comp Conv & BMW X7

AWD Because I love my convertible.
Appreciate 1
gnx759.50
      09-18-2022, 06:59 PM   #405
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G82 M4C X-Drive

Garage List
2022 G82 M4C X-Drive  [9.85]
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.87]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
I only got the AWD because I wanted to own the first M4 with AWD and wanted to try something new after two RWD M3's.

Upsides:
Traction and grip
Acceleration
Handling

Downsides:
Weight
Limited tire options for <1% difference rolling diameters
All or none tire replacement requirements

2022 G82///M4 Competition X-Drive - KW-HAS, EBC Bluestuff, Millway Race Camber Plates, Cup2 Connect*, PSI High Flow Midpipe, Lightweight Front Lip, M Perf Flow Through Wing
Previous • 2018 F80 ///M3 CS • 2016 F80 ///M3
IG: Raging_G82
Appreciate 1
PLF693767.50
      09-18-2022, 07:29 PM   #406
Multimodal
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 50i, 2018 911 T

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmg View Post
Downsides:
Check out utires.com if you need less than a full set. They have a large inventory/network of used tires which means you can select exactly the tread depth you need. I've bought 3 or 4 tires from them and they've always been in great shape.

If you want to buy new, Tire Rack can shave down tread to your specification.
Archived: 2019 BMW X5 50i M Sport Mineral White/Full Black,2019 Ford GT350 Ford Performance Blue/Dark Slate, 2012 BMW X5 50i Alpine White/Black, 2014 BMW 320i M Sport Melbourne Red/Black, 2009 BMW DINAN3 Alpine White/Black, 2008 BMW 335xi Alpine White/Black, 1998 BMW 328is Avus Blue/Tan
Appreciate 1
jmg18710.50
      09-18-2022, 08:11 PM   #407
Purekoryo
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 Competition

Garage List
I live in Dallas and rwd is more than enough for me. Surprisingly it puts the power down extremely well due to the world class LSD and chassis design. If I decided to do a light tune on the car, then I'd upgrade to 305's in the rear.

I also wanted light spec so I have carbon buckets and carbon ceramics. On top of that I recently installed a full titanium exhaust and now this car feels very very light. I'd say it currently sits in the mid 3600's.

Honestly I wish the upcoming M3CS would be rwd but with wider rear tires and M4CSL should've come with that as well.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2022, 12:06 AM   #408
bmwdrive
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5

Quote:
I only got the AWD because I wanted to own the first M4 with AWD and wanted to try something new after two RWD M3's.

Upsides:
Traction and grip
Acceleration
Handling

Downsides:
Weight
Handling is better? Because of the grip I guess.

Would you add gas mileage to the downsides? Also possibly maintenance and repairs.

The thing for me is that I will never be able to extract all the performance from a RWD. Not even close, even on a track. The fact that the AWD is faster by a second or two in the hands of pros doesn't really mean much. So it comes down to driving enjoyment and not sliding out into a ditch. It is of course entirely possible that I might push it a bit too fast on an on-ramp where the DSC won't be enough to save me. The AWD would be worth it for that. I did however drive the RWD on the track at M-school and it felt really predictable to me.
Appreciate 1
2011ninja3399.00
      09-19-2022, 01:47 AM   #409
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.87]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:

Upsides:
Traction and grip
Acceleration
Handling

Downsides:
Weight

Would you add gas mileage to the downsides? Also possibly maintenance and repairs.

The thing for me is that I will never be able to extract all the performance from a RWD. Not even close, even on a track. The fact that the AWD is faster by a second or two in the hands of pros doesn't really mean much. So it comes down to driving enjoyment and not sliding out into a ditch. It is of course entirely possible that I might push it a bit too fast on an on-ramp where the DSC won't be enough to save me. The AWD would be worth it for that. I did however drive the RWD on the track at M-school and it felt really predictable to me.
It's an M car so mileage isn't even a consideration!

Maintenance I guess eventually yea, could be potentially more expensive.

I've driven the RWD version at M School and honestly it handled great. My G82 feels like I can pull out of the corners a bit faster. I'm no pro, so I don't know if I'll ever extract it's full potential, but I do think it's a bit easier to do so in the AWD version.

If I was to get another M car after this, I'd probably go back to the RWD, but glad I got to scratch that AWD itch.

2022 G82///M4 Competition X-Drive - KW-HAS, EBC Bluestuff, Millway Race Camber Plates, Cup2 Connect*, PSI High Flow Midpipe, Lightweight Front Lip, M Perf Flow Through Wing
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2022, 01:55 AM   #410
Multimodal
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 50i, 2018 911 T

You can get closer to a car's full potential than you think. My lap times are only about 15% slower than the best recorded for my car, and I wouldn't say I'm a particularly skilled driver.
Archived: 2019 BMW X5 50i M Sport Mineral White/Full Black,2019 Ford GT350 Ford Performance Blue/Dark Slate, 2012 BMW X5 50i Alpine White/Black, 2014 BMW 320i M Sport Melbourne Red/Black, 2009 BMW DINAN3 Alpine White/Black, 2008 BMW 335xi Alpine White/Black, 1998 BMW 328is Avus Blue/Tan
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2022, 07:01 AM   #411
Allerum
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 23 M3C X-Drive

Quote:

So the AWD car runs in RWD until slip is detected so mpg would be same or better vs manual since it has 2 more gears. The AWD system is only around 100 lbs more. That's like saying you notice your gas mileage decrease with a passenger. But if its raining or damp then no contest its safer and faster.
Appreciate 1
      09-19-2022, 08:26 AM   #412
2011ninja
Colonel
Jamaica
Rep
Drives: 2022 G80 6MT

Quote:
Quote:

Upsides:
Traction and grip
Acceleration
Handling

Downsides:
Weight

Some electronic aids are really good. I've test my limits a little and this car has phenomenal grip at my skill level. G80 6MT

With my past race bikes, in some circumstances I was faster with traction control OFF.

If I accelerated at wot out of 1st gear bike would start to wheelie right about 60 MPH and start to cut fuel.

Traction off; I could float the front wheel and keep accelerating.

Tested this theory against my buddy's S1000rr. I'm a better rider, but he could edge me out with TC on. When TC was off, I could put a bike or two between us accelerating.

I plan to do a track day with the car so I know more about it's capabilities and to become a better driver.

Me RWD cause it's better 🤓
Appreciate 1
bmwdrive464.00
      09-19-2022, 10:34 AM   #413
GixY2K
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 GLA45AMG(his) / '21 X3M40i

AWD
Official answer: 4 seasons
Off the record: 0-60
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2022, 11:48 AM   #414
bmwdrive
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5

Quote:

If I was to get another M car after this, I'd probably go back to the RWD, but glad I got to scratch that AWD itch.
But.... I thought you can hardly tell that the AWD is not a RWD until you lose grip. So why go back to RWD?
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2022, 04:37 PM   #415
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.87]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:

But.... I thought you can hardly tell that the AWD is not a RWD until you lose grip. So why go back to RWD?
Simplicity of tire selections, maintenance etc.

Appreciate 1
bmwdrive464.00
      09-19-2022, 08:52 PM   #416
jummo
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3CX 2023 x1

Quote:
There should only be manual awd versions.
I believe this is where you say " Fixed it for you. "
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2022, 12:34 AM   #417
gs1403
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 F82 6MT

Quote:
Yes this is a performance feature. It's 2 seconds faster on the ring. It's also faster in Every track it was tested on. Awd is the highest performance version. This gap also gets bigger if you tune it. There should only be manual and awd versions.
Yeah because everybody makes car-buying decisions based on 1-2 second differences in lap times that are unachievable to less than 99.99% of G8X owners.

M3/4s have been RWD only for 30+ years and the first year they come out with an AWD version, people act like it's the only way to have the car. Nobody's arguing the AWD doesn't outperform the RWD. We get it. It's faster. It's more practical. Whatever. I just don't care enough about having the AWD to pay $4,100 extra to have 100lbs more weight at the front axles. And I'm glad BMW gave the privilege of making that choice.
2023 G82 M4 Competition / Dravit Grey Ind. / Silverstone/Black Full Merino / Carbon Fiber trim / Bi-color 826M / Executive / M Carbon Ceramic Brakes / Icon Adaptive LED Headlights / M Shadowline Lights / M Carbon Exterior
Appreciate 3
      09-20-2022, 02:13 AM   #418
kjx
///M ♥ Recycled Dinosaurs
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M4, BMW X5 45e

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by gs1403 View Post
Quote:
Yeah because everybody makes car-buying decisions based on 1-2 second differences in lap times that are unachievable to less than 99.99% of G8X owners.

M3/4s have been RWD only for 30+ years and the first year they come out with an AWD version, people act like it's the only way to have the car. Nobody's arguing the AWD doesn't outperform the RWD. We get it. It's faster. It's more practical. Whatever. I just don't care enough about having the AWD to pay $4,100 extra to have 100lbs more weight at the front axles. And I'm glad BMW gave the privilege of making that choice.
The differences in performance and safety are even more pronounced when you are not a professional race car driver. Not less. And on the road. At less than 60 mph.

Just the added safety envelope of a average person being less likely to total a 500+ HP car due to oversteer is good enough justification for it. The fact that you don't give up any of the driving feel vs RWD until you almost screw up is the cherry on top.

Sure, M3/4s have been RWD for decades but the cars have not produced this much power for that duration of time. The F8X generation was already too late to the game - I know more people who totaled their F8X due to oversteer with full traction control on at less than 60 mph than people who still own their F8X.

Of course, people can buy the RWD in auto form. Because some people make emotional decisions even when all the logic in the world points the other way. Ever since AWD came out, none of the customer order or dealer order cars I've seen at the local dealerships have been RWD (other than the occasional RWD manual). It shouldn't even be a debate at this point - if someone isn't sure of what to get the answer is always AWD.

Nobody can feel the weight over the front axles (here or any of the big YouTube reviewers / Car mags) and $4100 is the best bang for the buck "option' in this generation. Arguing against that at this point is at par with arguing that the earth is actually flat. But flat earthers are free to believe whatever they want, and so are the handful of the RWD-only devotees. The only real shame is if someone didn't have a firm understanding of AWD in G8Xs and opted out of it due to ignorance. I say this as a former RWD BMW owner who once nearly wrecked his own car due to unintended oversteer at less than 60 mph with traction on. And that was a whole 200 HP less than the G8X.
Allerum315.50
GixY2K517.00