BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics BMW M3 (G80), M4 (G82), CSL and 3.0 CSL General Forum

12-19-2022, 06:40 PM   #1
parksandrek
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M4 Competition xDrive

Do the airbags work on the g82?

The air bags indeed do work.
Attached Images

Appreciate 5
BTC Maxi416.00
kjx3204.50
M3ANSPEC393.00
      12-19-2022, 06:57 PM   #2
DocWeatherington
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 CP

Garage List
23 Bmw M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by parksandrek View Post
The air bags indeed do work.
That sucks... I'll take the bate what happened?

I assume you and your family survive with no injuries
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2022, 07:17 PM   #3
parksandrek
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocWeatherington View Post
That sucks... I'll take the bate what happened?

I assume you and your family survive with no injuries
It was just me, I had a valvetronic full catback put on a few hours from home and had a pretty nasty pass to drive over to get back. Semi went about a foot in my lane and I had to veer off a little and slush sucked me in, slid sideways and destroyed this guard rail. Not exactly sure the speed but I was probs sliding at about 30-40 before the collision. I don’t have snow tires…
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2022, 07:23 PM   #4
DocWeatherington
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 CP

Garage List
23 Bmw M3  [10.00]
Quote:
It was just me, I had a valvetronic full catback put on a few hours from home and had a pretty nasty pass to drive over to get back. Semi went about a foot in my lane and I had to veer off a little and slush sucked me in, slid sideways and destroyed this guard rail. Not exactly sure the speed but I was probs sliding at about 30-40 before the collision. I don’t have snow tires…

Lesson learned it happens... But the car is replaceable and you have your hewlth. Is it still drivable.

How's the exhaust
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2022, 09:35 PM   #5
parksandrek
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocWeatherington View Post
Lesson learned it happens... But the car is replaceable and you have your hewlth. Is it still drivable.

How's the exhaust
Exhaust was dope, but this happened 30 minutes into my drive so I didn’t get to play with it too much. No the car isn’t drivable. Praying it’s totaled and I can get a little different trim or maybe even a different model.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2022, 10:04 PM   #6
Tony_M3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 G80 6MT

Glad to hear you are ok!

Were you driving through Snoqualmie pass? I’m picking up my car in the next week and need to go through there to get home. I thought about trying to drive through but I decided to be safe and have the car transported through the pass.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2022, 10:31 PM   #7
2011ninja
Colonel
Jamaica
Rep
Drives: 2022 G80 6MT

Damn man… Glad you’re okay.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2022, 11:14 PM   #8
'Cane
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Aventurin/SS G82 xDrive

Garage List
Damn, that sucks. Glad you're ok though.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2022, 12:34 AM   #9
MichaelB1969
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 G80 Base SSG/Fiona

Quote:
Exhaust was dope, but this happened 30 minutes into my drive so I didn’t get to play with it too much. No the car isn’t drivable. Praying it’s totaled and I can get a little different trim or maybe even a different model.
Good to hear you weren't hurt.

Curious what model you'd get if you got something different, and why?
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2022, 07:13 AM   #10
Boomer 2019
Track Rat
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M4 Comp

Yep. Work like a champ.
Attached Images

12-20-2022, 07:54 AM   #11
nearwater4me
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '22 G82 Base

Wow, that sucks. Glad both of you are okay though!
Cars can be replaced!
Appreciate 1
'Cane8540.00
      12-20-2022, 08:48 AM   #12
G MONEY
Major
Rep
Drives: 2017 458/ YAS m4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer 2019 View Post
Yep. Work like a champ.
Thank god it's not a pic of the front:-). Lol
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2022, 08:59 AM   #13
kjx
///M ♥ Recycled Dinosaurs
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M4, BMW X5 45e

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony_M3 View Post
Glad to hear you are ok!

Were you driving through Snoqualmie pass? I’m picking up my car in the next week and need to go through there to get home. I thought about trying to drive through but I decided to be safe and have the car transported through the pass.
Do not drive any car with summer tires at below 45 degrees. Least of all at Snoqualmie pass. If you can swing winter tires, you can make it through if the roads are being cleared - what you don’t want is your front splitter acting like a snow plough.

OP should have switched to winter tires. Expensive lesson there. I run winter tires in Seattle always on performance cars. All seasons are okay on SUVs and non-perf cars. Summer tires are not good for any car for winter. Not only will they be like hockey pucks, but they’ll also crack and fail prematurely (blow out at a random time in a random season).

If you’re getting PPF, don’t drive it until you get it PPFed. Driving through sanded and salted roads will contribute to deterioration of your front end paint work.
      12-20-2022, 06:40 PM   #14
Boomer 2019
Track Rat
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M4 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by G MONEY View Post
Thank god it's not a pic of the front:-). Lol
Front, rear, and left side were completely crumpled. The car was a total loss. Actually I went left rear first into the concrete barrier at @ 60mph, then the full left side impacted. Funny thing though, the ECU activates only the air bags needed to protect the occupants in a particular impact. In my case the driver seat side bag, and the front and rear left side curtain bags. None of the others activated.

A helpful tip from someone who has been there, and done that. When the door is jammed and the bags inflated you cannot get out of the car. They must be deflated. You would not believe how tough those things are. I was desperately stabbing at the side curtain bag with the only thing I had, a ball point pen, and it was useless and ridiculous. You need a good strong blade. The track safety personnel all carry knives with them for this reason, also for cutting seat belts and harnesses. I now carry one in my console even when daily driving.

To add insult to injury, the track charged me $1,500 to replace the broken section of wall.
      12-20-2022, 07:16 PM   #15
Mark Kez
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 Convertible

Note to self; winter tires in the winter!!
Appreciate 1
M3X_TB2284.00
      12-20-2022, 07:27 PM   #16
Forzanerazzurri
Banned
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 Coupe/G80 M3CX

Garage List
That sucks
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2022, 07:42 PM   #17
G82Anxious
At The Port
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 C63S

Glad you're ok buddy. I just ordered me a set of winter tires lol..
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2022, 09:48 AM   #18
parksandrek
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony_M3 View Post
Glad to hear you are ok!

I was going through snowqualmie, yes please transport it it’s too dangerous to risk right now.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2022, 09:52 AM   #19
parksandrek
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjx View Post
Do not drive any car with summer tires at below 45 degrees. Least of all at Snoqualmie pass. If you can swing winter tires, you can make it through if the roads are being cleared - what you don’t want is your front splitter acting like a snow plough.

OP should have switched to winter tires. Expensive lesson there. I run winter tires in Seattle always on performance cars. All seasons are okay on SUVs and non-perf cars. Summer tires are not good for any car for winter. Not only will they be like hockey pucks, but they’ll also crack and fail prematurely (blow out at a random time in a random season).

If you’re getting PPF, don’t drive it until you get it PPFed. Driving through sanded and salted roads will contribute to deterioration of your front end paint work.
I understand why you think I needed to learn a lesson, but from my perspective I work out of town and never know when I’m coming home. I had been out of town working for 2 months when I found out I was coming out. It’s hard for most to understand but I Didn’t have any prep or anyone to help me get the car to the shop for tires. I’m only 21 and it’s a lesson learned. Thought I was invincible.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2022, 09:55 AM   #20
M3X_TB2
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M3CX 2023

Quote:
Well i guess next time drop the $1500 on snow tires before the $3700 exhaust and you'll be right as rain.

I see you're fairly young but its a great time to learn prioritization there are mobile tire services that will come to your house and install tires there are no excuses for driving on summer tires when there is that much obvious snow on the ground especially just to get an exhaust.

Glad you're safe and having almost lost my life because of shit tires I have a feeling that like me you won't be making that mistake again.
Appreciate 3
kjx3204.50
      12-21-2022, 09:57 AM   #21
parksandrek
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB1969 View Post
Good to hear you weren't hurt.

Curious what model you'd get if you got something different, and why?
Always wanted an m5 just couldn’t afford it at the time, also have some business ventures coming up so maybe I’ll just get something cheap for now to allocate more money in that direction. I’ll update the thread when I decide!
Appreciate 1
      12-21-2022, 11:45 AM   #22
kjx
///M ♥ Recycled Dinosaurs
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M4, BMW X5 45e

Garage List
Quote:
I understand why you think I needed to learn a lesson, but from my perspective I work out of town and never know when I’m coming home. I had been out of town working for 2 months when I found out I was coming out. It’s hard for most to understand but I Didn’t have any prep or anyone to help me get the car to the shop for tires. I’m only 21 and it’s a lesson learned. Thought I was invincible.
A lot of people don't understand until they experience it. My first BMW came from the factory with summer tires. I didn't swap it to winter tires because it would be such a hassle to store and swap. Lost control on a highway on-ramp but corrected it and came to a complete stop without wrecking the car or getting into an accident with another car. Ordered winter tires off TireRack the same morning and had them installed 2 days later IIRC.

Even though I have gotten winter tires ever since, I once had a summer tire at the rear blow out at 45 mph as it was getting into colder temperatures in fall prior to a swap and probably had stress cracks on the inside tire wall (summer tires become rigid and less flexible when cold).

It doesn't matter if it's snowing or not. Summer tires are not good as the temperature touches 45 degrees. You understand this very well now - it's unfortunate your M4 had this happen in the process.

Even all seasons with AWD are so so - I had some sliding action in my X5 this morning. Winter tires are the only way to go if you're planning to drive a high performance car between early November and late March in Washington.

If I were in your situation, even if my car were well-equipped, I wouldn't drive it long distance if there's snow/ice on the road (if at all). This is because drivers here suck and don't equip their vehicles with tires/chains properly - I saw several people stuck and sliding around yesterday. And I saw a Civic fly down 520 and lose control spinning from the passing lane it was in, across 4 highway lanes and crash into the barrier on the other side. They could have taken out other cars in the process - you don't want to that other car to be your M4.

Especially since you're younger (but this applies to everyone), I'd suggest you take high-performance driver education classes with BMW CCA locally or with one of the BMW Performance Centers. It'll give you driving skills for life that'll help you in sticky situations that you'll rarely encounter in the real world but are very consequential when you do.

If it helps you/anyone in the future, TireRack delivers tires to your home and TireRack ASAP is a mobile installation service (including mounting and balancing at your doorstep). If you're driving in from out of town in these conditions, rent a suitable car instead of exposing your M4 to all this. It doesn't help that your insurance is already higher because you're less than 25. Wrecking a car like this will hurt your insurance rates for several years.
bri10425943.00
2011ninja3399.00