BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics BMW M3 (G80), M4 (G82), CSL and 3.0 CSL General Forum

07-19-2023, 10:20 AM   #45
sixspeedshift
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Looking to order

Quote:
Originally Posted by bri1042 View Post
My take on "future proof":

Spec the car so that it isn't missing anything that you'll actually use regularly. If you constantly find yourself missing something (cameras, vent seats...whatever), you aren't as likely to want to keep it long term, even if it could be basically reliable for 10 years.

Electronic gadgets could fail, and if you own a car for 10 years SOMETHING will very likely break at some point. Entropy always wins. But most of these electronic bits are mature technology now and less likely to have a problem than similar items were when they were new and novel. The HUD isn't guaranteed to fail after X years. The screens can absolutely last that long, though any particular example may not. The only way to be sure is to buy it, keep it, and find out.

Resale value and keeping it for 10 years also seems like two concepts that are mutually exclusive, especially if you daily it for 10 years. Drive it, enjoy it, you'll get whatever you get for it after 10 years.
I don't care at all about resale value. I am buying this car because it is the last fully gas powered manual M3 and I don't plan to ever sell it.

A few replies here completely missed the point or contradict themselves but not worth the time to address.
Appreciate 4
bri10425941.50
kgelfen3602217.00
Uvo67.00
      07-19-2023, 10:50 AM   #46
Berzerker
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2024 M4 Convertible

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by sixspeedshift View Post
I don't care at all about resale value. I am buying this car because it is the last fully gas powered manual M3 and I don't plan to ever sell it.

A few replies here completely missed the point or contradict themselves but not worth the time to address.
You were the one who asked for opinions. If you're not going to clarify what you want to know, what's the point?
Appreciate 2
2SG5277.00
DO4441410.50
      07-19-2023, 02:40 PM   #47
DO444
Banned
Rep
Drives: 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by harperium View Post
The best way to future-proof your car is to buy it, and then never drive another car again. You won't know what you're missing.

When you're ready for a new car, your test drive in the 7000 lb 2034 M3 will be amazing.
Yea, cause it’ll likely fly and be a evtol.
I hope I live so long to fully enjoy that.

Imagine [Americans] committing robberies and shooting their guns out of the sky!

Imagine eVTOL car jackings where they just toss you out at 500 feet!

Soon to be in a reality near you!
Can’t wait!

Elon is going to need to invent bulletproof shields, but I guess he is working on that with the Cybertruck 1.0.

Europe is so boring, idk maybe your migrants in France can try to burn the EVTOL from the ground. That would make them pretty, like the floating Asian lanterns.

The future is bright!

In all seriousness, looks like Minority Report got it right on the future of police vehicles. I’ve only had 1 cup of Java today so I may be a little off.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2023, 09:03 PM   #48
kjx
///M ♥ Recycled Dinosaurs
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M4, BMW X5 45e

Garage List
Quote:
Definitely doing Parking Package, Drive Recorder, Extended Shadowline, and Ventilated Seats. Black basic interior seat color, basic dash option, and the standard grey wheels thus far. Probably blue calipers.
For someone who's planning to keep the car effectively forever, the biggest piece of advice I can give you is that an order of magnitude more people regret not getting an option than getting it.

Things you're not getting but should:
- Full leather interior (including dash) - this makes or breaks the interior. Nobody wants an M3/4 looking like a cheap 3 series on the inside. You will see, touch and regret the cheap plastics. Common regret on the forum for the few that didn't get full leather. Leather color is up to you, but black is literally the most unimaginative color for an M car interior. It will go decades though hiding all the imperfections and dirt/grime buildup though.

- Executive package - for the HUD. A BMW is not a BMW without HUD. An M without this is poverty spec for most (you can turn it off if you don't like it, but regret in not having it...).

- Laser lights - they are brighter and can be easily programmed to have anti-dazzle and variable light distribution (like in Europe).

- M Drive Professional - because you're keeping it forever. You can never get it later.

- M Carbon exterior package - makes the car look waaayyy better.

- Better wheels - I wouldn't stress about this. You can always get better ones later.

You'd said in a post that you don't care about re-sale value. I don't know if that also means you have a decent budget too. If you do, I'd spec M Performance carbon parts for the car to be that much more special.

I'm surprised you're getting the drive recorder and not M Drive Professional. The drive recorder is useless - it is not a substitute for a dedicated dashcam. At all. By any stretch of your imagination. Have it by all means as a secondary source of recordings, but having two cars with it, I will tell you that it will let you down when you need it the most.

For a car being kept 'forever', I'd get full-body PPF and a windshield protection film too.
MJBO2616.00
EXE462100.00
      07-21-2023, 09:25 PM   #49
mcsquared
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '24 SSG G80 6m/t

I don’t think the Exec package or carbon exterior package are must haves. Carbon is over done/played out, to me. And the HUD is annoying, again, for me.

Question, though, for the ones that do keep it forever…if you remove the standard seat backs and replace with the M alcantara seat backs, is that still considered ‘OEM’ even though it didn’t come equipped with those backs from the factory? Of course, it would be wise to keep the original seat backs protected for the future.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2023, 09:34 PM   #50
kgelfen360
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopJimmy View Post
Think about your market and typical customer base for what you ask. A buyer of a couple year old M with every option could also afford a new M or a custom order, depending on their patience level.

What would a sports car enthusiast appreciate but not require?
-G8x Comp X-drive appeals to more people, same with Auto trans over Manual
-Custom colors have no resale add, so pick a color easy to maintain
-Well kept leather is necessary, but full leather is not a big plus for me since scrapes are more common in those areas
-Executive pack…necessary for resale
-Laser lights…very desirable, even at $1K
-Carbon interior for the shift paddles…add
-Park Assist Plus for the bird’s eye parking view for $700 and Drive Recorder for another $100…add
-Ventilated seats for $350…add
-Most sport-focused customers want the carbon top, not the sunroof

Things I skip:
Carbon exterior…easy to add aftermarket, and cheaper
Auto driving, or radar cruise…minor convenience to people who like to drive
M-drive pro…$900? And I only would use the variable TC feature, but at resale others would think I used the car for drifting
Carbon brakes, for $8500 you can buy nice racing brakes, and have $2K left over
M-drivers pack…$2500 to raise the top speed, and tell the next owner I tracked the car, nope
Most owners will pick their own wheels/tires and exhaust, so stick to stock

Just my $0.02
This very spot on. Agree 100%
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2023, 09:38 PM   #51
kgelfen360
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:

You should option how you like if you going to keep longer term. Who cares what they will have in the future. 20 yo 911 today missing many features they have today but people love them and drive them.
Spec how you like and that’s it. I don’t really see how some feature you get today u don’t use but might need in future ? Just get what u like today and that’s it.
Appreciate 3
DO4441410.50
LuckyBrand1317.00
      07-21-2023, 09:49 PM   #52
Forzanerazzurri
Banned
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 Coupe/G80 M3CX

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcsquared View Post
I don’t think the Exec package or carbon exterior package are must haves. Carbon is over done/played out, to me. And the HUD is annoying, again, for me.

Question, though, for the ones that do keep it forever…if you remove the standard seat backs and replace with the M alcantara seat backs, is that still considered ‘OEM’ even though it didn’t come equipped with those backs from the factory? Of course, it would be wise to keep the original seat backs protected for the future.
CF is a must because while it may be played out, the alternative is cheap glossy black plastic that scratches if you cough on it.

Your second point speaks to me. Keep cars forever and replaced my seatbacks with the M Alcantara ones. It helps that they are OEM parts and not some cheap aftermarket ones. Also helps if you keep the original parts although I do that on all my cars and never go back to the parts. Just end up taking up space and as I get older the less and less I care.
Appreciate 2
mcsquared766.00
DO4441410.50
      07-21-2023, 10:15 PM   #53
MJBO
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2023 G81 M3 Touring

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjx View Post

- Full leather interior (including dash)

- Executive package - for the HUD.

- Laser lights

- M Drive Professional
Agree with all these.

The M4 I had for several years didn’t have full leather, and I have to admit I regretted not finding a car that had it. My G81 has full leather and it’s so much nicer for it.

Laserlights just plain look better on and off.
Appreciate 2
DO4441410.50
kjx3201.50
      07-23-2023, 10:51 PM   #54
sixspeedshift
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Looking to order

Quote:
For someone who's planning to keep the car effectively forever, the biggest piece of advice I can give you is that an order of magnitude more people regret not getting an option than getting it.

- Full leather interior (including dash) - this makes or breaks the interior. Nobody wants an M3/4 looking like a cheap 3 series on the inside. You will see, touch and regret the cheap plastics. Common regret on the forum for the few that didn't get full leather. Leather color is up to you, but black is literally the most unimaginative color for an M car interior. It will go decades though hiding all the imperfections and dirt/grime buildup though.

- Executive package - for the HUD. A BMW is not a BMW without HUD. An M without this is poverty spec for most (you can turn it off if you don't like it, but regret in not having it...).

- Laser lights - they are brighter and can be easily programmed to have anti-dazzle and variable light distribution (like in Europe).

- M Drive Professional - because you're keeping it forever. You can never get it later.

- M Carbon exterior package - makes the car look waaayyy better.

- Better wheels - I wouldn't stress about this. You can always get better ones later.

You'd said in a post that you don't care about re-sale value. I don't know if that also means you have a decent budget too. If you do, I'd spec M Performance carbon parts for the car to be that much more special.

I'm surprised you're getting the drive recorder and not M Drive Professional. The drive recorder is useless - it is not a substitute for a dedicated dashcam. At all. By any stretch of your imagination. Have it by all means as a secondary source of recordings, but having two cars with it, I will tell you that it will let you down when you need it the most.

For a car being kept 'forever', I'd get full-body PPF and a windshield protection film too.
I will have two carseats in the car so I feel like the leather will get too beat up but I see where you are coming from
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2023, 01:09 AM   #55
Uvo
Enlisted Member
Croatia
Rep
Drives: BSM G80 M3

Quote:

I really don't see reason why this should be "mandatory", especially on RWD
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2023, 02:19 AM   #56
Penguinius
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 Competition

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uvo View Post
I really don't see reason why this should be "mandatory", especially on RWD
Mines a ‘23 RWD Competition and I have it as standard, am in the UK though.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2023, 07:52 AM   #57
ASAP
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

There is no such thing as future proofing a "modern car"-

Idrive 8 will be outdated in a year unless I 8.5 can be updated... that is of course unless BMW doesn't get the bright idea of putting in I9 into an M3.

Laser lights which everyone here talks up... are actually being moved away from by BMW in future models.

Anything Carbon Fiber will also eventually peel.
      07-24-2023, 04:31 PM   #58
BMWRacer523
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 Competition xDrive

You cannot future proof cars. They get old, they break, they get outdated.. just enjoy it for what it is.
Appreciate 2
LuckyBrand1317.00
DO4441410.50