BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics BMW M3 (G80), M4 (G82), CSL and 3.0 CSL General Forum

08-31-2022, 08:08 AM   #111
Montaver
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G87 M2 & M340i LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by vj123 View Post
Any G8x thread which hits homepage is flooded with these grille comments. Can we just move on from that topic and stop derailing every other thread.

These vehicles are selling like hot cakes and people are waiting for several months for a build allocation.
All cars are selling like hot cakes. People are paying 10k over for Kia Tellurides.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2022, 08:29 AM   #112
vj123
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3c - sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK479 View Post
Totally hear you. But let me ask you this- is any automaker striving for upgrades when they can't even source chips for the current options? Are they making huge strides to differentiate for sales position when all allotments they can possibly manufacture sell.

The "free" market of selling a product hasn't rebounded since COVID hit.

Not trying to age myself- but in 2009 I was able to wrangle around 15 percent off a 911 I bought off the lot during the financial crisis.

Could m3's be lined up in 2023-2024 if we hit a depression. Nope- car makers are ahead of this thing…
I am responsible for releasing driver assist features for a major US OEM and we have moved forward from chip shortage. There might be few issues here and there but the major issue is behind out back. And yeah I am working on the next generation features which will be launched for MY25/26.

Yes, the free market is not back and with current issues, it might take a while. Any recession in the near future would take the whole market down and this platforms wouldnt be immune to it.

Also several automakers have publicly announced that they are going to limit dealer inventory and encourage customers ordering their vehicles. So dealers offering plenty of discounts to move volumes might be a thing of the past.
Appreciate 1
beden1511.00
      08-31-2022, 08:32 AM   #113
vj123
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montaver View Post
All cars are selling like hot cakes. People are paying 10k over for Kia Tellurides.
I have shared my thoughts twice earlier in this thread for the exact same question.

Post 1

Post 2
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2022, 08:41 AM   #114
Montaver
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G87 M2 & M340i LCI

Quote:
Quote:
I have shared my thoughts twice earlier in this thread for the exact same question.

Post 1

Post 2
You pointed to sales as proof the styling doesn't matter, hence why people commented. Just because it's attracting 'new' buyers is not a positive indictment on the styling. People are coming from Audi, GTR's etc. because it now has AWD. I suppose if all you care about is sales, the styling doesn't matter. You should work for BMW.
Appreciate 2
KoenG1428.50
      08-31-2022, 09:07 AM   #115
Boomer 2019
Track Rat
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M4 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeelToeShift View Post
Who sells the CSL grills in ABS black plastic?
There are at least 3 companies that I know of, and possibly more.

Vorsteiner / Auto Tecknic / RW Carbon
      08-31-2022, 09:45 AM   #116
Fenerbahce
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '19 M2C

Quote:
You pointed to sales as proof the styling doesn't matter, hence why people commented. Just because it's attracting 'new' buyers is not a positive indictment on the styling. People are coming from Audi, GTR's etc. because it now has AWD. I suppose if all you care about is sales, the styling doesn't matter. You should work for BMW.
This, exactly. Furthermore, it really is a unique car. High performance sedans, especially with manual transmissions, are slim pickings. While at the same time, the AWD/Auto option drastically increases the addressable market versus prior generations. As more and more of the market transitions to Hybrid/EV, I can see this gas-powered performance sedan niche holding strong for a few more years and continuing to win new customers.

The M3 is a fantastic car, but most people would agree it it is great in spite of it's grill, not because of it.
Montaver2180.50
KoenG1428.50
      08-31-2022, 09:46 AM   #117
vj123
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Based on a poll (LINK), split between G8x awd vs rwd is almost 50-50 and i dont think all new buyers are getting on to this ship because of awd introduction.

BMW wants to make drastic design changes on their niche vehicles (similar to the G8x) and this has been proven again with G07 LCI & G70 releases. I am not onboard with all changes they are trying to make but the overall market is accepting it. So i dont see any reason for them to take a step back. Sales is not the only criteria but definitely a major one in managements discussions where these decisions are made.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2022, 09:59 AM   #118
M3X_TB2
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M3CX 2023

Quote:
Originally Posted by G80M4 View Post
wait - ID8 has HK upgrades?
Yes the ID8 switch has a few part number changes that go along with it. One of them being a new amplifier which is an improvement over the ID7 iteration.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2022, 10:19 AM   #119
Rux
Captain
Rep
Drives: Little of this, little of that

Garage List
2024 BMW G42  [0.00]
2022 BMW G82  [0.00]
Well the B58TU1 brought a lot of changes for emission and added more power. https://bmwtuning.co/b58-vs-b58tu1/ The S58TU1 will likely add more power possibly via Gen2 MHEV. That seems pretty logical to me.

There will always be the "new shiny". No one should wait. Buy now, trade in later if you want.

Me? More power, changed grill...does not matter. I am jumping ship to the G99. People complain "Whaahhh no wagon for the US" and when it comes here, no one buys it. Just like the 6MT people, I am going to do my part.
Appreciate 2
      08-31-2022, 10:27 AM   #120
Aalfred
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3CX, 2018 X3 M40i

Quote:
Based on a poll (LINK), split between G8x awd vs rwd is almost 50-50 and i dont think all new buyers are getting on to this ship because of awd introduction.

BMW wants to make drastic design changes on their niche vehicles (similar to the G8x) and this has been proven again with G07 LCI & G70 releases. I am not onboard with all changes they are trying to make but the overall market is accepting it. So i dont see any reason for them to take a step back. Sales is not the only criteria but definitely a major one in managements discussions where these decisions are made.
Exactly. I wanted to own an M for a long time but dont know how to drive manual. Im sure I can learn but I was leaning towards an M5C when I found out about the M3C and best yet, it had Xdrive and made it easier to take the plunge. I could have gone with a used M5C Xdrive vs a new M3C which was a no brainer. I do love the grille and couldnt wait to get my car until I showed it to my kids (6 and 8 yr olds) and they chuckled and said the grille looks like a butt...which I gotto say, looking at it now, it really does..lol. Anyway, I love butts and dont mind having it on my car
Appreciate 1
beden1511.00
      08-31-2022, 10:49 AM   #121
Mako
(Sold) '00 M Roadster '06 M Coupe '16 M3 '20 X3MC
Rep
Drives: '23 M3 comp

Quote:
Quote:
Any G8x thread which hits homepage is flooded with these grille comments. Can we just move on from that topic and stop derailing every other thread.

These vehicles are selling like hot cakes and people are waiting for several months for a build allocation.
I just paid $2500 over msrp for a palisade calligraphy and think I got a great deal

But hey to me it's as nice as a $70k x5 and has more features, so…

But my M3 on order (at msrp) was pushed to May delivery now, considering cancelling and waiting for this full LCI since I am buying out my X3M lease either way.
Appreciate 1
Montaver2180.50
      08-31-2022, 11:17 AM   #122
HeelToeShift
Major
Rep
Drives: Mine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer 2019 View Post
There are at least 3 companies that I know of, and possibly more.

Vorsteiner / Auto Tecknic / RW Carbon
Thanks.

I know the Vorsteiner, but theirs arent CSL style to me. I am looking for the CSL with the "Y" shape in the abs plastic, although I guess CF isnt bad either.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2022, 11:30 AM   #123
buckybadger
BMW forever!
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Everyone has a different situation, if you can wait then why not get the LCI?
I waited for the M2C and picked the one with the S55, the real "M engine".
2009 BMW 328i
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2022, 11:53 AM   #124
NorCalAthlete
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '23 M4CX - Tanzanite / Tartufo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rux View Post
Well the B58TU1 brought a lot of changes for emission and added more power. https://bmwtuning.co/b58-vs-b58tu1/ The S58TU1 will likely add more power possibly via Gen2 MHEV. That seems pretty logical to me.

There will always be the "new shiny". No one should wait. Buy now, trade in later if you want.

Me? More power, changed grill...does not matter. I am jumping ship to the G99. People complain "Whaahhh no wagon for the US" and when it comes here, no one buys it. Just like the 6MT people, I am going to do my part.
I'm actually really looking forward to the wagon coming, even though I'm not buying one. I expect to see quite a few in the bay area - it's perfect for out here. Surfboards, snowboards, etc while still getting in your daily dose of the giggleshits in the Santa Cruz mountains.

I know that across the country it'll have stiff competition from SUVs but at least out here, wagons are plentiful even if it's mostly just the subaru crowd. Thing is though, Subaru is pretty much the only option for a sporty wagon, and most of the Subaru drivers I know could definitely afford the M3 wagon.
IG: EmFore_650
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2022, 12:29 PM   #125
Boomer 2019
Track Rat
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M4 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeelToeShift View Post
Thanks.

I know the Vorsteiner, but theirs aren't CSL style to me. I am looking for the CSL with the "Y" shape in the abs plastic, although I guess CF isn't bad either.
That's the one I ordered, but in CF. I went with R44 after much research because they seem to be the most reliable and confidence inspiring. Fingers and toes are fully crossed. They do not sell abs plastic however.
      08-31-2022, 04:07 PM   #126
SeanWRT
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 & F87 M2

Maybe I missed something, but there is no mentioning of "official LCI" for the G8X from the bmw model pipeline thread.
      08-31-2022, 04:11 PM   #127
vj123
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanWRT View Post
Maybe I missed something, but there is no mentioning of "official LCI" for the G8X from the bmw model pipeline thread.
I believe LCI timing is still an unknown and thats why the first post in that thread is not officially updated yet.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2022, 05:27 PM   #128
KoenG
Lieutenant Colonel
Belgium
Rep
Drives: i4 eDrive40 & Cupra Leon 300

Quote:

Whether it's beautifull or ugly, or something in between is subjective. Nevertheless, we can all confirm that no new design has ever polarised as much as this one before. I would advice BMW not to steer to controversy. On term, it will be even better for their turnover and their net profit!
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2022, 05:46 PM   #129
beden1
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '23 BMW M4 Competition xDrive

I'm sorry, but I drove about 140 miles round trip today in my '23 M4 comp xDrive coupe to play golf at an extremely exclusive country club here in South Florida and enjoyed every minute of the wonderful experience. The valets were fighting over which one would park my car, and when I said that I was going to be parking it, a discussion ensued. These guys/women see a lot of exotic cars in their daily endeavors, and all 6 of them loved my car. They had not seen one before and were really excited checking my car out. To those of you who think differently that the car is ugly, for me at least, today proved that you have your taste up your kazoo!

I also love how drivers get out of my way by switching lanes while driving on the highway. To a car, they moved over while I was passing them, and without me having to flash my lights. That's respect on the highway!

And, another thing, my cart golf bag fit perfectly in the trunk without having to drop the rear seat backs. Before, I had to place my golf bag in the passenger seat of my Porsche 911 GTS with Alcantara seats. That sucked bug time. This car is so much more useable!

Last edited by beden1; 08-31-2022 at 05:55 PM..
Appreciate 2
bri10425937.00
EthanEJC199.50
      08-31-2022, 06:08 PM   #130
MPower9525
Rep
Drives: Frozen Black 23 M3 Comp XDrive

Quote:

I may be in the minority here but I am getting the M3CX specifically because the AWD. In college my best friend had a E36 M3 that I absolutely fell in love with but never got one as I needed something practical as a daily. I did a lot of work on that car and that was one of the big selling points to me, its a fantastic platform that pretty much anyone can wrench, It was then that I became a BMW fanboi. I had a Saab 9-3 Aero and that car was fantastic for what it was. I graduated college and got a 2010 Honda civic Si which I had till my brother totaled and at the time I didn't need because I was living in NYC. Moved to NJ in 2018 and needed a car with AWD because the winters and because I'm an avid snowboarder and head up to VT and up state NY several times a winter. I put a deposit down on a F80 M3 Black on Red, it was sick but wasn't practical. I then test drove a 340 Xdrive back to back with a S4 and and the Audi IMO just felt much better, was better equipped and was $100/month but some part of me just didn't feel right getting an Audi. I loved BMWs Fast forward to 2021 when the M3CX order banks opened up and it was a no brainer for me specifically because the Xdrive and the ability to drive it in the snow(with winter tires) and not have to think twice about it.

That said do I love the design language of the front end? No. I think the E46 and E92 are objectively better looking if not downright gorgeous. But I think it's better looking and a more capable car that 99% of the cars that the internet trolls shitting on it are driving.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2022, 07:11 PM   #131
KoenG
Lieutenant Colonel
Belgium
Rep
Drives: i4 eDrive40 & Cupra Leon 300

Quote:
Originally Posted by beden1 View Post
I'm sorry, but I drove about 140 miles round trip today in my '23 M4 comp xDrive coupe to play golf at an extremely exclusive country club here in South Florida and enjoyed every minute of the wonderful experience. The valets were fighting over which one would park my car, and when I said that I was going to be parking it, a discussion ensued. These guys/women see a lot of exotic cars in their daily endeavors, and all 6 of them loved my car. They had not seen one before and were really excited checking my car out. To those of you who think differently that the car is ugly, for me at least, today proved that you have your taste up your kazoo!

I also love how drivers get out of my way by switching lanes while driving on the highway. To a car, they moved over while I was passing them, and without me having to flash my lights. That's respect on the highway!

And, another thing, my cart golf bag fit perfectly in the trunk without having to drop the rear seat backs. Before, I had to place my golf bag in the passenger seat of my Porsche 911 GTS with Alcantara seats. That sucked bug time. This car is so much more useable!
Don't feel the front end of a chiron either, but I certainly would like to drive one. Why do people and owners mess up looks with quality all of the time? For me the G80 was the best ride I had in my life, only the F90 was a close match. But the G80 had the ugliest face of almost all cars I ever drove. When only the looks was a bit more adjusted to the ride quality, it would just be epic.

late edit:
Just want to add, I'am close and excited to order an i4 the coming days. Also here, I the front is messed up, but it's still the best drivers car around for this kind of money. So when people will ask me, why did you go for this ugly car? I can perfectly relate and understand... an M is much more than its grill.

Last edited by KoenG; 08-31-2022 at 07:20 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2022, 08:25 PM   #132
PinkFlamingo
Car Shopping Addict
United_States
Rep
Drives: 981 GT4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nahlem View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by dezzracer View Post
No way will our power grid systems have the capability to charge every EV (if every driver has one) by 2027. That's a huge problem.

Here's the way a look at this depressing bullshit. 95 % of drivers out there just want to get from point A to B. Yea they wash their cars and want to look cool and hip in them but they don't REALLY care about cars like we do or what energy source pushes their cars around, as long long as they roll. Let them have their EVs and leave us 5 percenters the fuk alone to enjoy our ICE engines.

I believe Performance auto companies like BMW are going to continue to develop ICE engines to get incredible MPG along with the combustion HP we crave. Perhaps they may be hybrids and that's OK with me. Don't give up just yet. Fight these climate zealots pushing EVs down our throats.

As with many myths surrounding EVs, our power grid system are able to handle EV's just fine this has been debunked so many times, It simple as not everyone charges nor ever will at the same time and not everyone will plug in at the same time please stop spreading this myth, it ain't correct. Just as our plumping systems are able to handle our stuff because not everyone flushes their toilets at the same time we won't see overflown sewages systems. So please stop that myth already.

As long as ICE engines produces emissions from the tailpipe then no there is no future for them if there was a way to have zero emissions from ICE engines we would have reached that now, but we haven't the development of ICE cars is simple as they can't be or are not worth to develop for the last % of mpg or emissions. The cost/benefit is not worth it so EVs it is.

Nor will there in our near future be a time where there is no ICE cars, So don't worry about that the ICE cars will be around for probably yours and mine lifetime. But they won't be developed any more or sold new thats a total different thing.

Not everyone who drives an EV is a climate zealot alright so don't talk stupid because thats what comments like that is.

I live in a town where Northvolt has there main development centre and have met the people that work there around town and in bars, and the next coming 25 years we will see newer lighter materials in battery's that will also double the range every 3-5 year so we are talking about cars with at least 900-1500 km in one charge in our lifetime with charging in less then 10 minutes.

So yeah we are seeing progress and thank goodness for that. Stagnation is dangerous and should be avoided at all cost.
You clearly have no clue what you're saying. The US has 280 million vehicles on the road and if 100% of them were EV's by 2027, the grid would absolutely fail in highly populated areas. The majority of EV owners charge at night when the price/kw is cheapest. You get a heat wave paired with millions of EV's plugged in at the same time, boom the lights are out.

Good news though, majority of the country can't afford EV's so this discussion is pointless.