BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics Pricing, Ordering, Leasing / Purchasing, Delivery

04-26-2022, 03:31 PM   #1
8262S
Captain
Rep
Drives: G80 M3

Is the CF exterior pack delaying builds?

Hello.

I really want the CF intakes, and am about ready to add the CF exterior pack to my build.

I am still 112 and scheduled for build Week 21 (two weeks away).

Does anyone have information on whether the CF exterior pack is resulting in any delays?

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2022, 03:45 PM   #2
Mac Daddy
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 pure

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8262S View Post
Hello.

I really want the CF intakes, and am about ready to add the CF exterior pack to my build.

I am still 112 and scheduled for build Week 21 (two weeks away).

Does anyone have information on whether the CF exterior pack is resulting in any delays?

Thanks.
2 months ago I was Status 111 for a week 16 build, and I added the Carbon Exterior package. It did not change my build week. In fact a few days later I was moved up to week 15.

A couple of weeks ago I was Status 112 for a week 19 build. I added the ceramic brakes, and immediately was bumped to Status 105, where I remain.

I don't know if the brakes bumped me, or the fact that I was 112 bumped me, or what. As of 2 months ago, the Carbon exterior did not have an effect, but I was 111 and several weeks away.

How badly do you want them? It is risky, but I would add them if you're sure and it won't be the end of the world if the car delayed. Alternative is obviously aftermarket, which is more $$ and possibly worse fitment.

Good luck!
past, all 6MT: E90 M3 ZCP, E60 M5, E60 550i, E39 540i
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2022, 04:26 PM   #3
vj123
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3c - sold

At this point, any reason for the delay might be just another speculation. People have tried out to figure the common denominator for the delays and different factors (parking assistance, CF seats) have been zeroed in over time.

At the end, It might not be one single feature but a combination. It would be really hard to figure that as no one will be able to figure about the criteria which BMW is using to schedule these builds.

CF exterior package but add some risk to your build being delays and you might have to decide if that risk is worth the delay.
Appreciate 1
      04-26-2022, 05:30 PM   #4
kjx
///M ♥ Recycled Dinosaurs
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M4, BMW X5 45e

Garage List
Do not prioritize optimizing for some savings in build weeks vs. getting the car you want. You'll soon forget waiting a few weeks more (if that even materialized), but you won't forget not having features you wanted. I skipped on the carbon exterior package initially but had it added later - and now, I am convinced I 100% made the right choice. I'd be beating myself up if I hadn't added it.
      04-26-2022, 06:01 PM   #5
The_Transporter
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjx View Post
Do not prioritize optimizing for some savings in build weeks vs. getting the car you want. You'll soon forget waiting a few weeks more (if that even materialized), but you won't forget not having features you wanted. I skipped on the carbon exterior package initially but had it added later - and now, I am convinced I 100% made the right choice. I'd be beating myself up if I hadn't added it.
This!
Appreciate 1
gambit0.00
      04-26-2022, 06:11 PM   #6
Waterbelly
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3M Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Transporter View Post
Quote:
This!
Exactly.

If anyone tells you they know what causes delays or not, just assume they are fools.

I ordered a G80 with every box checked: individual paint, carbon buckets, carbon exterior, fancy lights, etc. No delays. Flew through production. Just landed in NY. I have absolutely no freakin idea what the folks at BMW are doing, but it sits somewhere between completely random and chaos theory.
Appreciate 3
      04-26-2022, 07:21 PM   #7
The_Transporter
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterbelly View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Transporter View Post
Quote:
This!
Exactly.

If anyone tells you they know what causes delays or not, just assume they are fools.

I ordered a G80 with every box checked: individual paint, carbon buckets, carbon exterior, fancy lights, etc. No delays. Flew through production. Just landed in NY. I have absolutely no freakin idea what the folks at BMW are doing, but it sits somewhere between completely random and chaos theory.
Haha congrats and completely agree!
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2022, 07:57 PM   #8
8262S
Captain
Rep
Drives: G80 M3

Thanks for the information everyone.

**disregard the below question, I posted in the cosmetics forum**

How well does the carbon fiber stand up to chips, dings, etc. on the front of the car?

I presume the best solution is to get the CF intakes PPF'd. But I have heard that is not a perfect protection.

So *when* a CF intake gets hit with a stone or something and the finish gets a chip, will that damage remain localized or quickly spread? Is it easily repaired?

Thanks, I appreciate the info.

Last edited by 8262S; 04-27-2022 at 10:13 AM..
Appreciate 0