Drives: BMW M4, BMW X5 45e

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmg View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by snareman View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmg View Post
I have a build date of 12/2 of an incoming car, but I haven't been informed of anything like this. My build sheet says "ZAX Apple CarPlay and Android Auto Compatibility".

Frankly, I think the touch screen is useless, too distracting and difficult to use while driving. I much prefer the iDrive controller. Carplay is a convenience, but not a deal breaker, but I do like it.
Have you used the touch screen? I think it's faster, safer and more efficient to use while driving than the idrive controller because you can go right to what you want with your finger rather than having to scroll around the screen with the wheel. I feel like it would be hard to go back now that I'm used to having it.
Yes, I've had 7 BMW's with the modern iDrive and my last 2 or 3 have had the touch screen. There is no feedback. Nor any stability on less than ideal roads, so I find trying to hit a specific button takes my eyes off the road for much too long trying to hit the right button. With the controller I can just scroll and glance quickly where the selector is and know exactly how many "clicks" I am away from what I want. Maybe I'm old school, I don't like a touch screen without a well designed physical UI. Frankly, some car manufacturers are either too lazy or too inept at UI design to come up with anything that's as good as iDrive. I like that we have both, for the people who like physical buttons like me, and the ones that don't mind finger smudges all over their screens!
Completely agree. I feel unsafe using Apple CarPlay using the touchscreen driving at speed. Which makes me hate iDrive 8 even more because there are fewer tactile buttons to press to control the air conditioning.

People are going to realize the losing buttons is not 'cool' or 'futuristic' but a sign of abject cheapness on the part of the manufacturer, and hopefully consumer sentiment at large will reflect that reality.
jmg18872.00
akkando5872.50