E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > Failed at angel eye installation :(

05-25-2014, 01:48 PM   #1
Wycy
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 328i xDrive

Failed at angel eye installation :(

Hey guys,

So I bought a set of these from Top Gear Solutions. I tried to install them today, but was ultimately unsuccessful. The directions provided with the bulbs seem woefully inadequate. I have the following questions:

1. Is there anything I need to harvest from the OEM bulbs, such as the plastic housing (with the oval thing) or the metal lens (is that a UV filter?) (see images below)? They appear to be inseparable from the OEM bulb. It ended up seeming like I might not actually need to take anything from the OEM bulbs. But I want to make sure.

2. Is there some trick I'm missing to getting the wires to stay connected? The connectors (pictured below) were very loose and would readily slip apart. I thought about just electrical taping them together, but the electrical connection itself was tenuous even when the connectors were physically together. I had to wiggle them to get the bulbs to light up.

3. At one point I decided to give up and just button everything up and leave the new bulbs in but disconnected. However, it appears that the bulky shape of these bulbs' heatsinks makes the plastic bulb recess cover (the cover that covers both the high beam bulb and the AEs) simply not fit at all. I could not see any way whatsoever to make the cover fit on with the TGS AE bulbs installed. Am I missing something? How do I get the cover back on?

Ultimately I had to take the new bulbs out. I wanted to put the old bulbs back in, but I couldn't get the white plastic oval thing to fit over the oval fiber optic connection to the AE rings. So now I have nothing in the driver's side AE bulb recess.

Last edited by Wycy; 05-25-2014 at 09:58 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2014, 06:32 PM   #2
buster84
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335I X-Drive E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wycy View Post
Never mind, looks like I don't need to take off the OEM harness. Now, however, I'm having trouble getting the wires to stay on. They just keep falling off and not making the connection. Any ideas?
View post on imgur.com
Id suggest Tape or hot glue. I like hot glue since its not permanent and can easily be removed with Alcohol.
2007 Bmw X5 (Sold)
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2014, 09:26 PM   #3
Wycy
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 328i xDrive

Failed to install the bulbs today. Edited the original post to ask hopefully all the questions I'll need. My poor car

Appreciate 0