E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > Tyre pressure warning

02-09-2012, 04:51 PM   #1
Ste133
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335i

Tyre pressure warning

Good evening chaps,

So this evening I had been driving for around 20 minutes when my tyre pressure warning light came on. I drove on cautiously and I arrived at my destination 10 minutes later. During those 10 minutes the car felt and drove like 'normal'.

I checked all 4 wheels (by touch and a quick look) but I didn't have my tyre pressure gauge on me. I couldn't see a flat and all tyres felt ok. I decided to reset the tyre pressure system for the trip home.

On the trip back, the tyre pressure warning did not come on and the car drove as 'normal'. I will be checking all four tyres again this weekend to make sure nothing has changed.

My question is has anyone else had this happen recently? Can it be down to the cold weather affecting tyre pressures?

Cheers,
Steve
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2012, 05:42 PM   #2
Jon D
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 2022 840d

Due to the thick sidewalls, I don't think there's much visual difference between a fully inflated or punctured RFT. You should check the pressure before driving any further.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2012, 06:18 PM   #3
IanS100
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: 520d F10 LCI M Sport

If you've reset the system with a deflated tyre that is what the system will be expecting so I doubt you will get any further warnings!
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2012, 06:24 PM   #4
AlanYoro35i
Senior Troll
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Coming soon-718 Cayman S

How can you check all tires? I got a (tiny) nail in one of my rear tyre. which was so hard to see and practically impossible to spot unless you have the wheel off. I was loosing alot of pressure after pumping the tyre i loose upto .5 bar a day.

When my TPS came on , i did what you did by just pushing and trying to look at whats wrong with it. then a few days later i found my tires only had 16psi!!!!

Best get it check out right away!

Now: 718 Cayman GTS / F83 M4
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2012, 03:26 AM   #5
Ste133
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335i

Morning guys,

Thanks to those who responded.

I was hoping that resetting the tyre pressure monitor would alert me again should the pressure go down more.. (confirming that there was a slow puncture). I will of course spend some time checking all pressures over the weekend. Fingers crossed that I don't have a puncture.

My final question - when the system goes off, is it tyre specific, or just a generic 'your pressure has gone down'?

Cheers,
Steve
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2012, 03:51 AM   #6
Jon D
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 2022 840d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ste133 View Post
Morning guys,

Thanks to those who responded.

I was hoping that resetting the tyre pressure monitor would alert me again should the pressure go down more.. (confirming that there was a slow puncture). I will of course spend some time checking all pressures over the weekend. Fingers crossed that I don't have a puncture.

My final question - when the system goes off, is it tyre specific, or just a generic 'your pressure has gone down'?

Cheers,
Steve
As 'IanS100' says, re-initialising the system will fool it into thinking that everything is normal.
I've never had mine trigger an alert, but seeing as you get a picture of all four tyres on the screen and that it's fed by ABS sensor rotational speed, I would think it would indicate which tyre is low - what did it display when it initially warned you? Having said all that, it probably won't alert you again, even if one tyre is completely deflated, because you've reset the system.
I would definitely not leave it until the weekend - you really should check your pressures ASAP.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2012, 04:32 AM   #7
doughboy
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 Comp 6MT

It doesn't tell you which wheel, you have to find out!

And you'll have to check with a gauge as you can't see the difference between a full or flat RFT.

Pressing the side wall is no good, they're about 30mm thick!
Appreciate 0