E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > Stock 2011 335 HID Temperature?

11-25-2011, 12:27 PM   #1
JcLusso
i build cool shit
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Individual SMB F80 M3

Garage List
2018 BMW X5 M  [0.00]
2016 BMW i3  [0.00]
Stock 2011 335 HID Temperature?

I was searching but I can't seem to find the answer. What is the stock temperature of the HID bulbs in a 2011 335? Are they white or will I need to replace them?
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2011, 12:57 PM   #2
rollinstone157
Brotographer
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by JcLusso View Post
I was searching but I can't seem to find the answer. What is the stock temperature of the HID bulbs in a 2011 335? Are they white or will I need to replace them?
The bulbs are either Phillips or Osram bulbs (can't remember off the top of my head) with a color temperature of 4300K. I personally don't mind the color, if you really want to upgrade, I would go with Morimoto 5000K bulbs from theretrofitsource.com. 5000K is a great compromise, because it will be whiter than the 4300K bulbs, but you will only experience a slight drop in lumen output from the increased color temperature. Don't go above 6000K, it becomes glarey and visible light output drops off quickly. Morimoto makes extremely high end products, and TRS considers them to be on the same level, if not better, than OEM products. And they back that with warranties.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2011, 11:01 PM   #3
mashimarho
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: E92 M3 & F80 M3 & G82 M4

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by rollinstone157 View Post
The bulbs are either Phillips or Osram bulbs (can't remember off the top of my head) with a color temperature of 4300K. I personally don't mind the color, if you really want to upgrade, I would go with Morimoto 5000K bulbs from theretrofitsource.com. 5000K is a great compromise, because it will be whiter than the 4300K bulbs, but you will only experience a slight drop in lumen output from the increased color temperature. Don't go above 6000K, it becomes glarey and visible light output drops off quickly. Morimoto makes extremely high end products, and TRS considers them to be on the same level, if not better, than OEM products. And they back that with warranties.
So, I can upgrade the HID to 5000k and this will give me a more whiter and clear color? Any downsides? Does it still look OEM?
      11-25-2011, 11:27 PM   #4
rollinstone157
Brotographer
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mashimarho View Post
So, I can upgrade the HID to 5000k and this will give me a more whiter and clear color? Any downsides? Does it still look OEM?
It will be a whiter color, but it won't have that hint of blue like the 6000K bulb will. I think 5000K is perfect--think close to the Acura TL/TSX projector color temp. No real downsides, and it will look OEM, while 6000K will definitely look more aftermarket.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2011, 11:42 PM   #5
mashimarho
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
It will be a whiter color, but it won't have that hint of blue like the 6000K bulb will. I think 5000K is perfect--think close to the Acura TL/TSX projector color temp. No real downsides, and it will look OEM, while 6000K will definitely look more aftermarket.
Acura TL / TSX.... those are an amazing temperature..
I hope the DIY won't be too hard. I might try these out.

Oh wow thats a lot of products. Could you help me find the correct one and send me the link?
THanks

11-26-2011, 10:05 AM   #6
rollinstone157
Brotographer
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Acura TL / TSX.... those are an amazing temperature..
I hope the DIY won't be too hard. I might try these out.

Oh wow thats a lot of products. Could you help me find the correct one and send me the link?
THanks

http://www.theretrofitsource.com/pro...oducts_id=3179
Just make sure you select 5000K in the drop-down box! Replacing these bulbs yourself won't be too difficult. And yes, I know these are a bit pricier than what you see on ebay. But I've heard horror stories of ebay bulbs blowing OEM ballasts. I would be legitimately shocked if these caused damage, simply because Morimoto makes such incredibly well-built products
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2011, 10:36 AM   #7
mashimarho
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
http://www.theretrofitsource.com/pro...oducts_id=3179
Just make sure you select 5000K in the drop-down box! Replacing these bulbs yourself won't be too difficult. And yes, I know these are a bit pricier than what you see on ebay. But I've heard horror stories of ebay bulbs blowing OEM ballasts. I would be legitimately shocked if these caused damage, simply because Morimoto makes such incredibly well-built products
I always thought our e92 xenons (2012 LCI) would be more like 5000k anyways.
By chance do these come in 55w?
And, would the Caddy escalade be considered like a 6000k?

Thanks for bearing with me and my ridiculous questions.
      11-26-2011, 11:25 AM   #8
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

Yes atleast stay away from the ebay bulbs. They like to burn up ballasts quite frequently these days.
Majority of OEM cars stay in the 4300-5000K range. That range has the brightest output of light.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2011, 11:52 AM   #9
rollinstone157
Brotographer
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I always thought our e92 xenons (2012 LCI) would be more like 5000k anyways.
By chance do these come in 55w?
And, would the Caddy escalade be considered like a 6000k?

Thanks for bearing with me and my ridiculous questions.
As far as I know, that's not the case. I feel like BMW wouldn't use different color temperature D1S bulbs for different cars, just for the sake of economics. And as far as I know, there are no 55W D1S bulbs (I've seen a bunch of high-wattage D2S bulbs though), but more importantly, it's not the bulb that determines the wattage, but the ballast. You get a more powerful ballast, paired with a bulb designed for the higher voltage, and then bada-boom, bada-bing, you have a 55W (or higher) HID system. And I think the Caddy probably uses a 5000K bulb. But it might be a 4300K bulb and a really good projector. Hard to say.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2011, 01:41 PM   #10
SwUz
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92

all the OEM bulbs on the newer mercedes models are "Osram cool blue intense (5000K)". IMO they look amazing on the road, much better then the OEM bmw bulbs. ANyone know of a reputable online dealer that sells authentic osram bulbs?
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2011, 02:30 PM   #11
JcLusso
i build cool shit
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Individual SMB F80 M3

Garage List
2018 BMW X5 M  [0.00]
2016 BMW i3  [0.00]
How are these? http://www.khoalty.com/bmw-e90-e92/l...ment-bulb.html
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2011, 03:13 PM   #12
rollinstone157
Brotographer
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JcLusso View Post
OK...remember what I said about ebay bulbs causing problems/blowing out OEM ballasts? Let me expand that to "any off-brand bulb that seems cheap".
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2011, 11:28 PM   #13
mashimarho
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
As far as I know, that's not the case. I feel like BMW wouldn't use different color temperature D1S bulbs for different cars, just for the sake of economics. And as far as I know, there are no 55W D1S bulbs (I've seen a bunch of high-wattage D2S bulbs though), but more importantly, it's not the bulb that determines the wattage, but the ballast. You get a more powerful ballast, paired with a bulb designed for the higher voltage, and then bada-boom, bada-bing, you have a 55W (or higher) HID system. And I think the Caddy probably uses a 5000K bulb. But it might be a 4300K bulb and a really good projector. Hard to say.

Thanks for the help. So, I should get those bulbs you listed. There isn't really much I can do. I'm not looking to get new projectors. I take it the ballast in those 5000k will be nice!
      11-26-2011, 11:37 PM   #14
ChaseK
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E90 335i 6spd

Ive had good luck with Phillips d1s bulbs. I got the pair off ebay for ~$120. But yes like others said look out for "cheapo" bulbs on eBay. I actually haven't installed them in my 335 yet but I took them out of my Audi before I traded it in and plan to install them in my new car. I had them for 2 hrs with no problems.
      11-27-2011, 10:21 AM   #15
rollinstone157
Brotographer
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for the help. So, I should get those bulbs you listed. There isn't really much I can do. I'm not looking to get new projectors. I take it the ballast in those 5000k will be nice!
You appear to be slightly confused about the way a xenon headlight system works. To prevent you from experiencing buyer's remorse, I'll give you a quick run-down on the components of a xenon system and what they do.

1. The Ballasts: These take the 12V electricity supply from the battery, and up the voltage to something around 25,000 volts so that the bulbs can ignite and put out light. More expensive ballasts will do this better, more reliably. The OEM ballasts we have, while they are certainly sensitive to cheap aftermarket bulbs, the same can be said for any ballast. I would rate ours as "Very Good/Excellent"
2. The Bulbs: The bulbs are what define the majority of the color output. A lower color temperature bulb (3000K, yellow) will throw out a lot of lumens and little glare, while a higher color temperature bulb (1000K, heavily-blue-tinted white) will throw out less lumens and more glare. It will be less useful for you. The ideal range is between 4300K-6000K. I would rate the bulbs in our cars as "Very Good/Excellent" in terms of quality, but "Good" in terms of color. This is what upgrading to a 5000K bulb, like the Morimoto bulb, will impact. Build quality will be the same, but color will be improved.
3. The Projectors: Have you ever noticed when you're driving in front/behind of a very new, high-end Mercedes, Porsche, Acura, or Lexus equipped with Xenons, that the headlights seem to "flicker" a little bit? They seem to color shift, almost, showing a brilliant violet or blue for a moment, before you see the white light again? That is caused by very high end projectors. They make the cutoff on the headlights razor sharp, and the cutoff has a very visually pleasing narrow band of tron-esque color. I would rate the BMW projectors as "OK/Good Enough". Better than some (i.e. Current-gen Ford Explorer ), but there are plenty that are better (Caddy CTS, new CLS 500) For such expensive cars, they could have put significantly better projectors in, and I hope we see an improvement in the F30. Changing the bulb will not create these color shifts you see here.

So, when you replace the bulb, you are not changing the ballast (unless you know for a fact that you had the unfortunate situation of blowing a bulb and a ballast--rarely/never happens with OEM or high-end bulbs)
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2011, 01:45 PM   #16
mashimarho
Rep

Garage List
You have been very helpful! I get it now.
I will have many other questions for you soon, actually....
I will be doing a lot of LED work and I'm not very fond of these kinds of works. So, keep in touch I have plenty of interior and exterior lighting that will be done soon!

Quote:
You appear to be slightly confused about the way a xenon headlight system works. To prevent you from experiencing buyer's remorse, I'll give you a quick run-down on the components of a xenon system and what they do.

1. The Ballasts: These take the 12V electricity supply from the battery, and up the voltage to something around 25,000 volts so that the bulbs can ignite and put out light. More expensive ballasts will do this better, more reliably. The OEM ballasts we have, while they are certainly sensitive to cheap aftermarket bulbs, the same can be said for any ballast. I would rate ours as "Very Good/Excellent"
2. The Bulbs: The bulbs are what define the majority of the color output. A lower color temperature bulb (3000K, yellow) will throw out a lot of lumens and little glare, while a higher color temperature bulb (1000K, heavily-blue-tinted white) will throw out less lumens and more glare. It will be less useful for you. The ideal range is between 4300K-6000K. I would rate the bulbs in our cars as "Very Good/Excellent" in terms of quality, but "Good" in terms of color. This is what upgrading to a 5000K bulb, like the Morimoto bulb, will impact. Build quality will be the same, but color will be improved.
3. The Projectors: Have you ever noticed when you're driving in front/behind of a very new, high-end Mercedes, Porsche, Acura, or Lexus equipped with Xenons, that the headlights seem to "flicker" a little bit? They seem to color shift, almost, showing a brilliant violet or blue for a moment, before you see the white light again? That is caused by very high end projectors. They make the cutoff on the headlights razor sharp, and the cutoff has a very visually pleasing narrow band of tron-esque color. I would rate the BMW projectors as "OK/Good Enough". Better than some (i.e. Current-gen Ford Explorer ), but there are plenty that are better (Caddy CTS, new CLS 500) For such expensive cars, they could have put significantly better projectors in, and I hope we see an improvement in the F30. Changing the bulb will not create these color shifts you see here.

So, when you replace the bulb, you are not changing the ballast (unless you know for a fact that you had the unfortunate situation of blowing a bulb and a ballast--rarely/never happens with OEM or high-end bulbs)
      11-27-2011, 07:29 PM   #17
rollinstone157
Brotographer
United_States
Rep

Quote:
You have been very helpful! I get it now.
I will have many other questions for you soon, actually....
I will be doing a lot of LED work and I'm not very fond of these kinds of works. So, keep in touch I have plenty of interior and exterior lighting that will be done soon!
Feel free to PM me regarding any questions you have!
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2011, 09:44 PM   #18
blucaller
Registered
Rep
Drives: E46 323 CI

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwUz View Post
all the OEM bulbs on the newer mercedes models are "Osram cool blue intense (5000K)". IMO they look amazing on the road, much better then the OEM bmw bulbs. ANyone know of a reputable online dealer that sells authentic osram bulbs?
I was just reading on HID Planet that it's going to be released in North America as the Sylvania Silverstar.

http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/show...-RELEASED-SOON!

If that info is real...I'd call them first.
Appreciate 0