E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > Fitting Sport Seats

03-04-2010, 11:07 AM   #1
Adam Delderfield
Registered
Rep
Drives: E92

Fitting Sport Seats

Hi there,

I am a new member and a first time BMW owner.
Does anybody know if I can replace my SE spec seats with the Sport spec?
Is it just a straight swap or is it more involved?

any help is appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2010, 12:26 PM   #2
Castel
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Tanzanite Blue '13 E92 M3

I don't know what SE is but it shouldn't be a problem to switch to the Sports Package seats. Sorry I can't give you a definite answer. Main thing would be though, if the seats are powered seats or not and heated or not. If they are the same as the ones you have then it should be no problem.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2010, 12:45 PM   #3
mike-y
just another bmw douche bag
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1.9L of fury

the seats will fit and bolt in, but there will be some additional wiring involved to have all the features work on the sports seats. How much depends on which seats you have now, and which versions of the sports seats you get.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2010, 12:02 PM   #4
acerboo
Brigadier General
England
Rep
Drives: e92 335d lci

does anyone know if it is possible to fit heated seats to a car that was not fitted with them from the factory my car has full electric sports seats and i have found some the same but heated but i cant get any info as to wether they will work and what i need to make them work
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2010, 03:59 PM   #5
Digitalinkartist
MrSixSpeed
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 Garage Queen

Yes, yes, and yes.

Sport seats are 100% retrofittable. Just be sure that your e92 seats are replaced with Sport Pack seats from another e92. (E90/E91/E93 seats will not work) They will bolt right in.
NOTE: If doing this, be certain to disconnect the battery before installation or else you will get a SRS/Airbag light that can only be removed with an airbag reset tool or via an out of pocket expense at the dealer.

Second there are rewiring diy's for power memory. Some involving tapping an existing 12v source, others involve creating a new fuse block section for a dedicated 12v out from the box. The DIY's I have seen use the factory fuse location for power seat option and are identical to factory specs when complete. Note: I am pretty sure you may need some sort of software fix for full functioning memory features)

Heated seats are retrofittable. This project requires a substantial amount wiring and the addition of a dedicated fuse box/block location, and the heated seat panel/button/harness for in dash factory button placement.
NOTE: If doing this, be certain to disconnect the battery before installation or else you will get a SRS/Airbag light that can only be removed with an airbag reset tool or via an out of pocket expense at the dealer.

Caveat: Above information is only applicable to 2007-08 e92 model years. 2009 model and newer e92 seem to have an active headrest safety system that are not currently compatible with older seat systems.

Last edited by Digitalinkartist; 03-11-2010 at 09:18 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2010, 09:00 PM   #6
jimk
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 M550i

There are seat changes in newer years. 2009s come with Active Headrests and earlier seats are not compatible with MY 2009+ cars. Do you homework and get the right seats for the right model as they are very expensive and mistakes can be costly.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2010, 09:05 AM   #7
hdrewh
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '09 E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimk View Post
There are seat changes in newer years. 2009s come with Active Headrests and earlier seats are not compatible with MY 2009+ cars. Do you homework and get the right seats for the right model as they are very expensive and mistakes can be costly.
+1. I've been hunting for sport seats for my '09 and now know all too well that the crash-active head restraints are an additional challenge that I have yet to find anyone able to bypass yet. I'm more than willing to forego those head restraints but I do not want to look at the airbag warning light. fyi, the crash-active headrest connection looks like this (circled in red)...the wire runs down from the headrest, under the seat and into the 2-pin connector.

2009 E90 328i Montego Blue, Black Leather, 6MT, ZPP, Logic 7, HD radio, CA, fold-down seats, PDC. ED pickup 6/12/2009
mods: Koni FSDs, Eibach Pro's, Sport/Heated Seats, BMW Perf. short shifter, M-tech shift knob/e-brake handle/steering wheel, split armrest, black grilles, 50% tint, 3M clear bra.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2010, 12:08 PM   #8
acerboo
Brigadier General
England
Rep
Drives: e92 335d lci

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digitalinkartist View Post
Yes, yes, and yes.

Sport seats are 100% retrofittable. Just be sure that your e92 seats are replaced with Sport Pack seats from another e92. (E90/E91/E93 seats will not work) They will bolt right in.

Second there are rewiring diy's for power memory. Some involving tapping an existing 12v source, others involve creating a new fuse block section for a dedicated 12v out from the box. The DIY's I have seen use the factory fuse location for power seat option and are identical to factory specs when complete. Note: I am pretty sure you may need some sort of software fix for full functioning memory features)

Heated seats are retrofittable. This project requires a substantial amount wiring and the addition of a dedicated fuse box/block location, and the heated seat panel/button/harness for in dash factory button placement.

Caveat: Above information is only applicable to 2007-08 e92 model years. 2009 model and newer e92 seem to have an active headrest safety system that are not currently compatible with older seat systems.
can you point me in the right direction for a diy wiring guide thanks also do you know if the ac panel already has a socket for the heated switches
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2011, 02:01 PM   #9
H20atn
Rep
Drives: 320d

Has anyone a wiring diy
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2013, 04:16 PM   #10
sfin
Rep
Drives: e92 320d

Quote:
Originally Posted by H20atn View Post
Has anyone a wiring diy
Hi H20atn,
Sorry to bring up old posts, im facing the same issue, did you get your seats installed, i posted this to ask similar questions.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=823609
Appreciate 0