E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > HID fog light issue. Please help.

03-01-2010, 09:46 PM   #1
evotwelve
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW E90

HID fog light issue. Please help.

i have a issue, hopefully some one can help me out. I picked up a set of H11 8k for my fogs from a local company. I went with them because they give the capacitors free with the HID unit as long as you ask for them. going on a 2007 328i.

The issue I have ran into is the capacitors keep blowing out. I made sure the lights were wired correct, which give the flickering effect. If i wired it the other way, no power want so ever.

Don't know if someone is local that can help me out with this issue. They already sent me two sets of capacitors to help me out. I got one more set on the way and really don't want to mess those up.

here is what i did.
I wired them as such, just as instructed

here is the complete set up.

capacitors are prewired and cover as such

i cut one open a blown one to see what size capacitors they are, they are 10000

wired this way in order to get power cause as stated before, if i wired the other way, there is no power to the unit.

pretty much stuck right now and don't know what to do. any help would be great and if anyone local can help with this and get them to work, i would buy food or beer.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2010, 10:45 PM   #2
flipdsm
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Coupe

Ask if you can return them and get a full refund? If they refund you, I know a shop in the LA area that I bought my HID fog lights from, I got them for $105 with the capacitors and no problems whatsoever.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2010, 11:34 PM   #3
evotwelve
Captain
United_States
Rep

i might try to return them if these next capacitors don't work. The only thing i can see them saying no because the HID works just it won't work on my car. it didnt cost me much to get them.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2010, 09:46 PM   #4
evotwelve
Captain
United_States
Rep

anyone else?
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2010, 09:52 PM   #5
AlpineG05
hi
Rep
Drives: Alpine White G05

camaross, a vendor on here, sells HID fog light kits i'm in the process to the buying some, he maybe be able to help you out?

also MSD82, created lux angel eyes, could help you out shoot him a PM.
      03-02-2010, 10:07 PM   #6
JonLerd
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Alpine White 335i coupe

bmw polarity is reversed from the standard h8 connectors..make sure the brown wire goes to negative side. To accomplish this you might have to trim the connector in order to flip it. That is the reason why you would be blowing the capacitors
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2010, 11:57 PM   #7
evotwelve
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonLerd View Post
bmw polarity is reversed from the standard h8 connectors..make sure the brown wire goes to negative side. To accomplish this you might have to trim the connector in order to flip it. That is the reason why you would be blowing the capacitors
thanks, will double check that tomorrow. i did notice there is a solid brown wire and a brown with yellow in it. Just make sure the negative wire (black wire) is connect to the solid brown one, correct?
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2010, 12:13 AM   #8
JonLerd
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Alpine White 335i coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by evotwelve View Post
thanks, will double check that tomorrow. i did notice there is a solid brown wire and a brown with yellow in it. Just make sure the negative wire (black wire) is connect to the solid brown one, correct?
correct!
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2010, 10:56 AM   #9
evotwelve
Captain
United_States
Rep

Thanks JonLerd. I will try that.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2010, 11:02 AM   #10
stratplaya06
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 335xi-SOLD 5.0 Miata

Wires are definitely switched. I went through hell getting my HID fogs to work, but now they're perfect and I couldn't be happier.

Also look at the connector going into your ballast...the (-) sign has a red wire going to it. Alwyas try flipping the wires around and flip the switch for just a second to see if that's the problem

| PROcede Rev3 | Vishnu Meth | DCI | BMW Perf. Exhaust | AR Coated/Catless | CP-E FMIC | Quaife |
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2010, 03:20 PM   #11
evotwelve
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by stratplaya06 View Post
Wires are definitely switched. I went through hell getting my HID fogs to work, but now they're perfect and I couldn't be happier.

Also look at the connector going into your ballast...the (-) sign has a red wire going to it. Alwyas try flipping the wires around and flip the switch for just a second to see if that's the problem
i had the red wire going to the (-) because that was the only way they were getting power. I am definitely going to check everything this time around.
Appreciate 0