E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > What to check on a CPO thats been in inventory most of a year?

02-07-2009, 07:02 PM   #1
corpun
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: tl

What to check on a CPO thats been in inventory most of a year?

I'm looking at a 2007 CPO that's been in a dealers inventory since 5/08. What are some things to check since its been sitting for quite a while?

So far what I'm concerned about:

Tires, if the car has been parked in the same spot for a long time the tires may have flat spots.

Gas tank, not sure how much I need to worry about this but its my understanding that when a car sits for a long time that often the gas separates and can start to rust the tank

Battery, likely dead. Will it come back to life fully or need replacement?

What else should I be checking?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2009, 07:16 PM   #2
Houman21
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Nothin right now

Just because it has been in the inventory doesn't mean it hasn't been driven.
Good Luck!
      02-07-2009, 07:36 PM   #3
corpun
Enlisted Member
Rep

I know it almost certainly hasn't been sitting in the same spot the whole time but it may have not been moved for 3-4 months at a time.

It would be easier if it was local but its at a dealership about 700 miles from me.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2009, 08:02 PM   #4
Houman21
Captain
United_States
Rep

That's a tough one - the only saving grace here seems to be the fact that it's a CPO - so in terms of warranty you're covered. This may sound crazy, but would it be worth it to you to take a short flight to check out the car?
      02-07-2009, 08:07 PM   #5
Houman21
Captain
United_States
Rep

If it isn't an option you can do a full fluid flush, bleed brakes,change oil and filter, change air filter if needed. If the battery is dead then they should replace it. Bottom line though, if it's CPO then the dealer should take car of everything before you buy the car. Check for any HPFP issues or if the fuel pump has already been replaced.
      02-07-2009, 09:20 PM   #6
corpun
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houman21 View Post
If it isn't an option you can do a full fluid flush, bleed brakes,change oil and filter, change air filter if needed. If the battery is dead then they should replace it. Bottom line though, if it's CPO then the dealer should take car of everything before you buy the car. Check for any HPFP issues or if the fuel pump has already been replaced.
The HPFP is only on the 335i isn't it? This is a 328i. I'm not sure but I've only seen the fuel pump issues referenced on the 335.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2009, 09:28 PM   #7
corpun
Enlisted Member
Rep

Well, I sent an e-mail asking about the car and the response I got was that it was sold last night but the guy would love to help me find another car.

In inventory for 10 months yet it sold the night before I sent an email, I suppose that's theoretically possible but somehow I don't buy it. Perhaps I'm better off not doing business with them anyway.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2009, 09:37 PM   #8
corpun
Enlisted Member
Rep

Sorry if I sound cynical but this isn't the 1st time I've sent an inquiry about a car that a dealership still has listed to be told 'Oh we *just* sold it.' And then its still on their website and autotrader 2-3 weeks later.

One car a CA told me was sold the dealership continues to re-post on craigslist every day over a month later.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2009, 11:12 PM   #9
canrhea
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

its a way for them to get you to contact them i bet
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2009, 01:14 AM   #10
Houman21
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by corpun View Post
The HPFP is only on the 335i isn't it? This is a 328i. I'm not sure but I've only seen the fuel pump issues referenced on the 335.
Yes you are correct, I didn't see the model referenced in the thread so I assumed it was a 335 - my bad
      02-08-2009, 01:17 AM   #11
Houman21
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Sorry if I sound cynical but this isn't the 1st time I've sent an inquiry about a car that a dealership still has listed to be told 'Oh we *just* sold it.' And then its still on their website and autotrader 2-3 weeks later.

One car a CA told me was sold the dealership continues to re-post on craigslist every day over a month later.
You're in Northern Cali? Why don't you buy locally. I would think that there are a huge concentration of 2007 lease returns in cali. I would go as far as saying probably more than other states.
      02-08-2009, 01:45 AM   #12
corpun
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
You're in Northern Cali? Why don't you buy locally. I would think that there are a huge concentration of 2007 lease returns in cali. I would go as far as saying probably more than other states.
Prices here are higher than just about anywhere else in the country. Hell, SoCal dealers are more realistic on pricing. Dealers around here are asking 25-28k for friggin service loaners with steptronic and nothing else.

http://www.dealerfusion.com/search.a...toryno=1478568

http://www.dealerfusion.com/search.a...toryno=1587486

http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail...eadExists=true

Also, I'm refusing to buy a car w/out fold down rear seats and not too many in this area have cold weather pack or the stand alone option
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2009, 01:50 AM   #13
corpun
Enlisted Member
Rep

This is the car I was looking at, it'll probably still be on their website and autotrader for the foreseeable future too

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...e&rdpage=thumb
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2009, 01:56 AM   #14
corpun
Enlisted Member
Rep

Oddly enough car with more options than I want seem to be selling cheaper than the ones w/out the additional options. I don't want the sport pack or nav and thats eliminated some of the better deals.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2009, 03:13 AM   #15
Houman21
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Prices here are higher than just about anywhere else in the country. Hell, SoCal dealers are more realistic on pricing. Dealers around here are asking 25-28k for friggin service loaners with steptronic and nothing else.
That's crazy - have you checked with Will or Steve Oh @ longbeach BMW - even though you're looking at used, a commission is a commission right? I heard southbay has some deals too. Just remember that it is a buyers market, try some SoCal dealerships - there has got to be a car available here for you, fly down here and drive it back.

The listed price is not the final price - Good luck bro!
      02-08-2009, 02:58 PM   #16
corpun
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
That's crazy - have you checked with Will or Steve Oh @ longbeach BMW - even though you're looking at used, a commission is a commission right? I heard southbay has some deals too. Just remember that it is a buyers market, try some SoCal dealerships - there has got to be a car available here for you, fly down here and drive it back.

The listed price is not the final price - Good luck bro!
Thanks for the encouragement. I did actually get an email back from century west that they still have the car I'm interested in that they have. Gonna see if I can negotiate the price down to where I want to be.

I've mostly been looking for cars that have been in a dealers inventory a while, that they're more likely to be willing to seriously negotiate on. Seems like cars up here don't stick around that long, even at the higher prices.

LA would be an easy fly and drive back so I've been keeping my eyes open down there.

Last edited by corpun; 02-08-2009 at 04:48 PM..
Appreciate 0