E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > halogen to xenon conversion problem

02-04-2009, 10:23 PM   #1
niwad25
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 320i 325i 530d 335i

halogen to xenon conversion problem

so here is the story...i was purchased a pre-LCI bi xenon headlamp with all the other components included the footwell module from my friend who living in another city last month. Just after the item came, i went to BMW dealer to ask their help to install the xenon headlamp. However, they refuse to install my headlamp because i didn't brought the item from them. "that's the rule" they said. even my item are all OEM & i got all the part numbers right but they still reject it with hell a lot of illogical reason . After a long arguments, they accept to install my headlamp with 1 condition that if anything wrong happen during the installation the dealer will not responsible for it. IMO this just so unprofessional .

in the end, i install it in another workshop. after waiting a few hours, the installation was completed. there was no warning on the dash, & the headlamp works properly. however, there was a minor problems such as i could not open my windows from the central console & the rear light also didn't work properly. the head workshop told me that it need to do some coding first. the workshop got the programs & the computers but they just cannot do it. they got some communication problem they said (i don't know what is it). so they ask me to go back to BMW Dealer and ask their help to do some coding for the side windows & rear light.

On the next day, i went back to the dealer & they accept it. When the job finished, the window problem & the rear light problem was solved & they worked properly now. However a new problem came, there was a warning on the dash & the headlamp are always blinking around 10-15 times every time when i turned on the engine. So i went back to the workshop where the place i install the headlamp & i told the problem to them. They said, this problem happen because the car not being retrofit yet. In this case, i just get confused. Why the BMW Dealer only do a coding, they are professional with BMW and IMO they should know that they should also do a retrofit

So i went back again to BMW Dealer next day, & ask them to do a retrofit for the headlamp. A lot of arguments happen again this time. The person on the front desk just told me that they already did a retrofit for the headlamp yesterday, but actually they are not. Because someone from the workshop called the person who did the coding to my car yesterday & he said he still not do a retrofit because they are not asked to do it. Like always, after spending hell a lot of time for arguments & explaination they accept it again. A Few hours of waiting, my car was finished & the problem for the dash warning are gone. However the problem for the blinking light are still not being solved yet . the BMW Dealer also gave me a copy print of the retrofit job just for giving me a prove that all the retrofit are done correctly. but still, the light blinking problem cannot be solved. A good guy from BMW Dealer & i believe he is the head workshop recomended me to go back to the workshop who install my headlamp & ask them to do a double check. because he worried that they do a wrong installation.

Until now, the problem still not being solved yet, the light still blinking all the time. i just worried that my ballast could broken because of this. my car already went back to the workshop twice but still i don't have any good news about it do anybody know a solution for this?? please help
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2009, 10:48 PM   #2
a l l a n
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 2007 328xi

Garage List
2007 E90 328xi  [0.00]
Post up a pic of that dash error if you can. Maybe others can help you better if we see what you're referring to.
: Exterior: Blacklines, debadged, HO ceramic 35% tint, Hoen yellow fogs, matte black grille, OEM style splitters, Halogen-to-Xenon Interior: Alum pedals, CF wrapped trim, V1 and Nuvi hardwire, M-Tech tri-stitched wheel, SMG M5 shift knob Performance: AluFelgen CSL 19" 8.5 ET33/9.5 ET30 with 5mm rear spacers | GY Eagle F1 Asym 235/265, KW V3, BMW Perf exhaust+intake
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2009, 11:03 PM   #3
niwad25
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 320i 325i 530d 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by a l l a n View Post
Post up a pic of that dash error if you can. Maybe others can help you better if we see what you're referring to.
the dash error already gone now. the only problem left is only the blinking headlamp. but i still remember the warning picture on the dash, i did open the manual book & the picture is refer to headlight problems
Appreciate 0