BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
home
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General BMW News and Cars Discussion

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      02-09-2024, 10:04 AM   #1
Mani59
BMW Miniature Collector!
United Kingdom
13044
Rep
7,957
Posts

Drives: E38 735i SE Individual
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Leicestershire

iTrader: (1)

BMW i16 is the radical hybrid supercar (and i8 successor) that never was

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
Striking hybrid supercar, based on Vision M Next, was heavily inspired by the legendary M1



BMW designed a radical mid-engined hybrid supercar to succeed the i8 - but never put it into production.

Kept secret for four years but now revealed by BMW head designer Domagoj Dukec on social media, the i16 was a striking electrified supercar that could have been the M performance division's second bespoke model after the M1 supercar.

As it was, says Dukec, "the world changed in 2020" at the onset of the Covid pandemic, and "work on the project unfortunately had to be stopped".

BMW M has since revealed the XM hybrid SUV as its second bespoke product - a dramatically different proposition to the supercar revealed here.

It is a faithful evolution of the Vision M Next concept BMW revealed in 2019, albeit with some subtle revisions aimed at making it road-legal.

Dukec describes the car as having "all the style of a future classic", and notes the influence of the Guigiaro-designed M1 in its angular, cab-forward silhouette, vented rear arches and louvred engine lid.

The i16 was conceived to use the i8's composite structure Ė no doubt in a bid to cut development costs and thus bolster its viability as a production car Ė but it is not clear whether it would have used the same plug-hybrid powertrain.

The i8, BMW's first PHEV, paired a 1.5-litre turbocharged three-cylinder engine with an electric motor on the front axle for a total output of 356bhp and a 0-62mph time of 4.3 seconds - making it a natural rival to the Porsche 911.

A battery in the transmission tunnel gave an electric range of more than 30 miles in later cars.

It was produced from 2014 to 2020, being discontinued to make way for a new line of bespoke electric BMW models including the iX3, i4 and iX.

The Vision M Next hinted at what an i8 successor could look like, but plans to produce it were shelved over concerns about high R&D costs and low sales potential.

However, M boss Frank van Meel hinted to Autocar in 2022 that the door was not totally shut to the prospect of a new hybrid supercar: "Itís always something we can look at. As car guys, we are always dreaming of making such cars. It doesnít mean weíll make them, but we keep exploring those ideas.Ē

He said the concept's cancellation did not mean BMW was "not thinking of a super-sports car," tellingly adding that he was "always trying to figure out how it would work".





Source: https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/n...ssor-never-was


Attached Images
    
__________________


Visit my (mainly) BMW gallery http://jetone.co.uk
Appreciate 45
      02-09-2024, 01:26 PM   #2
Msparta
Second Lieutenant
309
Rep
294
Posts

Drives: X6M
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: -

iTrader: (0)

Would be great to see what is next officiallyÖ
Appreciate 4
Limegrntaln12701.00
Drj161594.50
      02-09-2024, 01:32 PM   #3
werdn
Lieutenant
werdn's Avatar
656
Rep
470
Posts

Drives: 997.1 GT3 Shark, ex E92 M3 ZCP
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Palos Verdes Peninsula (Los Angeles)

iTrader: (0)

I see some G80 cues in the front and iX in the rear. I guess this was where they got their inspiration from when designing those cars.
Appreciate 1
2srsman65.00
      02-09-2024, 01:45 PM   #4
Dgjo2022X5MC
First Lieutenant
Dgjo2022X5MC's Avatar
United_States
384
Rep
323
Posts

Drives: 2022X5MC, 2020 X5 40i
Join Date: Dec 2021
Location: Hartford, CT

iTrader: (0)

Amazing. Love it. Should have built this over XM. Maybe they will still go for it.
__________________
Dont be humble, give me that rumble. 2022 F95 X5MC, 2020 G05 40i, 2016 F86 X6M (sold), 2014 328ix F30 (totaled), 2009 e91 328ix (sold), 1997 740i e38 (nikasil fail)
Appreciate 25
reprod148.00
alphawawa179.50
HotRodM4644.50
JustChris17403.00
YXEM5183.50
cfm56d7b5742.00
ghaffari461046.00
jdhiro648.00
Mr.blue217.00
apez559.50
Tornado1M1185.00
fbuzila365.50
jmack1231289.00
Nachbar8022.00
Limegrntaln12701.00
The_Werm210.50
co_440i96.00
Drj161594.50
Tallest1263.00
cbertels1212.00
      02-09-2024, 01:57 PM   #5
Daaaadadundun
Private
118
Rep
65
Posts

Drives: One with wheels
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Hell

iTrader: (0)

I am getting sick and tired of BMW eternal teasing of an M1 successor. There is always some bs excuse not to build it. Now the excuse is the pandemic and yet they can give us the joke that is the XM.

Next time BMW needs to keep this to themselves and only make an announcement when they actually will release the successor to the M1 or a BMW supercar....
Appreciate 13
      02-09-2024, 01:57 PM   #6
reprod
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
148
Rep
1,727
Posts

Drives: '16 M3 ZCP
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Bay Area, CA

iTrader: (6)

The fact that he is publishing this is a sign that they are either trying to convince top brass to do it again (with the potentially positive public perception) or that BMW is recommitting to breathing some life into its hybrid lineup.

Fingers crossed this tech makes it into the next M3.
__________________
'11 Space Grey E92 335xi M-Sport (KWv1 Coils | Saddle Brown | Bamboo) (Returned)
'14 Mineral Grey F32 335i M-Sport (Dinan DHP | LED Lights | Coral Red | Hexagonal Aluminum) (Returned)
'16 Mineral Grey F80 M3 ZCP
Appreciate 4
n55f151186.50
apez559.50
buddenfan610.00
      02-09-2024, 02:22 PM   #7
VirtualGuitars
Major General
VirtualGuitars's Avatar
United_States
7606
Rep
5,612
Posts

Drives: 2024 BMW XM Label
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Houston, TX

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Looks great. To those of you that keep dissing the XM as just the worst vehicle that was ever madeÖ. Have you actually ever driven one?

I have an XM Label and it astonishes me every time I drive it. As hard as this is to believe, it feels like itís an M5 inside of an X7 chassis. Sure itís not for everyone, but I urge you to go test drive one before hating on it so harshly. Itís an incredible vehicle.

It does not feel or drive like an SUV. Go test drive one and I think youíll be surprised.
Attached Images
 
Appreciate 19
JustChris17403.00
2srsman65.00
BMR.WRLD129.00
Mr.blue217.00
apez559.50
Msparta308.50
Sedan_Clan24583.50
buddenfan610.00
jmack1231289.00
xmanpro2846.00
pgeyleg22.50
Adris134.50
AlexFL7826.00
      02-09-2024, 02:26 PM   #8
n55f15
First Lieutenant
1187
Rep
340
Posts

Drives: G42 M240I
Join Date: Nov 2020
Location: Canada

iTrader: (0)

Minus the orange

Name:  I16.png
Views: 6446
Size:  1.76 MB
Appreciate 31
JustChris17403.00
YXEM5183.50
chicagofan0018645.00
Mr.blue217.00
G30 B581524.50
apez559.50
Sedan_Clan24583.50
EXE462089.50
Hotflare179.00
emulajavi421.50
Nachbar8022.00
jefe2000705.50
co_440i96.00
Drj161594.50
Mike F.97.50
cbertels1212.00
ChrisM41478.50
DCG779.50
      02-09-2024, 02:46 PM   #9
VirtualGuitars
Major General
VirtualGuitars's Avatar
United_States
7606
Rep
5,612
Posts

Drives: 2024 BMW XM Label
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Houston, TX

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Canít wait to see the performance specs on this thing.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2024, 02:49 PM   #10
HotRodM4
Lieutenant
HotRodM4's Avatar
645
Rep
525
Posts

Drives: 2018 M4
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: NY

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
  [0.00]
Just put the S58 or a TT V8 in there 😍
__________________
?18 M4 Comp
Appreciate 7
      02-09-2024, 03:05 PM   #11
rockitman07
Frequent reader, seldom poster
rockitman07's Avatar
United_States
54
Rep
37
Posts

Drives: 2008 E92 M3, 2021 G05 X5 45e
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Bay Area, CA

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2021 BMW X5 45e  [0.00]
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by VirtualGuitars View Post
Looks great. To those of you that keep dissing the XM as just the worst vehicle that was ever madeÖ. Have you actually ever driven one?

I have an XM Label and it astonishes me every time I drive it. As hard as this is to believe, it feels like itís an M5 inside of an X7 chassis. Sure itís not for everyone, but I urge you to go test drive one before hating on it so harshly. Itís an incredible vehicle.

It does not feel or drive like an SUV. Go test drive one and I think youíll be surprised.
Certainly affinity to a particular car is subjective so it's great to hear that you love your car; that's the dream!

While I don't find it appealing I don't mind that it exists. What does bother me and may be at the root of some of the disfavor for it is that it feels like there was (and hopefully still is) an opportunity for M to produce a bespoke sports car unburdened by the envelope of an existing series car. An M1 successor could be one. Another would be a CSL car designed to be a 2-seater from scratch. There's a lot of grey area here but a truly lightweight M sports car continues to be out of reach. Just frustrating.
Appreciate 4
      02-09-2024, 03:10 PM   #12
VirtualGuitars
Major General
VirtualGuitars's Avatar
United_States
7606
Rep
5,612
Posts

Drives: 2024 BMW XM Label
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Houston, TX

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockitman07 View Post
Certainly affinity to a particular car is subjective so it's great to hear that you love your car; that's the dream!

While I don't find it appealing I don't mind that it exists. What does bother me and may be at the root of some of the disfavor for it is that it feels like there was (and hopefully still is) an opportunity for M to produce a bespoke sports car unburdened by the envelope of an existing series car. An M1 successor could be one. Another would be a CSL car designed to be a 2-seater from scratch. There's a lot of grey area here but a truly lightweight M sports car continues to be out of reach. Just frustrating.
The 2025 M5, which starts production this July, is bound to be an incredible vehicle with the same powerplant as the XM Label. I can only imagine how thatís going to feel with 738 hp in a 5-Series.

I came from an M550 and then had an iX M60 for about a year. The XM Label feels like both put together. Iíve lost a lot of money in the process, but in the end itís worth it. Itís insane that my XM handles almost as well an as aerodynamic sedan. I know the true M purists hate it because it doesnít look like their M3, but Iím willing to bet 99% of them havenít actually driven one. Looks are deceiving in this case.
Appreciate 2
buddenfan610.00
xmanpro2846.00
      02-09-2024, 03:22 PM   #13
beammeupscottie
Major
beammeupscottie's Avatar
No_Country
1052
Rep
1,151
Posts

Drives: 2024 X5 Comp BGM / Sahkir
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Los Angeles

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Imphasis on HYBRID! 👍🏽
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2024, 03:31 PM   #14
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
5742
Rep
10,164
Posts

Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Orange County, CA

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dgjo2022X5MC View Post
Amazing. Love it. Should have built this over XM. Maybe they will still go for it.
Echoing the same even with a higher sense of urgency. This car should have been seen on the factory floor.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2024, 03:42 PM   #15
VANOS
NFS
VANOS's Avatar
United_States
74
Rep
158
Posts

Drives: N/A
Join Date: May 2008
Location: N/A

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mani59 View Post
Striking hybrid supercar, based on Vision M Next, was heavily inspired by the legendary M1



BMW designed a radical mid-engined hybrid supercar to succeed the i8 - but never put it into production.

Kept secret for four years but now revealed by BMW head designer Domagoj Dukec on social media, the i16 was a striking electrified supercar that could have been the M performance division's second bespoke model after the M1 supercar.

As it was, says Dukec, "the world changed in 2020" at the onset of the Covid pandemic, and "work on the project unfortunately had to be stopped".

BMW M has since revealed the XM hybrid SUV as its second bespoke product - a dramatically different proposition to the supercar revealed here.

It is a faithful evolution of the Vision M Next concept BMW revealed in 2019, albeit with some subtle revisions aimed at making it road-legal.

Dukec describes the car as having "all the style of a future classic", and notes the influence of the Guigiaro-designed M1 in its angular, cab-forward silhouette, vented rear arches and louvred engine lid.

The i16 was conceived to use the i8's composite structure Ė no doubt in a bid to cut development costs and thus bolster its viability as a production car Ė but it is not clear whether it would have used the same plug-hybrid powertrain.

The i8, BMW's first PHEV, paired a 1.5-litre [...]

Yes yes yes!!!! They need this look back! I love it! 😍
Appreciate 3
      02-09-2024, 03:46 PM   #16
Bruce322
Enlisted Member
33
Rep
34
Posts

Drives: BMW X5, M6 Cab, X7
Join Date: Nov 2021
Location: PA

iTrader: (0)

BMW should fire the people who decided to start the XM development. A mid-engine BMW will generate more sales and boost the brand image much more than the XM.

I Heard BMW only sold like 500 XM last year. Porsche is able to sell about 5000 gt3 per year.
Appreciate 5
      02-09-2024, 03:55 PM   #17
VirtualGuitars
Major General
VirtualGuitars's Avatar
United_States
7606
Rep
5,612
Posts

Drives: 2024 BMW XM Label
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Houston, TX

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce322 View Post
BMW should fire the people who decided to start the XM development. A mid-engine BMW will generate more sales and boost the brand image much more than the XM.

I Heard BMW only sold like 500 XM last year. Porsche is able to sell about 5000 gt3 per year.
Go test drive one. I have an XM Label and I think the results will really surprise you. Every single XM that makes it to Houston sells within a matter of days or weeks. Is the vehicle misunderstood and was it mismarketed and too expensive? Absolutely, but that doesnít mean it isnít a beast of a vehicle - which it is. itís OK if you donít like it, but I urge you to go test drive one anyway. It really is a fun vehicle to drive.
Appreciate 3
VANOS74.00
Mr.blue217.00
      02-09-2024, 04:03 PM   #18
thaalrasha
First Lieutenant
No_Country
618
Rep
389
Posts

Drives: G81
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Ireland

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by VirtualGuitars View Post
Go test drive one. I have an XM Label and I think the results will really surprise you. Every single XM that makes it to Houston sells within a matter of days or weeks. Is the vehicle misunderstood and was it mismarketed and too expensive? Absolutely, but that doesnít mean it isnít a beast of a vehicle - which it is. itís OK if you donít like it, but I urge you to go test drive one anyway. It really is a fun vehicle to drive.
I'm not sure i see any relation between a mid engine super car and a big heavy SUV... Clearly BMW has made a choice that would satisfy the US and Chinese volume market over building a super car that would see much lower sales volume and even more development cost and bespoke parts. That's a sensible board decision and quite a boring one imho... but the goal is to make money .
Appreciate 5
      02-09-2024, 04:18 PM   #19
AP
Brigadier General
AP's Avatar
2575
Rep
4,894
Posts

Drives: G30 M550
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

I rather like that , better styling than most current BMWs in my opinion
Appreciate 1
VANOS74.00
      02-09-2024, 04:27 PM   #20
M2Cmtl
Major
873
Rep
1,143
Posts

Drives: 21 Q7 & 22 4XE
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Montreal

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by VirtualGuitars View Post
Go test drive one. I have an XM Label and I think the results will really surprise you. Every single XM that makes it to Houston sells within a matter of days or weeks. Is the vehicle misunderstood and was it mismarketed and too expensive? Absolutely, but that doesnít mean it isnít a beast of a vehicle - which it is. itís OK if you donít like it, but I urge you to go test drive one anyway. It really is a fun vehicle to drive.
It simply can't drive that well to jutify the price. An XM label is 335k out the door up here in Canada. A loaded X5M is 197k.

Some argue its a complete fail:

https://www.topgear.com/car-news/bes...the%20hundreds.
__________________
2020 M2C 24.04.2020 delivery - Sold 24.08.22
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2024, 04:28 PM   #21
VANOS
NFS
VANOS's Avatar
United_States
74
Rep
158
Posts

Drives: N/A
Join Date: May 2008
Location: N/A

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AP View Post
I rather like that , better styling than most current BMWs in my opinion
Agreed! Not into the beaver look loll 🦫

The one model that really captures my eyes is the new i5/5, looks gorgeous.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2024, 04:36 PM   #22
spademonkey
Private
spademonkey's Avatar
United_States
81
Rep
90
Posts

Drives: 2023 M2 6MT - Zandvoort Blue
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: San Diego

iTrader: (0)

Itís a shame BMW cancelled this car, rumors were it was supposed to be a 4 cylinder phev this time instead of a 3 cylinder phev like the i8. Rumored performance was supposed to be just over 500hp.

We even saw the mid engine M8 test mules running around the Nordschleife for a bit but I heard they fully cancelled it after the XM unfortunately flopped. Which is a shame cause itís a really great car to drive, but prohibitively expensive over an X5M or X6M which are both a full second faster 0-60 wise. XM is closer to G-Wagon AMG or Range Rover Sport LWB
Appreciate 2
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:08 PM.




g80
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST