BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics BMW M3 (G80), M4 (G82), CSL and 3.0 CSL General Forum

09-27-2023, 10:19 AM   #23
Limegrntaln
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 DG/BLk xDrive M4C Wk 34

Garage List
Well, if it wasn't Fugly before, it is, now! Jokes aside, this happened to me, one time. My 99 GSX got backed into about a week before I left for basic training. Luckily, I found out it was a friend that backed into it, after a party.

He came back the next day, and said, "take it to the body shop. Ill have them replace the whole door. I know you don't want anything fixed." He took care of it all. Which was actually nice, because I had a nice quarter sized door ding that needed to be fixed, anyway. The car was silver with a purple pearl effect from the factory. They ended up repainting the whole drivers side. Luckily, since he was paying cash, they took the whole drivers side apart.

Appreciate 1
      09-27-2023, 10:25 AM   #24
geko29
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fugly M3 View Post
I spoke with the guy yesterday and he said AAA was better than State Farm (my insurer) because they use all new parts no used doors from wherever like state farm would want to try. I don't know that for sure, but the thought of a donor door scared the **** out of me. It sounds as though I'll likely have to get mine involved anyway.
He's just saying that because he doesn't want to deal with State Farm's lawyers or pay the excess damages above his policy.

State Farm has been good with me for years on using OE parts and manufacturer-certified shops, both for the numerous times where they were subrogating against the other driver's insurance, as well as the one where I was at fault.

Appreciate 1
Fugly M35164.00
      09-27-2023, 10:59 AM   #25
nosbocaj
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 Competition xDrive

Garage List
Really sorry to see this my man. I was also backed into recently, but the damage is extremely minor (I made a post about it last week). I'm in the process of assessing whether or not I want to even do a claim, even with the other person's insurance accepting full liability. I hope you get a fixed car and are properly reimbursed for everything.

I wonder what it is about IOMG. It's like it's a magnet for people to hit.
Appreciate 1
Fugly M35164.00
      09-27-2023, 11:08 AM   #26
mcsquared
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '24 SSG G80 6m/t

Sorry to hear! Hope it gets resolved, quickly.
Appreciate 1
Fugly M35164.00
      09-27-2023, 11:12 AM   #27
biggripper
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 G80 M3 Comp xDrive

Man that sucks! Rotten luck! Hope everything works out!
FORMER ///F87 M2C | Sunset Orange/Orange | 6MT | Black 788M Wheels
FORMER ///F82 M4 | SSII | Full SO | 6MT | Black 437M Wheels
Appreciate 1
Fugly M35164.00
      09-27-2023, 02:08 PM   #28
Alpine300zhp
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 24 M4 Comp/24 X3 M40

Quote:
Thanks for all the positive thoughts. It's ruined in my mind, so that's all that really matters. Absent the BMW factory itself fixing it, I'll probably never get over it. I'm taking it to the BMW certified place today for whatever that's worth. I spoke with the guy yesterday and he said AAA was better than State Farm (my insurer) because they use all new parts no used doors from wherever like state farm would want to try. I don't know that for sure, but the thought of a donor door scared the **** out of me. It sounds as though I'll likely have to get mine involved anyway.

And, yea, I need to see how to get a diminished value claim. I keep my cars basically perfect and sell them after 2 years. That's basically going to be impossible to do now.
Just so that you know, you can purchase an OEM rider for your insurance policy that mandates only original manufacturer parts in the event of a collision or comprehensive claim. It’s pretty inexpensive and worth it IMHO.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2023, 02:29 PM   #29
SoCalBimmerGuy
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW M3 Individual

Quote:
Not a full job...but I'll label it under the IOMG curse anyway. Went to chiro and acupuncture to get all untweaked, came out to this!

Attachment 3286246

Attachment 3286247

Attachment 3286248

Was backed into by work truck in Manhattan Beach. Thankfully, Skechers HQ security cams had footage and homeowner was able to track down the worker who said he waited for 30 minutes but had to go to another job. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt because there's nothing I can do now as the damage is done and he fessed up. I'm guessing he's had a worse day than I did.

Anyway, his insurance, AAA, said there's a decent chance damage will be above his policy's coverage. Both doors are out of whack and can't be opened (rear door appeared fine at first, but it's lifted in the back). Windows go up/down. So, untweaked me became retweaked me climbing over the center to get in.

So, both doors and all the blending means I get to have a half-repainted car. Fun times!
Sorry you are going through this. I can't say this enough get rid of state farm. They are the worst when it comes to claims they cheap out on everything from the amount of paint used, labor hours, OEM new parts, the list goes on and on. Do yourself a favor and drop them like a bad habit. If you are down to take you car to San Diego we have one of the best auto body shops. I know that will be a PITA but I have taken many cars and referred many people there. Your car will not look better given the circumstances. Sorry again and drop State Farm. I have been with Mercury for years and love them. AIG Private Client and AMICA are a couple of other good ones. For the price nothing beats Mercury Insurance though. Good Luck again.

https://amatosautobody.com/
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2023, 12:28 AM   #30
Fugly M3
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3CX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine300zhp View Post
Just so that you know, you can purchase an OEM rider for your insurance policy that mandates only original manufacturer parts in the event of a collision or comprehensive claim. It’s pretty inexpensive and worth it IMHO.
Did not know that, but will look into adding it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalBimmerGuy View Post
Sorry you are going through this. I can't say this enough get rid of state farm. They are the worst when it comes to claims they cheap out on everything from the amount of paint used, labor hours, OEM new parts, the list goes on and on. Do yourself a favor and drop them like a bad habit. If you are down to take you car to San Diego we have one of the best auto body shops. I know that will be a PITA but I have taken many cars and referred many people there. Your car will not look better given the circumstances. Sorry again and drop State Farm. I have been with Mercury for years and love them. AIG Private Client and AMICA are a couple of other good ones. For the price nothing beats Mercury Insurance though. Good Luck again.

https://amatosautobody.com/
Will probably be changing soon. In the interim, looks like AAA isn't going to be able to cover it because repair alone is about $5k, plus rental and ceramic coating and my inquiry about diminished value. State Farm doesn't want me to bring that up is my read between the lines, so I reached out to a law firm in OC and hopefully I'll be able to get their idea of whether they're interested in pursuing. Bottom line is car was worth about $95-100k with the rims, MPHAS, and ceramic stuff and I'd probably have to sell it to a dealer for $80k post damage. Angle will be that plus loss of use which may just make it worth it for them. We'll see.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2023, 03:16 PM   #31
PVC
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 xDrive

This is why I prefer leasing.
2015 335i
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2023, 03:36 PM   #32
chicagofan00
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 M60i

Garage List
2024 BMW X5 M60i  [10.00]
Quote:
Will probably be changing soon. In the interim, looks like AAA isn't going to be able to cover it because repair alone is about $5k, plus rental and ceramic coating and my inquiry about diminished value. State Farm doesn't want me to bring that up is my read between the lines, so I reached out to a law firm in OC and hopefully I'll be able to get their idea of whether they're interested in pursuing. Bottom line is car was worth about $95-100k with the rims, MPHAS, and ceramic stuff and I'd probably have to sell it to a dealer for $80k post damage. Angle will be that plus loss of use which may just make it worth it for them. We'll see.
Highly doubt any law firm will want to get involved here given there are no injuries involved. We reached out to a couple of law firms when my wife’s Pilot was rear-ended by an uninsured driver causing $38k in damages and they had little to no interest in taking a case since there were no injuries involved.

Current - 2024 G05 X5 ///M60i in Java Green
Past - 2005 E53 X5 3.0i in Titanium Silver; 2008 E92 335i in Montego Blue; 2019 G01 X3 M40i in Glacier Silver; 2022 G80 M3 Competition in Twilight Purple
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2023, 03:48 PM   #33
Fugly M3
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagofan00 View Post
Highly doubt any law firm will want to get involved here given there are no injuries involved. We reached out to a couple of law firms when my wife’s Pilot was rear-ended by an uninsured driver causing $38k in damages and they had little to no interest in taking a case since there were no injuries involved.
I agree generally. The whole deal with them was this was specific practice around lost value/loss of use. I think they won’t get involved not because of the no injuries, but bc the car isn’t nice enough. Their list of recoveries was pretty incredible. Some exotics approached 6 figures.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2023, 08:27 PM   #34
barryc365
Major
Rep
Drives: BMWM3

I got hit recently and my wife did also coincidentally

I didn’t even bother dealing with their insurance

Just call your insurance with the details and let them figure it out. They will extract the max on your behalf and your insurance will pick up the slack if needed

FWIW my car actually came back from the body shop in better shape than it was pre accident. They took care of every single little imperfection. They even redid the PPF and did a way better job! Have faith, it’ll be fine

I’m doing diminished value claim right now
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2023, 10:37 AM   #35
Fugly M3
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryc365 View Post
I got hit recently and my wife did also coincidentally

I didn’t even bother dealing with their insurance

Just call your insurance with the details and let them figure it out. They will extract the max on your behalf and your insurance will pick up the slack if needed

FWIW my car actually came back from the body shop in better shape than it was pre accident. They took care of every single little imperfection. They even redid the PPF and did a way better job! Have faith, it’ll be fine

I’m doing diminished value claim right now
Who’s your insurance and how is the diminished value claim going? Any tips?
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2023, 10:40 AM   #36
barryc365
Major
Rep

I’m with Hanover but you claim the diminished value of the other parties insurance, in this case ‘all state’

I did a lot of research on how to do it and even got legal templates online (better than paying 20% win fee to a lawyer, it’s easily do able DIY. Told them I wasn’t fucking around and if they don’t pay me, I will see them in court. They’re taking it seriously and reviewing everything right now. Will report back!
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2023, 10:41 AM   #37
Fugly M3
Major General
Rep

Quote:
I’m with Hanover but you claim the diminished value of the other parties insurance, in this case ‘all state’

I did a lot of research on how to do it and even got legal templates online (better than paying 20% win fee to a lawyer, it’s easily do able DIY. Told them I wasn’t fucking around and if they don’t pay me, I will see them in court. They’re taking it seriously and reviewing everything right now. Will report back!
So you don’t file diminished value via your own? My issue is the other insurance is state minimum, or $5k.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2023, 10:44 AM   #38
barryc365
Major
Rep

[QUOTE=Fugly M3;30545426]So you don’t file diminished value via your own? My issue is the other insurance is state minimum, or $5k.

No, you go to the at fault party for diminished value in my state anyway (CT/NY).

You can sue them personally if they are underinsured. You could write them a letter and tell them that you will summons them to court unless they compensate you $x

If the person has no money or assets then your probably out of luck

My wife was also hit recently by a guy with zero insurance…I’m going to sue him.

Edit: BTW I calculated the diminished value of a G80 with a minor accident on the car fax at $24k! As did an independent assessor
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2023, 10:46 AM   #39
Fugly M3
Major General
Rep

[QUOTE=barryc365;30545436]
Quote:
So you don’t file diminished value via your own? My issue is the other insurance is state minimum, or $5k.

No, you go to the at fault party for diminished value in my state anyway (CT/NY).

You can sue them personally if they are underinsured. You could write them a letter and tell them that you will summons them to court unless they compensate you $x

If the person has no money or assets then your probably out of luck

My wife was also hit recently by a guy with zero insurance…I’m going to sue him.
Sounds like another case of if you’re poor, you’re judgment proof. Great.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2023, 10:48 AM   #40
barryc365
Major
Rep

Quote:
Sounds like another case of if you’re poor, you’re judgment proof. Great.
Yep! If they don’t have anything or any insurance they probably just get away Scott free!

That’s why insurance is gone crazy

But anyways…it could have been worse. It’s just a car and it’s perfect again!
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
bri10426026.00
kgelfen3602254.50
JDUNITNOW3568.50
      10-05-2023, 11:03 AM   #41
Needsdecaf
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2024 G80 Comp xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagofan00 View Post
There are law firms that specialize in diminished value claims.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2023, 11:13 AM   #42
samuraifuria
Private
Rep
Drives: Supra A91MT,M3 Comp Xdrive

Quote:
Not a full job...but I'll label it under the IOMG curse anyway. Went to chiro and acupuncture to get all untweaked, came out to this!

Attachment 3286246

Attachment 3286247

Attachment 3286248

Was backed into by work truck in Manhattan Beach. Thankfully, Skechers HQ security cams had footage and homeowner was able to track down the worker who said he waited for 30 minutes but had to go to another job. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt because there's nothing I can do now as the damage is done and he fessed up. I'm guessing he's had a worse day than I did.

Anyway, his insurance, AAA, said there's a decent chance damage will be above his policy's coverage. Both doors are out of whack and can't be opened (rear door appeared fine at first, but it's lifted in the back). Windows go up/down. So, untweaked me became retweaked me climbing over the center to get in.

So, both doors and all the blending means I get to have a half-repainted car. Fun times!
DAMMM how ironic,because your M3 got acupuncture aswell lol jk jk jk sorry
Appreciate 1
Fugly M35164.00
      10-05-2023, 11:38 AM   #43
barryc365
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Needsdecaf View Post
There are law firms that specialize in diminished value claims.
I think you can do it yourself and save yourself paying them 20-35% of the win

There is legal letter templates online. I’ll let you know how I get on but it’s pretty straightforward

If they don’t give me what I want, I’ll hire a lawyer then
Appreciate 1
kgelfen3602254.50
      10-05-2023, 11:51 AM   #44
kgelfen360
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
I think you can do it yourself and save yourself paying them 20-35% of the win

There is legal letter templates online. I’ll let you know how I get on but it’s pretty straightforward

If they don’t give me what I want, I’ll hire a lawyer then
Would they just pay out the difference to you in cash of the diminished value?
Appreciate 0