BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics BMW M3 (G80), M4 (G82), CSL and 3.0 CSL General Forum

03-07-2023, 07:37 AM   #1
bri1042
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2021 IOMG M3 6MT

Happy 2nd Birthday to my Frog (Long Morning Coffee Post)

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
Two years ago this morning, I woke up to a no-plans Sunday and went for a drive in my M2C, a car I loved but had issues with. My SO couldn't come along as he was studying for an advanced nursing certification. I stopped for coffee and browsed my local dealership's website. I was surprised to find that they had two new G8x's on the site with actual pictures (so not in transit).

I emailed my sales human on a whim, not expecting a response, and he called back before my coffee was half consumed to tell me that the Green car was actually available as the person who was going to buy it backed out.

I had no intention of actually selling my M2C that morning and buying the most controversial-nosed car BMW had ever produced (up to that point...). I did not expect to actually like the way the car looked overall. Plus, it was green. I'd never considered buying a green car in the past. We had no reviews of the car yet and no idea if it was actually good to drive. And I had a TON of audio equipment in the M2. It was not ready to hand over to anyone.

I finished my coffee, let me SO know that I wouldn't be home right away, and drove over to the dealership. Just to look. Just to see that crazy nose in person.

When I got there, my sales human left me alone to look at it and think. I had him figure out what they'd give me for the M2C, still with no expectations of a transaction actually occurring. The car market hadn't gone nuts yet. Used car prices were up a bit, but the crazy markups hadn't taken over the world yet.

I was floored by the way the car looked when I saw it. I couldn't say if I liked the front end or not when I saw it, but it certainly made an impression. The rest of the car was gorgeous, and the green color was stunning. The spec on the car wasn't quite right based on what I'd done on the configurator. Aluminum hex interior instead of carbon fiber. No full leather and the interior was black (which is easy but not what I was thinking). No carbon seats, either. It was a HEA car, and missing blind spot monitoring, which I'd never had but sort of wanted. But it had the parking and exec packs...the important bits. The seats were wonderful to sit in, and when my hand dropped onto the 6MT shifter, it had me. I sat for a moment or two and went to tell my sales human that I wanted it.

We worked out the deal. No markup and the purchase price of my M2C was acceptable. The deal would have been very different six months later, probably with a markup but more money for the M2. I'm actually terrible at negotiating on cars, so I probably got screwed a bit...but I've come to accept that when I buy cars. I leased it mostly because while I was sure I wanted it, I also didn't feel a lot of confidence that I'd finally found the right BMW for me after 3 cars that I initially loved and then ended up disappointed with before I hit the two year mark.

I had to leave it there for 3 days due to the embargo and drove my M2C that I no longer owned home to remove my audio equipment. I spent a couple more days with it, wondering if I'd made a horrible mistake.

Two years and 12,558 miles went by so fast.

I have been entirely satisfied with my Frog. It has been an utter joy to drive, even in heavy rain. I haven't done any mods other than buying a set of 963M wheels for summer and putting PS4 AS's on my 826s for the rainy half of the year. It hasn't really felt like it needed anything. I can't lower it as I wouldn't be able to get up my driveway. Sometimes I want to alter the audio system, but I haven't as I was able to properly balance the HK audio for the driver's seat and adjust the sound enough to call it OK. Zero warranty issues. I had one recall for the seatbelts.

I've posted in other threads about the Manual transmission. I still don't think it's as good as the Honda 5MTs and 6MTs that I spent decades driving, but none of those transmissions were dealing with even half the power this engine pushes through its drivetrain. I'm deeply thankful that the initial stiffness of the stick has worked itself out. When the car is warmed up, this 6MT is a joy. My reflexes have adjusted to the CDV and the other quirks of the system. In warranty, I won't alter it.

Overall balance and usability as an "only car" solution has been nearly perfect. Where the M2C couldn't quite fit adults in the back and the trunk wasn't quite big enough, my M3 has done everything I've asked of it without an issue. I've had at least as much fun in this car as any other car I've had, even with the rose-colored glasses I always have on when I remember my Integra GS-R.

In a year, I have to deal with the mistake I made choosing to lease the car instead of buying it. My residual isn't high, so it won't be a big deal however I go about it. This is the big difference between how the M3 has made me feel vs. my last 4 BMW's at two years. The first one was only in my possession for 7 months, so it doesn't count. The other three, when I hit two years, I knew I wasn't going to keep them long term. With this car, the question isn't if I'm going to keep it, it's just the annoyance of having to deal with the lease buy-out. I don't think there's another car out there that I want more than the one I have. I do not know of any car other than the CT4 BW that could fill this car's shoes. Something significant will have to occur for me to let go of this car. I adore my frog and I'm thrilled that I finally found a BMW that exceeded my expectations instead of falling short over time.

If I have one regret with my car, it's what the G8x (and some subsequent models) have done to the BMW community. The split that they caused. How clear it became that how a car drives is less important than a silly nose to some folk. I guess I knew that it was all about status and looks to some people in the car community, but I don't think I realized how many folk don't put the drive first and everything else second. I respect that stance, folk should get what they want out of an expensive purchase and if how it looks is why they buy it, that becomes entirely valid. Silly to wish that we could all respect each other more and not be so mean, but the G8x has been the wedge that broke this community. I don't regret being on the side of this argument that I'm on, I just regret that there are sides at all.

Here's to year 3 and all the fun drives to come!

Attaching the first pic I took of her.
Attached Images

Last edited by bri1042; 03-07-2023 at 03:13 PM.. Reason: typo
Appreciate 89
2011ninja3325.50
LuckyBrand1141.50
MMM.PWR3440.00
zero213247.50
vj1233784.00
02M3ForMe4255.50
wtwo317864.00
JeetG80x311.50
Nkr151120.50
wesleyan921344.50
DavidXJ661.50
AWDSOME626.00
Pilla579.50
Nate.G82521.00
wazzza854.00
M3 boi3211.00
eman45171693.00
ASAP10052.50
yousefnjr6112.00
kamichael336.00
cfm56d7b5849.00
M3ANSPEC393.00
Dlowm34.50
cncmastr1568.50
pgeyleg22.50
2srsman68.00
Aalfred2577.50
ibmc127.00
      03-07-2023, 08:55 AM   #2
2011ninja
Colonel
Jamaica
Rep
Drives: 2022 G80 6MT

Great read!

I remember the first time I saw the G80 M3. Absolutely loved it!

1 year 13K 2022 G80 6MT!

Car is an absolute weapon and at the same time plenty of luxury and practical!
Appreciate 5
bri10425752.50
LuckyBrand1141.50
2srsman68.00
Scorp!on1510.00
      03-07-2023, 02:11 PM   #3
johnxm3
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 ZCP DCT

That was a VERY good read for my afternoon poop. Thanks!
Appreciate 17
      03-07-2023, 02:11 PM   #4
EatThatLunchBaby
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: ‘23 M3 Comp xDrive

Garage List
Thank you for the post, it was a great read! I share a lot of your same sentiments and this car definitely seems to be something special
Appreciate 1
bri10425752.50
      03-07-2023, 02:14 PM   #5
r0wr
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Beater

Great post, really loving the perspective here. I haven’t driven the S58 but considered the G80 to replace my current F82. Green is a great color and your spec looks awesome! Love that you went to 963M, great looking wheel.
Appreciate 1
bri10425752.50
      03-07-2023, 02:42 PM   #6
antzcrashing
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 440i GC

Garage List
Love this, frog is a great name
Appreciate 1
bri10425752.50
      03-07-2023, 02:48 PM   #7
bartginger
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2

Beautifully written. Enjoy your car!
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2023, 02:49 PM   #8
eddj
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 M240i xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by bri1042 View Post
Two years ago this morning, I woke up to a no-plans Sunday and went for a drive in my M2C, a car I loved but had issues with. My SO couldn't come along as he was studying for an advanced nursing certification. I stopped for coffee and browsed my local dealership's website. I was surprised to find that they had two new G8x's on the site with actual pictures (so not in transit).

I emailed my sales human on a whim, not expecting a response, and he called back before my coffee was half consumed to tell me that the Green car was actually available as the person who was going to buy it backed out.

I had no intention of actually selling my M2C that morning and buying the most controversial-nosed car BMW had ever produced (up to that point...). I did not expect to actually like the way the car looked overall. Plus, it was green. I'd never considered buying a green car in the past. We had no reviews of the car yet and no idea if it was actually good to drive. And I had a TON of audio equipment in the M2. It was not ready to hand over to anyone.

I finished my coffee, let me SO know that I wouldn't be home right away, and drove over to the dealership. Just to look. Just to see that crazy nose in person.

When I got there, my sales human left me alone to look at it and think. I had him figure out what they'd give me for the M2C, still with no expectations of a transaction actually occurring. The car market hadn't gone nuts yet. Used car prices were up a bit, but the crazy markups hadn't taken over the world yet.

I was floored by the way the car looked when I saw it. I couldn't say if I liked the front end or not when I saw it, but it certainly made an impression. The rest of the car was gorgeous, and the green color was stunning. The spec on the car wasn't quite right based on what I'd done on the configurator. Aluminum hex interior instead of carbon fiber. No full leather and the interior was black (which is easy but not what I was thinking). No carbon seats, either. It was a HEA car, and missing blind spot monitoring, which I'd never had but sort of wanted. But it had the parking and exec packs...the important bits. The seats were wonderful to sit in, and when my hand dropped onto the 6MT shifter, it had me. I sat for a moment or two and went to tell my sales human that I wanted it.

We worked out the deal. No markup and the purchase price of my M2C was acceptable. The deal would have been very different six months later, probably with a markup but more money for the M2. I'm actually terrible at negotiating on cars, so I probably got screwed a bit...but I've come to accept that when I buy cars. I leased it mostly because while I was sure I wanted it, I also didn't feel a lot of confidence that I'd finally found the right BMW for me after 3 cars that I initially loved and then ended up disappointed with before I hit the two year mark.

I had to leave it there for 3 days due to the embargo and drove my M2C that I no longer owned home to remove my audio equipment. I spent a couple more days with it, wondering if I'd made a horrible mistake.

Two years and 12,558 miles went by so fast.

I have been entirely satisfied with my Frog. It has been an utter joy to drive, even in heavy rain. I haven't done any mods other than buying a set of 963M wheels for summer and putting PS4 AS's on my 826s for the rainy half of the year. It hasn't really felt like it needed anything. I can't lower it as I wouldn't be able to get up my driveway. Sometimes I want to alter the audio system, but I haven't as I was able to properly balance the HK audio for the driver's seat and adjust the sound enough to call it OK. Zero warranty issues. I had one recall for the seatbelts.

I've posted in other threads about the Manual transmission. I still don't think it's as good as the Honda 5MTs and 6MTs that I spent decades driving, but none of those transmissions were dealing with even half the power this engine pushes through its drivetrain. I'm deeply thankful that the initial stiffness of the stick has worked itself out. When the car is warmed up, this 6MT is a joy. My reflexes have adjusted to the CDV and the other quirks of the system. In warranty, I won't alter it.

Overall balance and usability as an "only car" solution has been nearly perfect. Where the M2C couldn't quite fit adults in the back and the trunk wasn't quite big enough, my M3 has done everything I've asked of it without an issue. I've had at least as much fun in this car as any other car I've had, even with the rose-colored glasses I always have on when I remember my Integra GS-R.

In a year, I have to deal with the mistake I made choosing to lease the car instead of buying it. My residual isn't high, so it won't be a big deal however I go about it. This is the big difference between how the M3 has made me feel vs. my last 4 BMW's at two years. The first one was only in my possession for 7 months, so it doesn't count. The other three, when I hit two years, I knew I wasn't going to keep them long term. With this car, the question isn't if I'm going to keep it, it's just the annoyance of having to deal with the lease buy-out. I don't think there's another car out there that I want more than the one I have. I do not know of any car other than the CT4 BW that could fill this car's shoes. Something significant will have to occur for me to let go of this car. I adore my frog and I'm thrilled that I finally found a BMW that exceeded my expectations instead of fell short over time.

If I have one regret with my car, it's what the G8x (and some subsequent models) have done to the BMW community. The split that they caused. How clear it became that how a car drives is less important than a silly nose to some folk. I guess I knew that it was all about status and looks to some people in the car community, but I don't think I realized how many folk don't put the drive first and everything else second. I respect that stance, folk should get what they want out of an expensive purchase and if how it looks is why they buy it, that becomes entirely valid. Silly to wish that we could all respect each other more and not be so mean, but the G8x has been the wedge that broke this community. I don't regret being on the side of this argument that I'm on, I just regret that there are sides at all.

Here's to year 3 and all the fun drives to come!

Attaching the first pic I took of her.
great read ! can you please post/screenshot your HK audio settings? as I am still trying to find to properly balance mine as well but wasnt unable to until now
Appreciate 1
HK484.00
      03-07-2023, 02:52 PM   #9
Znomorph4theWin
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M3 Comp M xDrive

Great story and fwiw, I luv’d the g8x snoz right from the get go.
Appreciate 3
bri10425752.50
2011ninja3325.50
      03-07-2023, 02:58 PM   #10
supershaft
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 992 GT3, Cayenne Turbo

green colors are simply phenomenal on M3s. love it!
Appreciate 2
bri10425752.50
      03-07-2023, 03:09 PM   #11
bri1042
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddj View Post
great read ! can you please post/screenshot your HK audio settings? as I am still trying to find to properly balance mine as well but wasnt unable to until now
I'm often hesitant to do so as different ears and what music you play can really alter alter what you need to do in a compromised setting like a car. The one thing I'll say right now is that both Bass and Treble cannot be raised without causing the midrange to get extremely hollow.

I also do not try to balance sound for all seats, as it isn't possible without hardware and tuning that I don't have installed. Sound is balanced for my seat by shifting right (left-hand drive) and slightly to the back to reduce the "I'm too close to the driver's side speakers" issue. And the silly Center channel.

If I go out today, I'll try to remember to snap a pic of the EQ, but I make zero warranties as to the usefulness of it if the music you listen to falls in the genres that are "mostly bass and treble".
Appreciate 1
eddj455.50
      03-07-2023, 03:27 PM   #12
shgpt
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: G16 850i, F87 M2c, E92 335is

Really don't agree with the G80 over F87 take but your writing is really good! I checked out your profile to read some past posts too!
Appreciate 2
yoboi76.50
      03-07-2023, 03:34 PM   #13
MichaelB1969
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 G80 Base SSG/Fiona

Great read. I found it entertaining as my car continues to sit at 182 status.

I'm hoping I feel the same way about mine. One car that does many things well was my goal in moving from a dedicated sports car and daily driver to one car.
Appreciate 2
bri10425752.50
      03-07-2023, 03:38 PM   #14
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5

Nominating your article for the best short story of the month.

IOMG is a timeless color. Congrats!
Appreciate 2
bri10425752.50
      03-07-2023, 03:45 PM   #15
jamesmichael
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 435i (Sport Line, M-Brake

I’ll take it ****

I love the green
Appreciate 1
      03-07-2023, 03:55 PM   #16
bri1042
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shgpt View Post
Really don't agree with the G80 over F87 take but your writing is really good! I checked out your profile to read some past posts too!
The F87C is a great car. I still smile every time I see one and probably always will. My issues with mine were use-case and revolved around my "one car at a time" requirements, and my desire to go back to a manual transmission (mine was DCT) before they all go away.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2023, 04:31 PM   #17
SimsimmaM3
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '23 M3 Comp xDrive

Garage List
2023 BMW M3Cx  [0.00]
Great read, thanks for sharing. I thought blind spot monitoring was standard on the M3/M4?
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2023, 04:36 PM   #18
bri1042
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimsimmaM3 View Post
Great read, thanks for sharing. I thought blind spot monitoring was standard on the M3/M4?
It is. It was missing from some of the HEA (initial supply cars) and we got a $500 credit for it being missing.
Appreciate 3
Sedan_Clan24818.50
      03-07-2023, 05:08 PM   #19
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep
Drives: E90M/E92M/M4GTS/M4GT4/X5M

Great post, thank you for sharing.

It's sad that the bmw community tends to trip over itself hating whatever is new. If there is one thing that has been constant in the M3 saga its change, and that's alright.

I have 4 M cars right now but am pending to add a 6mt green G80 just like yours. I give thanks that BMW is still making manual, rwd cars with fantastic chassis, engines and track performance and all that at a perfectly reasonable price.

Ps: please post the HK settings you landed on!
Appreciate 1
PNWM3526.00
      03-07-2023, 07:31 PM   #20
snowbimmer
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M850 GC - Carbon Black

Garage List
2022 M850 GC  [10.00]
Great write-up. I thought something looked familiar about your picture.
We use the same dealership. I remember your car when it was sitting there. Isle of Man is a marvelous color on the M3.
Appreciate 1
bri10425752.50
      03-07-2023, 09:46 PM   #21
Kevin_The_Clean1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3 MC

bri1042 I really enjoyed this true story & excellent writeup you just did. I too turned down the thought of "buying the most controversial-nosed car BMW had ever produced" for a while. Just based on how the end looked. And the very first G80 M3 I laid eyes when it finally got released to the public (was an IOM sedan as well) during the initial embargo. The thought provoking & food for thought article you just wrote has caused me to rethink my past decisions & you bring up a great point. As divided as some of us have become (regarding that front clip) the more important aspect of the car "how it drives" is unmistakable & without a doubt superb. There is rarely a debate (expect from a few Porsche owners) on how well it performs on both the street and track. Because of the way you wrote your commentary I might begin looking at these awesome machines a little differently now.

2017 F87 M2 - Sold & missed
2020 F97 X3 M Competition - Finally arrived ///
Appreciate 1
bri10425752.50
      03-07-2023, 11:07 PM   #22
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

All that text and only one pic?
Appreciate 1
snowbimmer5001.00