bimmerpost/
BMW M2 and 2-Series Coupe
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
BMW 2 Series Technical Topics (G42) Cosmetic Modifications (Exterior, Interior, Lighting)

02-11-2023, 09:30 AM   #1
Portimaoblau
Registered
Germany
Rep
Drives: G42 M240xi, G20 330xi

M Performance Carbon Interior Trim on a 2023 G42

Hey guys,

I'm planning on getting the M Performance Interior Trim for my upcoming G42.
Has anyone already installed this kit on a 2023 G42 and can tell me whether this is also possible with the illuminated M accents,
which unfortunately cannot be deselected?
The trim for the dashboard comes with a bar that should be illuminated, when you have the ambient lighting. Is it still possible then?
The illumination of the original M accents are only one color.

Many thanks in advance for your answers.

Greetings!
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2023, 01:25 PM   #2
Coconut
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 M240i xDrive

No one knows for sure yet. It might be in the instructions but I don’t see them anywhere online yet. I would think the ambient light strip on the new dash piece for ID8 would not work unless a dealer codes it back in.
      02-12-2023, 10:03 PM   #3
PNTDG42
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G42, F97 LCI, EBA R35, Z34

I think that the CF dash trim will eliminate the dash illumination in a G42. I don’t think the strip of illumination in a G20/G80 is integrated into that dash trim part, I think it’s right under it. I could be wrong.

edit: nevermind, I am wrong. I found some G20 people installing the ID7 kit and saw the ambient lighting is indeed on that dash trim panel. So now its interesting to wonder if the ID8 kit is PnP to the G20 M Illumination or what.

Last edited by PNTDG42; 02-13-2023 at 12:03 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2023, 04:01 AM   #4
Portimaoblau
Registered
Germany
Rep
Drives: G42 M240xi, G20 330xi

Yeah, or maybe you'll only get a white illumination, when you install it on a G42 with the illuminated m accents. I don't know if it is software sided coded to glow only white or if they just use LEDs, that only glow white and let the software run like normal.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2023, 12:49 PM   #5
PNTDG42
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Portimaoblau View Post
Yeah, or maybe you'll only get a white illumination, when you install it on a G42 with the illuminated m accents. I don't know if it is software sided coded to glow only white or if they just use LEDs, that only glow white and let the software run like normal.
That’s exactly what was on my mind.. is the software only commanding white to those spots, or do the LEDs there just only show white. Or maybe it’s even just a matter of leaving 1 pin out of the harness. Only one way to find out, I’m guessing.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2023, 06:37 PM   #6
PNTDG42
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

I think this is the OE gloss carbon dash trim for an ID8 3-series.

https://parts.bmwnorthwest.com/p/BMW...457886283.html

Who wants to be the first to try it? This feels like something Coconut would be all over :nudge:

I have a feeling the entire ID8 dash screen/cluster might have to come off to swap that dash trim. Its awfully close. I am extremely curious if this part is an option for us, but dont think I have the nerve to take the chance on it.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2023, 07:20 PM   #7
Coconut
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 M240i xDrive

M Performance ID8 Matte Carbon Fiber Full Set
https://paddleshifterz.com/product/o...-95-5-a42-429/

G80 M3 ID8 Gloss Carbon Fiber Full Set
https://paddleshifterz.com/product/o...urved-display/

G80 M3 ID8 Gloss Carbon Fiber Dash Trim
https://paddleshifterz.com/product/o...ashboard-trim/

I believe G80/G82 dash/trim parts are compatible with G42 however there is still a chance it might not be. The ID8 Screen would for sure have to come out. I've been trying to find a way to remove it with no luck, hoping instructions or a DIY pops up soon so I can see how it goes together.

I thought about getting just the carbon dash piece however I quite like the M Illumination on mine so I probably won't be getting it.
      02-16-2023, 08:15 PM   #8
PNTDG42
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Once the US parts stores start listing the M Performance kit, hopefully the m340i community will start buying it up and then we can get a preview of what it takes to remove the screen and install.

I like the M illumination dash as well. Only downside it that it doesn’t project any light really, it’s just what you see locally.

Overall the ambient lighting is pretty dim in the g42. My X3 is much brighter and projects much more. Maybe its an ID7 versus ID8 thing? Maybe I am just way too into this ambient lighting stuff lately.

I did buy the components to retrofit the door pocket ambient lights and I have them here now. My first shot at the connectors for them was wrong though, and now I have new ones on order. BMW has a bunch of different LED modules. Some of them appear identical other than the color plastic used in the housing. I am thinking that might indicate a different brightness/output but not clear on that yet.

Last edited by PNTDG42; 02-16-2023 at 09:20 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2023, 10:29 AM   #9
MrPickles
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M240ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNTDG42 View Post
Once the US parts stores start listing the M Performance kit, hopefully the m340i community will start buying it up and then we can get a preview of what it takes to remove the screen and install.

I like the M illumination dash as well. Only downside it that it doesn’t project any light really, it’s just what you see locally.

Overall the ambient lighting is pretty dim in the g42. My X3 is much brighter and projects much more. Maybe its an ID7 versus ID8 thing? Maybe I am just way too into this ambient lighting stuff lately.

I did buy the components to retrofit the door pocket ambient lights and I have them here now. My first shot at the connectors for them was wrong though, and now I have new ones on order. BMW has a bunch of different LED modules. Some of them appear identical other than the color plastic used in the housing. I am thinking that might indicate a different brightness/output but not clear on that yet.
I'm interested in the details on that... I want to retrofit mine as well.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2023, 10:02 PM   #10
orionstudt
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: G42 M240i

I've been wondering about this as well. I really hope that, if removing the ID8 screen is necessary, that it isn't too much of a hassle.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2023, 09:13 AM   #11
DAXXR
M2 comp
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

FYI

The G42 id8 M Performance carbon interior trim kit does not include the dash plate.

Which is a shame as that's the part I liked the most, so I decided not to bother ordering the kit.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2023, 09:23 AM   #12
orionstudt
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAXXR View Post
FYI

The G42 id8 M Performance carbon interior trim kit does not include the dash plate.

Which is a shame as that's the part I liked the most, so I decided not to bother ordering the kit.
I haven’t installed it yet but I have a set that includes the dashboard plate, assuming you mean the matte carbon.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2023, 02:21 AM   #13
DAXXR
M2 comp
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

That's what the dealer told me about the M Performance matte carbon factory kit, dash plate not included for ID8 cars.

UK rhd, might be different for LHD
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2023, 05:10 AM   #14
orionstudt
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAXXR View Post
That's what the dealer told me about the M Performance matte carbon factory kit, dash plate not included for ID8 cars.

UK rhd, might be different for LHD
Here’s the part on bmw USA which includes dash plate:
https://www.shopbmwusa.com/product/16312/BMW-M-PERFORMANCE-INTERIOR-TRIMS-IN-CARBON-FIBER-ALCANTARA

I ordered it from Paddleshifterz into the US. Here is their link:
https://paddleshifterz.com/product/oem-m-performance-carbon-alcantara-interior-trim-kit-for-lci-vehicles-with-the-big-display-51-95-5-a42-425-51-95-5-a42-429/

However it looks like their site is currently down.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2023, 01:57 PM   #15
PNTDG42
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by orionstudt View Post
I haven’t installed it yet but I have a set that includes the dashboard plate, assuming you mean the matte carbon.
Did the dash plate come with the G20/G80 ambient strip across the bottom of the aluminum piece? If your car had the M-Ambient option, I wonder if that strip will follow the color setting or stay white. Or maybe it needs to be coded at the dealer to make it change colors at that location.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2023, 02:00 PM   #16
orionstudt
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Did the dash plate come with the G20/G80 ambient strip across the bottom of the aluminum piece? If your car had the M-Ambient option, I wonder if that strip will follow the color setting or stay white. Or maybe it needs to be coded at the dealer to make it change colors at that location.
I’d have to look at it again but candidly that was not a concern for me because I did not care about losing the LED strip and having zero LED on the dash plate.

I’m sure that’s what the dealer meant - they don’t make a dash plate that integrates with the G42 ambient lighting. I was content with losing it as I don’t care for it.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2023, 02:12 PM   #17
PNTDG42
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
I’d have to look at it again but candidly that was not a concern for me because I did not care about losing the LED strip and having zero LED on the dash plate.

I’m sure that’s what the dealer meant - they don’t make a dash plate that integrates with the G42 ambient lighting. I was content with losing it as I don’t care for it.
https://assets.shopbmwusa.com/assets...4-03_16312.jpg

If the photo on their website is accurate, it should be there. And from what I have seen under the door panel looking at the various LEDs under there, I would bet that it has the same connector as the ambient light already on the M240i dash trim. So it probably plugs in assuming the plug locations are close enough for the wires to reach. I bet it will work.

The M-Ambient lights in the door panel just stay white no matter what color you choose in iDrive, and the tri color bars come from the colors in the actual lens/cover. So I am currently theorizing that if you plug in that ambient light when installing, it will probably just show white light no matter what iDrive setting you choose, assuming your car had M-Ambient to begin with. If you dont have M-Ambient option, I am theorizing it will just work perfectly and change colors with the settings.

I get that you dont personally care, but I am curious and most other people will be as well.
Appreciate 1
      06-30-2023, 02:21 PM   #18
orionstudt
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
https://assets.shopbmwusa.com/assets...4-03_16312.jpg

If the photo on their website is accurate, it should be there. And from what I have seen under the door panel looking at the various LEDs under there, I would bet that it has the same connector as the ambient light already on the M240i dash trim. So it probably plugs in assuming the plug locations are close enough for the wires to reach. I bet it will work.

The M-Ambient lights in the door panel just stay white no matter what color you choose in iDrive, and the tri color bars come from the colors in the actual lens/cover. So I am currently theorizing that if you plug in that ambient light when installing, it will probably just show white light no matter what iDrive setting you choose, assuming your car had M-Ambient to begin with. If you dont have M-Ambient option, I am theorizing it will just work perfectly and change colors with the settings.

I get that you dont personally care, but I am curious and most other people will be as well.
I hear you, if the connector is there I will for sure connect it. It just wasn’t something I factored into my purchase decision personally.

FWIW I just have the normal ambient in mine (color adjustable) and not the M ambient.

I have a new puppy so am busy and haven’t been able to do the mods that I have on my new car yet, but can report back when I do!
Appreciate 3
PNTDG42469.00
TJZ67201842.50
      06-30-2023, 04:30 PM   #19
OriginalFake
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 M240i

Quote:
I hear you, if the connector is there I will for sure connect it. It just wasn’t something I factored into my purchase decision personally.

FWIW I just have the normal ambient in mine (color adjustable) and not the M ambient.

I have a new puppy so am busy and haven’t been able to do the mods that I have on my new car yet, but can report back when I do!
I'm definitely interested to hear how the install goes. I really want that matte carbon in my 23 M240i.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2023, 09:49 AM   #20
orionstudt
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Update: it’s tough. It definitely seems like the screen has to come off and all of the screws for that are hidden and inaccessible. Im still working on it
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2023, 08:36 AM   #21
OriginalFake
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 M240i

Quote:
Update: it’s tough. It definitely seems like the screen has to come off and all of the screws for that are hidden and inaccessible. Im still working on it
This is what I was afraid of. Any further updates?
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2023, 11:19 AM   #22
orionstudt
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OriginalFake View Post
This is what I was afraid of. Any further updates?
Once I figured out the screen would have to come off I started looking into a shop that would do it. I’m having a local bimmer performance shop do the dash + wheel install tomorrow - pics to come!
Appreciate 3