Drives: BMW

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [0.00]
2010 BMW M3  [6.50]
2015 BMW M4  [5.25]
▀▄ eas | AWRON - Smart CANFlap Exhaust Valve Controller for BMW

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
EAS is proud to be the US importer for AWRON controllers for over 15 years.

AWRON is an established and growing company specializing in the development and installation of intelligent technical applications for race track enthusiasts. AWRON products range from plug-and-play on-board displays to advanced OBD systems or tailor-made tuning packages that increase the power and performance of your engine. All Awron products are manufactured in Germany and meet the highest quality standards both in terms of raw materials and processing.

New to the product lineup is the AWRON CANFlap - the first Smart EVC controller for Exhaust Sound at the touch of a button! No more fumbling with key FOBs or extra clutter taking up your interior space. OEM CAN-based operation allows you to open and close the exhaust flap at any time by using the existing exhaust flap button in the center console.

Features
- Exhaust Valves are fully controllable via Sound Control Button (center console) using factory CAN commands for complete exhaust valve flap control
- Full Control over your Exhaust Valves. Enjoy the rumble of your engine!
- Sound Tuning: Factory ASD (Active Sound Design: artificial exhaust sound via the speakers) can be deactivated
- Auto Start-Stop Deactivation: Permanently set whether MSA is enabled or disabled
- Auto-Bypass Mode when Diagnostic Equipment is plugged into OBD2 port
- Configuration via Windows PC software and USB connection
- Integrated Exhaust Flap Safety Mode
- E1 E-Mark/CE Certification

Operation
- Factory mounted Sound Control Button (center console) allows you to open and close the exhaust flap at any time, regardless of Sport mode.
- Integrated Panic Mode allows for instant valve closure by pressing both M1/M2 buttons with visual confirmation on instrument cluster
- SmartMode prevents accidental valve closure over 50mph

With the AWRON CANFlap control, you have full control over your Exhaust Valve Controller (EVC) at any time. One press of the existing Sound Control/Exhaust Flap Control button and the flap is operated independently of Sport mode. This allows you to fully open and enjoy the sound of your BMW - whenever you desire. The selected exhaust flap position is recalled after restarting the vehicle (memory function). In addition, the flap control has a "safety mode" in which the flaps remain closed at speeds of up to 50mph.

When you purchase the AWRON CANFlap control for BMW, you get an exclusive product that will provide pure and unique driving pleasure. PC configuration software is provided to adjust the variable functions of the EVC controller and when the valves are opened or closed. For example, valves can be set to activate at a preset RPM or pedal position.

The AWRON CAN exhaust flap control also has an integrated "safety mode" that can be activated by pressing the M1 and M2 buttons on the steering wheel simultaneously for 3 seconds. When the safety mode is activated, the exhaust flaps remain closed up to a speed of 50mph. A BMW gong sounds and the message "TRIGGER" is displayed in the combination instrument display to indicate that the safety mode is activated. If the safety mode is no longer needed, it can be deactivated by pressing the M1 and M2 buttons on the steering wheel again or through a key cycle.

No error messages are generated in the error memory of the engine control unit. AWRON's BMW flap control is automatically deactivated when a BMW tester is connected to the vehicle OBD2 plug and non-detectable from factory equipment.

User-configurable example of set exhaust valve operation method:

PC based Software configuration for valve operation, flash configurable via USB

Functions
No key FOBs or mounted switches to fumble with. All control is via center console or shifter paddles. Modules can be updated via USB as new features or changes are introduced.

Technical specifications
- Automotive electronics
- Operating temperature range -40 °C bis +85 °C
- Aluminum casing
- Dimensions L 70mm x W 45mm x H 25mm
- Can be updated via USB

Items included
- AWRON CANFlap module
- BMW-Specific cable set, using OEM connectors
- Installation and operating instructions
- PC configuration software
- USB cable

Models Supported
BMW G80 M3, including Competition
BMW G82 M4, including Competition
BMW G83 M4 Competition

Pricing and additional info can be discussed via PM or found on our website. AWRON CanFlap kits are currently shipping/installing now.

GET DAILY UPDATES ON OUR BLOG · FACEBOOK · YOUTUBE · FLICKR · INSTAGRAM
Appreciate 9
M3 boi3211.00
jmg18680.50
Lifted55.50
M Division1196.00
Soul_Glo13346.00
OwnerF16852.00
      02-09-2023, 11:12 PM   #2
Bumper2Bumper
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Tesla Model Y (G80 On Order)

Could you further explain what the Safety Mode is all about? Thx
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2023, 05:39 AM   #3
superiaultra
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Red M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumper2Bumper View Post
The AWRON CAN exhaust flap control also has an integrated "safety mode" that can be activated by pressing the M1 and M2 buttons on the steering wheel simultaneously for 3 seconds. When the safety mode is activated, the exhaust flaps remain closed up to a speed of 50mph. A BMW gong sounds and the message "TRIGGER" is displayed in the combination instrument display to indicate that the safety mode is activated. If the safety mode is no longer needed, it can be deactivated by pressing the M1 and M2 buttons on the steering wheel again or through a key cycle.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2023, 08:48 AM   #4
to///m
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 CX

Garage List
2023 BMW M3 CX  [9.50]
2018 BMW X5  [0.00]
2018 Ford Raptor  [0.00]
Any info on installation process and difficulty?

2023 BG G80 ///M3 COMP XDRIVE
Dinan CF Intake | Valvetronic SS Full Exhaust | AST Adjustable Springs | UNIT 17 Front Splitter | UNIT 17 Sideskirts | BC Forged HSC21 Wheels 20x10 et12 / 20x11 et12
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2023, 08:57 AM   #5
Bumper2Bumper
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Tesla Model Y (G80 On Order)

Quote:
Originally Posted by superiaultra View Post
Thanks, I was looking for more info. Why is there a safety mode. Can the vehicle be damaged if the valves are open or closed at certain speeds for extended times? When would one activate this mode and why?
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2023, 09:24 AM   #6
superiaultra
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Red M3

Quote:
Thanks, I was looking for more info. Why is there a safety mode. Can the vehicle be damaged if the valves are open or closed at certain speeds for extended times? When would one activate this mode and why?
No idea boss lol I just copied and pasted it from one of the paragraphs Tom linked. My guess is, there will be times someone will have the valves permanently closed, say on the highway for a long trip, and want to do a pull or pass a car, and with valves fully closed it might make too much back pressure or something.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2023, 12:38 PM   #7
tom @ eas
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [0.00]
2010 BMW M3  [6.50]
2015 BMW M4  [5.25]
Quote:
Originally Posted by to///m View Post
Any info on installation process and difficulty?
Very similar to install the Awron displays on the F8x chassis. Install should be about an hour.

Quote:
Some mods are strictly regulated overseas, this is intended as a "panic" mode to close the valves and remain closed for up to 50mph. This can be turned off by pressing the M1/M2 buttons again or it will reset during a ignition cycle.

For those with loud systems, this can be extremely helpful in a moment's notice to prevent a ticket.

Appreciate 3
M3 boi3211.00
6speed_M23633.50
      02-10-2023, 01:27 PM   #8
FC4
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Yes

I'm having a hard time understanding what this unit does that the existing exhaust button doesn't.

Currently, if I press the button, exhaust flaps open and fake sound is played through the speakers...right? I can also program M1/M2 buttons to open the flaps. What changes after installing this?
Appreciate 1
      02-10-2023, 01:44 PM   #9
to///m
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 CX

Garage List
2023 BMW M3 CX  [9.50]
2018 BMW X5  [0.00]
2018 Ford Raptor  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom @ eas View Post
Very similar to install the Awron displays on the F8x chassis. Install should be about an hour.
Hey Tom, I have no clue about installation on the Awron displays for the F8x chassis. I came from an E92 and E46 M3, skipped the F80s. Never heard of Awron until this post.

I like the fact that it utilizes the OEM exhaust button to fully open valves, no codes, programable, ect... but just trying to understand how this connects to the car and if install is something I can do myself!

2023 BG G80 ///M3 COMP XDRIVE
Dinan CF Intake | Valvetronic SS Full Exhaust | AST Adjustable Springs | UNIT 17 Front Splitter | UNIT 17 Sideskirts | BC Forged HSC21 Wheels 20x10 et12 / 20x11 et12
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2023, 01:49 PM   #10
forcefed
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: .

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom @ eas View Post
- Sound Tuning: Factory ASD (Active Sound Design: artificial exhaust sound via the speakers) can be deactivated
Even on iDrive8 cars? 🤔
Appreciate 2
ceevee12.00
wavyyyy1045.50
      02-10-2023, 03:07 PM   #11
rx8wanki
Private
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 Comp Skyscraper Grey

I already installed the Module and it works Perfect for me . The Panic Mode is Specially designed for countries which Restricted the use of These Kind of Systems like Germany 😏
Appreciate 1
OwnerF16852.00
      02-10-2023, 03:19 PM   #12
MachinesWithSouls
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 6MT

Garage List
2022 BMW M3  [10.00]
Or just delete the valve, and the muffler, and the resonators like I did because screw the neighbors.
Mandingo93498.50
TTBear414.50
FISH225402.50
Tenac4538.50
mydxb59.00
      02-10-2023, 04:39 PM   #13
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

I have always loved AWRON's products. This one is no exception.
Appreciate 1
      02-10-2023, 04:52 PM   #14
tom @ eas
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [0.00]
2010 BMW M3  [6.50]
2015 BMW M4  [5.25]
Quote:
Originally Posted by FC4 View Post
I'm having a hard time understanding what this unit does that the existing exhaust button doesn't.

Currently, if I press the button, exhaust flaps open and fake sound is played through the speakers...right? I can also program M1/M2 buttons to open the flaps. What changes after installing this?
Stock EVC operation can be found in the BMW G8X Complete Vehicle Guide:

Electrically controlled exhaust flaps

The exhaust flap is integrated into the rear silencer in the outer exhaust tailpipes. The exhaust flap is operated by an axially arranged electric motor with integrated gears and electronics. The electrical controller for the exhaust flap has the following connections:
  • Voltage Supply (+)
  • Ground (-)
  • Acutating Wire (signal line)

The exhaust flaps furthermore help to suppress frequencies that are perceived as unpleasant and thereby improve driving comfort. At high engine speeds and high engine loads, the exhaust gas counterpressure can be reduced by opening the exhaust flap.

The exhaust flap is activated using PWM (Pulse Width Modulation) by the DME. The input variables are:
  • Engine Speed
  • Engine Load
  • Driving Speed

Electrical Exhaust Flap >>S58 Engine
Installation Location >> Right & Left
PWM Signal Open >> 10% duty cycle
PWM Signal Closed >> 90% duty cycle

The exhaust flaps of the exhaust system can achieve intermediate settings. Therefore it is possible for the exhaust to be continuously variably adjusted to any position. The exhaust flaps are actuated with demand and can be set via the functions of the SETUP button in the central information display (CID) to either "EFFICIENT", "SPORT" and "SPORT+".

The position of the exhaust flaps can additionally be influenced by means of the sound button in the center console switch cluster. Because no default value is stored in the "EFFICIENT" engine dynamics control for the engine start sound that would lower the noise level, it is possible that this would have an unfavorable effect on the sound produced by the vehicle in residential areas. For this reason, the exhaust flaps can be influenced and closed independently of the engine dynamics control setting to EFFICIENT, SPORT or SPORT+ via the sound button. By pressing the sound button, the sound produced can quickly be changed to a quieter exhaust without influencing the engine dynamics control settings.

Sounds Control sound pattern - Active Sound Design ASD and Exhaust Flaps
  • COMFORT (OFF) sound of the exhaust system, comfort
  • SPORT (ON) sounds of the exhaust system, sporty

The exhaust flaps operate in a variable pattern as defined above, they are not simply only open or closed. The AWRON CanFlap gives you complete and total control, overriding the OEM variable control of the exhaust flaps, (including the option to disable ASD, among other features) and define your own opening/closing profiles using the provided software and configuring the module to suit one's taste.

Quote:
Originally Posted by forcefed View Post
Even on iDrive8 cars? ��
Even on ID8 cars.

Appreciate 0
      02-10-2023, 07:35 PM   #15
VioletBlue_M3
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '23 M3 Competition xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by G80M_GOD View Post
Way too much complicated wiring and hassle. Go VSC-2 and just leave it open
This is more than a simple valve controller like the VSC-2 or other units though. Value also lies in the additional features. For some, being able to fully turn of ASD and also control the valves with the OEM exhaust button, but with the exacting controls you set, makes this much more than just a "valve" controller.
Lifted55.50
      02-10-2023, 07:37 PM   #16
VioletBlue_M3
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '23 M3 Competition xDrive

Garage List
Now I'm trying to decide if I use the Dahler unit I already purchased or go this route for the extra control, additional features, and oem like integration. Hmm.
      02-10-2023, 08:11 PM   #17
Indo Rider
Captain
Rep
Drives: 135

Quote:
Way too much complicated wiring and hassle. Go VSC-2 and just leave it open
If you just want it open, mechanically fix the valves open. No need to spend money for anything. VSC-2 is a POS, just check the other thread. This option seems legit if you're willing to put a little time into the install, but time will tell if it's reliable and issue free.
Appreciate 1
FISH225402.50
      02-10-2023, 08:21 PM   #18
cncmastr
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30 M3 Cecotto, F85, G05, G07,

Garage List
2018 X5 M  [0.00]
2020 M2 CS  [10.00]
2005 BMW X5 4.8is  [0.00]
2006 BMW M3  [10.00]
Glad Awron is back!
      02-10-2023, 10:27 PM   #19
Nkr15
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M3

If I use BimmerCode to code off ASD and set M1 to closed valves and M2 to sport plus open valves. Isn’t pressing M1 the same as the panic feature? I don’t care for opening valves 100%.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2023, 05:03 AM   #20
forcefed
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: .

Quote:
You’re giving it too much credit- bimmercode turns off ASD too, which I’ve done, still much cheaper and trouble free. Remote programmed to mirror and it’s a wrap- VSC-2 is easy and whatever failures they had were reworked, so it’s all good.
Not if you have iDrive8, build quality of the vsc2 is also up in the air.
Appreciate 2
      02-11-2023, 12:01 PM   #21
G30 B58
Pace Car Driver
Rep
Drives: '22 AW G30 B58 M-Sport

Quote:
Neighbors?
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2023, 01:48 PM   #22
tom @ eas
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [0.00]
2010 BMW M3  [6.50]
2015 BMW M4  [5.25]
Quote:
Originally Posted by forcefed View Post
Not if you have iDrive8, build quality of the vsc2 is also up in the air.
And the ability to flash firmware on the Awron keeps the door open on bugfixes or upgrades.

Appreciate 1
forcefed2561.00