home
BMW 2 Series Technical Topics (G42) Wheels / Tires

01-30-2023, 01:55 PM   #1
XC3LLR8
Banned
Rep
Drives: Super73

Winter Tires on OEM 893M (ZTK)

Heading on a business trip in a few weeks from TX to northern Maryland and planning on driving; at 65.5 cents per mile, why not? I've done this drive many times over the last 25 years in both cars and motorcycles, but not usually in the winter.

About an hour ago I went out to get sandwiches right as sleet and freezing rain started to arrive, but it was much worse just a mile west of the house. I could barely get the car to turn at 4-way stop signs, so these Michelin PS4S's are the last thing I want if I end up in wintery conditions 1,000 miles from home.

I'm considering ordering a set of winter tires for the trip, just to be safe, and will put them on the ZTK's 893M wheels, which are 8.5" and 9.5". My question for the winter tire experts is should I go with 235/40 or 255/35? The plan is a square setup, and both 235 and 255 are acceptable (according to TireRack) on both the 8.5" and 9.5" wheels.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-31-2023, 02:30 AM   #2
tahoeacr
Private
Rep
Drives: 23 M240IX

My kind of discussion. Short form get the 235's. I would probably even go with 225's because you will end up with about an inch narrower tread width than the 235's. Narrow for your rear rims but I'm a function over form kind of guy. I'm familiar with the highways you will be on but not in the Winter. Don't know how bad the ice/snow can get. I've tested a lot of tires in the Winter but not the Pirelli's yet. I like the specs of them though as they're narrower for their sizing.
Appreciate 1
XC3LLR82062.50
      01-31-2023, 10:37 AM   #3
XC3LLR8
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tahoeacr View Post
My kind of discussion. Short form get the 235's. I would probably even go with 225's because you will end up with about an inch narrower tread width than the 235's. Narrow for your rear rims but I'm a function over form kind of guy. I'm familiar with the highways you will be on but not in the Winter. Don't know how bad the ice/snow can get. I've tested a lot of tires in the Winter but not the Pirelli's yet. I like the specs of them though as they're narrower for their sizing.
Interstate/highways will be used just to get out of the boring areas. Once I get further east I'll probably be on the backroads of KY and WV, then coming back I plan to do the entire Skyline Drive and Blue Ridge Parkway (about 500 miles just for this road). I've done those roads going east, but never the full roads going west. And of course finish it up with the Tail of The Dragon.

My dilemma is not knowing how much snow, especially deep snow, I'll actually encounter, if any snow at all? If I lived in the snowbelt the skinnier tire would be a no-brainer. However, the reality is I'll likely keep the tires mounted until spring, in which case I may prefer the wider tires for dry (but cold) roads.

The 225 is outside of TireRack's specs for the 9.5" rear, although it would likely still work. I also like the idea of the PILOT ALPIN PA4 N-SPEC - SIZE: 235/40R19, as it was designed for Porsche's driven in the snow. A little pricier than the Pirelli's, but they also seem to outperform in the reviews.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...A4N0&tab=Sizes
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2023, 03:49 PM   #4
hooked
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M240i xDrive

225/40 and 255/35

I have the Winter Sottozero 3 on my OEM 893Ms. Went with 225/40 front and 255/35 rear. ZERO REGRETS. I was actually surprised how well they handled compared to the Michelin PS4S that came off. I was expecting more of a drop, but the tires are excellent and the car handles great in the cold/rain/snow. I drove the car from home in eastern MA to Lake Placid NY last weekend and drove through the mountains in Vermont on my way during a snowfall. Tires acquitted themselves very nicely.

The only negative is they do add a little bit more road noise compared to the PS4s but after a few days I got used to it and it doesn't bother me at all. On the positive side, they don't pick up every pebble and bounce it off the inside of the wheel wells like the PS4S do!

I *wonder* if a 225 or 235 on the rear wheel would be too narrow?

In any event, super happy with this configuration. Safe travels!
Appreciate 1
XC3LLR82062.50
      01-31-2023, 04:37 PM   #5
XC3LLR8
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooked View Post
I have the Winter Sottozero 3 on my OEM 893Ms. Went with 225/40 front and 255/35 rear. ZERO REGRETS. I was actually surprised how well they handled compared to the Michelin PS4S that came off. I was expecting more of a drop, but the tires are excellent and the car handles great in the cold/rain/snow. I drove the car from home in eastern MA to Lake Placid NY last weekend and drove through the mountains in Vermont on my way during a snowfall. Tires acquitted themselves very nicely.

The only negative is they do add a little bit more road noise compared to the PS4s but after a few days I got used to it and it doesn't bother me at all. On the positive side, they don't pick up every pebble and bounce it off the inside of the wheel wells like the PS4S do!

I *wonder* if a 225 or 235 on the rear wheel would be too narrow?

In any event, super happy with this configuration. Safe travels!
Glad you posted this, and happy with your choice, as this is the route I decided earlier today.

The 225/40's are coming from CO, the 255/35's are coming from CT, and the tire duffel bags are coming from LA, with everything supposedly here by 2/6. We'll see since the whole DFW area is covered in ice.
Appreciate 2
      01-31-2023, 04:54 PM   #6
XC3LLR8
Banned
Rep

With winter tires soon to be on the 893's, I think soon I'll order Apex VS-5RS in 19x9.5 ET25 (Supra wheels), or 19x9 ET25 in satin black with 255/35 in Michelin PS4S square setup.

Still trying to decide if I want the deeper concave look of the 9.5", or the less aggressive, and a little lighter, 9" wheels?

It's hard to tell any difference from the pics below, but on the Apex website when you go back-n-forth with the selections it's a lot more obvious.

I think the 9.5" may be the better option for a flush fit with the ZTK package, and the 9" better with the non-ZTK.
Attached Images

Last edited by XC3LLR8; 01-31-2023 at 05:01 PM..
Appreciate 1
      02-01-2023, 01:17 AM   #7
tahoeacr
Private
Rep
Drives: 23 M240IX

Now you didn't mention Tail of the Dragon at first. Pull rear seats. Add shipping blankets. Bring track tires. Lol. Since you're swinging by there, I would give up a little for better times there. You made the right choice. I talked to my buddy out in W.Virginia. He is a trucker that runs all over out that way. He told me they never get more than 5-6 inches of snow usually. Don't know if you drive in snow much but there usually is better traction in the deep stuff if you have to stop fast. The grooves that everyone follows in gets icy. The snow melts as traffic rolls over it. Gets packed down then refreezes. It's ok if you have a lot of room in front of you. But, if it hits the fan, edge into the stuff with no tracks. Stay out of the berms created by the snow plows. There are ice boulders in them that might jack up that nice oil cooler under your front end.
Appreciate 1
XC3LLR82062.50
      02-01-2023, 08:56 AM   #8
XC3LLR8
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tahoeacr View Post
Now you didn't mention Tail of the Dragon at first. Pull rear seats. Add shipping blankets. Bring track tires. Lol. Since you're swinging by there, I would give up a little for better times there. You made the right choice. I talked to my buddy out in W.Virginia. He is a trucker that runs all over out that way. He told me they never get more than 5-6 inches of snow usually. Don't know if you drive in snow much but there usually is better traction in the deep stuff if you have to stop fast. The grooves that everyone follows in gets icy. The snow melts as traffic rolls over it. Gets packed down then refreezes. It's ok if you have a lot of room in front of you. But, if it hits the fan, edge into the stuff with no tracks. Stay out of the berms created by the snow plows. There are ice boulders in them that might jack up that nice oil cooler under your front end.
Good advice on the tire tracks!

The Dragon is fun, but I've done it more times than I can remember - both cars and motorcycles. It's not my favorite road as 318 turns in 11 miles becomes a little repetitive and I start missing some high speed sweepers.

One of the best roads in America, and one most have never heard of, is the Queen Wilhelmina Talimena Scenic Drive, which crosses from OK into AR. Don't miss it if you're ever in the area!
Appreciate 2
      02-01-2023, 10:57 AM   #9
OriginalFake
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 M240i

The Cherohala Skyway is better than the Dragon as well. You can do both of them since they are close to each other.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2023, 10:59 AM   #10
XC3LLR8
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OriginalFake View Post
The Cherohala Skyway is better than the Dragon as well. You can do both of them since they are close to each other.
Yep, forgot about that one - driven it a few times as well.
Appreciate 1
      03-06-2023, 11:01 AM   #11
bvvct
Banned
Rep
Drives: m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by XC3LLR8 View Post
Heading on a business trip in a few weeks from TX to northern Maryland and planning on driving; at 65.5 cents per mile, why not? I've done this drive many times over the last 25 years in both cars and motorcycles, but not usually in the winter.

About an hour ago I went out to get sandwiches right as sleet and freezing rain started to arrive, but it was much worse just a mile west of the house. I could barely get the car to turn at 4-way stop signs, so these Michelin PS4S's are the last thing I want if I end up in wintery conditions 1,000 miles from home.

I'm considering ordering a set of winter tires for the trip, just to be safe, and will put them on the ZTK's 893M wheels, which are 8.5" and 9.5". My question for the winter tire experts is should I go with 235/40 or 255/35? The plan is a square setup, and both 235 and 255 are acceptable (according to TireRack) on both the 8.5" and 9.5" wheels.
Where can I get at a cheaper price ??
Appreciate 0